Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 06:41:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228060 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  How good is Duff as a bass player ?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How good is Duff as a bass player ?  (Read 6139 times)
Irish gunner II
Rocker

IRISH BY BIRTH, CORK BY THE GRACE OF GOD

« on: March 02, 2008, 07:49:35 PM »

Well the title is my question really. I mean I'm biased as I'm a GNR and VR fan but on a purely musician basis, how good is he ?

I mean when people look back on the history of music, where will duff feature ? Of the greatest of all time ? Best of his generation ? 
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 07:52:11 PM »

He's an accomplished musician ... he has a great feel for the bass ... and is more technical than some people think!  He's far from the most amazing bassist in the world ... but Duff isn't just a root notes guy ... he'll put together a kick ass melody... well ... you can hear for yourself Smiley

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
Irish gunner II
Rocker

IRISH BY BIRTH, CORK BY THE GRACE OF GOD

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 07:58:51 PM »

He's an accomplished musician ... he has a great feel for the bass ... and is more technical than some people think!  He's far from the most amazing bassist in the world ... but Duff isn't just a root notes guy ... he'll put together a kick ass melody... well ... you can hear for yourself Smiley

Well yes I think it's good stuff, I was trying to get an impression from a TECHNICAL standpoint and from musicians.
SpiritDave
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 08:02:24 PM »

Well yes I think it's good stuff, I was trying to get an impression from a TECHNICAL standpoint and from musicians.

Ok ... well, I'm a musician ... and I'm telling you, yes he's good.

He's god an awesome sense of rhythm ... his playing is tight as hell ... and he can throw his hands around the fretboard plenty Smiley

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 09:15:13 PM »

Duff is awesome.  Top 100 easy. 

Perfect sense of what to do as a bass player.  Killer tone.  Killer bass lines.  Sweet Child, Double Talkin Jive Outro.  Duff is pretty intelligent musically.
Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 09:19:18 PM »

Is he better than Nikki Sixx? Who cares. Is he better than Les Claypool? No, but he sold more albums than Les. Have you tried playing the bass solo in the beginning of SCOM? He said it himself that he was worried about getting technically any better because he didn't want to lose his "feel". There must be something about his playing to get him where he's at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u_8zOoQokw

lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 09:21:38 PM »

Guess that says it all, right there. 
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 09:33:49 PM »

Duff isn't the most skilled player in the world but he def. has his own style that makes up for any of that. He isn't gonna play stuff like Matt Freeman where he can take over the whole song, but he always adds something to whatever he plays on and whenever I have seen him live he is flawless.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 09:36:09 PM »

He's mediocre at best.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 09:37:05 PM »

I like his work, but he ain't no Stanley Clarke

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 09:51:04 PM »

As a bass player he is one of my favorites. I think generally he is under rated, even within the GnR community sometimes.
There's an interview with him where he says he plays the bass as a 'singing' instrument and a percussive instrument in the sense that the beginning of SCOM sings, while the intro for Right Next Door To Hell is percussive.
He has a great sense of rythm and groove, and adds a lot of cool touches to songs. He has an awesome style.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 12:15:33 AM »

I think he's a good musician and that he comes up with some good bass lines, but he's not a real technical player and his bass doesn't really stand out in songs... He gets the job done well.

while the intro for Right Next Door To Hell is percussive.

That's Slash on a six string bass.

Fuck 'Em All.
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 12:32:14 AM »

I think he's a good musician and that he comes up with some good bass lines, but he's not a real technical player and his bass doesn't really stand out in songs... He gets the job done well.

while the intro for Right Next Door To Hell is percussive.

That's Slash on a six string bass.

Huh, must have sliped my mind.
Here's the quote I was refering to:
"...but the beginning of Sweet Child sings. The more abrasive songs, like the beginning of Right Next Door To Hell, is what I mean by percussive."
Must be reffering to his parts in it after the six string.

I dissagree however with people saying his bass doesn't really stand out. They're huge parts of songs to me, I'm always picking out fills here and there, and the bass stands out well for me.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 12:59:53 AM »

In my opinion Flea is the greatest Bass player in the world. Claypool may technically be better than Flea but Flea is better at composition, melody, riff and is the best all around bass player.

Duff is an average guitar player who took up playing bass, so he does a lot of guitar type feels on bass. He has a lot of feel and style, he is very solid.

Not sure Duff has ever slapped or done any technique like that.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
SpiritDave
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 01:51:24 AM »

In my opinion Flea is the greatest Bass player in the world. Claypool may technically be better than Flea but Flea is better at composition, melody, riff and is the best all around bass player.

Duff is an average guitar player who took up playing bass, so he does a lot of guitar type feels on bass. He has a lot of feel and style, he is very solid.

Not sure Duff has ever slapped or done any technique like that.

Slap bass just sounds horrible in band situations in my opinion ... so I actually think players like Flea etc, are overrated.

Smiley  It's like saying Eddie Van halen can tap faster than Zakk so he's a better player.  But actually, Zakk writes cooler riffs in my opinion, and can pick faster than Eddie.

I think what people focus on will determine how skilled they feel Duff is.  Duff doesn't slap ... so what...?   Smiley

don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 04:46:28 AM »

I think duff is a great player.  Songs like Nightrain, Sweet Child, Coma and DTJ have really cool bass fills, and duff generally lays down a good bassline.  I've not listened to VR enough to notice much bass, but certainly for Gnr, he was good. Much as he may try to look like Sid Vicious, his bass playing is markedly better. 

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 05:52:25 AM »

Im a musician, and I think Duff is great,he is high on the top ten list as a bass player in the rock/heavy/metal genre.. He is very groovy and have a great feeling and tone. I think its fair to judge his playing within the genre, and not comparing him to other styles, as that is like comparing apples to oranges..  And like someone said, he is very intelligent musically, just listen to all the stuff he have done and you should be able to heart it for yourselves  yes

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 10:43:12 AM »

He reminds me alot of how Slash is to guitar players. Neither are what you would call technically gifted, but you would be hard pressed to find a bass player or a lead guitarist with a better resume the past 2 decades.

50 years from now Duff will still be the bass player on Appetite for Destruction. No one will remember where he ranked among bass players on technical ability, but like the other 4 members of the original GNR their contribution to rock music will be immortal.

I bet if you gave him a choice between rock immortality or technical ability he would choose option 1 every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Playing on possibly the greatest rock n' roll album of all time and a likely spot in the Hall of Fame is not a bad career by any stretch of the means.
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 11:00:13 AM »

ITs So Easy! Duff is great!
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 11:13:29 AM »

he's awesome, he's one of them who can write something simple and it sounds fucking awesome
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: