Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 11:04:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Grandma Rocks
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grandma Rocks  (Read 5345 times)
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« on: August 28, 2007, 09:23:08 AM »

http://www.bradenton.com/neighbors/story/131523.html

By ROBERTA C. NELSON
bcnelson@bradenton.com

Jo Pesola enjoys concerts, motorcycles

Jo Pesola is simply too busy to grow old.

Two days before her 69th birthday, she went to St. Petersburg for her first rock concert. She's a Guns N' Roses fan.

"The first time I heard 'Sweet Child O' Mine,' I said 'That's it,' " she said.

Now 84, Pesola looks forward to cooler weather so a friend can take her on his motorcycle to Woody's River Roo in Ellenton and other nightspots around town.

Her son, Michael Brogan, 56, is a gastroenterologist in Columbus, Ohio. After a good bit of coaxing on her part, he took her to a Columbus concert with Velvet Revolver, which rose from the ashes of the now-defunct Guns N' Roses. He is a subscriber to the Columbus Symphony Orchestra.

"She has always been tuned into the times," Brogan said. "But by the time she was in her 50s, we could see she was a little atypical."

Before she started going to rock concerts, she went to Star Trek conventions.

"She didn't tell you?" Brogan asked during a telephone interview from his home in Columbus. "She's a Trekkie."

Pesola first came to Florida in 1942 during World War II.

She and a friend stayed about five months in Miami. There were lots of young servicemen shipping in and out. She met and fell in love with a sailor, but didn't marry him. She later married a dentist, Virgil Dale Brogan, and their marriage lasted 13 years until they divorced.

She has always enjoyed music, she said. Whenever one of the big bands came to Canton, she would cut class at business college.

"When I lived in Canton, all the big bands came there to the Palace Theatre," she said. "I must have seen them all, except Glenn Miller, who always played at the Meyers Lake (Amusement) Park and Moonlight Ballroom. I remember seeing Gene Krupa and Eddy Duchin."

Pesola came to Florida again in 1969. About seven years later, she met and married her second husband, Wayne Pesola, here. He was more than a decade younger, and they lived for a time in Bradenton Beach. Then they bought an RV and lived in Cortez, and then at Linger Lodge RV park in East Manatee. But her husband died in 1986 at 51. She continued to live at Linger Lodge until 1999, but has since moved to an apartment in town.

"She's a great lady," said Mike Drake, who works at Presbyterian Villas, where Pesola lives.

Drake is the friend who will take Pesola on her motorcycle ride.

"There are about four or five of us, and one of my buddy'a wife has a Gold Wing Trike (motorcycle) with a back seat like a big captain's chair," he said.

There are a few concessions Pesola has been willing to make because of her age, but not many.

"I don't cook anymore," she said.

She graduated from high school in 1942 in Canton. She returns every five years to attend her high school class reunion. The 65th reunion is approaching in October, she said.

"I don't know how many people are still alive," she said. "I had a longtime friend I always stayed with, but now she is in assisted living."

She isn't smug about her abilities at her age.

"I have good genes," she said. "My mother lived to 91 and was still living in her own apartment near my sister."

Still, if she'd known she would live this long, she would have taken better care of herself, she said with a laugh at the old joke.

Despite her love of rock music and other interests usually popular with younger people, she said she doesn't want to actually be younger. She just doesn't want to be discriminated against because of her age.

She makes new friends based on their interests, not their ages.

"You always value your old friends," she said. "But you always make new friends, because you must."

Roberta C. Nelson, staff writer, can be reached at 748-0411, ext 2121.

Jo Pesola

Local residence: Presbyterian Villas

Hometown: Canton, Ohio

Family: a son and two grandchildren

Jo Pesola smitten with Guns N' Roses

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 09:24:37 AM »

http://www.bradenton.com/neighbors/story/131523.html

By ROBERTA C. NELSON
bcnelson@bradenton.com

Jo Pesola enjoys concerts, motorcycles

Jo Pesola is simply too busy to grow old.

Two days before her 69th birthday, she went to St. Petersburg for her first rock concert. She's a Guns N' Roses fan.

"The first time I heard 'Sweet Child O' Mine,' I said 'That's it,' " she said.

Now 84, Pesola looks forward to cooler weather so a friend can take her on his motorcycle to Woody's River Roo in Ellenton and other nightspots around town.

Her son, Michael Brogan, 56, is a gastroenterologist in Columbus, Ohio. After a good bit of coaxing on her part, he took her to a Columbus concert with Velvet Revolver, which rose from the ashes of the now-defunct Guns N' Roses. He is a subscriber to the Columbus Symphony Orchestra.

"She has always been tuned into the times," Brogan said. "But by the time she was in her 50s, we could see she was a little atypical."

Before she started going to rock concerts, she went to Star Trek conventions.

"She didn't tell you?" Brogan asked during a telephone interview from his home in Columbus. "She's a Trekkie."

Pesola first came to Florida in 1942 during World War II.

She and a friend stayed about five months in Miami. There were lots of young servicemen shipping in and out. She met and fell in love with a sailor, but didn't marry him. She later married a dentist, Virgil Dale Brogan, and their marriage lasted 13 years until they divorced.

She has always enjoyed music, she said. Whenever one of the big bands came to Canton, she would cut class at business college.

"When I lived in Canton, all the big bands came there to the Palace Theatre," she said. "I must have seen them all, except Glenn Miller, who always played at the Meyers Lake (Amusement) Park and Moonlight Ballroom. I remember seeing Gene Krupa and Eddy Duchin."

Pesola came to Florida again in 1969. About seven years later, she met and married her second husband, Wayne Pesola, here. He was more than a decade younger, and they lived for a time in Bradenton Beach. Then they bought an RV and lived in Cortez, and then at Linger Lodge RV park in East Manatee. But her husband died in 1986 at 51. She continued to live at Linger Lodge until 1999, but has since moved to an apartment in town.

"She's a great lady," said Mike Drake, who works at Presbyterian Villas, where Pesola lives.

Drake is the friend who will take Pesola on her motorcycle ride.

"There are about four or five of us, and one of my buddy'a wife has a Gold Wing Trike (motorcycle) with a back seat like a big captain's chair," he said.

There are a few concessions Pesola has been willing to make because of her age, but not many.

"I don't cook anymore," she said.

She graduated from high school in 1942 in Canton. She returns every five years to attend her high school class reunion. The 65th reunion is approaching in October, she said.

"I don't know how many people are still alive," she said. "I had a longtime friend I always stayed with, but now she is in assisted living."

She isn't smug about her abilities at her age.

"I have good genes," she said. "My mother lived to 91 and was still living in her own apartment near my sister."

Still, if she'd known she would live this long, she would have taken better care of herself, she said with a laugh at the old joke.

Despite her love of rock music and other interests usually popular with younger people, she said she doesn't want to actually be younger. She just doesn't want to be discriminated against because of her age.

She makes new friends based on their interests, not their ages.

"You always value your old friends," she said. "But you always make new friends, because you must."

Roberta C. Nelson, staff writer, can be reached at 748-0411, ext 2121.

Jo Pesola

Local residence: Presbyterian Villas

Hometown: Canton, Ohio

Family: a son and two grandchildren

Jo Pesola smitten with Guns N' Roses

I wonder if she's had the chance to see the newer members live yet?

That'd be cool to spot this lady at a show!

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Lucky
Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 09:27:11 AM »

next time look for her in the mosh pits.  Wink

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 09:45:13 AM »

next time look for her in the mosh pits.  Wink

Haha.... now that would be something to see.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 09:53:19 AM »

that might be me someday,if i live that long.

the one an only horsey !
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 10:15:12 AM »

I know an 80 something year old guy who loves AFD!
 ok
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 12:54:29 AM by stolat » Logged

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 05:11:20 PM »

Thats so sweet!! Gotta a love Grandma rocks!!  beer
Horsey!! I know I'll be there!!!
amy

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 06:09:01 PM »

lol how cool... Imagine having a grandma like that... having someone in the family to talk about Guns all the time  ok All my grandma knows about rock n roll is Elvis Presley lol  Wink

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 06:16:37 PM »

That's great.  Cool
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 08:46:26 PM »

sometimes i feel like im allready there. Tongue beer

the one an only horsey !
Rocker_GNR
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 10:47:52 PM »

This things make me feel younger   hihi,

Old Fan of Guns N ' Roses - "That is not dead which can eternal lie / And with strange aeons even death ..."
axleu
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 03:47:38 AM »

"of the now-defunct Guns N' Roses"

That lady rules!

Too bad the guy who wrote that sucks balls...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 10:27:19 AM »

she didn't get to see Guns last year?  Sad
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 10:43:06 AM »

This is becoming pathetic that all we have to talk about is this.  The band is going to let us down once again this year.  Angry
axlnyc
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 10:50:08 AM »

This is becoming pathetic that all we have to talk about is this.? The band is going to let us down once again this year.? Angry
Damn right they are, it is inexplicable!  Maybe they should just release the damn thing already, especially for this grandma fan.  Before she kicks the bucket  nervous

81688-NJ
61791-LI, NY
120991-MSG
121391-MSG
71892-NJ
72992-NJ
30693-CT
120502-MSG
51206-NYC
51506-NYC
51706-NYC
110506-NJ
111006-MSG
111711-NJ
111911-CT
112611-NJ
2/10/12-NYC
2/12/12-
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 12:02:05 PM »

Good for Grandma going to a VR concert!!!!   ok

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
Lucky
Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 12:26:46 PM »

Damn right they are, it is inexplicable!  Maybe they should just release the damn thing already, especially for this grandma fan.  Before she kicks the bucket  nervous

this made me laugh out loud. I find it bad taste, but the way you put is just hilarious!

axlnyc
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 12:40:23 PM »

Thx for laughing, I tried to be funny.  Unfortunately all of us will be kicking the bucket one day, I just hope we get CD before the inevitable becomes reality.

81688-NJ
61791-LI, NY
120991-MSG
121391-MSG
71892-NJ
72992-NJ
30693-CT
120502-MSG
51206-NYC
51506-NYC
51706-NYC
110506-NJ
111006-MSG
111711-NJ
111911-CT
112611-NJ
2/10/12-NYC
2/12/12-
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 03:26:16 PM »

I hope I can still appreciate good music when I get to her age ... hell, I hope I get to her age.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Pinball Wizard
VIP

Hey, Apple!

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 04:32:51 PM »

That rocks!!! The only "unusual" thing my great-grandmother does is to play soccer! She's 91 years old!!  Grin Grin Grin

I hope I can still appreciate good music when I get to her age ... hell, I hope I get to her age.

If I ever make it to her age, I just expect to hear sounds at all!  hihi

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: