Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 10:02:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228062 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  This I Love - discussion/comments
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This I Love - discussion/comments  (Read 174582 times)
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #320 on: December 14, 2008, 08:26:57 PM »

Alot of my friends think the song is too soft ? I disagree ! what do you guy's think ?

I think it's way too visceral to be considered soft, but I guess the headbanging crowd may think otherwise.

And there goes the challenger...
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #321 on: December 14, 2008, 08:28:02 PM »

This song NEEDS to be in the TWILIGHT movie sequel!

Gawd ! please no !!!!

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Black Betty
Headliner

« Reply #322 on: December 14, 2008, 08:33:01 PM »

A lot of people don't get this song, calling it soft or whatever. The truth is the song hits an emotional thread most are not ready to venture into. The song is a masterpiece, barnone.  It has every element within the top and tail to be a hit, and is the most dramatic over the top song Axl has ever written. The emotional content is super heavy, not cheesy like stated before. If you don't get it fine, say you don't get it, most won't for several listens.  Your mind won't allow you to get it until you're heart is ready.  Then you'll be ballin' like a baby. crying
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #323 on: December 14, 2008, 08:37:14 PM »

3 weeks later... and STILL my favorite song on the album.

It's absolutely beautiful.

I love the "I'll never say good-bye" ending... sometimes you go through a break-up and everyone hovers over you (with the best of intentions) and tells you- "You've GOT to move on man-" or "Forget her- she was a bitch-" or whatever... and it just doesn't work for you because you still love the woman- and ACTING like these people want you to is nothing more than a cheap charade ("ghost of pride"). Axl may have discovered something very therapeutic here- i.e. actually it's best just to acknowledge the love in your heart for that person rather than killing it (afterall what good ever comes from killing something as beautiful as love?) and try to move on in your life notwithstanding that love. More authentic. Just my take anyway- and "This I Love" is DEFINITELY right up there with "Don't Cry", "November Rain", "Estranged" in my book- in fact it's neck-and-neck with "Estranged" as my favorite of the set. ok
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 08:41:33 PM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #324 on: December 14, 2008, 11:32:52 PM »

Gawd ! please no !!!!

For the love of Axl and all things holy, NO!
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #325 on: December 14, 2008, 11:42:49 PM »

Amazing! Beautiful! Heart on his sleeve vulnerability. Anyone who has been in love with someone who doesn't love him or her back can relate to the simple beauty and child-like truth of this song. The torture of unrequited love. Or lost love (death or divorce)

The most prolific and truthful line:
"I can?t deny

I just can?t let it die
Cause her heart?s just like mine
And she holds her pain inside"

It is amazing the rage and angst and sorrow that comes through his voice as he cracks it and raises his smooth vocals into his primal scream trying to release years of repressed pain and depression. It is the sound of a heart that never got over a girl and has spent many years alone as it tried to "lie to itself" by being with another girl or lover, but always felt alone and empty, even when in her arms. He couldn't stop thinking about her, even when in her arms. The lump in his heart, throat, and chest that won't go away and the knot in his stomach. So he probably put on a fake smile and went on lying to his heart, but his heart yearned for the love it just couldn't forget.

Axl is fuckin genius, a redneck Shakespeare.
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #326 on: December 15, 2008, 04:36:11 PM »

Can't praise this song enought, tears in my eyes almost everytime

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
MrIntensity
Opening Act

« Reply #327 on: December 15, 2008, 07:06:21 PM »

This is my favorite track on the album.

I had been waiting for it since I seen the movie "What Dreams May Come".. back around the year 2000. I think if you watch/understand the movie, you'll have a greater appreciation for this song. The movie is about a man, who dies/goes to heaven, and is united with his two children.. but his wife is no where to be found. She goes to hell, because she takes her own life.... Robin Williams character can not deal with the love of his life in hell, so he decides he is going to go rescue her.. he'll only be able to if she is indeed, his twin soul. If she is not, she won't be able to recognize him, and he'll be doomed to eternal life in hell with her....  and thus, the plot of the movie, rent it and enjoy.....

So, knowing how deep the movie was, and knowing "This I love" was being considered for the soundtrack, I always assumed it would be a pretty emotional song.. and is it ever... perfect mood, perfect lyrics, the desperation in Axl's voice gives a glimpse into at times what I am sure has been a tortured soul... his own, I am so happy he put this on the record.

Can you believe he held this track back for 10 years?

Amazing.
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #328 on: December 15, 2008, 07:15:50 PM »

The more I listen the more I LOVE IT...might be the best song on the album. 
Annie
« Reply #329 on: December 15, 2008, 09:39:23 PM »

Gawd ! please no !!!!

Why not? THIS I LOVE is a great romantic song and TWILIGHT is a great romantic movie. Besides the movie had made over $150 million dollars, and it could introduce GNR to a whole new fanbase! It's all about the Benjamins baby!
slash1213
Rocker

GNR42

« Reply #330 on: December 15, 2008, 09:43:49 PM »

It 's in the top on mi list too..  same level as November rain.. It gets me every single time

11-30-1992 Bogota, Colombia
05-14-2006 New York, NY
10-24-2006 Sunrise, FL
10-27-2006 Estero, FL
11-10-2006 New York, NY
10-29-2011 Miami, FL
12-31-2011 Las Vegas
Annie
« Reply #331 on: December 15, 2008, 09:47:07 PM »

It 's in the top on mi list too..  same level as November rain.. It gets me every single time
I agree! I may like THIS I LOVE even more than NOVEMBER RAIN and I didn't think that was possible!
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #332 on: December 16, 2008, 12:20:21 PM »

I agree! I may like THIS I LOVE even more than NOVEMBER RAIN and I didn't think that was possible!

No, TIL is the best song ever created.
jeffaz02t
Opening Act

« Reply #333 on: December 16, 2008, 05:11:56 PM »

I have been listening to Robin's solo a lot. I am not sure if anyone here is a fan of Pink Floyd, but it reminds me a little bit of David Gilmour's work on the song "Marooned" from The Division Bell. This solo really grew on me, great job Robin!
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #334 on: December 16, 2008, 07:08:10 PM »

No, TIL is the best song ever created.

That's some people's opinion.  For me, it's the 14th best song on Chinese Democracy.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
cjmax02
Rocker

literary protostar

« Reply #335 on: December 16, 2008, 09:54:18 PM »

This I Love was the first song I heard of CD (No, I didn't hear Catcher or any of the others. And I have entirely no regrets about it either, the album as a whole is magnificent and that's what I wanted, the whole damned thing), and I found myself humming along...it was a bit like someone had found my lonesome little wailing heart's melody and done something with it. 

Worth waiting for, imho.

do you even know where the fuck I am?
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #336 on: December 16, 2008, 11:04:18 PM »

Gawd ! please no !!!!

Why not? THIS I LOVE is a great romantic song and TWILIGHT is a great romantic movie. Besides the movie had made over $150 million dollars, and it could introduce GNR to a whole new fanbase! It's all about the Benjamins baby!

The song should stand on it's own, because linking it to something like that would suck for people like me, who after i saw the movie turned to the girl i was with and said "please don't ever make me watch that again."
Vampires that don't die in the light, but sparkle? Teenage true love... even though one of them is hundreds of years old?
Not what i want to think of when i hear this beautiful GNR song.

This I Love was the first song I heard of CD (No, I didn't hear Catcher or any of the others. And I have entirely no regrets about it either, the album as a whole is magnificent and that's what I wanted, the whole damned thing), and I found myself humming along...it was a bit like someone had found my lonesome little wailing heart's melody and done something with it. 

Worth waiting for, imho.

Definitely... there's something really telling in that. As soon as you hear the song, it's as if you've always known it. I think that's a good indication that something is classic and timeless. Even if you don't like this song, i can't imagine anyone saying it's not quality.
SoulMonster
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #337 on: December 17, 2008, 04:21:43 AM »

One of the best GnR songs, but the guitar solo in some parts is cringe worthy.

The people who say it's soft and stuff.....give them the Einstein award with a mullet attached to it. Wtf do you expect, death metal guitars in the background?

And it is not that soft if you listen, the structure itself is very heavy, including the singing in the chorus.

SCOM is soft (got a best metal song award LOL), Patience is soft.
DuffRock
Rocker

www.cafepress.com/patiencepays

« Reply #338 on: December 17, 2008, 04:28:50 AM »

One of the best GnR songs, but the guitar solo in some parts is cringe worthy.

The people who say it's soft and stuff.....give them the Einstein award with a mullet attached to it. Wtf do you expect, death metal guitars in the background?

And it is not that soft if you listen, the structure itself is very heavy, including the singing in the chorus.

SCOM is soft (got a best metal song award LOL), Patience is soft.

The whole song is cringeworthy and it's not just that it's soft, it's corny, one-dimensional and just plain bad imo.  I'm not a mullet-head I just really dislike this song.

Annie
« Reply #339 on: December 17, 2008, 10:11:17 AM »

Gawd ! please no !!!!

The song should stand on it's own, because linking it to something like that would suck for people like me, who after i saw the movie turned to the girl i was with and said "please don't ever make me watch that again."
Vampires that don't die in the light, but sparkle? Teenage true love... even though one of them is hundreds of years old?
Not what i want to think of when i hear this beautiful GNR song.

I respect your opinion, but after reading the entire TWILIGHT series, I still think the song fits perfectly. Edward is a very complex character. The books are better than the movie, but the more I read the books the more I loved the movie, which I have seen 3 times. I think it would be great to have this beautiful song in a hit movie so that GNR could possibly get an Academy award nomination
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 10:15:50 AM by Annie » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: