Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 10:02:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228062 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  This I Love - discussion/comments
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This I Love - discussion/comments  (Read 174581 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2008, 02:28:28 PM »

Its a decent song, but Sorry ownes TIL.  This has nothing to do with what you think it does.  So stop that talk now.  CD and Better are both better than TIL as well.  Its not even the best ballad on THIS album, let alone past albums.

For YOU.

Fair enough.

Does November Rain need to be EVERYONE's favorite GnR song?  Or Estranged?  Or WTTJ?  Or SCOM? 

No.  You prefer the other stuff...fair enough.

Who are you to pick other people's favorites or to tell them what THEY need to prefer? 

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2008, 02:31:26 PM »

I guess I was just shocked to come here and read 4 pages of how it was the greatest thing ever put to record.

But I think at least part of my appreciation for it is in my appreciation for Axl having the balls to put himself out there, raw and naked for pretty much everyone to see, like he does in this song.  You may think that makes him "soft"...fair enough, this isnt' your cup of tea.  I just have to respect the man for taking that kind of chance.  For investing himself so heavily in it, and for letting many of the people listening to the song feel the pain and anguish that's so obvious in the song...not just the lyrics, but the music, too. 

I can certainly appreciate the honesty and risk taking aspect of the song.  Or the whole album for that matter.  But the TIL lyrics are so literal and overwrought.  I guess I just like a little more metaphor in my poetry.....personal preference.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2008, 02:34:34 PM »

I wonder if this song will be played live.

Doing so would probably take alot out of Axl emotionally.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2008, 02:36:54 PM »

Yes, the only reason is that its the "Greatest song ever recorded" is because its new and Axl sang it.  After a few months that talk will die down and reality will hit.

I call Bullshit.

You don't like it...fine.  Your preference.

But to question the motives of people that do?  That's just crap.  This album could sell 3 copies and I'd like this song.  Nobody could EVER hear this song but me, and I'd like it.  It could be by Elton John or George Micheal or the garage band that practices down my street and I'd think it was a great song. 

If it's not your cup of tea, say so, make your case, and move on.  But how about we can the clairvoyance, and stop telling people how "they're going to feel" about material in a few months.  You don't know them, and you certainly don't know me.....I don't know how you can assume to speak for me.

Pilferk, I didn't attack you, but a lot of this is because the song is new, so its fresh and you look past other great works.  Plus it has an epic feel and the piano, which must mean its great.  Classics are determined over time and sometimes instantly.  I just know how were are as a fan base and at one time we hailed Madagascar the best new song and Axl sounded awesome.  So you are right, we all like songs for different reasons.  I just don't like seeing us throw words like "greatest ever" around this early.  Let the songs soak in and then make your official judgement.  I like This I Love, just not as much as 98% of the people in this thread.  
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2008, 02:38:13 PM »

I guess I was just shocked to come here and read 4 pages of how it was the greatest thing ever put to record.

But I think at least part of my appreciation for it is in my appreciation for Axl having the balls to put himself out there, raw and naked for pretty much everyone to see, like he does in this song.  You may think that makes him "soft"...fair enough, this isnt' your cup of tea.  I just have to respect the man for taking that kind of chance.  For investing himself so heavily in it, and for letting many of the people listening to the song feel the pain and anguish that's so obvious in the song...not just the lyrics, but the music, too. 

I can certainly appreciate the honesty and risk taking aspect of the song.  Or the whole album for that matter.  But the TIL lyrics are so literal and overwrought.  I guess I just like a little more metaphor in my poetry.....personal preference.

and SCOM isn't "literal and overwrought"Huh?.....many would say those lyrics are sappy and cheap. ...not me of course, but just sayin.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2008, 02:38:41 PM »

I can certainly appreciate the honesty and risk taking aspect of the song.  Or the whole album for that matter.  But the TIL lyrics are so literal and overwrought.  I guess I just like a little more metaphor in my poetry.....personal preference.

I think I like both...a bit of this and a bit of that.

I think we get a LOT of metaphor from Axl...and certainly on this album. 

This is a little more forthright, to be sure...but I think the honesty that stems from it makes up for the lack of ability to "interpret" it.

Some art is meant to be impressionistic.....you interpret it and bring a lot of yourself into that interpretation. 

Some is meant to be literal.  THIS is literal, pretty much.  Straight out there.....

To me, it's like comparing "The Mona Lisa", which is very literal but still emotionally evocative, to something like  Portrait De Femme by Picasso, which leaves more to the viewer to interpret.  Both gorgeous pieces of art, but VERY different.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2008, 02:43:51 PM »

Pilferk, I didn't attack you, but a lot of this is because the song is new, so its fresh and you look past other great works.  Plus it has an epic feel and the piano, which must mean its great.  Classics are determined over time and sometimes instantly.  I just know how were are as a fan base and at one time we hailed Madagascar the best new song and Axl sounded awesome.  So you are right, we all like songs for different reasons.  I just don't like seeing us throw words like "greatest ever" around this early.  Let the songs soak in and then make your official judgement.  I like This I Love, just not as much as 98% of the people in this thread. 

No, but you're making blanket assumptions and assertions.  As you point out: "Classics are determined over time".  How can you be so sure this WON'T be one?  Are you clairvoyant?  No.  You have good points, but you're making them very badly, and very confrontationally.  You reap what you sow.

In addition, YOU might NOT think it's the best GnR song of all time.  But someone else posting in this thread very well might.  I STILL think Coma is the best GnR song I've ever heard.  It's not a classic, by anyone's measure, but...to me, it's my absolute favorite piece of material.  Who, honestly, has the right to tell me otherwise.

All you can do in this thread and be honest is lend your opinion.  You can't tell everyone else what their opinion WILL be, and you certainly can't say with any certainty what's going to happen in 3, 6, or 12 months times.  You might, ultimately, be right....but you just as easily might not be.  To make the kinds of assertions you are, quite frankly, is somewhat insulting...and certainly stifles the discussion of the actual song.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:47:14 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2008, 02:45:23 PM »

Honestly, is there anyone here who doesn't like it?  Does it get better with repeated listens?  Because I've heard it once and thought it was one of the silliest GNR songs I've ever heard.  And I love the rest of the album.

This song is either love or hate. I first thought of Queen when I heard it. I am listening to it again but I am not sure if it is cheesy, silly, or good, or one of those songs that grows on you. It sounds like something a high school kid wrote his girlfriend when he got dumped or something out of an opera.

I will agree with one of the other posters that the album is good but also kind of depressing. The music is good but kind gets me down which is not usually the vibe I like to get from GNR.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2008, 02:45:30 PM »

This I love is beautiful. No 2 ways about it. It is rare we get to hear Axl just putting himself out there like this. Stripped down. From his vocals to his words, to the music and the fantastic solo. Beautiful.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2008, 02:47:41 PM »

Today in my class one guy that had heard the album already asked me if Axl had had a wife that died... now I know why he was asking that.
This is absolutely stunning... without a doubt, the best song in the entire album.

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2008, 02:50:15 PM »

Pilferk, I didn't attack you, but a lot of this is because the song is new, so its fresh and you look past other great works.  Plus it has an epic feel and the piano, which must mean its great.  Classics are determined over time and sometimes instantly.  I just know how were are as a fan base and at one time we hailed Madagascar the best new song and Axl sounded awesome.  So you are right, we all like songs for different reasons.  I just don't like seeing us throw words like "greatest ever" around this early.  Let the songs soak in and then make your official judgement.  I like This I Love, just not as much as 98% of the people in this thread. 

No, but you're making blanket assumptions and assertions.  As you point out: "Classics are determined over time".  How can you be so sure this WON'T be one?  Are you clairvoyant?  No.  You have good points, but you're making them very badly, and very confrontationally.  You reap what you sow.

In addition, YOU might NOT think it's the best GnR song of all time.  But someone else posting in this thread very well might.  I STILL think Coma is the best GnR song I've ever heard.  It's not a classic, by anyone's measure, but...to me, it's my absolute favorite piece of material.  Who, honestly, has the right to tell me otherwise.

All you can do in this thread and be honest is lend your opinion.  You can't tell everyone else what their opinion WILL be, and you certainly can't say with any certainty what's going to happen in 3, 6, or 12 months times.  You might, ultimately, be right....but you just as easily might not be.  To make the kinds of assertions you are, quite frankly, is somewhat insulting...and certainly stifles the discussion of the actual song.

Good point.  I went about it in the wrong way probably.  And I do "like" the song......  We are all GNR fans and with in GNR some will like some stuff more than others.  +1 to Pilferk if I could give it. 
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2008, 02:54:11 PM »

Honestly, is there anyone here who doesn't like it?  Does it get better with repeated listens?  Because I've heard it once and thought it was one of the silliest GNR songs I've ever heard.  And I love the rest of the album.

This song is either love or hate. I first thought of Queen when I heard it. I am listening to it again but I am not sure if it is cheesy, silly, or good, or one of those songs that grows on you. It sounds like something a high school kid wrote his girlfriend when he got dumped or something out of an opera.

I will agree with one of the other posters that the album is good but also kind of depressing. The music is good but kind gets me down which is not usually the vibe I like to get from GNR.

TIL may grow on me.  I agree with your points on the lyrics though.  I would have liked to see some more variation in the lyrical themes of the album rather than the "this person fucked me over" subject matter seen on most tracks.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2008, 02:56:16 PM »

I have no idea why (other than it is a great song) I cannot stop listening to this...makes some kind of connection in my head...god I wish I hadn't been called to work - I was going to sit here logged into Myspace and listen until I got bedsores.  I am going to have this song in my head all night.    hihi

Can't wait till Sunday, so I can listen on the way to work, as well.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:58:01 PM by IKnowWhereIAM » Logged

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2008, 02:59:48 PM »

I have no idea why (other than it is a great song) I cannot stop listening to this...

hehe I think beneath this hard rock coverage we all might have, we all are some big romantic fellas...  Wink

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Cocaine__tongue
Axl's lawyer wannabe
Rocker

HAPPY HAPPY

« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2008, 03:01:06 PM »

TIL is a classic from the first listen. Wonderful song, very emotional. I would have cut out the first 10 seconds though...

Madrid '93
Madrid '06
Bilbao '06
San Sebastian '10
London 17
Download Madrid 18
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »

I have no idea why (other than it is a great song) I cannot stop listening to this...

hehe I think beneath this hard rock coverage we all might have, we all are some big romantic fellas...  Wink

hihi  I think that's become obvious from reading this thread.  I got ditched recently by someone I really cared about, so I can relate to the content of TIL, even though it's not my favorite track.

GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2008, 03:17:37 PM »

This song could easily be on the next big movie, meaning like the next Titanic-esq themed movie. 

TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2008, 03:25:05 PM »

This song could easily be on the next big movie, meaning like the next Titanic-esq themed movie. 

If he wants to totally ruin it, cheapen it and piss all over its context.

And there goes the challenger...
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2008, 03:27:29 PM »

I can't stop talking about this song and listening to it! how can I go to work tomorrow for 10 hours without it??  no

Helsinki 05.07.2006. Helsinki 05.06.2010. Hämeenlinna 01.07.2017. 🔜 London 29.05.2020
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2008, 03:29:18 PM »

If he wants to totally ruin it, cheapen it and piss all over its context.

Or open it up to share it with a larger audience. 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: