Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 05:56:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228009 Posts in 43257 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AFD Ranked No. 32 on The Definitive 200
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: AFD Ranked No. 32 on The Definitive 200  (Read 8063 times)
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 04:14:41 PM »

typical American list no Queen in the top 10? Roll Eyes

Haha...funny.....and I agree...but I think I like the European lists better because my favorite band is usually in the top 10 on these types of list.  And Queen is amazingly underrated here in the states.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 04:27:59 PM »

This list is awful.  You mean Nevermind is better than the 2nd best Beatles or Led Zeppelin album.  Im not saying Nevermind was awful, but what are they judging these lists on.  If its on talent Nevermind should be in the bottom 100, if its on sales then its barely in the top 50, if its on impact on music i think if you look at bands today you can see a much bigger influence from Metallica, GnR, than Nirvana, also Nirvana didnt start  a movement with Nevermind they ripped off better grunge bands.  Nevermind has not business being up there, when was the last time you saw a singer wearing flannel, mumbling worthless lyrics, playing just chords etc... Rock music today, even though I dont like it that much, seems to be a lot on speed/hip hop/ or high pitched screaming.
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 04:54:46 PM »

Led Zeppelin IV is soooo overrated! Just because of Stairway to heaven it gets the praise it gets... III is a million times better

And U2's best album is not The Joshua Tree, Acthung Baby is much better....

I also liked to see Exile on Main Street and Born To Run on the top 10, although I think they should've been a little higher on the list.

BTW, Shania Twain??? Santana's Supernatural??? Come on!!

gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2007, 05:04:21 PM »

The National Association of Recording Merchandisers (NARM) in Marlton, N.J., and the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland, released a list of what they term The Definitive 200 albums of all time. Topped by the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson and Led Zeppelin, the list is a virtual who's who of the artists who we all love and rock out to. Check out where your favorites rank. Guns N' Roses' 1987 classic "Appetite For Destruction" ranked No. 32:

The Definitive 200 (Complete list)

1. Beatles ? Sgt. Pepper?s Lonely Hearts Club Band ? 1967
2. Pink Floyd ? Dark Side Of The Moon ? 1973
3. Michael Jackson ? Thriller ? 1982
4. Led Zeppelin ? Led Zeppelin IV ? 1971
5. U2 ? Joshua Tree ?1987
6. Rolling Stones ? Exile On Main Street ? 1972
7. Carole King ? Tapestry ? 1971
8. Bob Dylan ? Highway ?61 Revisited ? 1965
9. Beach Boys ? Pet Sounds ? 1966
10. Nirvana ? Nevermind ? 1991
32. Guns ?N Roses ? Appetite For Destruction ? 1987

A glimpse of the future, and not because of its huge influence and umpteen million sales. The poor-little-rich-boy protest "Out ta Get Me" intimates that Axl Rose's egotism and martyr complex were soon to grow bigger than his head; still, Appetite's night-train wreck of punk and metal sounds and sensibilities make it more than just an emblem of its time. Whether GN'R are dancing with Mr. Brownstone, penning a callow kiss-off letter to some chick named Michelle, or passing out on somebody else's sofa, this was and remains a savage journey to the heart of the American--or at least the Hollywood--dream.

--Rickey Wright

Sources: http://www.gnrdaily.com/news_detail.asp?id=604

can someone please tell me why that shit of a band nirvana always get in the top 10?

The amount of albums, famous and not famous that piss all over that are in the millions.

I don't know how you can say Nivana is shit.? Nevermind was as big as Appetite.? Do I like Appetite better?? Yes.? Still, Nevermind was huge.? Nirvana was/is huge.?
well for me in my 27 nirvana songs and lyrics are funny
i liked them in my 12,but now not
btw afd are grat great,but why people don't recognise briliance of illusions albums

I have never seen so many tree
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2007, 05:06:04 PM »

why people don't recognise briliance of illusions albums

Because they're full of fillers... THere are some genious songs on there, but other shitty ones... They should've made that one album, and it would be as classic as AFD
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2007, 05:14:51 PM »

why people don't recognise briliance of illusions albums

Because they're full of fillers... THere are some genious songs on there, but other shitty ones... They should've made that one album, and it would be as classic as AFD
truth
1.civil war
2.you could be mine
3.pretty tied up
4.breakdown
5.november rain
6.estranged
7.back of bitch
8.dead horse
9.yesterday
10.locomotive
11.coma

Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2007, 05:17:42 PM »

The problem is that I don't think it would fit one CD
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2007, 05:20:48 PM »

yeah,but i can't goout november rain or estrenged

acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2007, 05:23:35 PM »

At first glance I thought this was a very typical list.  But the more I looked into it...I realized it actually lacked any sort of true unbias.  Pretty much every album on this list is either a top-selling, multi-platinum album or an extremely famous artist.  There is no obscure album or influential underground album on the list.  Whoever made this just took a list of the best selling albums of all time and mixed it up.

It's very hard to take this list seriously when Shaina Twain, Alanis Morrissette, Norah Jones, Kenny G. and R. Kelly make the list but the likes of The Velvet Underground, Sonic Youth, Pavement, Van Halen, and Run DMC are nowhere to be seen.

I mean seriously who in their right mind ranks Kenny G over NWA and the Sex Pistols?

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2007, 05:36:20 PM »

i didn't see skid row first

daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2007, 06:04:27 PM »

what bothers me is why the fuck dylan gets to the top ten of these things, he's fuckin gash! he cant sing.
all he does is write songs that other people cover and do better!

thats hilarious hihi and true? *cough Knockin on heavens door cough*? Smiley

Yea but he still wrote the songs and therefore has to take 99% of the credit for the song, regardless of whether you prefer a cover to his own and surely the fact, as your friend pointed out, that lots of other people cover his songs shows him to be an awesome songwriter. Admittedly he cannot sing very well but his songwriting ability on it's own means he deserves to be in most of these charts

yeah but what i'm saying is that bands take his songs, change them, and they are infinetly better!

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
gunsnfnroses
Headliner

You're fucking crazy!

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2007, 08:35:36 PM »

It's very hard to take this list seriously when Shaina Twain, Alanis Morrissette, Norah Jones, Kenny G. and R. Kelly make the list but the likes of The Velvet Underground, Sonic Youth, Pavement, Van Halen, and Run DMC are nowhere to be seen.

I was thinking the same thing. I almost considered taking this list seriously until I saw that Alanis Morrissette is ranked better than Appetite.

I mean seriously who in their right mind ranks Kenny G over NWA and the Sex Pistols?

A-fucking-men!

I'm a well-wisher, as in I don't wish you any specific harm
Ganja4Life
Banned
VIP

Peace,Love,Guns N' Roses

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2007, 09:30:35 PM »

what bothers me is why the fuck dylan gets to the top ten of these things, he's fuckin gash! he cant sing.
all he does is write songs that other people cover and do better!

thats hilarious hihi and true? *cough Knockin on heavens door cough*? Smiley

Yea but he still wrote the songs and therefore has to take 99% of the credit for the song, regardless of whether you prefer a cover to his own and surely the fact, as your friend pointed out, that lots of other people cover his songs shows him to be an awesome songwriter. Admittedly he cannot sing very well but his songwriting ability on it's own means he deserves to be in most of these charts

true man! peace I knew that already I just like jokin around like that hihi

Hi,my name's Dakota
I like Guns N' Roses
They're my favorite band
gummyfish
Rocker

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2007, 09:49:37 PM »

The National Association of Recording Merchandisers (NARM) in Marlton, N.J., and the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland, released a list of what they term The Definitive 200 albums of all time. Topped by the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson and Led Zeppelin, the list is a virtual who's who of the artists who we all love and rock out to. Check out where your favorites rank. Guns N' Roses' 1987 classic "Appetite For Destruction" ranked No. 32:

The Definitive 200 (Complete list)

1. Beatles ? Sgt. Pepper?s Lonely Hearts Club Band ? 1967
2. Pink Floyd ? Dark Side Of The Moon ? 1973
3. Michael Jackson ? Thriller ? 1982
4. Led Zeppelin ? Led Zeppelin IV ? 1971
5. U2 ? Joshua Tree ?1987
6. Rolling Stones ? Exile On Main Street ? 1972
8. Bob Dylan ? Highway ?61 Revisited ? 1965
9. Beach Boys ? Pet Sounds ? 1966
10. Nirvana ? Nevermind ? 1991
32. Guns ?N Roses ? Appetite For Destruction ? 1987

A glimpse of the future, and not because of its huge influence and umpteen million sales. The poor-little-rich-boy protest "Out ta Get Me" intimates that Axl Rose's egotism and martyr complex were soon to grow bigger than his head; still, Appetite's night-train wreck of punk and metal sounds and sensibilities make it more than just an emblem of its time. Whether GN'R are dancing with Mr. Brownstone, penning a callow kiss-off letter to some chick named Michelle, or passing out on somebody else's sofa, this was and remains a savage journey to the heart of the American--or at least the Hollywood--dream.

--Rickey Wright

Sources: http://www.gnrdaily.com/news_detail.asp?id=604

can someone please tell me why that shit of a band nirvana always get in the top 10?

The amount of albums, famous and not famous that piss all over that are in the millions.

Because Kurts dead, its like art, when an artist dies the value of their paintings soars.

As if you could call that shit ART.  rant
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2007, 10:37:08 PM »

Guns N Roses should have been at least Top 20 or Top 15...and certainly ahead of any Nirvana. Eminem, Alanis Morisette or Dr. Dre ablum.....
thesloth
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2007, 10:43:12 PM »

What I don't get is how they can not include a band like NIN which created the band Tool Manson and many others.  Trent R is one of the leaders in modern Rock. 

Also how can they put Smashing Pumkings so far down the Mellon Collie CD's are one of the best shoecases of musical diversity and talent ever created. 

Yet they put Twain at 21 even though she does not even write most of her own stuff
KeVoRkIaN
VIP

Resident Doctor

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2007, 11:25:44 PM »

That's the one I don't get.

I'd argue this over any other higher placing album.  Really...... LOL

Pass the Dutchie! - Think I'll need a bit of that!!!

NEW MEMBERS: CLICK ON THIS PAGE! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Starts Now is An Understatement!!!!!!
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2007, 02:12:23 AM »

I don't care for that kind of lists

GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2007, 12:27:23 PM »

What worries me is tht this list is compiled by people who are supposed to be some sort of (self-appointed) authority on music and the masses will be influenced by it.  I guess making people think 'artists' like Shania Twain are great helps to keep the masses eating up the shit music the big labels keep producing.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Axl&Baz07
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2007, 12:49:17 PM »

What worries me is tht this list is compiled by people who are supposed to be some sort of (self-appointed) authority on music and the masses will be influenced by it.? I guess making people think 'artists' like Shania Twain are great helps to keep the masses eating up the shit music the big labels keep producing.

i agree.? a list like this is complete and utter crap.? while it may be interesting to laugh at, a list like this is completely subjective.?

having written that, AFD definitely deserves to be in the top 10.? and Slave to the Grind- Skid Row needs to be in the top 10, as well.? it was the first metal album to debut at  number one on the charts.

"Some People got a chip on their shoulder, an some would say it was Me..."
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: