Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 11:05:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  What you reading? Your fav books? The book thread
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What you reading? Your fav books? The book thread  (Read 189776 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #960 on: June 02, 2008, 04:15:08 AM »

bought Jeffery Deaver's "The Sleeping Dolls"

I liked it. Started off a bit boring IMO, but has some nice Deaver style twists. ok

Fuck 'Em All.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #961 on: June 05, 2008, 04:41:31 AM »

Caral Sagan -Contact

Cool Book!

Not something one would read, but I just picked up a copy of Clarkson's "Invertebrate Evolution and Paleontology".

Ooh, the memories.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #962 on: June 17, 2008, 02:12:10 AM »

Odd Hours was excellent. definitely the 2nd best of the series. read bout  the whole thing on my way home from Myrtle beach.

I have delayed the Deaver novel cause I was visiting Kentucky, had nothing to read and noticed i had brought home some books from years past.

I noticed a copy of Koontz' classic "Phantoms" which I somehow never got around to reading.

So i was bored and picked it up and have read bout 50 pages so far

Great kick ass novel.

phantoms like a mo fucker *quoting Jay and Ben affleck in Jay and silent bob strike back

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #963 on: June 17, 2008, 02:34:55 AM »

Once again, not something one would read, but I have been perusing Shimer and Shirock's classic "Index Fossils Of North America"(8th edition,1965).

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #964 on: July 10, 2008, 07:08:36 PM »

Just read Under the Lake by Stuart Woods. A really great story with one hell of a twist at the end.

Right now I'm on State of Fear by Michael Crighton. So far it's quite good.

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #965 on: July 14, 2008, 04:53:27 AM »

Has anyone read any Harlan Coben books? I'm on my third one in a row. I started reading his stuff years ago when I read Gone For Good. I'm reading his newest book The Innocent. The last one I read was Just One Look. That was the BEST book I've ever read. I thought Gone For Good was the best, but Just One Look was better. I just did checked his website and COOL BEANS! His new book will be released on my birthday!! I would love to discuss some of thise book if someone would message me.  Wink

I've read all his books and he is one of the best authors out there. Coben's plots are so intricate and tied together that Deaver doesn't even come close. Those of you who haven't read Harlan Coben yet, check out this book:

'Tell No One'

I wouldn't hesitate to say that it is THE BEST crime fiction / thriller book I've ever read.

Fuck 'Em All.
Rapunzel
Yes, I will probably get banned again.
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #966 on: July 14, 2008, 05:13:45 AM »

I've read something very similar to that where the protagonist's love was viciously raped.

Thanks for the link.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #967 on: July 14, 2008, 05:16:50 AM »

Almost finished with Phantoms and although I like it, the book is pretty dumb actually. way too many plot holes and it just is ridiculous.

i hate any movie or whatever where 1,000 people die at the snap of a finger but for some reason the main characters just kind of float a long for whatever reason.......................

polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #968 on: July 14, 2008, 07:27:30 AM »

Fritz Springmeyer - Bloodlines of the Illuminati

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #969 on: July 29, 2008, 07:24:49 PM »

For twelve years you've been asking "Who is John Galt?" This is John Galt speaking. I'm the man who's taken away your victims and thus destroyed your world. You've heard it said that this is an age of moral crisis and that Man's sins are destroying the world. But your chief virtue has been sacrifice, and you've demanded more sacrifices at every disaster. You've sacrificed justice to mercy and happiness to duty. So why should you be afraid of the world around you?

Your world is only the product of your sacrifices. While you were dragging the men who made your happiness possible to your sacrificial altars, I beat you to it. I reached them first and told them about the game you were playing and where it would take them. I explained the consequences of your 'brother-love' morality, which they had been too innocently generous to understand. You won't find them now, when you need them more than ever.

We're on strike against your creed of unearned rewards and unrewarded duties. If you want to know how I made them quit, I told them exactly what I'm telling you tonight. I taught them the morality of Reason -- that it was right to pursue one's own happiness as one's principal goal in life. I don't consider the pleasure of others my goal in life, nor do I consider my pleasure the goal of anyone else's life.

I am a trader. I earn what I get in trade for what I produce. I ask for nothing more or nothing less than what I earn. That is justice. I don't force anyone to trade with me; I only trade for mutual benefit. Force is the great evil that has no place in a rational world. One may never force another human to act against his/her judgment. If you deny a man's right to Reason, you must also deny your right to your own judgment. Yet you have allowed your world to be run by means of force, by men who claim that fear and joy are equal incentives, but that fear and force are more practical.

You've allowed such men to occupy positions of power in your world by preaching that all men are evil from the moment they're born. When men believe this, they see nothing wrong in acting in any way they please. The name of this absurdity is 'original sin'. That's impossible. That which is outside the possibility of choice is also outside the province of morality. To call sin that which is outside man's choice is a mockery of justice. To say that men are born with a free will but with a tendency toward evil is ridiculous. If the tendency is one of choice, it doesn't come at birth. If it is not a tendency of choice, then man's will is not free.

And then there's your 'brother-love' morality. Why is it moral to serve others, but not yourself? If enjoyment is a value, why is it moral when experienced by others, but not by you? Why is it immoral to produce something of value and keep it for yourself, when it is moral for others who haven't earned it to accept it? If it's virtuous to give, isn't it then selfish to take?

Your acceptance of the code of selflessness has made you fear the man who has a dollar less than you because it makes you feel that that dollar is rightfully his. You hate the man with a dollar more than you because the dollar he's keeping is rightfully yours. Your code has made it impossible to know when to give and when to grab.

You know that you can't give away everything and starve yourself. You've forced yourselves to live with undeserved, irrational guilt. Is it ever proper to help another man? No, if he demands it as his right or as a duty that you owe him. Yes, if it's your own free choice based on your judgment of the value of that person and his struggle. This country wasn't built by men who sought handouts. In its brilliant youth, this country showed the rest of the world what greatness was possible to Man and what happiness is possible on Earth.

Then it began apologizing for its greatness and began giving away its wealth, feeling guilty for having produced more than its neighbors. Twelve years ago, I saw what was wrong with the world and where the battle for Life had to be fought. I saw that the enemy was an inverted morality and that my acceptance of that morality was its only power. I was the first of the men who refused to give up the pursuit of his own happiness in order to serve others.

To those of you who retain some remnant of dignity and the will to live your lives for yourselves, you have the chance to make the same choice. Examine your values and understand that you must choose one side or the other. Any compromise between good and evil only hurts the good and helps the evil.

If you've understood what I've said, stop supporting your destroyers. Don't accept their philosophy. Your destroyers hold you by means of your endurance, your generosity, your innocence, and your love. Don't exhaust yourself to help build the kind of world that you see around you now. In the name of the best within you, don't sacrifice the world to those who will take away your happiness for it.

The world will change when you are ready to pronounce this oath:
I swear by my Life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for the sake of mine.

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #970 on: July 29, 2008, 11:12:16 PM »

is this just about the book or is there some relivence to the alleged song?

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #971 on: July 30, 2008, 12:08:09 AM »

is this just about the book or is there some relivence to the alleged song?

You draw your own conclusions about this.

This is a must read book and Axl shouldn't have to put a song out to make you read it.  yes

There is a famous speech towards the end, 50-60 pages long!!!! The above is the short version of it.

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #972 on: July 30, 2008, 12:23:19 AM »

Isn't that book like 1000 pages long?  I'm not much of a reader, so that might take me years to finish.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #973 on: July 30, 2008, 12:26:42 AM »

The bitch was an indian hater - so in my book can burn in hell.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #974 on: August 04, 2008, 11:22:33 PM »

Finished Phantoms...... it was ok but a very overrated Koontz book

I am now reading two books simultaneously:

Becoming The Natural autobiography by Randy Couture
and Boxing trainer legend Teddy Atlas' Autobiography

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #975 on: August 05, 2008, 01:27:13 AM »

Check out this superb book: 'Shutter Island' by Dennis Lehane. Amazing book. The plot will remind you of a famous movie (won't say which) although the two are totally unrelated. You might want to read it before the Scorcese - Caprio movie hits next year.

Fuck 'Em All.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #976 on: August 09, 2008, 05:18:41 AM »

I have just got into the Gibbon's classic "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire". Usually, the old dudes don't do much for me, but I must admit, this guy knew his shit.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #977 on: September 12, 2008, 11:12:09 AM »

Plato - Republic

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Jim
I was cured, all right.