Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 04:04:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228059 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  GUNS N ROSES - GET IN THE RING?????
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: GUNS N ROSES - GET IN THE RING?????  (Read 15896 times)
Carlos_f_Rose
« on: October 20, 2007, 06:11:22 PM »

1.- Is Get in the ring a LIVE song or the crowd was added in a studio or something like that?
2.- Is there another LIVE version of that song?

After all these years I have only found Axl rants in Spain and things like that.

smoking
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 06:17:23 PM by ? Carlos M.s. » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 06:14:54 PM »

Studio with the crowd dubbed in.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 06:29:44 PM »

http://www.gnrsource.com/songinfo/uyi2/gitr.htm

Written by: "Get In The Ring" was originally written by Duff. Axl wrote the rant about the press, while Slash wrote some of the music.
Written in: "Get In The Ring" was probably written in or before 1989.

Additional information: The song was originally titled "Why Do You Look At Me When You Hate Me", but the title was changed since the band thought it was too long. The vocals were recorded in Toronto, at the Metalworks Recording Studios on June 9, 1991. "Get In The Ring" was the last song the band recorded for "Use Your Illusion". Mick Wall was mentioned because he misquoted Slash several times. The band also thought some articles he wrote did not represent the truth.

Live Performances
"Get In The Ring" was never played live - mostly because Axl thought it was enough to have the song on the album.

Notable Performances:
June 10, 1991 - Saratoga, New York - The "Get In The Ring"-chant was recorded here.

you should check
GNRSOURCE for any question like this

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 06:34:11 PM »

What do you mean by "The song was never played live" and "notable performances"Huh?
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 06:39:53 PM »

well the song was never played live... in an interview axl said that get in the ring is self explanatory song that doesnt need to played live..

in gnrsource the songinfo part has this thing of notables performances of the songs.. as it was never played live, the date of the crow chant recorded for the song was added

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 08:03:38 PM »

The song itself was never played live. The ''get in the ring, get in the ring'' chant was recorded live at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center the 10th of june, 1991.

The moment where Axl tells the crowd about the song, and asks the crowd to help with the chant is available in an audience recording bootleg called ''Dead Horse'' by Bone Beat records.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
snakepiter
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 10:34:40 PM »

anybody could upload that part??

pro old gnr
pro new gnr
pro vr
ForeverGNR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 11:34:40 AM »

Would love to have it too. Smiley
Megaguns
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 06:09:48 AM »

GITR is my ringtone on my phone, i got the one with the crowd and edited it on samsung and put it as my ring tone, (just the part where the guitar begins) sometimes i dont even answer it, just to hear it because it rocks...

only one person in ayear has commented on it and known what it was.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 06:44:09 AM »

Always thought this song was an embarassment. I know they just wanted to record and put most everything they had on the Illusions, but damn, I dislike this one, and always have.
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 06:55:55 AM »

(the chant + following ISE, taken from Dead Horse bootleg)

http://rapidshare.de/files/38402590/06_-_Get_In_The_Ring_speech__It_s_So_Easy.mp3.html

Megaguns
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 07:18:58 AM »

Always thought this song was an embarassment. I know they just wanted to record and put most everything they had on the Illusions, but damn, I dislike this one, and always have.

I do agree partly, Axl ruined this one with the lyrics towards the later parts by making it his outlet to the press and shit. but let me tell you..... back then it was a very fucking badass thing on the record and im sure it made it sell better. i remember loving it as a standout cos it had profanities.

I love the instrumental of this song too, its a strong song.

some might say that its a shame gnr released GITR in the form that they did, but at the same time, it captured the moment. which to me is cool, because when you hear it, it takes you back to those days, and that is what timeless music is to me, when you hear it and you feel like you are 16 again
 peace.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 10:15:01 AM »

I do agree partly, Axl ruined this one with the lyrics towards the later parts by making it his outlet to the press and shit. but let me tell you..... back then it was a very fucking badass thing on the record and im sure it made it sell better. i remember loving it as a standout cos it had profanities.

some might say that its a shame gnr released GITR in the form that they did, but at the same time, it captured the moment. which to me is cool, because when you hear it, it takes you back to those days, and that is what timeless music is to me, when you hear it and you feel like you are 16 again
 peace.

Yeah, I hear that. Believe me, I hear certain songs from these albums and it takes me back to the day they were released and I drove about 90mph to get home and listen. But this particular song is complete garbage to me. I always remember it as the one song I just could not take seriously.
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 11:53:54 AM »

back in the days the song was important for me. now it makes me wonder if being 11 years old is something you should be looking forward to. everytime i listen to get in the ring, this song becomes a time machine and makes me feel like i was a pseudo-rebellious pre-teenager again. though, for the gnr image it was quite useful to have that piece of music on the illusion-albums (and call a tour after it). musically gitr is mediocre, lyrically it works for, well i guess i've just said that...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 12:00:54 PM by whiny » Logged

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
Lostrose
Rocker

This here is my hetero-lifemate, Silent Bob.

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 02:48:42 PM »

peace.

Yeah, I hear that. Believe me, I hear certain songs from these albums and it takes me back to the day they were released and I drove about 90mph to get home and listen. But this particular song is complete garbage to me. I always remember it as the one song I just could not take seriously.

Dude, Get in the Ring rocks...

I guess, I guess, I guess I never fuckin' learn...
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 02:13:49 PM »

Hey All,

So my band has been doing some recording at Metal Works studios in Mississauga, Canada. When I told our engineer that I'm a huge GNR fan he told me a really funny story about when GNR came in to record the vocals and mix the chanting for Get in The Ring. Now, he didn't work on the album, but he worked for years with the guy who was the assistant engineer at the time when Get In The Ring was being being recorded at the studios.

He told me a really funny story about those last few lines of the song "This dedicated to all the Guns N' Roses fans...".  It's actually suppose to go longer, that more was written, and that Slash was suppose to keep on reading. What happened was that Slash was so drunk that when he got to "and to all those opposed" he thought he was done and looked into the engineer room and said "Well?" and kind of chuckled 'cause the guys in the engineer room were dying of laughter. He wasn't saying "Well" to the listener or those who opposed GNR, he was really asking, "well, how was that, was that good" to the guys in the booth. The engineers and producers thought it was so funny they just kept it.

Another story he told me was that Axl had shown up to do some vocal work on the song and at some point he really wanted to watch a video. So they set him up in his own green room (which the engineer believes is the room my band is in). Axl's instructions were that absolutely no one was to be allowed in, that he wanted to be left on his own. But then Duff, drunk at the time, came barging through the room door to ask Axl a question and Axl lost it and flipped out. Not so much at Duff, but the guys who were suppose to keep anyone from coming in. So he stormed out of the recording studio and just started walking. The area around Metal Works is fairly developed now, but 20 years ago it was just farmland and corn fields. So they sent the limo after Axl just so he wouldn't get lost when he needed to get back.

Anyway, that's all he told me. He might have confused who was actually doing the last vocal line, perhaps it was Duff, but he seemed fairly adamant that it was Slash. And it's 100% NOT Axl saying those lines.

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
Il?vatar
Headliner

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 05:51:53 PM »

I always thought it was Duff who said "Hey fuckers, suck on Guns N Fuckin Roses" at the beginning of Live Like A Suicide, but it was Slash. Its a similar voice to the one at the end of Get In The Ring, so it might well be him.

Check out the beginning of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsyAJXs7C_w
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 08:19:22 PM »

I always thought it was Duff who said "Hey fuckers, suck on Guns N Fuckin Roses" at the beginning of Live Like A Suicide, but it was Slash. Its a similar voice to the one at the end of Get In The Ring, so it might well be him.

I thought it was a roadie or something....

And I've always thought it was Duff who said the "This song is dedicated...." line. But nice story anyway. Cheesy

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 10:27:05 PM »

I thought it was a roadie or something....

And I've always thought it was Duff who said the "This song is dedicated...." line. But nice story anyway. Cheesy

Yeah, I always thought it was Duff too, but I remember seeing a thread on another forum about this on whether it was Slash, Duff or Axl.  It's definitely not Axl.  This story came second-handed, so take it for what it's worth.  Perhaps it was Duff who was loaded and fucked up the ending, but I don't doubt that it went down like it did considering it was told me by a guy who works at the studio where it was recorded.  They had some really nice RIAA awards on the wall for UYI2.  It was pretty sweet being in the same studios and recording in the same rooms that my idols once recorded. 

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
Jeramy
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 02:02:42 AM »

funny story about get in the ring here... back when i was in high school, i'd say about 9th grade we had this P.E.  teacher who loved bowling and always talked about taking our class to the local bowling alley for a field trip if we did well throughout the year.  well, i guess we behaved and did well enough because he ended up taking the whole class bowling one day on a school bus... so we get there and i notice they have a jukebox that blasts music throughout the place and i check out what cds were in it and they had use your illusion 2 (unedited)  hihi  so me and a friend of mine decided we'd play get in ring like 3 times  rofl

the teacher got so pissed off they had to unplugging the jukebox... i can still see his face

"He's in my band, that's where Slash is, fuckhead. Go home!"
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: