Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 10:57:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How much would you pay for Chinese Democracy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much would you pay for Chinese Democracy  (Read 10110 times)
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« on: October 10, 2007, 12:15:04 PM »

If GNR followed Radioheads example and made Chinese Democracy available for download at a price of your choice, how much would you pay? I hear you can chose any rate from as little as $0.01

It must be quite scary for Axl, watching these changes in the industry knowing that he might never clawback the cost of the album from cd sales alone.

If I'm being realistic, I'd probably pay ?8, given it was more than 8 tracks or so. But I wouldn't necessarily pay more for more tracks, which is why from a commercial view point its probably better for the band to split the tracks they have up into diffrent albums.

Here today...ready to rock
bushkarocks!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 12:31:32 PM »

i would go till a euro or 25 for cd
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 02:03:42 PM »

maybe the record company and axl knew that  the music industry would turn out this way anyway, and thats why they have toured for so long without a record, to try and claw back some money before the record goes out officially?

I'd probably pay the normal price of a CD, i dont like all this digital download stuff, i'd prefer a hard copy.

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
djcleaver
Rocker

deep waits...

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 02:05:13 PM »

I'd pay $15, and I'd rather have the actual silver CD with cover art and book.
Wando
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 02:07:02 PM »

For a download, 0.01$. For a "real album", 30-50?. Both max.
FINCKLESTEIN
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 02:17:20 PM »

I, like the rest of the world, have been waiting for CD for 10 years. IF it ever comes out, I would pay $20 for it. The Radiohead idea is interesting, think about it, thats straight profit. No manufacturing, no middle men. All you need is a good server with a T1 connection and there you go! Jarmo could even sell it for Axl! Just use Myspace and Facebook, along with some other cheap viral marketing to promote it! IF it really ever comes out, or a song or two is heard on the radio, word of mouth will spread like a wild fire. Look at this way, this is CHINESE DEMOCRACY, even non-GNR fans will want to hear this record. At least 50 million+ people worldwide will have the CD, no matter what! Either purchasing or downloading for free off limewire or, one kid at school having it and burning 20 copies for his classmates. So, if they put it out traditionally a few million will buy it in the U.S. alone. If they would do the "radiohead" trick (which is really an old marketing idea used in other businesses) those 50 million+ people will give at least a buck for the record. Instead of $.01, start at a dollar. Now that's a lot of cheeseburgers! In turn, again, I would pay $20. Something has to shake up this dinosaur record industry!

rockNroses
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 02:20:23 PM »

Nothing for a download.

15,- to 35,- Euros for a CD, depending on the presentation.

Like I am willing to pay more when I get two discs of music or a bonus DVD or something like that.

The download thing is way overrated.

Radiohead are out of promotion ideas so they big release what both major and indie artists have been doing for years already. They do because their music sucks.

Everyone talks about their promotion stragegies. Guess why? You hear no one speaking about their music. Guess why?

It's not like Radiohead or anyone else for that matter re-invented the wheel, they are only making a big deal about themselves that's all.

Today we have lots of people doing crazy things but so few doing great music. If I would make music I would not try promotion experiments, I would just put out good music. Because the biggest demand is not for bling blang promotion but for good music there is massive demand because there is none out there. But Guns N' Roses have plenty of that good music. So nothing to worry about.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 02:22:36 PM by rockNroses » Logged
Rirobinson
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 02:26:27 PM »

U$ 13.99 as a Single cd or U$28 if a double or deluxe edition. Plus taxes
madagas
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 02:31:09 PM »

Rocknroses, where is all that great Gnr music? No albums in 16 years! You are off your fuckin rocker if you think Radiohead sucks. Axl only wishes he had the artistic talent and balls that Radiohead has.  hihi Shake it up!

I'd pay what I pay for ITUNES....if Gnr decided to actually formally release a download, I would pay approximately a dollar a song.
rockNroses
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 02:35:09 PM »

Rocknroses, where is all that great Gnr music? No albums in 16 years! You are off your fuckin rocker if you think Radiohead sucks.

OK that is matter of personal taste. I would trade anything Radiohead made after OK Computer wich was there last and only real great album for a new GN'R album. The band is gay and overrated. Just my opinion. I know they are considered art and have many fans but I am not one of them.
madagas
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 02:41:22 PM »

Nobody in their band is gay...actually, they are all married. ok Personally, I would take Radiohead's last three albums over the 11 songs we have heard from the new Gnr. Of course, I like some of the Gnr stuff. However, the production on the leaks is quite possibly the worst I have ever heard in rock and roll. Horribly produced. I only hope that Axl has re-done almost all of it.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 02:46:40 PM »

Nobody in their band is gay...actually, they are all married. ok Personally, I would take Radiohead's last three albums over the 11 songs we have heard from the new Gnr. Of course, I like some of the Gnr stuff. However, the production on the leaks is quite possibly the worst I have ever heard in rock and roll. Horribly produced. I only hope that Axl has re-done almost all of it.

Personally, I dig all the new GN'R stuff, at least the more recent leaks and what has been played live over the last couple of years.  But, I agree the production is not good.  It's too clean.  But, keep in mind, those are just demos.

Ali
madagas
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 02:54:40 PM »

I know...I really do think the songs will be altered significantly in sound, mix, tone, and vocals on the final release. Nobody in their right mind would release those songs as they are. Better and Chinese are pretty close but the rest have significant production faults.
rockNroses
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 03:13:28 PM »

Nobody in their band is gay...actually, they are all married. ?Personally, I would take Radiohead's last three albums over the 11 songs we have heard from the new Gnr. Of course, I like some of the Gnr stuff. However, the production on the leaks is quite possibly the worst I have ever heard in rock and roll. Horribly produced. I only hope that Axl has re-done almost all of it.

I agree all the compression and the sloppy mixing is killing a lot of energy in the tracks. But I think they are only demos?

Don't have a problem with the production though, except for the drum sound. It's hard to nail down drum sound on a record full of guitars, effects and such a dominant singer, best thing is probably to make the drums reverby (like Mike Clink did) or make them least present in the mix on but still punchy and cutting through wich is one hell of a microphone and mixing job.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 03:19:42 PM »

If GNR followed Radioheads example and made Chinese Democracy available for download at a price of your choice, how much would you pay? I hear you can chose any rate from as little as $0.01

It must be quite scary for Axl, watching these changes in the industry knowing that he might never clawback the cost of the album from cd sales alone.

If I'm being realistic, I'd probably pay ?8, given it was more than 8 tracks or so. But I wouldn't necessarily pay more for more tracks, which is why from a commercial view point its probably better for the band to split the tracks they have up into diffrent albums.

Assmuning the last count of tracks was right (13) I'd pay $20US for it.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 03:22:37 PM »

Well I think radiohead albums are still good but not as exciting as yet to be released gnr tunes I've heard.
each to their own.

JFYI, on May 17, 2007 Trent said $4 for a NIN album dl.
Quote from: nixon Tongue
Trent: Where does that extra $10 on your album go?

That money's not going into my pocket, I can promise you that. It's just these guys who have f---ed themselves out of a job essentially, that now take it out on ripping off the public. I've got a battle where I'm trying to put out quality material that matters and I've got fans that feel it's their right to steal it and I've got a company that's so bureaucratic and clumsy and ignorant and behind the times they don't know what to do, so they rip the people off.

Q: Given all that, do you have any idea how to approach the release of your next album?

Trent: I've have one record left that I owe a major label, then I will never be seen in a situation like this again. If I could do what I want right now, I would put out my next album, you could download it from my site at as high a bit-rate as you want, pay $4 through PayPal. Come see the show and buy a T-shirt if you like it. I would put out a nicely packaged merchandise piece, if you want to own a physical thing. And it would come out the day that it's done in the studio, not this "Let's wait three months" bulls---.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21741980-5006024,00.html

Would be nice if I could pay musicians directly. I'd pay more than $8 for dling a new GNR album.

However between NIN/radiohead and GNR things might be a little different. I can see GNR gaining huge new or casual fans with a new release.

either way hopefully circumstances are favourable to GNR.
those movements must be more scary for record companies than for musicians.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 03:25:00 PM by ppbebe » Logged
FINCKLESTEIN
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 03:28:10 PM »

a good song is a good song. Blame the songwriting, not the production. Saying the demo's are the worst production you've ever heard in Rock N' Roll is probably the most ignorant statement of the century. Those songs were stolen demo's you flippin' moron! You keep talking about the production! Maybe your Beaven or Roy and bitter you got canned! Or maybe one of the others that lasted a day with Axl. If you knew anything about production, mixing or even worked on a record you would understand the point behind the rough mix. ITS NOT FOR PUBLIC CONSUMPTION! What a joke. Production?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 03:31:07 PM »

Back on topic.

I'd pay the same as I pay on Itunes.

Seems reasonable to me to support the artists I like by buying their music.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 04:01:01 PM »

the 11 songs we have heard from the new Gnr.

Is that including Checkmate?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 04:06:59 PM »

I thought this was funny, one reason why radiohead isnt exactly smart

Radiohead album draws complaints
By THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO - Hailed as revolutionaries for their digital prowess last month, Radiohead's innovative download offer is now being derided by some fans.

Message boards dedicated to the Brit band are alight with complaints over the bit rate for the new album, "In Rainbows," available digitally on Wednesday.

Bit rate determines the audio quality and how much space an MP3 file takes up on a computer or MP3 player.

An e-mail sent to fans who registered to buy the album says "In Rainbows" will be encoded at 160 kbps - higher than the default iTunes rate of 128 kbps but not high enough for some fans.

Music files can be found on the Net at bit rates as high as 320 kbps or as "lossless" files, which is the highest, uncompressed digital format.

Some messages on websites www.Radiohead.com and www.ateaseweb.com complained that Radiohead should have indicated the audio quality on the order page, which encouraged fans to set whatever price they liked for the album.

"I just wish they'd given all the details when the order page went up, so people could adjust their prices accordingly," wunderhorn1 says at the Radiohead message board www.ateaseweb.com.

"They should have a Lossless download option. Very true, 160k is not worth paying for," says Link23.

Over at Radiohead.com, a fan identified as "Dug" begs to differ: "You can't hear the difference between a good MP3 and a CD - 160 kbps should be just fine."

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2007/10/09/4562458-cp.html

Like the article above said, a download like that isnt worth paying for. I'd shell out $30 for a real CD.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: