Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 02:51:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Where Does 'Shackler's' Fit In...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where Does 'Shackler's' Fit In...  (Read 7430 times)
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 12:20:47 PM »

I saw them twice, but they didn't play IRS either show, so I haven't heard it live. I'm sure they could play OMG better than the version I heard, and i agree about his voice, it seems stronger now, but I think it could easily be lost in those songs live(SR and OMG). His voice is buried even in the final mixes. I wouldn't be upset if they played them live, just wouldn't be on my wish list.
Olorin
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 12:31:18 PM »

If it could be done well, then yes I would like to hear then live. I wasnt that keen on Better until I heard it live, after that I became a fan.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 12:34:04 PM »

I saw them twice, but they didn't play IRS either show, so I haven't heard it live. I'm sure they could play OMG better than the version I heard, and i agree about his voice, it seems stronger now, but I think it could easily be lost in those songs live(SR and OMG). His voice is buried even in the final mixes. I wouldn't be upset if they played them live, just wouldn't be on my wish list.

I have heard a version of "Shackler's Revenge" where his voice is much clearer and the overall mix seems more spaced out and clear.  Less compressed if you will.  I wouldn't say his voice is buried in the mix at all there.  And, I think live the mix may vary from show to show from the audience's perspective.  So it may be more buried one night as opposed to the other. 

I think the song could be played most anywhere in the set, except as an opening.

Ali
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 12:37:02 PM »

I have heard a version of "Shackler's Revenge" where his voice is much clearer and the overall mix seems more spaced out and clear.  Less compressed if you will.  I wouldn't say his voice is buried in the mix at all there.  And, I think live the mix may vary from show to show from the audience's perspective.  So it may be more buried one night as opposed to the other. 

I think the song could be played most anywhere in the set, except as an opening.

Ali

Yeah, could just be the version I have, I've only heard the one. The chorus is pretty clear, but some parts get a bit muddy.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 12:37:40 PM »

I like the wild omg live. energetic and groovy.
and yes cd will be a great opener.
richard said cd was most fun to play. that was before 2006/7 tour tho.

shacklers, I don't know it's a revenge song isn't it? maybe in the middle, after a sad song?

I dont know if i'm too excited or what, but after hearing all the new songs I find the old ones... ?boring?... dont know...

me after hearing cd.  yes the old songs are classic and good but these new songs are amazing and thrilling.

stvyrayvhn
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 01:14:36 PM »

I like Welcome to the Jungle as the opener.  It's a great way to start a show but I guess after seeing the band over and over again I'd get bored...

Just my two cents...
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 01:27:23 PM »

I am not sure Shackler would be an every-night song...certainly not an opener...It will be interesting to see how they pull it off, with all the layered vocals when they do play it.  We will have to wait and see what new material they have to work with...and of course Axl has said he changes things up depending on the crowd...perhaps SR could be a go-to to pump the crowd up, it is hard not to get pulled into that song.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 02:01:29 PM »

I am not sure Shackler would be an every-night song... ..... ...and of course Axl has said he changes things up depending on the crowd...perhaps SR could be a go-to to pump the crowd up, it is hard not to get pulled into that song.
I think SR will be an every-night song.  With this release, the dynamics of the crowd might change drastically.  People who were in their teens or in their 20s when GNR first hit the scene now have kids that age who are being introduced to GNR with this game/song.  SR has become like a new-age "game of catch" that both jock and geek families are bonding over.  So when the band looks into the crowd and sees this, I think they'll feed off that.

I like CD for an opening song.  ok

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 02:11:03 PM »

I am not sure Shackler would be an every-night song... ..... ...and of course Axl has said he changes things up depending on the crowd...perhaps SR could be a go-to to pump the crowd up, it is hard not to get pulled into that song.
I think SR will be an every-night song.  With this release, the dynamics of the crowd might change drastically.  People who were in their teens or in their 20s when GNR first hit the scene now have kids that age who are being introduced to GNR with this game/song.  SR has become like a new-age "game of catch" that both jock and geek families are bonding over.  So when the band looks into the crowd and sees this, I think they'll feed off that.

I like CD for an opening song.  ok

It's pretty strange to think that GNR could end up having 2 completely different fan bases, or I guess they already do to an extent. There are 15 year old that weren't alive the last time they put out an album. Those kids might love the new GNR and think the old stuff sucks, and for us old timers! Sort of reminds me of the Peter Green's version, and the more popular version of Fleetwood Mac. Kind of backwards circumstances, but strange to think about. Makes me feel real old!
wadey
Legend

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 02:14:59 PM »

i rekon its good enough to replace Nightrain for a live gig.........

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!  crying

HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

HELL HELL HELL HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Tongue

Nightrain is the one old song that the new band has basically made their own IMHO (Ron, Richard and Robin tear that song up).

thought i might get that kind of reaction  rofl rofl
of course i didnt mean get shut of nightrain all together..... but i rekon shacklers is on a definate par with nightrain in terms of been a kick ass rocker thats gonna work the crowd into a frenzy.......definately need to be at the barriers when they play it..... maybe play it towards the back end, 3 or 4 before paradise just to work the crowd again after the ballads

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2008, 02:31:27 PM »

shackler for the encore!

CD will be  a future opener i think, but imo its the poorest of the songs we know. I think axl is kinda tied into the chinese democracy thing, and probably wishes he could just drop that tag and that song.

Yeah I wouldn't mind a new album title, and really not overly impressed with the song. I mean, it's a rocker, it ain't bad, but normally when you name the album after the title of a song, it's one of the strongest tracks. Plus I kind of like the fact that GNR hasnt name an album after a song in the past.

I'm not sure SR is a song I need to hear at a show. Axl's voice makes the song, and he couldn't replicate it live. Some songs don't need to be played live. I love the song OMG, but heard a live version and it was dreadful.

Agreed.

OMG should never be played live again.

are you serious? ''Oh My God'' was incredible at RIR, the best performed song by far at that show, and then it was performed just one more time, at HOB 01.01.01 if I'm not wrong.

Oh My God is a killer tune. It even sounds better live. Brain did an amazing job at that song.

You cant say what you said based in just ONE mp3 you've heard. For example, if we have had to judge ''November Rain'' by its first performance, now we would all agree that NR sucks...

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2008, 02:49:01 PM »

I am not sure Shackler would be an every-night song..

it will when the whole house sing along.
Most of us and RB players and their friends are already singing it by heart, I betcha. ok
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2008, 02:52:46 PM »

shackler for the encore!

CD will be  a future opener i think, but imo its the poorest of the songs we know. I think axl is kinda tied into the chinese democracy thing, and probably wishes he could just drop that tag and that song.

Yeah I wouldn't mind a new album title, and really not overly impressed with the song. I mean, it's a rocker, it ain't bad, but normally when you name the album after the title of a song, it's one of the strongest tracks. Plus I kind of like the fact that GNR hasnt name an album after a song in the past.

I'm not sure SR is a song I need to hear at a show. Axl's voice makes the song, and he couldn't replicate it live. Some songs don't need to be played live. I love the song OMG, but heard a live version and it was dreadful.

Agreed.

OMG should never be played live again.

are you serious? ''Oh My God'' was incredible at RIR, the best performed song by far at that show, and then it was performed just one more time, at HOB 01.01.01 if I'm not wrong.

Oh My God is a killer tune. It even sounds better live. Brain did an amazing job at that song.

You cant say what you said based in just ONE mp3 you've heard. For example, if we have had to judge ''November Rain'' by its first performance, now we would all agree that NR sucks...

I did say that I'm sure they could play OMG better than the version I heard. I also said I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they played it live, but it wouldn't be on my wish list. I have the original demo of November rain and it never sounded that bad. OMG is a good song, but it's not on par with November rain. A lot has to go wrong for November rain to sound bad. For instance Axl's voice could be off that night, but Slash and co.(in those days) could save the song. If Axl is off playing OMG, then it's gonna be harder to overcome, because his voice and lyrics drive that song. It may differ from your opinion, but yes, I'm serious.

On a side note, I can hear the guys that work downstairs from me humming Patience...good stuff.
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 02:54:42 PM »

HELL HELL HELL HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Tongue

HELL HELL  HELL HELL HECK  HELL NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:58:39 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
kunzerd
VIP

5/12/06, 5/17/06, 11/10/06, 11/26/11, 2/10/12,

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008, 06:54:25 PM »

I dont know about in a setlist, but if i were to put Chinese Democracy together, my track listing would look something like this:

1. Chinese Democracy
2. Oh My God
3. Better
4. The Blues
5. There Was A Time
6. Rhiad and the Bedouins
7. IRS
8. Catcher in the Rye
9. Prostitute
10. Madagascar
11. Shackler's Revenge
12. If The World

And yeah, i know not all these titles are called official on the album and some of the titles might not even be right, but im sure you guys get the idea here.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
5/12/06 - Hammerstein, NY
5/17/06 - Hammerstein, NY
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/10/12 - Roseland Ballroom, NY
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
Jay Tea
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2008, 07:10:40 PM »

i like it between slower songs. after november rain ,  before madagascar.

albumwise (without hearing any yet-to-surface songs) i say:

1. Chinese Democracy
2. The Blues
3. Better
4. TWAT
5.Shackler's
6. Madagascar

..and so on
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008, 08:27:22 PM »

I say u have to open with it and start doing a power encore of WTTJ and PC.

It would also sound very fucking awesome after Nightrain and before YCBM I agree with that.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2008, 12:50:57 AM »

like fuck no dude don't even say that shit no Angry

btw i say sandwhich it between Silkworms and a new tune  yes

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2008, 04:14:02 AM »

HELL HELL  HELL HELL HECK  HELL NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

ARE YOU FICKING KIDDING ME? THERES NO WAY THEY COULD REPLACE NIGHTRAIN. BEST SONG IN THE SETLIST...

almost forgot...

HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
DuffRock
Rocker

www.cafepress.com/patiencepays

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2008, 06:30:23 AM »

like fuck no dude don't even say that shit no Angry

btw i say sandwhich it between Silkworms and a new tune  yes

yea if they put Silkworms and SR next to each other in the set I can have a decent amount of time to go and get a drink without missing anything

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: