Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:32:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Blogger arrested, accused of posting 9 unreleased Guns N' Roses songs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blogger arrested, accused of posting 9 unreleased Guns N' Roses songs  (Read 176664 times)
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 02:18:37 PM »

Kevin Cogill, 27, is accused of posting the songs, which were being prepared for commercial release

Gee, wonder why the record company would be interested in that?

/jarmo

Exactly think about the history between 2006 and 2008 of GnR leaks.  Better, IRS,ect got leaked so those songs are played on tour 2006-07, now the whole Harley ad thing im not sure what happend there but that was premature.  Then all these songs that leaked in the last 2 months have been somewhat troubling.

A. When songs leak and they get handed over to radio DJ's who play it.  It spoils the promotion the timing, the release and more importantly it takes away from the anticipation and ruins it for the fans thinking that hey its being played on the radio its the offical release !!! WRONG

B. If Im working on a project and I've worked hard on it for years and its in the early stages and it gets stolen and released to the people ITS WRONG because GUESS WHAT !!! im not finished with the project and Im not ready for it to be out in the public.

C. This record is gonna be the biggest to come out in along time and alot of money was put into it, but no way is some blogger who leaked songs go ruin it for Guns N' Roses and Universal.  Its there time and money and it needs to be released properly and hopefully it will be released here quickly regardless of the leaks.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
thereisnodanaonlyz
Headliner

Mad Scientist

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 02:33:21 PM »

i thought we couldnt say LEAK here.. but is cool
i dont know what to say.. the only thing i know this is gonna be bad for GNR..
worst than the leaking.. this could become something like metallica vs napster thing
and axl attracts the media bashing..
so be ready people..

Bad PR doesn't exist > media attention for free !
(Did it harm Metallica ....?)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I got the feeling that the whole "fuck Metallica!"/Napster thing was something people realized, albeit later, that they were WAY wrong to feel.  Let me be clearer: Most of the people who were anti-Metallica during 2001/2ish because of the band's stance against Napster, realized within the last 2 years just WHY Metallica was so passionate about protecting their music from filesharing; because of how deadly it is for the music industry.  With that said, we've got these brainless neanderthals on other forums saying "Fuck Axl for this!" yet, they fail to realize that it's not Axl making these litigious moves, it's Universal.  Hell, even if it WAS Axl, personally, then good for him.  I just really, really can't believe some people call themselves Guns N' Roses fans but openly praise these musical terrorists (leakers) who celebrate in ruining a proper buildup and release of an album. 

Rapture
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 02:51:05 PM »

This guy may deserve it but it isn't like he is the only guilty one. Somebody had to give the guy the leaks and I think we all know who.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 02:53:23 PM »

Wow, now he's been called a terrorist even.

This is the internet era, get used to it. Anyone who sues teh internetz always failed. Lars has spoken publicly saying he regretted his stance against Napster. Because it did hurt the image of Metallica, people to this day still ridicule them for that.

GnR is next I'm afraid. Bad PR move.

This signature is very funny.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 02:53:33 PM »

Who cares at this point?  Why wasn't he arrested 2 months ago?  There have been 2 songs leaks and several versions of many of them and they all didn't come from this guy.  
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 02:57:22 PM »

The label never seemed to be so concerned about cd material leaks before.
Guess the negotiations have been concluded, more or less.

This guy may deserve it but it isn't like he is the only guilty one. Somebody had to give the guy the leaks and I think we all know who.

I don't  Huh
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »

1. I know Axl is not in charge of the arrests is Universal
2. I dont encourage leaks
3. The guy deserve it because he did something stupid

The only thing is that this is gonna be blown off proportions and media will portrait axl as the bad guy as usual

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 03:02:39 PM »

I don't  Huh
leaks come from someone very close to axl
even the band didnt have them (BBF said it)
maybe is not that want them to leak but people make mistakes

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 03:04:54 PM »

The only thing is that this is gonna be blown off proportions and media will portrait axl as the bad guy as usual

They would do it no matter what.

You can't just sit and watch others steal your property and do nothing about it.

The record is coming out, it's important that nothing goes wrong at this point.

If this stops or decreases the number of future leaks, it's a great thing.

For fuck's sake. Do you really believe everything you read?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 03:05:26 PM »

I don't  Huh
leaks come from someone very close to axl
even the band didnt have them (BBF said it)
maybe is not that want them to leak but people make mistakes

Oh give me a fucking break. You only think it came from Fernando (and lets throw it all out here instead of making veiled references) because you're precious MSL said it was him to get more attention for himself.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 03:17:27 PM »

Its unfortunate that this guy got arrested but he had to know what he was doing is wrong.  On the other had this whole story makes me believe the album is coming out this year and for it to be a big christmas release universal had to do this.  Its very quiet and I expect a annoucement in sept.  I feel bad for Fernando, cause of some idiot trying to make himself bigger than this whole record itself and being disrespectful to the band's family and friends. 

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 03:24:12 PM »

Just saw somewhere else that Metal Sludge did the same thing last year...they posted 3 leaks on their site and literally said steal it...and after they got a notice from GnR, they pulled it. They did the exact same thing as Kevin.

So why no arrest there, but here? Because this is just 1 guy who has no influence in the scene but Metal Sludge does?

What about Eddie Trunk? He did simlar things....

This all smells bad.

This signature is very funny.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 03:26:05 PM »

Just saw somewhere else that Metal Sludge did the same thing last year...they posted 3 leaks on their site and literally said steal it...and after they got a notice from GnR, they pulled it. They did the exact same thing as Kevin.

So why no arrest there, but here? Because this is just 1 guy who has no influence in the scene but Metal Sludge does?

What about Eddie Trunk? He did simlar things....

This all smells bad.

The difference is the album is DONE. The leaks were probably FINISHED songs. That's the difference.  Roll Eyes
Bucketofguns
Rocker

Proud down loading motherfucker

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2008, 03:27:16 PM »

I agree it is illegal to sell the leaked songs.  But livestreaming is not selling it nor is it giving the music away.  It is broadcasting the music.

Eddie Trunk was never arrested for playing IRS a few years a go, why should this blogger be any different?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2008, 03:28:55 PM »

So you're saying every robbery or theft are the same?

Obviously the record company doesn't agree with you.

This all smells bad.

Like most of your posts.....

I agree it is illegal to sell the leaked songs.  But livestreaming is not selling it nor is it giving the music away.  It is broadcasting the music.

Eddie Trunk was never arrested for playing IRS a few years a go, why should this blogger be any different?

Different scenarios.

He played ONE song.

This guy put up NINE songs on his site. He didn't play one songs once. He put nine songs on his site.

Nine songs that weren't his property. Nine songs from an album that's coming out.

If you can't see the difference, then I feel sorry for you.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:30:54 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2008, 03:30:54 PM »

Did he profit off GNR?  No.  Did GNR lose money because of him?  No.  Did GNR get free pub because of him?  Yes.  They way I see it, the record company owes this guy money for marketing.  Seriously who cares, his leaks won't do anything but help album sales.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2008, 03:31:25 PM »

This guy deserved to get arrested....Just look at the situation...Since 1994 Axl has gone through years of writing and recording and then some douchebag just decides to basically steal it and give it away for free...how can anyone justify what this guy did?  ESPECIALLY on a Guns N Roses message board....

There is also a huge difference between Lars Urlich physically carrying boxes of files with napsters users names in them into court and the FBI arresting this guy for leaking the GNR songs....so I dont understand the comparison....also if you want to make the agrument that it hurt Metallica...where?!  Metallica sells out every building they walk into and have one of the most anticpated releases coming out in September....so I wouldnt worry about this being bad PR for Guns N Roses....
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2008, 03:32:05 PM »

Who cares at this point?  Why wasn't he arrested 2 months ago?  There have been 2 songs leaks and several versions of many of them and they all didn't come from this guy. 

He would be an easy target....considering he didn't just leak them, he actually procured them (as in "patient zero", I think) and posted/hosted them on his personal web space.

All pretty easy to track and "prove", probably.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2008, 03:32:22 PM »

What the guy did was wrong.  I agree.  Arresting him at this point however is moot.  
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2008, 03:32:32 PM »

Did he profit off GNR?  No.  Did GNR lose money because of him?  No.  Did GNR get free pub because of him?  Yes.  They way I see it, the record company owes this guy money for marketing.  Seriously who cares, his leaks won't do anything but help album sales.

So if I steal your car, and make no profit, it's ok?

If I put a banner on the car saying "Smoking Guns rules!", you basically owe me!

Roll Eyes

I bet his blog got a lot more attention due to him stealing GN'R's music.

What the guy did was wrong.  I agree.  Arresting him at this point however is moot. 

Do you feel the same way about other people who broke the law a while ago?

Do you have some kind of time limit for when people shouldn't be arrested?

/jarmo
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:34:15 PM by jarmo » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 49 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: