Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 09:59:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Please Help-Very important question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please Help-Very important question  (Read 1442 times)
Tyson
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« on: November 20, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »

A record store, as indicated by forum member 'Where's Izzy' has CD on sale right now.  I am concerned that yy purchases will not be tabulated in next week's billboard chart.  I want every one of my purchases to help this album to go to #1.  I fear that if I buy it today, it will be counted for this week and not at all reflected in CD's first week sales figures.   Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.  It's a 45 minute drive and I want to leave ASAP. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:38:30 AM by Tyson » Logged
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 11:38:16 AM »

I'm wondering the same thing myself.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
gabble
Rocker

I-E-A-I-A-I-O

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 11:55:52 AM »

If you buy it today it will not be calculated into the first week sales figures. 

Additionally, the record store selling the album will likely be fined.  Furthermore, they may be penalized by the record company by withholding future releases in advance (say, one month later they'll receive shipment for a new item).  This happened when Microsoft penalized a store for pre-releasing Fable 2, I believe.

This happens to novels as well.  And a lot of times the authors don't even get royalties for these pre-sales.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 11:59:26 AM »

They're not supposed to sell it, so you think they'll report it as being sold?

In addition, they didn't get it from the US distributor since it's a Best Buy exclusive.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Tyson
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 12:02:38 PM »

I appreciate the feedback guys.  I'm going to buy a few copies today, and a few next week to support the band! 
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 12:04:30 PM »

Jarmo beat me to it...no 're-seller' will be adding to the total.  The album was probably credited to BestBuy Online sales, and this vendor is now re-selling it.  You will probably find a lot of Ma&Pa record shops in East Bumf--k selling them already, since they likely received their order early from BestBuy...you can 'support' you local shop that marks the product up another couple bucks and puts it on their shelf (possibly illegaly), or you can order your own from BestBuy for $11.99 and it will likely be at your door 3 days later.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 12:05:27 PM »

Would it be counted in overseas sales figures from whatever country they imported it from?  Or are sales tallies counted at the stores and not from the distributors?

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 12:13:23 PM »

Sales at independent records stores like the one he bought it at generally aren't tracked by Soundscan anyway.  And in this case, they aren't even "supposed" to be selling the album, although there are ways to get around it, like buying it from an international supplier.  But even if it was just a regular wide release, sales at those types of stores aren't usually counted anyway
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 12:33:03 PM »

I appreciate the feedback guys.  I'm going to buy a few copies today, and a few next week to support the band! 

Why? If it bothers you that much that you might be cheating Guns N' Roses of recorded album sales then wait. If not then buy away. GnR doesn't give a shit at the end of the day how many copies you buy to help them out. Wait until release day, buy your copy and be happy. You might as well just download it and listen to that until release day if it isn't going to count toward sales.
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 12:33:51 PM »

I was tempted to buy it this way, because now I'll have to wait until Thanksgiving to get my copy, but I'd rather be counted among the historic first week sales. I mean, I understand wanting it early, but damn, buying it (or having it bought for you) on the first official day makes you part of history. I remember being the very first person in my town to get the UYI albums. I skipped class to do it, got caught, but it was totally worth it.
Besides, they gave us a good preview on Myspace! I can wait a few more days... or can I?

The day is here!

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: