Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 07:50:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228060 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash on Chinese Democracy ?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash on Chinese Democracy ?  (Read 20465 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2006, 09:16:40 PM »

But I think Slash would make it sound dated. His guitar work in Velvet Revolver has a very 'old' sound to it.

You must be listening to a different Contraband than me, because it doesn't resemble Slash of old to me.
On Contraband it sounded like Slash was stepping away from his usual bag of tricks and trying something new, a little more alternative than what he played in GN'R.

And I know it's all down to personal taste and all, but of all the words I'd use to describe Slash's guitar work as on Contraband, "old-sounding" isn't what springs to mind.

Contraband didnt really sound anything like Slash to me and it certainly didnt sound dated. That doesnt mean that I thought it was particularly great. But that was due to the most part to Scotts truly appalling lyrics.

I'm sure the new album will show us what Slash still capable of. To say the guy is average is beyond a joke and the mutterings of an obsessed fanboy.

Haha, this is slowly turning into a Contraband review thread. I actually like Scott's lyrics on there, but that's another topic altogether...
On Contraband Slash still showed moments of what he's capable of - that solo in You Got No Right is amazing and up there with his best GN'R work.

As for whether Slash appears on CD or not. I would hope not.

I think all it would prove is that Axl can't write anything of his own without relying on contributions from ex-members, and I also I think the new guys have worked way too hard on this to have the credit go to someone who is no longer in the band.

When the reunion ever happens, Slash and Axl will hopefully record again, but I really wanna hear what Finck, Fortus and Bucket/Bumble have come up with for CD.

This I Love was the only rumored song Slash was every supposed to be on.. From what I know.. Slash is one of the best rock guitarists ever... i can't beleive what i am reading here..
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2006, 11:51:43 PM »

But I think Slash would make it sound dated. His guitar work in Velvet Revolver has a very 'old' sound to it.

You must be listening to a different Contraband than me, because it doesn't resemble Slash of old to me.
On Contraband it sounded like Slash was stepping away from his usual bag of tricks and trying something new, a little more alternative than what he played in GN'R.

And I know it's all down to personal taste and all, but of all the words I'd use to describe Slash's guitar work as on Contraband, "old-sounding" isn't what springs to mind.

Contraband didnt really sound anything like Slash to me and it certainly didnt sound dated. That doesnt mean that I thought it was particularly great. But that was due to the most part to Scotts truly appalling lyrics.

I'm sure the new album will show us what Slash still capable of. To say the guy is average is beyond a joke and the mutterings of an obsessed fanboy.

Haha, this is slowly turning into a Contraband review thread. I actually like Scott's lyrics on there, but that's another topic altogether...
On Contraband Slash still showed moments of what he's capable of - that solo in You Got No Right is amazing and up there with his best GN'R work.

As for whether Slash appears on CD or not. I would hope not.

I think all it would prove is that Axl can't write anything of his own without relying on contributions from ex-members, and I also I think the new guys have worked way too hard on this to have the credit go to someone who is no longer in the band.

When the reunion ever happens, Slash and Axl will hopefully record again, but I really wanna hear what Finck, Fortus and Bucket/Bumble have come up with for CD.

This I Love was the only rumored song Slash was every supposed to be on.. From what I know.. Slash is one of the best rock guitarists ever... i can't beleive what i am reading here..

Don't get me wrong, I would love to hear some new Axl/Slash music as much as anyone.
But saying I hope Slash isn't on CD, is because he's been out of the band for 10 f'n years and it would seem silly to have him on there.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2006, 03:08:19 AM »

I dont think Slash has anything to do with it, according to Slash he brought Axl a bunch of song ideas which Axl rejected, which later became "its five oclock somewhere" by Slashs snakepit.... I dont hear any Slash influence at all on the leaks.....
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2006, 04:20:11 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I would love to hear some new Axl/Slash music as much as anyone.
But saying I hope Slash isn't on CD, is because he's been out of the band for 10 f'n years and it would seem silly to have him on there.

I second that. There's this new band, and it's their record. Their music. But what I actually wanted to know is did Slash or Duff do ANYTHING for CD in the early days of the album. But even if they did, I don't think anyone can really hear it on the current versions of the songs.. but the rumour about Duff is really bothering me.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2006, 06:27:11 AM »

Slash has nothing to do with Chinese Democracy.

Won't even be mentioned.

Plus, why should he ?

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2006, 07:28:24 AM »

I second that. There's this new band, and it's their record. Their music. But what I actually wanted to know is did Slash or Duff do ANYTHING for CD in the early days of the album. But even if they did, I don't think anyone can really hear it on the current versions of the songs.. but the rumour about Duff is really bothering me.

There's talk about Snakepit stuff being all that Slash contributed to GN'R's follow up to TSI & UYI, but I remember reading one of Slash's last interviews before leaving the band, he said that they were trading tapes and working on "Axl's songs" and it having an aggressive/angry vibe, being that's where they stemmed from to begin with.
So I believe Slash did work on it in the early stages.

I would wonder if anything from those early sessions has been kept. But like I said too, it's been 10 years and so much material has apparently been worked on, who knows what will finally end up on CD.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Ride Her
Headliner

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2006, 07:49:43 AM »

There's talk about Snakepit stuff being all that Slash contributed to GN'R's follow up to TSI & UYI, but I remember reading one of Slash's last interviews before leaving the band, he said that they were trading tapes and working on "Axl's songs" and it having an aggressive/angry vibe, being that's where they stemmed from to begin with.
So I believe Slash did work on it in the early stages.

I would wonder if anything from those early sessions has been kept. But like I said too, it's been 10 years and so much material has apparently been worked on, who knows what will finally end up on CD.

All those songs got lost, slash said
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2006, 08:21:01 AM »

I dont think Slash has anything to do with it, according to Slash he brought Axl a bunch of song ideas which Axl rejected, which later became "its five oclock somewhere" by Slashs snakepit.... I dont hear any Slash influence at all on the leaks.....

No, what happened was, Slash went off on his own and wrote & recorded the material that became 'Five O Clock Somewhere', except without vocals. Axl saw this material, and said it wasn't bad, and that it could be the next GN'R album. He asked Slash to let him take the material, put his own little touch on it, and they'd release it as the next Guns record. Slash absolutely refused, and said take it or leave it, but it's fine the way it is, and it won't be changed. Axl refused to put it out the way it currently was, and put the GN'R stamp on it.

Their relationship was downhill from there. If I remember correctly that was the last time they saw each other for many many many years.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2006, 10:05:31 PM »

The current players are aware of Slash's style and realize it is part of GNR.  That is why solo's like the blues and such sound like something Slash may play.  Did Fink ever sound like that in NIN?  No.  These guys play solos in a GNR type style for the most part.  However, they don't have the sexyness in the guitar playing Slash had.  But put these guys in their own forum and they don't play like they do for GNR.  In GNR, they try to recapture a GNR sound of the past.  Does anyone know what I am saying?  ha.
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2006, 01:22:05 AM »

No, what happened was, Slash went off on his own and wrote & recorded the material that became 'Five O Clock Somewhere', except without vocals. Axl saw this material, and said it wasn't bad, and that it could be the next GN'R album. He asked Slash to let him take the material, put his own little touch on it, and they'd release it as the next Guns record. Slash absolutely refused, and said take it or leave it, but it's fine the way it is, and it won't be changed. Axl refused to put it out the way it currently was, and put the GN'R stamp on it.

Their relationship was downhill from there. If I remember correctly that was the last time they saw each other for many many many years.
The Legend, you are so wrong, it's not even funny. You are inventing things to present Axl in a flattering light.

JohnSDMF is right. Slash came up with ideas which were rejected by Axl.
Axl wanted to transform completely GNR's sound (introduction of indus and techno influences). The result is Silkworms, Oh my god, Better, etc. And GN'R split...

When Slash decided to release his songs as a solo project, Axl went mad and threatened with lawsuits... Axl wanted to control everything, he thought Slash was his property. Axl only owns the GN'R logo, which is not a lot without Slash, Izzy and Duff.

I'll download it !
kaasupoltin
Legend

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2006, 02:24:14 AM »

JohnSDMF is right. Slash came up with ideas which were rejected by Axl.
Axl wanted to transform completely GNR's sound (introduction of indus and techno influences). The result is Silkworms, Oh my god, Better, etc. And GN'R split...

That's right, but I don't fully agree with the "Axl wanted to transform completely..". It's true he wanted to change the style but didn't Sorum say that they were recording short pure rock n' roll songs at that time? But yes, Axl also wanted add some techno stuff..

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

Look at the lies Slash is leading

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2006, 05:28:25 AM »

Those who don't want Slash on CD are haters. Sad

FFS ! give it up? ! if some people doesn?t like slash guitar-fills on some album..then so be it !

Why talk about Slash here..Why bad-mouth GN?R here ?

Why don?t you give it a rest ?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 05:30:21 AM by Adler_Sorum_Brain » Logged

As the dust settled, Axl stared unblinkingly at me and, with no hint of irony, summed up GN?R?s philosophy: ?We don?t start anything. But if you mess with us, then we?ll fuck you up!
kaasupoltin
Legend

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2006, 05:39:00 AM »

Have you ever heard about a Guns n' Roses line-up where was this guy called Slash? The guy with that huge hairstyle.. ring-a-bell? Have you ever heard about opinions? Do you know that you're on a Guns n' Roses message board?

If you do know that, you should also know answers for your own questions. This thread is going nowhere, lock.

BEEP.
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2006, 05:41:20 AM »

Axl's band is still playing Slash's material, isn't it ? And Slash is a GN'R icon, so why can't we speak about him ?

Plus, I'm not "bad-mouthing" GN'R at all.

If you don't like this thread go somewhere else. There are a lot of threads for the Finck's fanboys.

I'll download it !
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2006, 05:52:40 AM »

Do you know that you're on a Guns n' Roses message board?

Exactly, but last time I've checked, Slash was not a part of GN'R anymore. Hmm let me do the math ... 10 years, right ?

They are not haters. I'm not a hater.

But Slash has nothing to do with Chinese Democracy. Slash did not wrote the material. It's not his album. Never have been. Slash isn't in the band. He left.

If you don't like this thread go somewhere else. There are a lot of threads for the Finck's fanboys.

Kind of cynical, right ?

Just a question : what's going to happen with all the new lineup hatters if Chinese Democracy is a really great Rock N' Roll album ?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 06:00:07 AM by NicoRourke » Logged

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
kaasupoltin
Legend

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2006, 05:55:19 AM »

Do you know that you're on a Guns n' Roses message board?

Exaclty, but last time I've checked, Slash was not a part of GN'R anymore. Hmm let me do the math ... 10 years, right ?

Ok so we can't talk about Gn'R's history anymore.. if you want to continue, please PM.

BEEP.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2006, 07:46:42 AM »

i hate these people who say slashs playing is "average". If it wasnt for him, you would not have all those great gnr songs from appetite, lies, illusions!!!!

Slash puts feeling into his playing, he doesnt just shred mindlessly, like some previous gnr members that like fast food.

html sucks
kaasupoltin
Legend

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2006, 07:52:44 AM »

..like some previous gnr members that like fast food.

That's classic rofl

BEEP.
JB9988
VIP

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2006, 08:48:46 AM »

What if Slash is on Chinese Democracy ? Do you think it is possible that he recorded something for CD ?

Having Slash on a couple of songs with Izzy would be so great ! It would give a new dimension to CD.
what are you a fucking idiot! Slash sucks, lets hope to god hes not on it.
Izzy now wont be on this one but may be on another cd guns puts out.

Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

Look at the lies Slash is leading

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2006, 08:51:04 AM »

Axl's band is still playing Slash's material, isn't it ? And Slash is a GN'R icon, so why can't we speak about him ?

Plus, I'm not "bad-mouthing" GN'R at all.

And VR is playing Axl material !!!..Fuck this..You are 10 years to late to come with this...And besides...Everything that is Slash material..is also Axl?s material..Because slash couldn?t write the words to a children-song? yes !

And you have the wrong attitude...You started a intresting topic..but then you turned this into a " Slash is original ,Slash is great, Axl should play his own stuff "....But once again - SLASH STUFF IS AXL?S STUFF...AND AXL?S STUFF, IS SLASH STUFF..Get it ??..no ??

I like Slash , and i like Finck..and i like Axl...And i like GNR
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 08:55:29 AM by Adler_Sorum_Brain » Logged

As the dust settled, Axl stared unblinkingly at me and, with no hint of irony, summed up GN?R?s philosophy: ?We don?t start anything. But if you mess with us, then we?ll fuck you up!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: