Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 03:06:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Will Chinese Democracy be the fastest selling album ever?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will Chinese Democracy be the fastest selling album ever?  (Read 12851 times)
Tyson
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2007, 06:38:08 PM »

I think this album is guaranteed to sell atleast a few hundred thousand copies its first week, but that really doesn't matter.  What mattters is its longevity and appeal to the average, non-hardcore fans.  Having said that, we must realize that most people think that Axl and GNR with all new guys is a joke.  Let's be honest.  The fact that it has taken this long to come out has, in my opinion, turned off many potential buyers.  Who knows?  I hope the best and can't wait for the damn thing. 
Jackamo!
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2007, 06:53:52 PM »

It's gonna sell quite a bit, but's it's gonna get shit reviews no matter what it sounds like...
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2007, 08:02:39 PM »

No, it doesn't have a chance just because of the way music sells these days. I think it won't sell as much as Illusions did, maybe 3-4 mil.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
kriss_boy
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2007, 08:14:04 PM »

"Will Chinese Democracy be the fastest selling album ever?"

You're joking right? ?Roll Eyes
You do realise it's only us hardcore fans that give a shit about this record...

Are YOU joking? GnR sold like 1 million tour tickets last year!!! With no album or single to promote. Add to that how successful VR became without the Guns n Roses name...

I think its pretty obvious Chinese Democracy will break sales records, even if only in a short stint.
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2007, 08:16:22 PM »

^ The arenas in the US were actually pretty bad sales-wise. Imo that's why the one Maine show was cancelled and the Cali dates were cancelled too. The tour was a success, but not a strong indicator for high record sales.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
kriss_boy
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2007, 08:19:58 PM »

^ The arenas in the US were actually pretty bad sales-wise. Imo that's why the one Maine show was cancelled and the Cali dates were cancelled too. The tour was a success, but not a strong indicator for high record sales.

But werent GnR the second biggest band in the world last year insofar as tour tickets sold? Wasnt it like 1,000,000 in second place to madonna?

Ie... surely its to be expected that the vast majority of those gig goers... and wayyyyy more rock fans will buy this record?

Chinese Democracy is an urban legend lol... it took on a mythological status many years ago... I cant think of any other band or artist thats had this amount of sustained hype after its demise!!
Tyson
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2007, 08:28:08 PM »

"Will Chinese Democracy be the fastest selling album ever?"

You're joking right? ?Roll Eyes
You do realise it's only us hardcore fans that give a shit about this record...

Are YOU joking? GnR sold like 1 million tour tickets last year!!! With no album or single to promote. Add to that how successful VR became without the Guns n Roses name...

Well the Rolling Stones sure as hell sell a shitload of tickets and THEIR albums don't sell very well anymore.  Think about that. 

I think its pretty obvious Chinese Democracy will break sales records, even if only in a short stint.
kriss_boy
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2007, 08:32:38 PM »

Well the Rolling Stones sure as hell sell a shitload of tickets and THEIR albums don't sell very well anymore.? Think about that.?

The stones are a completely different band.. with a completely different history... and completely different demograph of fans.

The only worry i have is how many fans download this record rather than buying it.

That aside, this is a truly once in a life time situation in rock where you have a band explode at their peak.. and leave a generation of fans begging for more for 10 years. And within those years the bands name is cemented in rock history as one of the best... attracting more fans... whilst giving us all hope for a second coming.

GnR will be back this year and theres no reason why they cant treble the admirable sales of the likes of VR.
King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2007, 08:57:39 PM »

I think so! I believe all of us fans and even casual listeners around the world will buy it. I'm thinking it will sell 5 million copies worldwide the first week.

Absolutely not. With most albums leaked onto the internet before they ever hit store shelves, direct sales take a huge hit. Some artists will throw in an exclusive DVD or something to get people to buy the CD instead of downloading it. Depending on whether Guns N' Roses would do this, expect somewhere around 200,000 copies sold in the U.S. in the first week, maybe 1.5 million copies worldwide.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2007, 09:13:35 PM »

No doubt that CHINESE DEMOCRACY will break some records, i mean, it already has with it costing 13 million+ in recording fees and with the wait taking more than 12 years. But in order for it to break any sales or popularity records would take alot from the band and the promo crew. CHINESE DEMOCRACY will probibly sell like AFD did, slowly. Because now adays to the mainstreem (MTV listening/watching mother fuckers) will view G'n'R as a "new" band and will have to get used to the new guns over time. And if that is all a sucess and all then i think that AFD and UYI 1 and 2 will sell more to cause the new fans will want to see what they were like back in the day, imo smoking

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
rose22
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2007, 09:23:13 PM »

does anybody know what was/is that fastest selling album...ever ?
maybe n' sync or eminem..........for the first week at least. i remember when gn'r had the biggest week ever for a cd and that was around 850,000 the first week ( uyi2 ). after that i believe pearl jam vs. broke that record. in the mid to late nineties the first week records probably climbed steadily until peaking with eminem. i think he sold around 2.7 mil. the first week. since then every year it gets further and further from those type of numbers. the way the world is now,? i honestly believe that whatever record for the fastest selling album is ( eminem ? ) it will never be broken. that doesn't mean cd won't sell good. definately platinum and most likely multy platinum. in this day and age, given the fact that while haled by many, axl is still the most hated man in rock, i would say that is quite an accomplishment.? remember this to, some people for whatever reason go to a gn'r show just to throw something at axl. alot of these type of people will still buy the album......................you can't lie to yourself.? ?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 10:23:12 PM by rose22 » Logged
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2007, 11:54:36 PM »

Fastest ever? No.
5 million the first  week?  I don't think so!
Get real.
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2007, 12:54:42 AM »

Mayby they can sell 500k if the promotion is good. (a very uneducated guess)
Ice-T was selling 500k easily with each album he released in the mid/late 90s. GNR has a much larger fanbase than Ice, even if you only count the psycho-fans. Any new GNR album should at least equal  the "Greatest Hits" sales worldwide.

Even if the album "only" sells a couple of million in twelve months, well, we should all be blessed with such a "failure" in our lives. 

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2007, 12:58:32 AM »

CHINESE DEMOCRACY will probibly sell like AFD did, slowly.
Any album which sells like AFD did these days would find itself out-of-print before you could say "debuting at #185."
Axlrose4eva
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2007, 02:25:35 AM »

I dont know where you guys are getting GNR had the second biggest tour from.  I know that Kenny Chesney sold the most concert tickets, about 1.3 million, and the best grossing tours were.

Top 10

Rolling Stones: $138.5
Barbra Streisand: $92.5         
Tim McGraw/Faith Hill:  $88.8         
Madonna: $85.9         
Cirque Du Soleil - ?Delirium?: $82.1         
Celine Dion: $78.1         
Kenny Chesney: $66.0         
Bon Jovi: $59.7         
Dave Matthews Band: $51.3         
Elton John: $48.

Chinese Democracy is a punchline, there is no longer music on tv, no one really listens to the radio, this album will sell best by its fans and if GNR can get on talk shows and in the news.  Its still not going to be a huge hit.  Who buys albums anymore?  You can just dl it.  Ill buy it to support the band, but if it was a band who i used to like and I like the single i just heard, im going to go DL the album. I wont lie, id rather spend that 15 dollars on something else. 
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2007, 02:39:00 AM »

CHINESE DEMOCRACY will probibly sell like AFD did, slowly.
Any album which sells like AFD did these days would find itself out-of-print before you could say "debuting at #185."

how do you figure??? wouldn't the copies of CD just sit on the shelves untill people bought them? After the singles get air play people would start to like them more that haven't before. Think if you were some one that listened to some faggot ass hit station and you heard "better" or "IRS" or "TWAT" wouldn't you get curious and want to know who that band was and then go get that record?

it could happen Tongue

peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2007, 04:45:05 AM »

how do you figure??? wouldn't the copies of CD just sit on the shelves untill people bought them?
Yes, they would. But it's not as though the label is going to press 10 million copies of the album and then let that investment sit in a warehouse somewhere until the buying public catches on. If they ship 500,000 copies the first week and only sell 50,000 it's going to be a while before another batch sees the light of day. How many copies did AFD sell in the first few months? It took the album a year to go from the bottom of the 200 to the top, how many times has that happened recently? AFD was a small release which grew steadily, it only gained support. A big release today, from any artist, has to sell big from day one or it's pretty much doomed. Granted, selling 100,000 copies in a week would be enough to place you in the top 5 these days, the #1 spot on a slow week (Marilyn Manson's last studio album debuted at #1 with about 110,000 units sold, for example). But selling that many is by no means guaranteed and a significant increase in sales after the first week of a major release is pretty rare, the trend is obviously the opposite.

Basically, if GNR have consistent strong sales for the first month or so after release it will encourage both the label and the media to continue to support the album (advertising, features, etc) which will inevitably help the sales to continue. If the album falters in the first couple of weeks, you can expect it to be forgotten pretty quickly as both the label and the media move on to the next prospect.   
thesloth
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2007, 09:40:34 AM »

maybe one of the biggest selling albums but not the fastest selling
BenDixon
Opening Act

Los Paranoias

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2007, 10:02:24 AM »

No it won't. I doubt it will even sell that much. But i doesn't matter if the music it contains is good.

?I grew up in Europe, where history comes from.?
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2007, 12:21:19 PM »

25:
ok that makes sence now, but after so many years of work put into this album i doubt highly that Axl and the band and anybody else working on this album will let it fale like that.

I really, really hope that that doesn't happen  nervous

fuck i hate waiting
peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: