Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 07:07:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227890 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Staff Cuts Hit Geffen, Interscope
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Staff Cuts Hit Geffen, Interscope  (Read 8914 times)
cybercurves
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: December 15, 2007, 12:15:57 AM »

According to Billboard:

http://billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i7dd5f51b9e62d892c015568999fc45b2

With the huge magnitude of Chinese Democracy around the corner, how possibly could the record company give this album the proper attention that it deserves, if it's on the verge of being dismantled? 

I just wish people would stop blaming Axl just because the album didn't get released this year.  This is clearly not his fault. 

Baz is not a liar, he's always been straight forward with his remarks.  If he said "Axl really wanted the album out this year", then we have to believe him. There's no reason not to. 

I hope things get all straighten out and next year we'll see the release of CD!

cybercurves

Regibold
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 02:23:03 AM »

Well.....it's been an extremely long road for fans, and Axl as well, esp. Axl. You may have something here as far as it not being released this year by posting this latest thread, not to mention Baz's quote of course. What about the other years, Lord only knows. However, (to a degree), I still think Axl is fearful of putting it on the line so to speak, and (if true) that's pretty damn unfortunate for someone who's got the unique ability to put so much emotion forth in performance, and in words.   
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 02:48:17 AM »

Well.....it's been an extremely long road for fans, and Axl as well, esp. Axl. You may have something here as far as it not being released this year by posting this latest thread, not to mention Baz's quote of course. What about the other years, Lord only knows. However, (to a degree), I still think Axl is fearful of putting it on the line so to speak, and (if true) that's pretty damn unfortunate for someone who's got the unique ability to put so much emotion forth in performance, and in words.   

I think Axl is gonna need to find a really unique strategy in maximizing his successes with the upcoming records.
Those days of going platinum and multi-platinum (5x + ) are clearly over in most cases. There needs to be other ways to measure success of records (paid downloads, concerts, merchandising).

MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
cineater
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 08:26:31 AM »

Well that resolves the issue. 

A nice big project like GNR should pull the two teams together after they establish the pecking order and get them off to a good start.  Not that it's smooth sailing for the music industry but everyone can start looking towards the future. 

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »

mabye now geffen needs to resolve this issue and find their feet "persay"
before concentrating on putting together a hugh prolific release which chinese democracy needs to have,

which means that cd might take a backseat , for all we know,
so, Lets sit back,
grab the popcorn,
and wait for cd to be released

xx/xx/3xxx

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 09:04:04 AM »

No backseat, GNR can make money with little promotion.  The media loves to beat on Axl, word of mouth will spread like wild fire.

This all kind of reminds me of the Motown era.  They could sell the single and the band but nothing lasted very long. 

Jaci_Roxx
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 09:05:27 AM »

From the article:

"The cuts are the latest in a string of major label layoffs, which included Island Def Jam and Sony BMG earlier this month."

I don't think it's such a big deal.
snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 09:47:01 AM »

Most corporations do staff cuts and reorganization in the last quarter of the year. Compounded with this being the 'record company industry', it's par for the course. Nothing shocking here.

Whether or not CD has been handed over or not, I would think that such a project and it's release would not have such bearing on staff cuts. It's too big of a project. I'd be worried for all the lesser known/up and coming bands. Last hired, first fired.

Besides, the labels tend to launch the BIG stuff in the spring. The last quarter of the year, you mostly get compilations and stuff on sale. So, once again, wishful thinking for Q1 '08.

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 09:51:20 AM »

My fear is that the label is going to continue to play hardball with Axl due to the cost and delays accrued over the years. ?The label's idea of recouping the cost and Axl's idea of proper promotion amongst numerous other terms could be very problematic in thier negotiations. ?Lawyers get involved and this thing could potentially be shelved indefinitely.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Jaci_Roxx
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 10:17:33 AM »

My fear is that the label is going to continue to play hardball with Axl due to the cost and delays accrued over the years. ?The label's idea of recouping the cost and Axl's idea of proper promotion amongst numerous other terms could be very problematic in thier negotiations. ?Lawyers get involved and this thing could potentially be shelved indefinitely.

I refuse to believe that they could be so stupid. They're professionals in music biz, how could they not know that the only thing bigger than the release of CD would be Elvis found alive?  Tongue
cineater
Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 02:28:09 PM »

Last hired, first fired--not true in today's market.  Last hired gets paid less and is not set in their ways.  Also more willing to do without ie Axl may yet be driving the tour bus--lol

ibelieveinaxl
It's a bad obsession...
Banned
VIP

Ain't goin' down.....

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 04:06:19 PM »

Most corporations do staff cuts and reorganization in the last quarter of the year. Compounded with this being the 'record company industry', it's par for the course. Nothing shocking here.

Whether or not CD has been handed over or not, I would think that such a project and it's release would not have such bearing on staff cuts. It's too big of a project. I'd be worried for all the lesser known/up and coming bands. Last hired, first fired.

Besides, the labels tend to launch the BIG stuff in the spring. The last quarter of the year, you mostly get compilations and stuff on sale. So, once again, wishful thinking for Q1 '08.

the cuts have nothing to do with the release of the album. nothing people. it is an cost cutting exercise. they are still in the business of selling records. they still have to sell records to stay in business. as i stated earlier, the cd has not been handed over to the label...some of you are barking up the wrong tree.

Where does it come from? All this hatred.

1988-Today: 71 shows and counting....
cineater
Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 04:17:07 PM »

Would you hand it over if you knew they were having problems like this?  I think we have our eye on the ball.

By the way, has anyone checked the site that said they were mixing the cd to see if the GNR release is still on there?

ibelieveinaxl
It's a bad obsession...
Banned
VIP

Ain't goin' down.....

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 05:33:33 PM »

Would you hand it over if you knew they were having problems like this?? I think we have our eye on the ball.

By the way, has anyone checked the site that said they were mixing the cd to see if the GNR release is still on there?

yes, of course i would. the cuts are just cost saving measures. the company is still there to do business. the cuts have nothing to do with the ability to put out the album. also, the band is legally obligated to hand over the cd b/c of their agreement with geffen. as for when they have to turn it in, well.......

Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 05:46:59 PM »

If the label was going to "properly" set this album up, mass promotion, marketing, videos and the whole bit... are u lookin at 25 million- 35 million dollars? maybe more.. i could see interscope/ geffen having a problem setting that up for a band that hasnt done a whole lot in 17 years.

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
ibelieveinaxl
It's a bad obsession...
Banned
VIP

Ain't goin' down.....

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 06:03:41 PM »

If the label was going to "properly" set this album up, mass promotion, marketing, videos and the whole bit... are u lookin at 25 million- 35 million dollars? maybe more.. i could see interscope/ geffen having a problem setting that up for a band that hasnt done a whole lot in 17 years.

your numbers are way off. plus, they are a huge company and yes they do have the funds to do proper marketing. they need to have a finshed, turned in album to get that going...that has not happened.

DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 06:44:51 PM »

This is exactly what I posted on my board.  I work for a big corporation and the very same thing happens from time to time.
I also don't think it will have very much bearing on the situation with CD.    Granted Geffen lost 2 veterans but they didn't lose the whole company and I am sure that there are other veterans that still have their jobs.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 07:11:24 PM »

trying to speculate on this shit is useless.    none of us are in the know.    it gets frustrating seeing the same people constantly stating their opinions like facts.  everyone should just chill on this whole album thing and wait for Axl to say something.
isa
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 07:21:56 PM »

According to Billboard:

http://billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i7dd5f51b9e62d892c015568999fc45b2

With the huge magnitude of Chinese Democracy around the corner, how possibly could the record company give this album the proper attention that it deserves, if it's on the verge of being dismantled??

I just wish people would stop blaming Axl just because the album didn't get released this year.? This is clearly not his fault.?

Baz is not a liar, he's always been straight forward with his remarks.? If he said "Axl really wanted the album out this year", then we have to believe him. There's no reason not to.?

I hope things get all straighten out and next year we'll see the release of CD!

cybercurves

right! it's not his fault, noone more than him wanted that album out this year
November_Rain
Loyal to death
VIP

The bittersweet honey of your eyes...

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 08:16:56 AM »

I?ve always thought and have said that there could be some issues behind the scenes that could cause delays or shit. I don?t know, but maybe this could be one of those issues?. Also, it is obvious that if the band have been working hard in this record they want it to be released and not kept to be unheard.

Nobody will ever love you the way I do...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: