Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 07:43:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  This I Love - discussion/comments
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This I Love - discussion/comments  (Read 174465 times)
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2008, 10:02:02 AM »

From the first time I heard it (which was just a few hours ago, of course  Wink) I also thought it sounded like something that could have been in a musical...Phantom of the Opera, or something like that.  It's just a good song.  I like how it builds in intensity over multiple verses, has a nice solo, and then settles back down.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2008, 10:02:26 AM »

This song is fucking incredible ! jesus christ. Im knocked in shock at how good this song is. And the solo is fucking golden piece of beauty and im a finck hater. Where did this come from? They totally knew this was best song and kept it in a vault. This is awesome
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2008, 10:15:55 AM »

This is the best song I have ever heard in my life, period.
benfolds4980
Opening Act

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2008, 10:36:14 AM »

Just listened to this song for the first time sitting at work.  Chills went down my spine.  I am not going to accomplish anything constructive today except for listening to this album.  Good lord.
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2008, 10:37:17 AM »

I'm going to keep being annoying about this to everyone I know, here and everywhere.

This I Love is the sound a heart makes as it is breaking.

Easily one of the saddest songs I've ever heard. Incredible. Simply incredible.
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2008, 10:47:03 AM »

"This I Love"...this I love.
Shaggins13
Headliner

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2008, 10:48:01 AM »

I am not ashamed to admit it - I got a little choked up and told my wife we need to give Axl a hug.

I don't know about you guys, but I feel honored that Axl would share something so deep and personal with the public.  You can feel his pain.  This must have been written after the breakup with Stephanie.  Notice that he's not had a "significant" relationship since then...sometimes, you only get one or two shots at true love.  
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2008, 10:51:17 AM »

This song, like "Sorry", represents a very different kind of element to the cd and for that...it makes it that much more necessary.  While the rest of the songs on the album are different from each other...these two have a far different feel to them.  

I get the whole "it's too musical for me" or "sounds strange" or whatever...but that doesn't mean it's not lyrically and musically a good song.  

The chorus is definitely something else.  The song starts off soft and beautiful and then the emotions of anger come out and you just can feel all the emotions of the song as a whole...very well done.

What's odd is that in 2008, this song, while similar, still doesn't seem to have the feel or production in it that November Rain did or sounds like...

Also, is there any confirmation that this song was suppose to be used in the Robin Williams movie "What Dreams May Come"?  I heard this rumor a while ago and after listening to it...and seeing the movie a long time ago...I definitely could see it somewhat making sense in there...although the movie was a little more "quiet" and resourceful...so I'm not surprised it didn't get in there...

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2008, 10:56:13 AM »

Also, is there any confirmation that this song was suppose to be used in the Robin Williams movie "What Dreams May Come"?  I heard this rumor a while ago and after listening to it...and seeing the movie a long time ago...I definitely could see it somewhat making sense in there...although the movie was a little more "quiet" and resourceful...so I'm not surprised it didn't get in there...

According to the rumor board Splat, the song was offered to be used in the movie, but apparently the director or producer was "a real pill" so it unfortunately never was.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2008, 11:05:41 AM »

One of the magazine reviews said this song sounds like something Meat Loaf would do. Now, I'd been looking forward to this song for years anyway, but as a lifelong ML fan (I'd say he and Axl were the two greatest living rock vocalists) I was almost literally crapping myself in anticipation....

Well, after my first listen to the album just now, I can say that somehow still, this song really managed to broadside me. After the more aggressive, in your face stuff this is a real knockout punch. Someone recently said of Roy Orbison "He used his rock n' roll songs to set up his ballads" and I wonder if this is true of C.D. - It's almost like the whole album leads up to this song, and in the context of the album, it will have a lot more impact than just listening to it on its own.

For fans of this song, I suggest heading to iTunes immediately and picking up Blind As A Bat by Meat Loaf - seriously, its it's aural brother.

This I Love - probably the greatest song Axl's ever written.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:07:26 AM by TomFriend » Logged

And there goes the challenger...
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2008, 11:07:55 AM »

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry  listening to it, fucker made me cry before the first minute was up  no LOVE it!  love

Helsinki 05.07.2006. Helsinki 05.06.2010. Hämeenlinna 01.07.2017. 🔜 London 29.05.2020
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2008, 11:09:17 AM »

Seriously, this is the deepest, most emotional song I have ever heard in my life. You can just hear the pain in this man's voice. The music is so beautiful. Im speechless, words cant even describe how great this song is (the whole fucking album in general). I had tears welling up in my eyes, no lie.
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2008, 11:11:46 AM »

Me too bro. That melody just makes the hairs on your neck rise.

And there goes the challenger...
Jada
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2008, 11:36:40 AM »

Man... I loved it. But it kinda made me wanna slit my wrists, and I dunno if it's a good or a bad thing.

The tears came when I heard Prostitute.
 Kiss

mikep1310
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2008, 11:58:19 AM »

I have never posted on this board before but this song is too amesome to keep to myself. I love it
highend88
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2008, 12:03:57 PM »

Fernando, I know you're reading this thread.
Tell Axl that this is the best song he's ever written.. PERIOD!!

I hope he is the one that will play the piano when they tour next year or so.

I get up around seven
Get outta bed around nine
And I don't worry about nothin' no
'Cause worrin's a waste of my fuckin time
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2008, 12:57:25 PM »

One of the magazine reviews said this song sounds like something Meat Loaf would do. Now, I'd been looking forward to this song for years anyway, but as a lifelong ML fan (I'd say he and Axl were the two greatest living rock vocalists) I was almost literally crapping myself in anticipation....

First time I heard it, I thought--Queen or Meat Loaf..it has that previously mentioned theatricality and over the top thing going on yet it is credible. Best song on the record.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2008, 01:03:14 PM »

this is the single most beautiful and inspiring song ever written.  every professional song writer or singer should stop what they're doing for a month and just listen to this song again and again.  it's like everything you love about broadway musicals mixed with everything you love about the new gnr line up. 

anyone who doesn't like this song is simply an idiot.  anyone who doesn't cry when they hear it is heartless.  my friend made so much fun of me when i played this in the car and i wanted to kick him out.
Mechanical-Worm
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2008, 01:09:03 PM »

This song is heartfelt, genuine, and touching - it has all the makings of the next November Rain. This song is amazing but I'm sure most here agree with me. It may be very well written but I still much prefer the ballads from the band's heyday.

Please don't hate on me for my last sentence.  nervous
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:16:32 PM by Mechanical-Worm » Logged
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2008, 01:14:26 PM »

Beautifull song, great solo!   beer

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: