Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:03:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?  (Read 80920 times)
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #340 on: August 23, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »

i just herd on 94.1 wysp in philly radio said.that wal-mart was getting cd.i dunno how sure they are but it's getting closer n' closer '

Well, Irving Azoff did negotiate the deal to sell the Eagles last album exclusively at Walmart.

While I hope the lyrical content isn't compromised if Chinese Democracy goes to Walmart, it makes sense on a business level. Walmart is THE retail monster, everyone shops there. Everyone.

NOT ME, NEVER!  Nothing I need there. BUT, i would be first in line if the album showed up there Smiley
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #341 on: August 23, 2008, 10:59:58 AM »

Walmart is THE retail monster, everyone shops there. Everyone.

NOT ME, NEVER!  Nothing I need there. BUT, i would be first in line if the album showed up there Smiley

all the more reason for walmart to try to get this record. hihi
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #342 on: August 23, 2008, 11:16:44 AM »

anybody knows how much walmart paid to get ac/dcs new album? i guess they'll pay more for CD, how much can it be? couple of millions?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #343 on: August 23, 2008, 12:21:47 PM »

I wanna say they paid 3 million for it, but don't quote me on that.  Staind was on The Howard Stern Show this week and they brought it up.  I thought that was the figure they gave.

This link was posted earlier in this thread.  Unfortunately it has some annoying audio playing over the clip of the interview, but you can download it if you'd like.  Basically Staind said that Wal-Mart BOUGHT 3 million copies of AC/DC's new album, so I assume that cost them more than 3 million dollars.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/1728382179876bb8/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 12:29:01 PM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
AxlNow
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #344 on: August 23, 2008, 01:21:14 PM »

I wanna say they paid 3 million for it, but don't quote me on that.  Staind was on The Howard Stern Show this week and they brought it up.  I thought that was the figure they gave.

This link was posted earlier in this thread.  Unfortunately it has some annoying audio playing over the clip of the interview, but you can download it if you'd like.  Basically Staind said that Wal-Mart BOUGHT 3 million copies of AC/DC's new album, so I assume that cost them more than 3 million dollars.

I posted that clip, but there is no annoying audio playing over the clip of the interview. Anybody else getting annoying audio over the interview clip? I'm not. Sounds fine to me.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #345 on: August 23, 2008, 01:44:51 PM »

I posted that clip, but there is no annoying audio playing over the clip of the interview. Anybody else getting annoying audio over the interview clip? I'm not. Sounds fine to me.

Yeah it seems fine now.  For some reason some advertisement was running over it last time I clicked on it.  I couldn't figure out where it was coming from, I didn't have any other pages opened up.  It lasted for like 10 minutes.  It's clear now though, thanks for posting.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #346 on: August 24, 2008, 03:35:09 AM »

I love how people are bashing on the music of today because they don't like it. Piss and vinegar in the blood is not all it takes to make it big. It takes talent. Although the music scene is over-saturated with cookie cutter garbage, if you look closely there are numerous bands that are doing something unique and playing with amazing talent. The music scene has changed. What sells is what's fun. What was fun in the 80's and 90's aren't fun in this day and age anymore. Which is why even the new GnR songs have a beat you can dance to and not just bang your head to. What makes us human and separates us from animals is our ability to use tools. Technology is advancing more and more every day and it's only advancement to be using these instruments available to us to make better sounding, better quality music. I loved all the 80's metal stuff as I was growing up and it's in my blood in such a way that I'll still get excited and sing along enthusiastically when I hear those old songs, no matter HOW corny they are.
I agree that record sales suck because one or two good songs does not encourage someone to buy a whole album, nor does a song, no matter how good a beat it has, can be said it's good if some bitch repeats the word "umbrella" a bunch of times. But there's nothing wrong with exploring new grounds to make better music.
If you don't want to play bars and clubs anymore, do something new that hasn't been played out 20 fucking years ago. Even our dear uncle Axl changed the sound of his band because he's got the foresight to see that the sounds of 20 years ago aren't going to cut it in this day and age.
[/rant off]

Now back on the topic at hand: I think those who brought up the point that an "exclusivity" deal with a certain retailer may just mean that there's a different version of it at that store might be on to something. I'm not a fan of wal-mart but be that as it may, my scale tips more toward being a fan of GnR than it does toward my dislike of wal-mart. Whatever store it may be, wal-mart, best buy, fye, starbucks, papa johns pizzaria, it doesn't matter. I know i'll be there at the store's parking lot sitting in my car waiting for the place to open, granted there isn't a line already formed in front of it. I think the people at the GnR camp know what they're doing as far as promotions go. They've already got a buzz building with GnR tunes in movie previews and video games. Nothing's even confirmed yet and already we have radio stations and rolling stones and gamers everywhere talking about it. That's gotta say something about the PR people and you have to give credit where credit's due. It's not just coincidence.

So far there have been nothing but good news... except for the fact that I still can't find a liquor that mixes well with Dr. Pepper  Angry

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #347 on: August 24, 2008, 03:47:34 AM »

That's a bold (and idiotic, and ignorant, IMO) claim that Howard Stern made about "the art of the album has been lost." Muse's Black Holes and Revelations album, released in 2006 was a masterpiece of an album that would take you on a journey from beginning to end with sounds so rich and overwhelming, yet at the surface so simple. But it's only 3 (extremely talented) guys that are good enough musicians that no matter what sounds they make on album (through "polish" and "overproducing" and all that nonsense people bitch about) they do live.

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
AxlNow
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #348 on: August 24, 2008, 10:33:07 PM »

That's a bold (and idiotic, and ignorant, IMO) claim that Howard Stern made about "the art of the album has been lost." Muse's Black Holes and Revelations album, released in 2006 was a masterpiece of an album that would take you on a journey from beginning to end with sounds so rich and overwhelming, yet at the surface so simple. But it's only 3 (extremely talented) guys that are good enough musicians that no matter what sounds they make on album (through "polish" and "overproducing" and all that nonsense people bitch about) they do live.

There  is nothing idiotic about Howards opinion. He feels that the passion in todays music is gone. The marketing of new music is definitely gone when compared to the past. Lots of people feel the same way. Chances are that he never even heard of that album you are talking about. I never heard of it either.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 10:34:42 PM by AxlNow » Logged
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #349 on: August 24, 2008, 11:02:41 PM »

I love how people are bashing on the music of today because they don't like it. Piss and vinegar in the blood is not all it takes to make it big. It takes talent. Although the music scene is over-saturated with cookie cutter garbage, if you look closely there are numerous bands that are doing something unique and playing with amazing talent. The music scene has changed. What sells is what's fun. What was fun in the 80's and 90's aren't fun in this day and age anymore. Which is why even the new GnR songs have a beat you can dance to and not just bang your head to. What makes us human and separates us from animals is our ability to use tools. Technology is advancing more and more every day and it's only advancement to be using these instruments available to us to make better sounding, better quality music. I loved all the 80's metal stuff as I was growing up and it's in my blood in such a way that I'll still get excited and sing along enthusiastically when I hear those old songs, no matter HOW corny they are.
I agree that record sales suck because one or two good songs does not encourage someone to buy a whole album, nor does a song, no matter how good a beat it has, can be said it's good if some bitch repeats the word "umbrella" a bunch of times. But there's nothing wrong with exploring new grounds to make better music.
If you don't want to play bars and clubs anymore, do something new that hasn't been played out 20 fucking years ago. Even our dear uncle Axl changed the sound of his band because he's got the foresight to see that the sounds of 20 years ago aren't going to cut it in this day and age.
[/rant off]

Now back on the topic at hand: I think those who brought up the point that an "exclusivity" deal with a certain retailer may just mean that there's a different version of it at that store might be on to something. I'm not a fan of wal-mart but be that as it may, my scale tips more toward being a fan of GnR than it does toward my dislike of wal-mart. Whatever store it may be, wal-mart, best buy, fye, starbucks, papa johns pizzaria, it doesn't matter. I know i'll be there at the store's parking lot sitting in my car waiting for the place to open, granted there isn't a line already formed in front of it. I think the people at the GnR camp know what they're doing as far as promotions go. They've already got a buzz building with GnR tunes in movie previews and video games. Nothing's even confirmed yet and already we have radio stations and rolling stones and gamers everywhere talking about it. That's gotta say something about the PR people and you have to give credit where credit's due. It's not just coincidence.

So far there have been nothing but good news... except for the fact that I still can't find a liquor that mixes well with Dr. Pepper  Angry

I agree somewhat, but try jack daniels with that Dr Pepper its good.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #350 on: August 24, 2008, 11:11:57 PM »

So has anyone tried to contact Wal-Mart or Best Buy recently?  Meaning the higher-ups and not just the retail workers....?
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #351 on: August 25, 2008, 02:30:13 AM »

I really hope Wal-Mart doesn't get CD exclusively... the album would be completely edited because EVERY album at Wal-Mart is edited. That is just company policy and they wouldn't make an exception for any band or artist.

I'm calling it now... Wal-Mart WILL NOT be getting this album exclusively. Why would Axl only release an edited version of an album he's been working on for years?? That would be so fucking stupid.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
ben9785
« Reply #352 on: August 25, 2008, 02:41:05 AM »

So has anyone tried to contact Wal-Mart or Best Buy recently?  Meaning the higher-ups and not just the retail workers....?

Don't be so inviting with such a suggestion bud hehe, believe me this kind of thing has been done before and usually it ends up with legal problems because of sharing confidential information or posting recordings of the phone call etc
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #353 on: August 25, 2008, 03:47:36 AM »

Au contraire, mon fr?re
I think Retail workers would be a perfect way to start our investigations on the matter.
 It would be great if U.S-habiting gunners could initiate scouting trips to local wall marts and, ya now, snoop around a bit. Some " Casual" chats with local retail workers of varying ethnic bacgrounds  in the shadow of mega sized Corn Flakes containers. Someone MUST know something......    ... .
Just remember to set up a wire in your sweatpants if you decide to do it.

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #354 on: August 25, 2008, 04:33:29 AM »

I really hope Wal-Mart doesn't get CD exclusively... the album would be completely edited because EVERY album at Wal-Mart is edited. That is just company policy and they wouldn't make an exception for any band or artist.

I'm calling it now... Wal-Mart WILL NOT be getting this album exclusively. Why would Axl only release an edited version of an album he's been working on for years?? That would be so fucking stupid.

EVERY album is edited?   So if I buy Beethoven's 5th, it'll be edited?

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #355 on: August 25, 2008, 04:43:16 AM »

EVERY album is edited?   So if I buy Beethoven's 5th, it'll be edited?
If there is Fistfuck somewhere in there between Allegro and Andante con moto, then you bet it is.

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #356 on: August 25, 2008, 08:37:35 AM »

While its possible an edited version of CD may be produced, there is no way in hell that Axl would allow that to be the only version available.  Axl is obviously very protective of his art and we will hear it as it was intended, so stop worrying about how WalMart will chop it up.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #357 on: August 25, 2008, 09:08:41 AM »

[/rant off]

It's kind of hard to do something about it when the current status que is what is left from the "Zero Generation" Technology is great......but you need something great for the technology to record. Axl really didn't change much. He's just exploring. Music of today is lacking magic. Period. You can say what ever you like. You can get on that band wagon and follow the "Blind Hero of all Zeros" but that is not going to improve the cutting edge of writing great music. Great music comes from rebellion furiously against the current waves. Most musicians these days are on the band wagon of just being in a group for the groupies and a few bucks...(nothing wrong with that) ....but that is all they are going to receive. And I'm not the only one who feels this way. Their are many, many, people who feel this way but we are kind of remaining silent because we feel deeply sorry for the "Zero Population".......(and please don't take offense at what I just wrote. It's not directed at you. It's more directed at the people who are running the show and what is allowed and what is being not tolerated. Sort of like order in the Court. Well if you rock & rollers want great music to come back they CANNOT BE ORDER in the entertainment field. And untiil than don't expect any ground breaking music.......it's not going to happen. And this has nothing to do with generations becoming attached to their music when they were growing up. : )
Allman
The Flying Dutchman
Rocker

Rock N' Roll Jesus

« Reply #358 on: August 27, 2008, 05:17:09 PM »

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003843477

Last paragraph:

"Chinese Democracy" has been in the works for more than a decade, with frontman Axl Rose the only remaining original member of the once mighty group. Rumblings that the album may finally be out this fall, possibly as a Best Buy exclusive, have not been confirmed by Guns N' Roses or its management.

Did management tip off Billboard that Best Buy is the front-runner?

Elvis has left the building
Thank you and goodnight
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #359 on: August 28, 2008, 12:25:05 PM »

Interesting, relevant article.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121987440206377643.html?mod=hps_us_at_glance_technology

See excerpt:

Irving Azoff, the manager of numerous high-profile acts including the Eagles, says that a few years ago he presented the band with a financial analysis showing that their royalties to date from iTunes sales were far lower than anyone expected.

Guitarist Glenn Frey did some back-of-the-envelope math of his own. "His comment was that it amounted to 39 minutes on stage in Kansas City," Mr. Azoff recalls with a chuckle.

Though Mr. Azoff didn't disclose the royalty figure, Mr. Frey's off-the-cuff analysis implies the band had received less than $500,000 from its iTunes sales at that point. The band's iTunes income has increased since then, Mr. Azoff adds. Nonetheless, he says: "I'm underwhelmed by the number of sales I see on iTunes for the classic bands."

That sentiment was a factor in the Eagles' decision to sell their latest album, "Long Road Out of Eden," only through Wal-Mart.

Before Apple launched the service in 2003, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs appealed personally to Mr. Azoff for the band's participation, telling the manager that he couldn't imagine launching a music store without his favorite rock group.

Shunning iTunes carries risks for the labels. Not only is it the biggest force in music sales, but keeping songs off the service could prompt listeners to look for illegal downloads instead. In addition, customers have demonstrated a clear preference for buying singles instead of entire albums. Only in a few cases have record labels been able to boost album sales over those of individual songs.

"This is a last gasp for the album format," says Aram Sinnreich, a media professor at New York University, who says most albums have only one or two good songs surrounded by little more than "filler material."

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: