Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:06:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  This I Love - discussion/comments
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This I Love - discussion/comments  (Read 174338 times)
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #340 on: December 17, 2008, 11:43:43 AM »

Not sure this has been asked. If so an Axl response like "answered" will be fine.

I had some thoughts regarding the line "Ghost of Pride" but, was interested what some of you take from it. Gave up my ghost of pride. Having to much pride in a relationship is living without compromise from your partner. Not giving in at all and being really stubborn. Ghost of pride. Like your pride died and you are living with that truth and the consequences of it. Gave up my ghost of pride means what exactly? You got your pride back? Or is it more of a Yoda kind of statement. Like what he told Anakin in Episode 3. Yoda said something like "First you must learn to let go of the thing you fear most of losing."

Anyway, I am having some trouble with this Ghost of pride line. It is probably something more straightforward. What does it mean? Thoughts?

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #341 on: December 17, 2008, 11:50:38 AM »

Not sure this has been asked. If so an Axl response like "answered" will be fine.

I had some thoughts regarding the line "Ghost of Pride" but, was interested what some of you take from it. Gave up my ghost of pride. Having to much pride in a relationship is living without compromise from your partner. Not giving in at all and being really stubborn. Ghost of pride. Like your pride died and you are living with that truth and the consequences of it. Gave up my ghost of pride means what exactly? You got your pride back? Or is it more of a Yoda kind of statement. Like what he told Anakin in Episode 3. Yoda said something like "First you must learn to let go of the thing you fear most of losing."

Anyway, I am having some trouble with this Ghost of pride line. It is probably something more straightforward. What does it mean? Thoughts?

I think he means he's given up what little pride he had left by laying his feelings out so plainly in the song.  Like his pride was already pretty much dead....just a ghost of it left.  "She" more or less killed it when she left, unexpectedly.   And putting himself out there, like he does in TIL, has killed even that.

Just MHO.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #342 on: December 17, 2008, 12:59:08 PM »

I think he means he's given up what little pride he had left by laying his feelings out so plainly in the song.  Like his pride was already pretty much dead....just a ghost of it left.  "She" more or less killed it when she left, unexpectedly.   And putting himself out there, like he does in TIL, has killed even that.

Just MHO.

Alright I think you are much closer in your thinking. That really must be it. That sounds right. Nice, thank you.

edit: Hmmm, just thinking it over again, doesn't being a ghost already mean death has occurred? So, how can you give up what little pride is left if its already gone?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 01:01:59 PM by Buddha_Master » Logged

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #343 on: December 17, 2008, 01:22:12 PM »

for instance, a ghost of a smile means a trace of a smile.

you sometimes leave your friend/gf/ bf before they leave them to secure your pride.

edit i meant to say 'before they leave you '
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 02:00:14 PM by ppbebe » Logged
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #344 on: December 17, 2008, 01:56:15 PM »

i think the ghost of pride is like an act and he gave it up by laying out his emotions, telling the whole world about his feelings that are still there for this person

and since she didn't say goodbye, he's thinking "if i sing this song and letting my heart out and my ghost of pride go..  maybe she'll come back, well at least she knows i want her back.. and someday.... maybe"

cause he has fucking sen it in her eyes you know no

I can relate to that, i'm thinking about giving up my ghost of pride Undecided

IMO it's among the absolute best songs on CD but it's probably the one i've listened to the least, beacause it's so emotionally heavy to listen to it
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #345 on: December 18, 2008, 06:56:21 AM »

"Ghost o' Pride":
I took it as Ghost of Christmas Past....Pride may no longer be there but it lingers in his conciousness..Perhpas he may regain it..
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #346 on: December 18, 2008, 11:35:21 AM »

yup, Ghost o' Pride showed Scrooge the day when he let belle leave him.

anyway I find the words sorta contrastive to those of 'don't cry'.

mrarkadin
Headliner

« Reply #347 on: December 18, 2008, 12:02:34 PM »

One of the best GnR songs, but the guitar solo in some parts is cringe worthy.

The people who say it's soft and stuff.....give them the Einstein award with a mullet attached to it. Wtf do you expect, death metal guitars in the background?

And it is not that soft if you listen, the structure itself is very heavy, including the singing in the chorus.

SCOM is soft (got a best metal song award LOL), Patience is soft.

The whole song is cringeworthy and it's not just that it's soft, it's corny, one-dimensional and just plain bad imo.  I'm not a mullet-head I just really dislike this song.

I like the song. Corny, maybe, but that's true with 99pct of any pop lyrics? Even really, really good lyricists write corny love songs. Can't be helped. Isn't Sweet Child sort of a ridiculous song? For me, the real emotion of the singing, the simple beauty of the piano, the orchestration etc. help the song transcend the inherent 'corniness' of pop love song lyrics.

But I can certainly see how for some it would be a total miss. It's an extreme song, in its way, that for me, goes beyond taste--literary taste, stylistic taste etc. This isn't the stuff I listen to, generally, but the first time I heard it, I started crying.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 12:07:10 PM by mrarkadin » Logged
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #348 on: December 18, 2008, 12:53:35 PM »

Really surprised that someone who is a fan of Axl's wouldn't like this song. It is such a vocal showcase for Axl. At first listen, when it started, I was like  Shocked. It was so much like a Disney Lion King kind of song (not a negative thing by any means mind you (that movie breaks me down emotionally every time)). But, as the song went, there was no denying it is beautiful. When some fools at mygnrforum were talking shit about the solo, I defended it relentlessly. The song is great. Maybe some people just don't know what it is like to really experience love and then to lose it. Some have never really loved or have been loved and made a true connection with another human being. I feel nothing but pity for these people. But, it would explain not feeling TIL.

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #349 on: December 18, 2008, 02:22:42 PM »

Really surprised that someone who is a fan of Axl's wouldn't like this song. It is such a vocal showcase for Axl. At first listen, when it started, I was like  Shocked. It was so much like a Disney Lion King kind of song (not a negative thing by any means mind you (that movie breaks me down emotionally every time)). But, as the song went, there was no denying it is beautiful. When some fools at mygnrforum were talking shit about the solo, I defended it relentlessly. The song is great. Maybe some people just don't know what it is like to really experience love and then to lose it. Some have never really loved or have been loved and made a true connection with another human being. I feel nothing but pity for these people. But, it would explain not feeling TIL.

Or you have experienced love and just aren't a big fan of this song  Roll Eyes

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #350 on: December 18, 2008, 02:26:09 PM »

Yea that song gets to me to man

and yea Sweet Child is my favorate love song its just so right man

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
DuffRock
Rocker

www.cafepress.com/patiencepays

« Reply #351 on: December 18, 2008, 02:43:30 PM »

Ditto.  I got dumped last week by my girlfriend of over 2 years and I loved her intensely; I can honestly say I'd much, much, much rather listen to songs like Don't Cry, Estranged or Street Of Dreams than this drivel!

Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #352 on: December 18, 2008, 02:45:39 PM »

o come on its the gost of GRN past
Sweet Child is a great song

Ditto.  I got dumped last week by my girlfriend of over 2 years and I loved her intensely; I can honestly say I'd much, much, much rather listen to songs like Don't Cry, Estranged or Street Of Dreams than this drivel!
myfriend its never to late theres a lot of chicks out there u just gota keep at it

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
otto16
Opening Act

"Carpe diem"

« Reply #353 on: December 18, 2008, 04:19:30 PM »

One great fuckin song I must say.
//See ya in Sweden this summer !!!!!!!!!! beer
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #354 on: December 18, 2008, 04:23:50 PM »

My mom digs this tune a lot.

demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #355 on: December 18, 2008, 04:42:17 PM »

I liked this on first listen because it was a nice, simple contrast to the heavily produced sound of the rest of the album...

However, it wore thin pretty quickly. Soft songs are great but this one just doesn't engage me. Too much of a 'musical' sound to it, the lyrics are a touch too corny and I agree with whoever it was earlier who siad parts of the solo really don't hold up.

Ultimately, just doesn't do it for me.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #356 on: December 18, 2008, 05:00:16 PM »

I think the solo is very good. The instrumental part in the middle is great. I love how much Axl has let these songs have breathing room and showcase how good this band really is.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #357 on: December 18, 2008, 05:00:44 PM »

I liked this on first listen because it was a nice, simple contrast to the heavily produced sound of the rest of the album...

However, it wore thin pretty quickly. Soft songs are great but this one just doesn't engage me. Too much of a 'musical' sound to it, the lyrics are a touch too corny and I agree with whoever it was earlier who siad parts of the solo really don't hold up.

Ultimately, just doesn't do it for me.

Yeah?  Well, you're ugly.

Only kidding, chief (kind of), it's just that I am intensely into this song.  The "in my heaaaaart" line delivers every time and then the first guitar note right after that as he goes into the chorus... absolute fucking killer.

demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #358 on: December 18, 2008, 05:41:05 PM »

Hey, I've got no problem if other people love it, it just isn't his best work according to my tastes...
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #359 on: December 18, 2008, 07:43:35 PM »

I quite like the song, really nice simplistic intimate opening.  But I think the solo is very contrived.  All those bends and overly long held high notes just get annoying, and also, it peaks too early.  Trying to hard to put emotion into it, i imagine.

But good song, very nice piano and nice backgrounds instrumentation (harp?). 

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: