Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 12:33:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How many.....
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How many.....  (Read 5822 times)
Tyson
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« on: February 13, 2007, 09:48:50 PM »

How many fans, in the U.S., do you think are as relatively anxious about the release of this album as us GNR hardcore's are?  I mean, how many real, true, money spending fans do you think are definitley going to purchase this album, regardless of media exposure, reviews and overall quality.  I'm assuming that most hardcore fans don't even come to these fan crazy websites.  I know that we do live in a GNR biased bubble around here to an extent and have a hard time percieving this entire project and album in a more lay-person type of way.  Any thoughts and ideas would be cool.   
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 09:51:17 PM »

Well. Personally, I know quite a few casual fans that said they'd buy it. And they're not on the level of anyone here.

One half of Rock n' Rolls Cheech & Chong.
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 10:26:55 PM »

I knew 20 people willing to buy it on march 6th, but probably wont afterwards. This was the last straw...
they are not some hard core fans... they are casual listeners...
they dont take shit from anyone.

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 10:28:39 PM »

I knew 20 people willing to buy it on march 6th, but probably wont afterwards. This was the last straw...
they are not some hard core fans... they are casual listeners...
they dont take shit from anyone.

Sounds like they do.. If this is FINALLY the last straw for them..
VolcomStone
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 10:34:56 PM »

if gn'r ever does release another album (all signs are pointing to no), i'll probably download it.  i'd buy it if the packaging looked decent enough and if i happened to enjoy it that thoroughly.

If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 10:36:01 PM »

How many fans, in the U.S., do you think are as relatively anxious about the release of this album as us GNR hardcore's are?  I mean, how many real, true, money spending fans do you think are definitley going to purchase this album, regardless of media exposure, reviews and overall quality.  I'm assuming that most hardcore fans don't even come to these fan crazy websites.  I know that we do live in a GNR biased bubble around here to an extent and have a hard time percieving this entire project and album in a more lay-person type of way.  Any thoughts and ideas would be cool.   

Not a FRACTION as many as alot of people on here think.

HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 10:37:30 PM »

Most casual rock fans, I think, will be willing to buy it when they see that it's really sitting there on the store shelf. It's so easy to deny something exists if you've never seen or heard it, and when it's sitting there in Best Buy or wherever, and GNR has a hot single or video or whatever, 90% of these people will forget the last 10 years of "crap" from Axl (their opinion, not mine)...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 10:38:43 PM »

? How many fans, in the U.S., do you think are as relatively anxious about the release of this album as us GNR hardcore's are?? I mean, how many real, true, money spending fans do you think are definitley going to purchase this album, regardless of media exposure, reviews and overall quality.? I'm assuming that most hardcore fans don't even come to these fan crazy websites.? I know that we do live in a GNR biased bubble around here to an extent and have a hard time percieving this entire project and album in a more lay-person type of way.? Any thoughts and ideas would be cool.? ?

I agree with Saul wholeheartedly. Just be into them for yourself, and let nature take its course with all that business, number of albums sold crap.

I would'nt do that if I were you.
GunsNCrowes
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 10:42:21 PM »

There isn't much on the charts real rock fans are buying these days, I think a lot of people instead are buying hardware (Ipods, etc) and saving for pricey concert tix, in general.  So there's plenty of room for folks to go out and justify $18 on a CD even if it's just out of curiousity, and I think the first few weeks will be hardcore new/old fans and a good mix of the general public.  What keeps it going past that and makes it a humongous seller or not will really be word of mouth, and promotion/tours. 

F*ck the top-10 charts, MTV, etc anyways--best measure I think of a records mass appeal is it's longer-term catalog numbers--that is, seeing it in the top 100 for a good year + followed by terrific ticket (and eventually DVD?) sales.  That's really how the rock industry works now.

Having said all that, and as much as I love the new tunes, I really hope there's a flat-out 3:30 rocker on there or two that knocks everyone's socks off, brings 'em in and makes people discover the longer, maybe non-single but epic tunes like Madagascar, TWAT, whatever else.
Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 10:50:42 PM »

I agree with Saul wholeheartedly. Just be into them for yourself, and let nature take its course with all that business, number of albums sold crap.

Exactly! I dont wanna be an ass here or nuthin but if Democracy comes out and I'm the ONLY person in the world who buys a copy then so be it. I'll be happy (or unhappy maybe , I'm not gunna blindly love this cause it's axl rose) with my copy!

GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 11:13:21 PM »

i still say that CHINESE DEMOCRACY will go many times platinum yes

because songs like Better and IRS only come once in a blue moon where a single song like Smells like teen spirit can change an entire generation of music. MTV will whore G'n'R out as much as they can which is a good thing for us cause then we make fun of those who like G'n'R now(then) and we could also make our own shirts that say "i liked G'n'R before it was cool" hihi

i garentee it ok

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 11:18:17 PM »

then we make fun of those who like G'n'R now(then) and we could also make our own shirts that say "i liked G'n'R before it was cool" hihi

1986?

stinson4ever
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 11:33:08 PM »

then we make fun of those who like G'n'R now(then) and we could also make our own shirts that say "i liked G'n'R before it was cool" hihi

1986?
Saul
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 11:34:29 PM »

1986?

where did your 1st reply go?!

The Hinge
Headliner

Here Today...and every bloody day

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 11:47:45 PM »

I think the new album will have about as much success as what the greatest hits album had maybe a little more. Still successful but not to the mighty heights of what the majority of people would like or  would think on this board.
In my opinion I think the world will still see GNR as a band in the past. Unfortunately.

'Most organized religions make a mockery of humanity'
J?
Kid In The Hall
Banned
VIP

Here Since January 11th 2002

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 01:21:42 AM »

I will for sure buy it.

I was mad after 2002 with no explanation, so when the record company released the greatest hits album, I stuck it to Axl for that long delay.

Regardless, the man has fought his demons and when he releases it I will be the first to buy it in my town of Burlington.

I have every album including some movie soundtracks and singles.

If you like the artist and you are a real fan then you will buy the album.

REMEMBER: THE DATE WAS NOT SET IN STONE ON MARCH 6th

Fuck All Y'all
Natasha23
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 01:50:39 AM »

It's all going to come down to the quality of the music.  If people really enjoy it and radio supports the singles with airplay, etc the 15 year wait isn't going to matter.  i don't think the success of this album is going to come down to how much of the original fan base is left.  i think if people like the music, they're going to get over old guns, new guns, 15 years for the album.  the one problem i do see is critics who have an ax to grind will use the long wait against Axl.  they'll say "this is what we've been waiting 15 years for?!"  not all the critics, but some of them will because people like to be haters.
i hope to god Better is the first single, because i think that song has such mass appeal.  if they release that as the first single, i don't see how the album could fail. 
novrain91
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 02:08:49 AM »

Whether or not it becomes a huge hit (which I think it should/will) all depends on 3 simple (actually complex) things:

1) The quality obviously, and by quality I mean kick ass/ epic songs that make the long wait worth it (restores credibility)

2) Very good reviews in popular and/or highly respected publications

3) The type of word of mouth promotion that spreads around popular culture like a wildfire. (i.e. the hype that surronded Appetite in 1988) In order for an album to be huge in this day and age, people have to hear how good something is until they finally get to the point where they just have to go check it out for themselves.

Axl has done this before...But the Odds are against him this time...I can't wait to see just how good his masterplan is!!!

Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 02:31:19 AM »

I think curiosity alone will sell a bunch of albums. I tell people all the time about it, and their pissed that its just axl with a bunch of new guys, but than a few minutes later they almost always say well I'd prolly buy it just to check it out.? smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
DuffRock
Rocker

www.cafepress.com/patiencepays

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 05:12:38 AM »

it doesnt matter that its delayed, i bet the average casual listener has little idea of this tentative release date

people will buy the album if its promoted right and a great album, those are the only two things that matter

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: