Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 05:46:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228070 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Wow, never saw this clip
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wow, never saw this clip  (Read 17342 times)
Agno
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2007, 05:37:37 PM »

Voodoo, not sure on who has better chops, but Duff's tone is fucking killer.  It helped, like Slash's tone, make that GNR sound!!

Definitely, everyone in GN'R helped make the GN'R sound.

Pure bass playing?  That will be easier to say after Chinese Democracy is out, I think.  But, I truly believe that Duff is not in Tommy's league overall as musician, including bass playing, music writing, melody writing, lyric writing, playing other instruments (guitar, drums), and singing.

Ali

The best songs I have ever heard is made by Guns n' Roses and I think their melodies is the best. That's why Duff is a higher "league". He made a complete album by himself with great drums and guitars and he sings great. His solo music got great melodies to I love them. I don't like Tommy's singing and I don't like his work outside Guns n Roses to much. I think it's a mather of taste.

As a Guns n' Roses fan I must say that the people who made the Guns n Roses classic are some of the greatest musicians ever. Because they made my favourite songs and they play hell good!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2007, 07:41:40 PM »

Voodoo, not sure on who has better chops, but Duff's tone is fucking killer.? It helped, like Slash's tone, make that GNR sound!!

Pure bass playing?? That will be easier to say after Chinese Democracy is out, I think.? But, I truly believe that Duff is not in Tommy's league overall as musician, including bass playing, music writing, melody writing, lyric writing, playing other instruments (guitar, drums), and singing.

Ali

The best songs I have ever heard is made by Guns n' Roses and I think their melodies is the best. That's why Duff is a higher "league". He made a complete album by himself with great drums and guitars and he sings great. His solo music got great melodies to I love them. I don't like Tommy's singing and I don't like his work outside Guns n Roses to much. I think it's a mather of taste.

As a Guns n' Roses fan I must say that the people who made the Guns n Roses classic are some of the greatest musicians ever. Because they made my favourite songs and they play hell good!

Duff being in Guns N' Roses does not put him in a higher league than Tommy as a musician, as much as I love GN'R.  Duff didn't write melody lines in GN'R like Axl or Slash did, so you can't credit him with that.

It is a matter of taste, and as that, Duff does not hold a candle to Tommy as an overall musician, singing and songwriting included.  Especially songwriting.

Ali
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2007, 11:24:10 AM »

Voodoo, not sure on who has better chops, but Duff's tone is fucking killer.  It helped, like Slash's tone, make that GNR sound!!

Pure bass playing?  That will be easier to say after Chinese Democracy is out, I think.  But, I truly believe that Duff is not in Tommy's league overall as musician, including bass playing, music writing, melody writing, lyric writing, playing other instruments (guitar, drums), and singing.

Ali

Duff being in Guns N' Roses does not put him in a higher league than Tommy as a musician, as much as I love GN'R.  Duff didn't write melody lines in GN'R like Axl or Slash did, so you can't credit him with that.

It is a matter of taste, and as that, Duff does not hold a candle to Tommy as an overall musician, singing and songwriting included.  Especially songwriting.

Ali

dude... have you even heard the Loaded - Darkest Days album? whole album there is KILLER! with GREAT melodies!
also his second solo album - Beautiful Desiese got some songs with awesome singing on it! sure, not the screaming Axl use to do, but in Duff's own special way!

i think Tommy's singing gets a bit blunt...

and another think, Neurotic Outsiders - 6 Feet Under and Good New, Bad News are GENIUS songs!

Cant get enough of that wonderfull Duff!

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2007, 11:41:54 AM »

dude... have you even heard the Loaded - Darkest Days album? whole album there is KILLER! with GREAT melodies!
also his second solo album - Beautiful Desiese got some songs with awesome singing on it! sure, not the screaming Axl use to do, but in Duff's own special way!

and another think, Neurotic Outsiders - 6 Feet Under and Good New, Bad News are GENIUS songs!

You're arguing about personal taste.

Personally I'd take "Motivation" by Tommy Stinson over anything Duff has ever produced outside GN'R.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2007, 11:47:09 AM »

Personally I'd take "Motivation" by Tommy Stinson over anything Duff has ever produced outside GN'R.

/jarmo

as ali said:

---------

i think Duff holds a fuckin' torch compared to tommy's little t-light...
there for, i think Duff is more talented than Tommy

even though Tommy rocks!

so does Motivation... but still, as i  said, i dont care too much for him as a vocalist....

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Ali
Legend

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2007, 11:48:06 AM »

Voodoo, not sure on who has better chops, but Duff's tone is fucking killer.? It helped, like Slash's tone, make that GNR sound!!

Pure bass playing?? That will be easier to say after Chinese Democracy is out, I think.? But, I truly believe that Duff is not in Tommy's league overall as musician, including bass playing, music writing, melody writing, lyric writing, playing other instruments (guitar, drums), and singing.

Ali

Duff being in Guns N' Roses does not put him in a higher league than Tommy as a musician, as much as I love GN'R.? Duff didn't write melody lines in GN'R like Axl or Slash did, so you can't credit him with that.

It is a matter of taste, and as that, Duff does not hold a candle to Tommy as an overall musician, singing and songwriting included.? Especially songwriting.

Ali

Duff is a great musician, but I think Tommy is another league as a songwriter. ?I actually think he's a better songwriter than Izzy. ?His melodies on Village Gorilla Head are as killer as it gets, for me.

Which isn't to take anything away from Beautiful Disease or Loaded, I just think Tommy's a level above.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2007, 11:51:13 AM »

/jarmo

"Motivation"?  What about "Light of Day", "Someday", "O.K.", "Hey You", "Not A Moment Too Soon" or "Without A View"?

You get my drift  Grin

Ali
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 12:12:15 PM by Ali » Logged
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2007, 12:09:13 PM »

I don't know ow anyone can say Duff is a better all around musician then Tommy. Tommy's solo stuff completely blows Duff's out of the water. From the Bash n Pop stuff right up to his Village Gorilla Head album, is all amazing stuff. Anyone who hasn't heard all those albums are seriously missing out.
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2007, 12:55:52 PM »

The "Official" Duff Vs. Tommy thread  Grin

If the world would end today... Wink
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2007, 05:33:51 PM »

The "Official" Duff Vs. Tommy thread Grin

hihi
shut up bitches, Duff is better!
I'd say Tommy's solo album is as good as Loaded and Beautiful Disease, and Duff is one helluva more interesting bassist than Tommy. in the end, Duff 3 - 1 Tommy. nah, more to Duff really.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2007, 08:11:38 PM »

Lyrics to EVERY song on EVERY Duff solo album:

la la la FUCK ... la la FUCK FUCKIN FUCK

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2007, 08:41:17 PM »

To Duff's credit, he kept the rythym section (like tommy) tight yet loose. Being a former drummer and decent guitar player allowed Duff to get a killer groove, something the new GNR songs seem to lack a lot of.  Also Duff has some good bass intros and very cool fills even on a ballad type song like SCOM.  For Appetite and other classic GNR albums, there could not have been anyone else because the roles everyone played are almost perfect.  He was the perfect bass player for knowing his role.  You knew he was there, but he didn't try to step on anyones toes like a guy like Flea or Les Claypool would.  So in a band with such dynamic personalities like GNR, he contributed just the right amount to make the music almost perfect.  Also Duff almost self taught Adler how to play.  He has a great sense of timing and groove and I do like his tone. 

I think Tommy is a good player and more of a session Jack of all trades type of guy.  Skilled in many aspects, but didn't really revolutionize anything.  And neither did Duff, but Duff did live the life and was in the biggest band in the world at one point.  For all of Tommy's accomplishments, he will never top what Duff has done.  And he doesn't have too cause this isn't a pissing contest.  I just think some people forget how magical life was 1987-1993.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2007, 09:17:42 AM »

^ what do you mean he self tought Adler how to play?
Adler had played drums for years before he met Duff. now Duff probably helped Adler with the timing a lot since they were a rhythm team.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2007, 01:57:07 PM »

Adler had played drums for years before he met Duff. now Duff probably helped Adler with the timing a lot since they were a rhythm team.

Maybe I should have said that Duff was huge in teaching Adler timing and finding the groove.  He stripped down adler's kit and made him listen to Prince and Motown to improve his drumming.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2007, 02:39:26 PM »

Maybe I should have said that Duff was huge in teaching Adler timing and finding the groove. He stripped down adler's kit and made him listen to Prince and Motown to improve his drumming.

Ive heard something like this before, but I have heard that it was Izzy that stripped his kit down.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: