Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 10:40:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228058 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  were GNR the biggest rock band ever??
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: were GNR the biggest rock band ever??  (Read 10815 times)
guns_n_motley
« on: December 27, 2006, 11:39:07 PM »

Really, when you think about it. They sold 70million albums in the span of about 5-6years.and with only really 3 albums of new material..1 ep. It took the stones, ac/dc etc. who all have sales like that almost decade and several cds etc. to do those kind of sales.

not to mention on the illusion tour they were playing stadiums..

your opinion? I think they if anything probably are the band who had the fastest rise to popularity
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 07:52:37 AM »

Me, I'd change the "Were" in the title to "Are."  The GnR story is far from over...
Amanda.
Rocker

Damn, I'm a legend.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 08:01:15 AM »

i think they are. (maybe cause' i'm a hardcorefan.)
Of course people have opinions. Some would say that gn'r is the worst band ever.

Guns N?Roses @ Hartwall Arena 6.7.06

I'M SO NEXT CENTURY.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 09:56:29 AM »

GN'Rs immense success is kind of unique in musical history. I think only the Beatles can compare really.

If they had carried on with the same lineup, one could might exclude Popcorn, and released Chinese Democracy in the late 90s we could have been looking at U2 popularity and Led Zeppelin greatness today.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 10:01:32 AM »

GN'Rs immense success is kind of unique in musical history. I think only the Beatles can compare really.

If they had carried on with the same lineup, one could might exclude Popcorn, and released Chinese Democracy in the late 90s we could have been looking at U2 popularity and Led Zeppelin greatness today.

U2 popularity? you must be joking  Grin
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 01:00:04 PM »

I always refer to them as the "greatest hard rock band ever." 

When I say this, I'm referring specifically to the quality of their musicianship on the material they've released.  What I don't include, but I'm sure others would, is some sense of band longevity.  If this is part of the calculation, I'm sure Aerosmith or AC/DC would be a better choice.  Those bands have been around a LONG time, but have also released some less than spectacular albums.  There's no questioning that they're great, but I truly believe GNR's music is better.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 01:44:26 PM »

At the time of the late 80s, early 90s, they certainly were. You couldn't take a dump without hearing or seeing something about GNR at that time. They were everywhere. I remember that time so well, it was a great time to love this band that was so badass and had such a fuck you attitude. They certainly have been eclipsed by U2 especially, but even Nirvana didn't quite reach the frenzy that GNR did at the time. So, yes, for a time they were. They can be again too, if Axl plays his cards right. So far, he hasn't done such a good job at that.

Megaguns
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 07:47:33 PM »

They definately were the biggest band on the planet in the early 90s, I dont know if there popularity would have lasted had they stayed togethor and released an album every 2 years or so, who knows really, The publics appetite for a new GnR record is probably as strong now as it was in 1996.
They just sort of dissapeared at the top of their game. Kinda sad in a way.
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 07:52:05 PM »

At the time of the late 80s, early 90s, they certainly were. You couldn't take a dump without hearing or seeing something about GNR at that time. They were everywhere. I remember that time so well, it was a great time to love this band that was so badass and had such a fuck you attitude. They certainly have been eclipsed by U2 especially, but even Nirvana didn't quite reach the frenzy that GNR did at the time. So, yes, for a time they were. They can be again too, if Axl plays his cards right. So far, he hasn't done such a good job at that.

Nirvana really wasnt all THAT popular at all. I thought they really started becoming the cats meow when GNR kinda took there "break" and especially after Kurt died.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
Chief
Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 12:04:49 AM »

Led Zeppelin is the biggest rock n' roll band ever!

(i put the beatles in a totally different category)

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 02:31:37 AM »

Really, when you think about it. They sold 70million albums in the span of about 5-6years.and with only really 3 albums of new material..1 ep. It took the stones, ac/dc etc. who all have sales like that almost decade and several cds etc. to do those kind of sales.

not to mention on the illusion tour they were playing stadiums..

your opinion? I think they if anything probably are the band who had the fastest rise to popularity

People seem to forget that too. These guys have kept their stature, yet only have three full studio albums to there name, and were gone for 9+3 years. Yet interest in them still remains high.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
nightrain_jh
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 08:19:40 AM »

for "were" read "are".  i believe that with the tour and the rumours of the album release this year the interest in gn'r has been very very high.  all this with no new album in so long.  any other band that had promised and not delivered a new album in so long would not get the coverage that gn'r have had.  they ARE the biggest rock band ever.

Don't Damn Me!!
T_Roxie
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 10:34:52 AM »

They might be be the best rock band, but they arn't the biggest anymore - just look at their ticket sales compared to the Rolling Stones!
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 10:46:00 AM »

Yes they were, and they will be again.

3/6/07.
T_Roxie
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 10:57:08 AM »

Yes they were, and they will be again.

3/6/07.
I didnt say the werent or wont be in the future, but they are not at this moment in time.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 10:58:17 AM »

I was responding to the question asked by the thread, not your post specifically...I agree with you - just saying that I expect things to come around again for Axl & Co. once the album is out.? ? ? ?peace
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 05:41:10 PM »

They definately were...but arent anymore...The biggest band in the world doesnt play to half empty arenas here in the states....u2 sold out something like 7 nights in a row at MSG not long ago...and Bruce Springsteen sold out 10 thats right I said 10 straight dates at Giants Stadium which holds almost 80,000 people....THe concert attendance for the last GNR tour was respectable, especially because they have NO new material....I will say this however..the were the last great rock n roll band...nobody has come out after them that can even challenge them as far as how big they were..Nirvana is way behind in album sales and concert attendance...
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 05:51:40 PM »

They definately were...but arent anymore...The biggest band in the world doesnt play to half empty arenas here in the states....u2 sold out something like 7 nights in a row at MSG not long ago...and Bruce Springsteen sold out 10 thats right I said 10 straight dates at Giants Stadium which holds almost 80,000 people....THe concert attendance for the last GNR tour was respectable, especially because they have NO new material....I will say this however..the were the last great rock n roll band...nobody has come out after them that can even challenge them as far as how big they were..Nirvana is way behind in album sales and concert attendance...

Not necessarily the best comparison, as Nirvana won't exactly have a chance to catch up or compete at this point.  I agree, though...GnR have gotten a respectable turnout at shows, but again, that will all chance if and when the album hits.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 07:50:51 PM »

Not necessarily the best comparison, as Nirvana won't exactly have a chance to catch up or compete at this point.? I agree, though...GnR have gotten a respectable turnout at shows, but again, that will all chance if and when the album hits.

Nirvana's success post-Cobain can be attributed to one thing... media hype.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 07:58:07 PM »

Not necessarily the best comparison, as Nirvana won't exactly have a chance to catch up or compete at this point.? I agree, though...GnR have gotten a respectable turnout at shows, but again, that will all chance if and when the album hits.

Nirvana's success post-Cobain can be attributed to one thing... media hype.

Yes.  Hype and adoration.  Some of it well-deserved, I suppose...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: