Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 13, 2024, 06:06:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228037 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash React to Arrest of Chinese Leaker
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash React to Arrest of Chinese Leaker  (Read 8265 times)
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« on: September 02, 2008, 09:36:03 AM »

We knew things were getting a bit rocky for Kevin "Skwerl" Cogill earlier this week, when it was learned that the FBI had arrested Mr. Cogill following suspicion that the Antiquiet blogger had violated federal copyright law. Cogill had admitted to leaking nine previously unreleased tracks purportedly from Guns N' Roses' perennially eventual Chinese Democracy LP via Antiquiet back in June.

What we didn't know was this: according to the Los Angeles Times, Cogill faces up to three years in prison and $250,000 in fines, seeing as he's now the first California resident to be charged under an anti-piracy law that makes it a felony to distribute a copyrighted work on computer networks before its release. Yikes! Careful where you put that Skeletal Lamping, everybody.

Cogill was released shortly after his Wednesday arrest on $10,000 bond, and was not required to enter a plea at this time. But according to former Guns N' Roses guitarist (and amateur law buff?) Slash, Cogill's potential return to the clink couldn't come soon enough.

"I hope he rots in jail," Slash told the Times. "It's going to affect the sales of the record, and it's not fair. The Internet is what it is, and you have to deal with it accordingly, but I think if someone goes and steals something, it's theft." I only wish he'd suggested they "throw him to the Snakepit."

Axl Rose and company also managed to get out a statement that, though intentionally vague, may bode a little better for Cogill. Said the Guns N' Roses camp, according to the Times: "Presently, though we don't support this guy's actions at that level, our interest is in the original source. We can't comment publicly at this time as the investigation is ongoing."

Ongoing too, as ever, is the wait for a proper release date for Chinese Democracy-- which, it would seem, would alone solve damn near all these problems.

in http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/145087-guns-n-roses-slash-react-to-arrest-of-chinese-leaker

I find it funny and ironic how Slash says that when back in the day he would steal LPs from the record stores...

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:35:04 PM »

If you steal from record stores the artist isnt missing out on money, the store is Tongue
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 01:11:25 PM »

If you steal from record stores the artist isnt missing out on money, the store is Tongue

Yes they are...

Regarding Slash stealing LPs from stores, he probably realises it's wrong now that he himself is an artist putting out music.

(But hoping the guy "rots in jail"? Shocked)

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 01:33:20 PM »

Slash drinks too much

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 01:39:32 PM »

^ last i heard he was going to give it all up

anyway slash stealing one album is peanuts

by thousands downloading the material has a much larger impact...anyway slash was like 12 when he stole shit...this dude skewrl is alot older...anyway you guys prolly all downloaded the material anyway so dont get all high and mighty on who is a theif and stuff Tongue

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 01:55:29 PM »

You think he stopped stealing when he was 12?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 02:03:30 PM »

prolly not...drugs make you do crazy shit sometimes...just saying...stealing a few albums for personal use isnt anythign compared to giving thousands of people a copy of one for free...its not like slash stole the whole inventory and gave it away hihi

anyway its not the same thing IMO

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 02:31:42 PM »

I'm still curious why he seems so concerned about that.
wait...Slash doesn't play on Chinese Democracy, right ? hum

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 02:57:50 PM »

But he got his name in the paper.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 03:07:58 PM »

the jackass here is the reporter asking him about the whole thing when it has nothign to do with slash

i doubt slash just brought it up outta the blue like you guys suggest

y'all should be happy .... hes defending axl

Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 03:11:43 PM »

well... he stole his first tophat too!  Tongue

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 03:13:04 PM »

the jackass here is the reporter asking him about the whole thing when it has nothign to do with slash

True.

Do you think it ever occurred to him to say "no comment"?

hihi

/jarmo

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 03:25:01 PM »

True.

hihi

/jarmo

i wish he would too .... but he wont.... he does like to talk

lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 03:21:03 AM »

We knew things were getting a bit rocky for Kevin "Skwerl" Cogill earlier this week, when it was learned that the FBI had arrested Mr. Cogill following suspicion that the Antiquiet blogger had violated federal copyright law. Cogill had admitted to leaking nine previously unreleased tracks purportedly from Guns N' Roses' perennially eventual Chinese Democracy LP via Antiquiet back in June.

What we didn't know was this: according to the Los Angeles Times, Cogill faces up to three years in prison and $250,000 in fines, seeing as he's now the first California resident to be charged under an anti-piracy law that makes it a felony to distribute a copyrighted work on computer networks before its release. Yikes! Careful where you put that Skeletal Lamping, everybody.

Cogill was released shortly after his Wednesday arrest on $10,000 bond, and was not required to enter a plea at this time. But according to former Guns N' Roses guitarist (and amateur law buff?) Slash, Cogill's potential return to the clink couldn't come soon enough.

"I hope he rots in jail," Slash told the Times. "It's going to affect the sales of the record, and it's not fair. The Internet is what it is, and you have to deal with it accordingly, but I think if someone goes and steals something, it's theft." I only wish he'd suggested they "throw him to the Snakepit."

Axl Rose and company also managed to get out a statement that, though intentionally vague, may bode a little better for Cogill. Said the Guns N' Roses camp, according to the Times: "Presently, though we don't support this guy's actions at that level, our interest is in the original source. We can't comment publicly at this time as the investigation is ongoing."

Ongoing too, as ever, is the wait for a proper release date for Chinese Democracy-- which, it would seem, would alone solve damn near all these problems.

in http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/145087-guns-n-roses-slash-react-to-arrest-of-chinese-leaker

I find it funny and ironic how Slash says that when back in the day he would steal LPs from the record stores...
You think he stopped stealing when he was 12?

/jarmo

/jarmo

well... he stole his first tophat too!  Tongue

True.

hihi

/jarmo

True.

hihi

/jarmo

i wish he would too .... but he wont.... he does like to talk

yeah, yeah, yeah.  I figured, when I first read this, that this would be about the "jist" of it, here. 

What he did at 12 or 18 or 20 is a lot different, as it is for all of us.  I believe he's looking at this, from a musician's standpoint, and what can happen in this day and age, with the freedom of the internet.  Whether it's releasing leaks or downloading music, for free - it robs and steals from the music industry.   His comments had nothing to do with Axl, the potential release of CD, publicity for himself or what he did when he was much younger.   

And for anyone wanting to make negative comments -  think about yourself - any one of us - How many of us have downloaded and listened to those leaks? or many have downloaded music, for free......many of us have been part of that. 
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 06:18:08 AM »

What he did at 12 or 18 or 20 is a lot different, as it is for all of us.  I believe he's looking at this, from a musician's standpoint, and what can happen in this day and age, with the freedom of the internet.  Whether it's releasing leaks or downloading music, for free - it robs and steals from the music industry.   His comments had nothing to do with Axl, the potential release of CD, publicity for himself or what he did when he was much younger.

I gotta agree with lynn1961 here, this is exactly how I see it. It wasn't a "way to get his name on paper" for him, I mean he's Slash, he doesn't need to say anything like this to do it. I think he really is just talking about his point of view as a musician.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 07:29:33 AM »

TBH, Slash commenting on Chinese Democracy leaks probably won't make the front page anyway.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 08:25:29 AM »

/jarmo

or maybe he was just asked about it?

slash can get his name in the newspaper if he passed gas at the local liquor store
kaasupoltin
Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 08:35:48 AM »

TBH, Slash commenting on Chinese Democracy leaks probably won't make the front page anyway.

True. Some people just find these quotes a way to bash him and his sayings.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 11:04:33 AM »

"I think if someone goes and steals something, it's theft" - Slash

It's just ironic....

I'm not talking about what he did as a teenager, that's irrelevant in this case.

What if you steal a guitar from Hard Rock Cafe? Is that theft too?

Obviously he's against theft when it's his top hat that was stolen or when it affects his income.

On another note, doesn't this mean Slash hates GN'R fans?

And the "little guy"?

/jarmo

kaasupoltin
Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 11:16:46 AM »

Now Jarmo, what is your motivation here? You should use that energy to something useful instead of using it to try to make Slash look bad. Tongue
Oh sorry, you're probably just "telling people the truth" or "telling the facts".

Btw. It is ironic, but can you say he's wrong? No? I think so too.

BEEP.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: