Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 12:15:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Technical discussion of "Chinese Democracy", the music
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Technical discussion of "Chinese Democracy", the music  (Read 10275 times)
DarkKnight
Headliner

« on: October 25, 2008, 02:17:08 PM »

I just wanted to start a thread for fellow musicians who enjoy the new technical side of the band Guns N' Roses.  The sloppiness of the Appetite days are long gone and for instrumentalists like me, I welcome the craftsmanship the new Guns bring to the single. 

Firstly, have any of you pulled off the solos yet?  I think Buckethead's work is fucking ridiculous, but not too overboard for a rock song.  I'm glad Axl had the balls to pull these guys in, but at the same time keep it rocking.  Not like some Dream Theatre stuff, but a happy medium. 

So... what are your thoughts?  Critiques?  Are any of you having fun learning the new track?   confused
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 02:24:02 PM »

I like the tone and I love the bluesy fills going on throughout the song.  That reminds me of WTTJ.

I think a stripped down version could have rocked a little harder, but I still enjoy it!

The composition of the actual song sounds really basic, but when you add the 20 layers to it, there is a lot going on... But its still based around some chords and not really a true "riff".
mcmurray
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 03:06:31 PM »

This song is in good hands with Buckethead on lead.  A lot of casual rock listeners (not hard core gnr fans) when reviewing the song point out that the guitar work is excellent. 

When the album is released there will be lots to talk about regarding technical discussion, for example the dorian tonality of "there was a time".

And to the OP, in my opinion there will always be "appetite" sloppyness as long as Finck is in the band.  He does have his good days though.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 03:11:27 PM by mcmurray » Logged
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 03:14:53 PM »

it really kind of reminds me of a modern "it's so easy"

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 03:22:38 PM »

The technical side is relatively straightforward to me : it sounds great and I'm overjoyed with the finished song.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
Black Betty
Headliner

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 03:40:06 PM »

I think its amazing how they took a basic 4 chord song and made it into a sophisticated unique collage of styles. The production forces the listener to listen over and over with its intoxicating draw and increasing tension. I truly think its brilliant how all the blues and shred fills work beautifully together as a sonic arsenal to the senses, like nothing i've ever heard before. With all these instruments coming at the listener, the track never allows the listener a chance to exhale until the final bomb drops on the last hit. The record is going to blow our minds. Whoever said "its all been done" has not heard this record yet.
DarkKnight
Headliner

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »

I never believed the "it's all been done" theory.  Guitars, drums and basses have been around for centuries.  If anything, we've only scratched the surface. 
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 05:24:15 PM »

Considering how far the song has come since its 01-01-01 debut, it's barely the same thing. The repeated working / reworking of the track has ensured that it breaks the traditional cycle of verse / chorus / verse : each section of the song, whilst superficially the same, is different with unique fills and riffs in each bar. I love the killswitch interplay between Bucket's solo - which honestly sound like no other player in mainstream rock - and Bumbles in-verse slides. This album will conquer the world if GNR keep up the momentum of tour / record / tour / DVD / blanket press attack over the next few years.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
Judas
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 05:54:03 PM »

Chinese Democracy is a phenomenal song. First time you hear it I can kind of understand a flippant remark like "its only okay" or "14 years for this!". But once you hear it 4 or 5 times and you hear a different song each time you start to think "holy crap" i have never ever heard music like this.

I've never anticipated an album so much in my life, and i know it will be fantastic. I need to hear the final mix of Madagascar...  drool

what this means to me is more than i know you believe...

http://www.gnr.co.uk
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 05:58:02 PM »

the song and music itself is pretty damn easy. i can play the song. i haven't worked on the solo yet... basically cuz i don't really have the effects for it. my set-up isn't geared towards that type of sound.

CD the song... is faily simple and any guitarist can nail it... atleast the rhythm sections.

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 06:00:56 PM »

I enjoy bucket's solos and Ron's fills throughout the verses. They are phenomenal.

I always thought Robin was better suited as a rhythm guitarist and Bucket and Ron are amazing lead players.

I haven't really been able to make anyhing out of the bass yet.....

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 06:01:42 PM »

anyone CAN play it
but hardly anyone CAN write it.

it's like reading.
everyone can read.
but not everyone can write a classic.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 06:04:43 PM »

anyone CAN play it
but hardly anyone CAN write it.

it's like reading.
everyone can read.
but not everyone can write a classic.

Agree

People really underestimate the genius it takes to write "A" song, nevertheless an all time classic.

Thats why i always laugh at people who take a guitar player and treat them like its no big deal that they wrote this and this. As if anybody can walk in and do it.

If you want to know why it took so long to do CD, its because Axl had to find the right guys. U just cant audition a bunch of random dudes and make a classic.

Axl, got it right with this lineup though.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 06:23:44 PM »

the song and music itself is pretty damn easy. i can play the song. i haven't worked on the solo yet... basically cuz i don't really have the effects for it. my set-up isn't geared towards that type of sound.

CD the song... is faily simple and any guitarist can nail it... atleast the rhythm sections.
lol, no way. Not the solo, the outro and the fretless rhythm at least. I even think that the rhythm is harder, because it's played on a fretless guitar.
But... are we talking about the song or the record? Because I think we can discuss Shackler's Revenge as well.
Btw Robin Finck plays the first part of the solo. Buckethead didn't play it alone, he never did. Oh, and Finck's part is cooler imo - I like it more. Smiley

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
divoz
Opening Act

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 07:38:39 PM »

God im glad to find people that think like i do about this. I absolutely love the new GN'R sound. They aren't stuck in the mid-80's like hmmm some other bands.....
final_touches
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 08:05:41 PM »

The production of the song is really great. The song itself is no masterpiece, but with the rythm added by BBF the song is quite good.
final_touches
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 08:09:06 PM »

Chinese Democracy is a phenomenal song. First time you hear it I can kind of understand a flippant remark like "its only okay" or "14 years for this!". But once you hear it 4 or 5 times and you hear a different song each time you start to think "holy crap" i have never ever heard music like this.

I've never anticipated an album so much in my life, and i know it will be fantastic. I need to hear the final mix of Madagascar...  drool

The problem is just that the casual listener, who is not a long time GNR fan, would probably only listen to the song once and if he doesn't like it right from the start won't give it a 2nd, 3rd or 4th listen.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 08:10:39 PM »

The problem is just that the casual listener, who is not a long time GNR fan, would probably only listen to the song once and if he doesn't like it right from the start won't give it a 2nd, 3rd or 4th listen.

but if it's played on the radio reguarly then they'll listen.. so just keep on requesting it!
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 10:04:41 PM »

I mentioned this years ago but got shot down quickly.  I'v allways wondered if Axl wanted to wait for advances in recording technology to get a bigger and better sound?
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 02:51:57 AM »

i do kinda wish CHI-DEM was more laid back like at RIR 3!!
Bumblefoot's fretless annoys me a lil on the verses, it drowns out Richard n' i dig'd the old drum beat, but thats my fault for listenin' to demo's.......but im still VERY happy!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: