Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:06:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  This I Love - discussion/comments
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This I Love - discussion/comments  (Read 174487 times)
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2008, 12:49:28 AM »

if you could marry a song, this one would be it! I just played it at our company's reception lmao  love

Helsinki 05.07.2006. Helsinki 05.06.2010. Hämeenlinna 01.07.2017. 🔜 London 29.05.2020
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2008, 12:51:26 AM »

Sunday cant come soon enough. These reviews are amazing.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
riotact_vancity
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2008, 12:52:44 AM »

i honestly cant think of a better song. this one has it all. The evolution of the ballad. his lyrics are simple, almost childish, but it suits the subject matter becauae it lays out without any misunderstanding or vagueness. The solo is amazing (god, Robin'll be missed if he's out) and Axl's singing is as good as he's ever done.

with Sorry, and If the World i think these are the clear best tracks and show where he's going and his evolution as a musician
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2008, 12:57:56 AM »

Sorry.... but COMPLETELY DISAGREE with you guys. ok

The simplicity of the Finck solo suits the "stripped down" feel of this song to a T. It's beautiful and the best instrumental performance on the album IMHO (with Buckethead's solo on TWAT a close 2nd). A throw back and nod to earlier GN'R eras. This is one song that I'm really glad that we don't have Buckethead or Bumblefoot wanking all over it (though their solos are fucking awesome on other tracks- and yes I know they're capable of playing mellow and with "feeling" too.). This song is like a delicate little flower that needs to be protected. Finck's solo perfectly captures that vibe IMHO. He was the right man for the job- and I have no reservation including this song on my GN'R top 10 and possibly top 5.

But as you said- to each their own! beer

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2008, 01:03:47 AM »

The chorus, and the way it's delivered, is fucking amazing.  I've had it stuck in my head constantly since I first listened to the song the "right way"

So if she's somewhere near me
I hope to God she hears me
There's no one else that ever made me feel I'm so alive
I hoped she'd never leave me
Please God you must believe me
I've searched the universe and found myself within her eyes

His delivery is unbelievable.  The piano is like a cross between Freddie Mercury and Chopin
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2008, 01:18:40 AM »

You know what, I've listened to the song twice since I posted, and I'm starting to agree with MaoAxl's post

Robin's solo is damn near perfect.  It is so raw and emotional and matches Axl's lyrics perfectly
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2008, 01:24:20 AM »

You know what, I've listened to the song twice since I posted, and I'm starting to agree with MaoAxl's post

Robin's solo is damn near perfect.  It is so raw and emotional and matches Axl's lyrics perfectly

HAHAHA... I actually find that many of Robin's solos are "growers". His work sometimes gets overlooked by many GN'R fans (myself included) because of all the incredible virtuosity of Buckethead, Bumblefoot, etc. BUT if you really go back and listen carefully- the shit Robin comes up with is a beautiful pairing with Axl's style. A very natural fit IMHO. I'm really impressed by Robin's work on this album.

Anyway, glad people are having such a great reaction to this truly delicately beautiful song! peace peace

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2008, 01:28:17 AM »

The song is great,. .and the solo is fine.

They could of used something a bit bluesier or something from madagascar tone

great. song stil.l.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2008, 02:28:23 AM »

i wish this song would come out as a single so i could buy a copy and smack people who say "the album's too nine-inch-nails-y" in the face with it. rant

this is by far my favorite song on the album. hands down. i can't think of any better word to describe it than "beautiful"

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2008, 03:00:25 AM »

I wonder if this could be about Stephanie Seymour? His regret of losing her or maybe someone else we don't even know about.
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2008, 03:16:24 AM »

the solo is fucking awesome.  its emotional as fuck and probably the best on the album.
fangbutt
Opening Act

« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2008, 03:23:46 AM »

This song is the BIGGEST disappointment on the album. The chorus is great, but the lyrics in the verses just seem to float alongside the chorus. the lyrics are too cheesy but not subtle enough to make it work like on November Rain or Estranged. It's like Axl wrote the lyrics in about 5 minutes and never tweaked them in 5 years or whatever. He seriously thought those lyrics were good enough? Lips Sealed I thought he was a perfectionist...
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2008, 04:12:43 AM »

This song is the BIGGEST disappointment on the album. The chorus is great, but the lyrics in the verses just seem to float alongside the chorus. the lyrics are too cheesy but not subtle enough to make it work like on November Rain or Estranged. It's like Axl wrote the lyrics in about 5 minutes and never tweaked them in 5 years or whatever. He seriously thought those lyrics were good enough? Lips Sealed I thought he was a perfectionist...

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.... and I agree that the lyrics are rather simple. That said- they work phenomenally well for THAT reason IMHO. This song is like as if God granted you 4 minutes to talk to the long lost love of your life... and 4 minutes ONLY. What would you say? Lots of complicated imagery and creative open to interpretation allusions...  OR would you rip your heart out (as Axl does here IMHO) and hand it to her on a plate so that she would know for all time EXACTLY how you feel? That's what I love about this song and in contrast to the rest of the album (which is also great)... there are NO PRETENSIONS whatsoever (either musically or lyrically). It's extraordinary what Axl has chosen to share with the listener here IMHO....

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2008, 04:13:45 AM »

the solo is fucking awesome.  its emotional as fuck and probably the best on the album.
If I had been in a box since 1993, I would swear that was Slash...I say that more as a credit to Robin than a nod to Slash, I am sure he wasn't thinking 'Slash' when he played it anyway - but that emotional bending, almost crying/singing guitar is something I only identified with Slash...I just didn't think Robin had it in him.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2008, 04:21:09 AM »

If I had been in a box since 1993, I would swear that was Slash...I say that more as a credit to Robin than a nod to Slash, I am sure he wasn't thinking 'Slash' when he played it anyway - but that emotional bending, almost crying/singing guitar is something I only identified with Slash...I just didn't think Robin had it in him.

100000% agreed. Each time I hear it I can easily imagine Robin walking out of a white church somewhere in deserted New Mexico playing that soulful solo a la Slash in the "November Rain" video. I'll say it again- this track is VINTAGE Guns N' Roses. 5/5, 10/10, 100/100.... drool

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
john b!
Opening Act

Please live and let die!

« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2008, 04:45:07 AM »

I wonder if this could be about Stephanie Seymour? His regret of losing her or maybe someone else we don't even know about.
I was going to ask about that, I read in a CD review about that, but I have my doubts, it's been almost two decades, the guy in the review almost tells axl, get over it...

"If love is blind I guess I'll buy myself a cane..."
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2008, 04:58:02 AM »

At first listen I was thinking this was gonna be a cheesy love song but Axl's vocals, the beautiful piano and Finck's solo give this song alot more depth. The lyrics are just straight up, there's not too much clever, poetic writing going on but its simplicity here is strengthened by the vocals. Axl seems to be using his voice almost like an instrument on most songs in this album, he alters style and wails all over the place and even does a lot of na na na stuff! It works for me

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2008, 05:32:41 AM »

my mom just emailed me that she played it to her 50 something co-workers and men & women alike were in goosebumps and one lady started bawling her eyes out!  beer go Axl lol

Helsinki 05.07.2006. Helsinki 05.06.2010. Hämeenlinna 01.07.2017. 🔜 London 29.05.2020
waxlrick
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2008, 05:44:07 AM »

The biggest suprise on the album. Axl taking a risk.....I love it.

Superb vocal. Nobody else on earth sings like that!
axlroselegend
Headliner

Irish Gunner

« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2008, 06:00:11 AM »

it just keeps getting better and more personal with each listen
top tune
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: