Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 09:45:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Where Does 'Shackler's' Fit In...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where Does 'Shackler's' Fit In...  (Read 7485 times)
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« on: September 18, 2008, 08:13:34 PM »

...in a setlist? I'm not suggesting that it doesn't, rather, between what two songs would YOU sandwich 'Shackler's Revenge?'

I think it would work well after 'Welcome to the Jungle' and perhaps be a good segue into 'You Could Be Mine.' Might even work well straight after 'It's So Easy' too.

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
ben9785
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 08:19:53 PM »

Well it depends on how much the setlist would change in terms of addition of new songs, what old songs they would still play and the running order..

But I'd probably say this would fit maybe 2nd or 3rd in a live setlist.

If "Chinese Democracy" was to become an opener, this would work great as the 2nd song
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 08:31:20 PM »

not sure how well 2 new songs would fit in as set openers.. Is CD still a new song? We've been hearing it since 01/01/01..
ben9785
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 09:08:07 PM »

not sure how well 2 new songs would fit in as set openers.. Is CD still a new song? We've been hearing it since 01/01/01..

I mean after the album comes out. When people really hear the songs as they are meant to be heard. Apart from a few files floating around the internet, most people would have only heard these songs at the live shows for the first time so they haven't really had proper exposure.
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 09:09:38 PM »

I can't see them opening up with anything else BUT 'Chinese Democracy' if/when the album's release and promotional tour are finally realized. Certainly seems like it will be the opening track on the album with that intro, but who knows.

As for the type of setlist, I'm really not speaking of number of songs, new or old, etc...more of what two songs would flow well into and out of 'Shackler's.'

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 09:16:17 PM »

Would be a great opener for the encore
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 10:02:49 PM »

Shackler's Revenge could be the opener perfectly. It's a very aggresive song, incredibly catchy, and it could be inmediatly followed (because of the way it ends, in an abrupt silence) by Chinese Democracy's introduction.

I would love to put into the paper can all those old songs that were always after jungle, I mean ISE, MB, LALD, KOHD and replace them all by the new songs (with the exception of jungle)

Shackler's > Democracy > Rhiad > Better > jungle.

After that begining, if the crowd is still alive, they can go on with some calm old/new ballads.

I dont know if i'm too excited or what, but after hearing all the new songs I find the old ones... ?boring?... dont know...

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
ben9785
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 12:48:30 AM »

Shackler's Revenge could be the opener perfectly. It's a very aggresive song, incredibly catchy, and it could be inmediatly followed (because of the way it ends, in an abrupt silence) by Chinese Democracy's introduction.

I would love to put into the paper can all those old songs that were always after jungle, I mean ISE, MB, LALD, KOHD and replace them all by the new songs (with the exception of jungle)

Shackler's > Democracy > Rhiad > Better > jungle.

After that begining, if the crowd is still alive, they can go on with some calm old/new ballads.

I dont know if i'm too excited or what, but after hearing all the new songs I find the old ones... ?boring?... dont know...

I am the same.
I wouldn't say its boring..but I'm very excited about the new songs and the new band. Been listening to them alot more than older ones though.
I know GNR is ultimately Axl, but with new band members and a new album forthcoming I would hope we get some more recognition towards the new band members, and on tour, we hear more new songs than old songs.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 01:10:55 AM »

SHACKLER'S WOULD GO NICELY AFTER MADAGASCAR, I THINK
GNRFAN20
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 01:21:29 AM »

the middle of the set or during the encore
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 09:21:16 AM »

w/ the deep base vocal in the beggining I would say it's a great way to start the encores..PC is a great closer...
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 09:27:52 AM »

shackler for the encore!

CD will be  a future opener i think, but imo its the poorest of the songs we know. I think axl is kinda tied into the chinese democracy thing, and probably wishes he could just drop that tag and that song.

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
wadey
Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 09:37:51 AM »

i rekon its good enough to replace Nightrain for a live gig.........

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 10:05:55 AM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!  crying

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 10:15:59 AM »

HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 10:23:41 AM »

shackler for the encore!

CD will be  a future opener i think, but imo its the poorest of the songs we know. I think axl is kinda tied into the chinese democracy thing, and probably wishes he could just drop that tag and that song.

Yeah I wouldn't mind a new album title, and really not overly impressed with the song. I mean, it's a rocker, it ain't bad, but normally when you name the album after the title of a song, it's one of the strongest tracks. Plus I kind of like the fact that GNR hasnt name an album after a song in the past.

I'm not sure SR is a song I need to hear at a show. Axl's voice makes the song, and he couldn't replicate it live. Some songs don't need to be played live. I love the song OMG, but heard a live version and it was dreadful.
LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 11:39:38 AM »

shackler for the encore!

Yeah I wouldn't mind a new album title, and really not overly impressed with the song. I mean, it's a rocker, it ain't bad, but normally when you name the album after the title of a song, it's one of the strongest tracks. Plus I kind of like the fact that GNR hasnt name an album after a song in the past.

I'm not sure SR is a song I need to hear at a show. Axl's voice makes the song, and he couldn't replicate it live. Some songs don't need to be played live. I love the song OMG, but heard a live version and it was dreadful.

Agreed.

OMG should never be played live again.

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 12:05:13 PM »

HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

HELL HELL HELL HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Tongue

Nightrain is the one old song that the new band has basically made their own IMHO (Ron, Richard and Robin tear that song up).

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Olorin
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 12:06:36 PM »

If he can make IRS sound badass live,  why not OMG? His voice sounds different now to 2001, he has more fire in his belly. Also Oh My God sounded a bit unprepared when they played it and I agree it didnt sound good.

On my own compilation I have Shacklers after Oh My God, seems to fit ok. Song 5 on my disc peace
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 12:16:42 PM »

Well it depends on how much the setlist would change in terms of addition of new songs, what old songs they would still play and the running order..

But I'd probably say this would fit maybe 2nd or 3rd in a live setlist.

If "Chinese Democracy" was to become an opener, this would work great as the 2nd song

Good call. And for the record I really hope CD does become the opener. That, or they go back to swapping the opening out more often.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: