Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:19:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227941 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AFD Ranked No. 32 on The Definitive 200
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: AFD Ranked No. 32 on The Definitive 200  (Read 7960 times)
Bona
Opening Act

« on: March 07, 2007, 08:22:21 AM »

The National Association of Recording Merchandisers (NARM) in Marlton, N.J., and the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland, released a list of what they term The Definitive 200 albums of all time. Topped by the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson and Led Zeppelin, the list is a virtual who's who of the artists who we all love and rock out to. Check out where your favorites rank. Guns N' Roses' 1987 classic "Appetite For Destruction" ranked No. 32:

The Definitive 200 (Complete list)

1. Beatles ? Sgt. Pepper?s Lonely Hearts Club Band ? 1967
2. Pink Floyd ? Dark Side Of The Moon ? 1973
3. Michael Jackson ? Thriller ? 1982
4. Led Zeppelin ? Led Zeppelin IV ? 1971
5. U2 ? Joshua Tree ?1987
6. Rolling Stones ? Exile On Main Street ? 1972
7. Carole King ? Tapestry ? 1971
8. Bob Dylan ? Highway ?61 Revisited ? 1965
9. Beach Boys ? Pet Sounds ? 1966
10. Nirvana ? Nevermind ? 1991
32. Guns ?N Roses ? Appetite For Destruction ? 1987

A glimpse of the future, and not because of its huge influence and umpteen million sales. The poor-little-rich-boy protest "Out ta Get Me" intimates that Axl Rose's egotism and martyr complex were soon to grow bigger than his head; still, Appetite's night-train wreck of punk and metal sounds and sensibilities make it more than just an emblem of its time. Whether GN'R are dancing with Mr. Brownstone, penning a callow kiss-off letter to some chick named Michelle, or passing out on somebody else's sofa, this was and remains a savage journey to the heart of the American--or at least the Hollywood--dream.

--Rickey Wright

Sources: http://www.gnrdaily.com/news_detail.asp?id=604
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 08:24:46 AM »

The National Association of Recording Merchandisers (NARM) in Marlton, N.J., and the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland, released a list of what they term The Definitive 200 albums of all time. Topped by the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson and Led Zeppelin, the list is a virtual who's who of the artists who we all love and rock out to. Check out where your favorites rank. Guns N' Roses' 1987 classic "Appetite For Destruction" ranked No. 32:

A glimpse of the future, and not because of its huge influence and umpteen million sales. The poor-little-rich-boy protest "Out ta Get Me" intimates that Axl Rose's egotism and martyr complex were soon to grow bigger than his head; still, Appetite's night-train wreck of punk and metal sounds and sensibilities make it more than just an emblem of its time. Whether GN'R are dancing with Mr. Brownstone, penning a callow kiss-off letter to some chick named Michelle, or passing out on somebody else's sofa, this was and remains a savage journey to the heart of the American--or at least the Hollywood--dream.

--Rickey Wright

can someone please tell me why that shit of a band nirvana always get in the top 10?

The amount of albums, famous and not famous that piss all over that are in the millions.

html sucks
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 08:34:19 AM »

--Rickey Wright

its because cobain is dead, same as all other posthumous bands/ singers that are successful!

what bothers me is why the fuck dylan gets to the top ten of these things, he's fuckin gash! he cant sing.
all he does is write songs that other people cover and do better!

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
Ganja4Life
Banned
VIP

Peace,Love,Guns N' Roses

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 08:39:06 AM »

what bothers me is why the fuck dylan gets to the top ten of these things, he's fuckin gash! he cant sing.

thats hilarious hihi and true  *cough Knockin on heavens door cough*  Smiley

Hi,my name's Dakota
I like Guns N' Roses
They're my favorite band
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 09:07:02 AM »

--Rickey Wright

can someone please tell me why that shit of a band nirvana always get in the top 10?

The amount of albums, famous and not famous that piss all over that are in the millions.

I don't know how you can say Nivana is shit.  Nevermind was as big as Appetite.  Do I like Appetite better?  Yes.  Still, Nevermind was huge.  Nirvana was/is huge. 
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 09:08:44 AM »

--Rickey Wright

its because cobain is dead, same as all other posthumous bands/ singers that are successful!

Dylan is also an icon.  Every artist today would probably like to be Bob Dylan.  Go listen to about 4 or 5 of his records and then tell me your not a Dylan fan.  Start with his earliest and go from there.
GeraldFord
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 09:40:43 AM »

I like Nirvana, really do, but yeah, his death no doubt evaluated his status. If Billy Corgan had shot himself instead of KC, then there is no doubt in my mind Siamese Dream would be at number ten,

As for Pet Sounds, I can appreciate it ground breaking innovations and techniques, but personally, that album never did anything for me.

Tapestry is a good album, but in the top ten?

The others aren't too bad...

Still, where is KISS? Van Halen? NIN?
John Galt
Rocker

Peace Sells... But still no one is buying goddamit

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 10:24:41 AM »

I always find these lists amusing, isn't the whole idea for people to then debate them?  No list is definitive, and no llist is going to get agreement...
I would argue there is no Radiohead in the Top 10 - for comparison a Channel 4 poll in the UK had Radiohead OK computer at No1 (and AFD was in Top 10)...
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 10:34:03 AM »

--Rickey Wright

Dylan is also an icon. Every artist today would probably like to be Bob Dylan. Go listen to about 4 or 5 of his records and then tell me your not a Dylan fan. Start with his earliest and go from there.

i tried to like dylan, my old man has loads of dylan cd's! i just cant get in to it, i just think he is fuckin rubbish! i also think a whole lot of people like him just to be in fashion. alll these fuckin asshole new acts quoting dylan as an influence, its pathetci, my girlfriends brother, who knows jack shit about music went to see dylan in glasgow a couple years back, paid ?50 for a ticket, and him and his buddys left, it was that shite! Undecided

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 10:46:59 AM »

typical American list no Queen in the top 10? Roll Eyes
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 10:52:21 AM »

he cant sing. all he does is write songs that other people cover and do better!

Ha, ha so true. He is a great songwriter though. An excellent example of what you said is the song, "All Along the Watchtower". It became famous only after Jimi Hendrix covered it and then Dylan started performing the Hendrix version live.

typical American list no Queen in the top 10  Roll Eyes

Agreed.  Tongue

Fuck 'Em All.
slunksoma
Headliner

Here Today...Gone to Bed

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 11:01:04 AM »

I like Nirvana, really do, but yeah, his death no doubt evaluated his status. If Billy Corgan had shot himself instead of KC, then there is no doubt in my mind Siamese Dream would be at number ten,

It should be anyway  Grin
tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 12:42:39 PM »

Anybody that wants to debate this list should consider one thing:

21.  Shania Twain "Come on Over"
41.  Jimi Hendrix "Are you Experienced"

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
Elrothiel
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 01:38:48 PM »

WTF!? Where are Black Sabbath? Where are Pantera!? Where are Queen and Van Halen, The DOORS!!!!? Where are THEY!!!!!?

Piss poor list that is! LESS than piss poor list! Oh, and there's no way the Beatles are number 1, they were awesome, but fucking hell they don't deserve to be top of the list! Same with Nirvana, the Beach Boys, and Carole King.
axleu
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 02:07:21 PM »

"can someone please tell me why that shit of a band nirvana always get in the top 10?"

'cause he shot himself... Too bad he's dead, if he weren't, maybe critics wouldn't be sucking his cock all the time... yes
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 02:13:59 PM »

It's somewhat humorous how angry people get over these types of lists.  This one may hold a little bit of weight considering the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame helped in its compilation, but at the end of the day, it's still just one or a couple of dudes giving their opinion.

Seriously, relax.  In six months there will be another list. 

And for those of you who don't "get" Dylan, understand that he has produced some of the best lyrics.  Without Dylan, everything would have been different (he was a major influence from the Beatles to Radiohead).  You may not like his work, but read up on songwriting as it relates to Rock N' Roll and there isn't a major artist that doesn't hold Dylan in high regard. 

Anyway, this is a GNR forum and such the discussion should surround GNR's placing on the list.  Most of us over evaluate GNR as they're our favourite band.  But just because GNR is my favourite band I wouldn't be so naive to suggest that they are the greatest or best band, or for that matter, the most influential.  I don't need my favourites to be the "best."  I'm just happy that Appetite for Destruction was acknowledged for what it was, instead of what it wasn't (through most of the mid to late 1990s GNR was for the most part thrown together with bands like Poison, Cinderalla and all the other crap hair-bands; thankfully the band is now given distinction for being a band above all those who surrounded the air waves). 

Should it be in the top 10?  Probably not yet, but who knows later on depending on how the future values the music.  Is it bigger than the Joshua Tree?  Both great albums, but I have to give the nod to the Joshua Tree for simply transcending U2 from superstars to icons.  Had appetite been GNR's second or third album, maybe then, but it's a tough call.

Cheers,

Andrew
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 02:16:12 PM by downzy56 » Logged

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
rds.06
Jackie!!!
Rocker

"I'm Melting"

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 02:24:05 PM »

--Rickey Wright

Because Kurts dead, its like art, when an artist dies the value of their paintings soars.

"to live with fortune and fame"
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 03:35:39 PM »

Sgt. Pepper at one?! What a joke, I wouldn't even put that album in my top 50. These Dicks always fail to remember what an impact AFD had on an era.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 03:47:45 PM »

typical American list no Queen in the top 10? Roll Eyes

Typical American hater? Roll Eyes

There are pleanty of american acts not on that list who should be... Plus a non american act got #1 so hush? Tongue ok
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 04:09:40 PM »

thats hilarious hihi and true? *cough Knockin on heavens door cough*? Smiley

Yea but he still wrote the songs and therefore has to take 99% of the credit for the song, regardless of whether you prefer a cover to his own and surely the fact, as your friend pointed out, that lots of other people cover his songs shows him to be an awesome songwriter. Admittedly he cannot sing very well but his songwriting ability on it's own means he deserves to be in most of these charts

That's a hatrick for Doull
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: