Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:34:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?  (Read 79572 times)
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2008, 01:51:27 PM »

The Eagles came out in October.  But the eagles album is a double album.  So it's 7 million CDs sold...but only 3.5 million versions of the album.

Quoted For Truth.

If Chinese Democracy is a Wal*Mart only release, I won't buy it.

Smiley
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2008, 01:55:35 PM »

If its released in wal mart and u don't have one near you, you know what I would do ? I would drive to the nearest Wal Mart and grab a copy I don't care if gas is expensive I would drive a thousand miles to purchase this CD.  The car ride would consist of AFD first, Lies, UY1/2, and then the spagetti incident by the time all those CD's are done you will be at your destination.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2008, 01:56:44 PM »

I wonder how many people with "ethics" issues about Wal-Mart have illegally downloaded the leaks.

Besides the obvious "ethics" contradiction, you are the sole reason the music industry have had no choice but to come up with creative sources of revenue such as exclusive retailers and video game releases.

Edit: And yes, I contributed to that as well, but I'm not bitching about it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:07:51 PM by Oh My Choking Soul » Logged

GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2008, 01:59:02 PM »

The Eagles came out in October.  But the eagles album is a double album.  So it's 7 million CDs sold...but only 3.5 million versions of the album.

Quoted For Truth.

Smiley

Wow I've heard it all some people u just can't please.  I hate walmart too but if Chinese Democracy is the only place I can buy it ? IM THERE !!!

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »

So let me get this straight on how all of this works.

What special advantages do u get for releasing it straight to Wal Mart or somewhere? Do they pay any of the recording costs or do anything like that? Help with the promotion? I know GNR and the label probably get a bigger piece of the revenue.

Usually the retailer pays the artist for the the exclusivity.....some sort of flat fee.

I'm not sure on revenue, though.  I don't THINK there would be any additional monies per unit....but maybe.  You'd likely be cutting the middleman out of the process (a distributor) so the artist may get part, or all, of that "cut".

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Jada
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008, 02:00:30 PM »

I thought wal-mart was just an option? No use getting worked up over something that's not even confirmed yet!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2008, 02:02:53 PM »

You gotta wonder though if this may be some sort of Compromise Axl has to make. 13 million is a LOT of money anyway u slice it. if the label thinks they can recoup that and turn a profit, it may be a sticking point that Axl can't refuse.

Think about this everyone, me being the voice of reason here, who the hell would've thought:

What does it matter where u buy it as long as u are getting it? This is the album most of us have been waiting almost half of our lives for. I don't give a shit if I have to buy it a some flea market down the road.  As long as the work isn't "compromised" in anyway to be available at Walmart. I won't complain any.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2008, 02:04:27 PM »

You gotta wonder though if this may be some sort of Compromise Axl has to make. 13 million is a LOT of money anyway u slice it. if the label thinks they can recoup that and turn a profit, it may be a sticking point that Axl can't refuse.

Think about this everyone, me being the voice of reason here, who the hell would've thought:

What does it matter where u buy it as long as u are getting it? This is the album most of us have been waiting almost half of our lives for. I don't give a shit if I have to buy it a some flea market down the road.  As long as the work isn't "compromised" in anyway to be available at Walmart. I won't complain any.

Has Axl ever comprimised his vision or his art? I think not, that's why it took so long. For all we know this could be non-issue anyway and it could go to Best Buy.

14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2008, 02:05:46 PM »

Would love to know who the author's sources are.  At least it is published for a reputable mag/website.  Definitely a positive sign that the wheels are moving (so long as the source isn't some loser tellin lies on a message board!)

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2008, 02:06:18 PM »

I thought wal-mart was just an option? No use getting worked up over something that's not even confirmed yet!

Exactly.

Hahaha.

All this time it's been "we want the album" and now suddenly when there's possible news of it being out it's gone from that to "well, I'm not gonna buy it at all if it's sold there!".

Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Farid Bak
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2008, 02:12:42 PM »

Now this is great news.

Here Today..
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2008, 02:22:04 PM »

If its a walmart Exclusive, that means they can't even release singles on Itunes right? that of course has worked out great for Kid Rock.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
wadey
Legend

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2008, 02:30:06 PM »

Quoted For Truth.

Smiley

i bet you do!!!!...   Wink

at least we can now conclude all the mixing, producing and all the other fucking around is done and dusted, they just have to release it now
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:34:40 PM by wadey9 » Logged

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2008, 02:34:33 PM »

I think this is great news, if true, it means things are really moving along. ok

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
The_Wretched
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2008, 02:55:29 PM »

.... the eagles have like the highest selling album of all time, not a chance they would sell low numbers. also walmart doesn't sell albums with the Parental Advisory sticker...

chances of Axl not cursing in a record are as good as hillary clinton being elected president. it ain't gonna happen. if it happens it will be best buy. don't know how smart of a marketing move it is... but i don't care. as long as i have my copies.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2008, 02:57:13 PM »

I'll buy it from Wal-Mart, but I'm really hoping it's a Best Buy exclusive.

Wal-Mart are as corrupt and evil as it gets.

As for swearing in the songs, IRS has the word "shit" in it, and Madagascar has "this whole thing is fucked up."

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2008, 03:00:01 PM »

You can't read anything into it yet....because nothing is confirmed...However I do remember back in 1991 when the "Illusions" were realeasd were the "parental advisory" sticker, one of the things that Axl seemed most upset about was that chains like wal-mart and k-mart were not able to carry the record.  He had mentioned that growing up his family only shopped at places like wal-mart because everything there was a little cheaper, and he didnt come from lots of money.  He was upset in 1991 that kids who come from families that arent so well off were not going to get the opportunity to buy the record. So for "Chinese Democracy" to be made a "wal-mart" exclusive would make sense because it is giving everybody the opportunity to buy the record at an affordable price...

once again the retail exclusive thing is still in the SPECULATION phase.....but that is just one way you can look at it....

EDIT: actually found the thing about wal-mart back in 1991...it was on this site.. hihi

HP: It?s hard to believe that Mrs. Vice President has actually had an impact on Guns N? Roses.

AXL: Her efforts really hurt our sales in the States. The whole stickering thing took its effect because major record chains like K-Mart and Walmart, which are 50 percent of a band?s sales, won?t even carry our albums. You?ve got to realize that certain income families don?t let their kids shop just anywhere. When I was growing up, we were a K-Mart family, so I speak from experience. You could look wherever you wanted, but you bought things at K-Mart because it?s a little cheaper. I think the fact that Tipper Gore is closer to power is something that we?ll have to deal with. I think the Gores toned down their act in order to get the vote, but I haven?t forgotten what she?s done. She did achieve her goal ? first albums had to be stickered, then stores wouldn?t carry stickered albums.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:02:31 PM by Shadows7XXX » Logged
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2008, 03:00:40 PM »

I wonder how many people with "ethics" issues about Wal-Mart have illegally downloaded the leaks.

Besides the obvious "ethics" contradiction, you are the sole reason the music industry have had no choice but to come up with creative sources of revenue such as exclusive retailers and video game releases.

Treating your employees like garbage, and not allowing them to have a union is bit worse than downloading a song Roll Eyes

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »

Wall Mart Exclsive?? Didn't know people actually do that. Sounds like something that is potentially a good  business solution and just   terrible thing to do PR-wise.
Surely most GNR fans dont give a fuck to one way or another about distribution channels when/if a day arrives when you can actually buy it:D

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2008, 03:13:56 PM »

Treating your employees like garbage, and not allowing them to have a union is bit worse than downloading a song Roll Eyes

In my home town, after the commercial fishery shut down, Walmat became the biggest employer. Everybody in my hometown is very grateful for Walmat and the jobs they provide.

You are being pretentious and sophomoric.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:24:24 PM by Oh My Choking Soul » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: