Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 01:41:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Madagascar thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Madagascar thread  (Read 24230 times)
The Hinge
Headliner

Here Today...and every bloody day

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 05:45:33 PM »

His voice is too raspy on this track. I prefered the cleaner tone of the live versions

'Most organized religions make a mockery of humanity'
Olorin
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 06:15:04 PM »

I listened to this song straight after listening to Breakdown on UYI 2, and the difference in raspy vocal styles was minimal.

Get over what you hoped it would be and just accept what it is now. Its a wonderfully emotional and moving song, Axl is in the moment and for all we know he could have been feeling particuarly chocked up and emotional when he recorded this and decided, for the integrity of the song, that take was the one to keep.
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 06:34:20 PM »

Get over what you hoped it would be and just accept what it is now.

lol  You can't order people to like something...
mrarkadin
Headliner

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 06:36:11 PM »

I didn't like the vocals at first either as a big fan of the old live versions. Second listen I think they work beautifully. Just have to accept he changed the emphasis after 01.
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 06:36:56 PM »

He was only singing it the way he did in RIR 3 because his voice was out of practice and weak lol

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
Olorin
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 06:49:47 PM »

Get over what you hoped it would be and just accept what it is now.

lol  You can't order people to like something...

If they dont like it for what it is then fine. If they dont like it because they wish it was something they had imagined it would be, then thats different.

My favorite performance was RIR3, but I have to accept on the final cut those vocals were the ones chosen.

I cant dislike this song because a few old live shows were different, I could only do that if this version was truly pathetic, and its not, its still very powerful
Mechanical-Worm
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 07:40:37 PM »

Probably my favorite track from the whole entire cd. I've loved it since I first heard it a long time ago, it still hasn't lost its hook to me. There's only one gripe from me about it - the vocals. I like the rasp and hoarse voice but it doesn't quite fit as well as it did live (yes I know live is always much more different).

Anyways, a fine point in the album for me.

Cool
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 10:54:20 AM »

Here's another vocal performance I don't understand. Maybe the worn down sound is intentional? With all the superb vocals found elsewhere on the album, that's all I'm left to assume. This, like "If The World" is one I find most different from what a casual GN'R fan would expect. It's a welcome change though. The sample section in the middle is very inventive and a nice layer over the solo. I could do without all the vocal layers from the middle on. The vocal performance and layering force a lower score for an other wise great song.
3.5/5

I agree. I can't stand his voice in the beginning. I'd actually rather listen to the 2002 Soundboard versions of it live. But it's still a great song. One of their best.
waxlrick
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 05:56:09 PM »

His voice is too raspy on this track. I prefered the cleaner tone of the live versions
/quote]

Me too. He sang it with clean pipes in 2001 & 2002 and it just made the song that bit better.

I still love it though. One of my favorites and will always be
badapple81
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 06:00:38 PM »

I'm a massive fan of the song and the lyrics. However this and Street of Dreams just seems like the vocals aren't quite right/finished.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 08:30:48 PM »

Maybe my favorite song still

I mean once u factor in I've been listening for 7 years and I STILL LOVE IT just as much as the first time.

This next to This I Love is the best ballad on the album.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 08:32:12 PM »

Im still surprised that Buckethead is the only one playing solo bits on the studio version.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 01:52:56 AM »

ohh  nervous, since i heard this song in 2002 i was really impressed, i love the song, i dont have the cd yet, and im waiting to have it to heard the songs (not myspace for me), im a little bit nervous by why you guys are saying, it looks like the live ones sound better than the album version.
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 04:15:23 AM »

ohh  nervous, since i heard this song in 2002 i was really impressed, i love the song, i dont have the cd yet, and im waiting to have it to heard the songs (not myspace for me), im a little bit nervous by why you guys are saying, it looks like the live ones sound better than the album version.

it just depends,
everyone has different preference as to Axls vocals on this song,
the 2006/-7 live performances sound most like the studio version (not suprising)
with the deep raspy slower vocals,

but if you prefer the 01/02/RIR3 vocals, with the cleaner higher pitched vocals
then it takes a little getting used to in this version,

but I can understand why he chose the deeper vocals as it conveys more feeling for the songs mood.

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 04:38:46 AM »

this song is magic
widevu
Headliner

I used to do a little

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2008, 06:29:56 AM »

why is the song called madagascar?
sorry if this is a stupid question.

APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2008, 08:29:01 AM »

for me, i think that though it certainly is "mighty" it's the weakest for me on the record

sidenote* please axl, we need OMG
Alfie Bones
Rocker

I'm on the nightrain.

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 08:35:40 AM »

for me, i think that though it certainly is "mighty" it's the weakest for me on the record

So Madagascar sucks, but OMG is a great song?

rofl
dimitrisaxl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2008, 08:49:31 AM »

So Madagascar sucks, but OMG is a great song?

rofl

Both songs are great I believe...
Olorin
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2008, 08:58:43 AM »

why is the song called madagascar?
sorry if this is a stupid question.

Madagascar used to be connected to what is now mainland Africa, but over the course of millions of years through tectonic changes in the earths crust, Madagascar became seperated and isolated.
I consider it a metaphoric name choice symbolising Axls breakaway and isolation from the old band.

The lyrics seems to back that up, but like a lot of Axl songs they are a little ambiguous and other connections can be found in the songs meaning. Human rights and slavery and the refusal to be completely beaten for example.

But the title is definently a metaphor for seperation.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 09:10:28 AM by Olorin » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: