Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:52:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Duff McKagan's Loaded To Release 'Sick' In April
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff McKagan's Loaded To Release 'Sick' In April  (Read 59884 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2009, 02:27:18 PM »

From Download Festival...

The Lowdown: Episode 1 - Katie P speaks to The Answer, Duff McKagan and his band Loaded, and Dir En Grey talks to us in English (for the first time ever!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1pH_fa-kmU

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2009, 07:57:38 PM »

That was a great version of Dust N Bones. Id love to hear the whole thing

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2009, 07:44:53 AM »

They do it at every show.  Jeff's voice is brilliant on that song.
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2009, 12:17:39 PM »

You know how you see these musicians who you never knew could play piano so well... Its nice to see Duff falls into that category rofl
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2009, 11:09:17 AM »

Just picked the album up yesterday, totally solid, a few fillers, but  Jeff sings lead on the the 6th track called Translucent, fuckin great song, could easily be radio hit.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2009, 11:14:30 AM »

Dude really covers Axl's parts very well from what I heard on ISE and Dust

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2009, 12:32:47 PM »

http://artistdirect.com/music/review/0,,5289639,00.html

Album Reviews: Sick by Duff McKagan

Stop trying to decipher the ins and outs of Chinese Democracy. Quell that hankering for a renewed Appetite for Destruction. Check your expectations about what Duff McKagan's Loaded will be like at the door. Longtime Guns N? Roses bassist Duff McKagan stands front and center with Loaded, a project the lanky rock star has been working on for several years. McKagan?s bass is in storage when it comes to Loaded; he?s both vocalist and guitarist on this punk-influenced, dirty rock project who just issued Sick.

As a vocalist, McKagan appears to have learned from example. His adenoidal wail is incredibly similar to that of W. Axl Rose and that shouldn?t surprise anyone, given the fact that the pair made some of the most important, memorable and enduring music of the past three decades together. ?Sick? and ?Sleaze Factory? blend Los Angeles glitz, Sunset glam and grunge, Seattle-inspired guitars, all of which are kicked up by the punk rock intensity. It would be easy to write Loaded off as a vanity side project from an artist who has been fortunate to be gifted with tremendous, off-the-charts success in his other projects. It would simple to accuse McKagan of self-indulgence and ?trying to get back to? the music he evolved away from as his career skyrocketed. But that?s not the case.

Sick isn?t far removed from GN?R?s legacy, but McKagan has packed the album with a snottier, grittier, punk rock aesthetic. Bits of ?80s hair metal also dot the album?s landscape, most noticeably on ?Flatline.? McKagan penned an ?aw how sweet? ode to his wife with ?IOU,? which proves the record has heart and is more thoughtful than many other rock records in today?s marketplace. ?The Slide? is a three-chord all-out punk rock anthem. Clearly, the record experiments with plenty of flavors and seasonings. It?s no Guns N? Roses, but it?s no throwaway side deal either.

? Amy Sciarretto

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2009, 07:04:06 PM »

Here is an interview Duff did on 92.7 & 98.5 the Planet last week.  He says in part 5 that he is happy to be doing Loaded now and on VR "I'm actually in a way glad we haven't found a singer yet."

Duff McKagan's Loaded Pt. 1 - Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guEHpZDgwJA

Duff McKagan's Loaded Pt. 2 - Flatline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIACGPLcMvw

Duff McKagan's Loaded Pt. 3 - Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yx5Ge0FuXM

Duff McKagan's Loaded Pt. 4 - Wasted Heart

http://www.youtube.com/user/rkirtner

Duff McKagan's Loaded Pt. 5 - Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URA9aaHjyZY

Edited to add part 4  Cheesy

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:16:25 AM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2009, 07:43:39 PM »

anyone know Loaded's taping policy?
alex420gnr
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2009, 09:53:41 PM »

Tape away - I met Duff in 2002 and he has no problem with it

Please tape - I am dying for a good and new bootleg

Cmon people where is the love!!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2009, 10:11:20 PM »

Love hearing Duff against the Reality show shit

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2009, 11:09:51 AM »

Tape away - I met Duff in 2002 and he has no problem with it

Please tape - I am dying for a good and new bootleg

Cmon people where is the love!!

we'll see about a month from now how it goes...in highdef!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2009, 10:50:06 AM »

A couple of interviews with Duff about Loaded...

Duff McKagan gets Loaded

Talking Download, the new album, the music biz, and more on
Thursday 30 April 2009

http://www.egigs.co.uk/index.php?a=12932

Komodo Rock Talks With Duff McKagan

Tuesday, 28 April 2009

http://www.komodorock.com/interviews/interviews/komodo-rock-talks-with-duff-mckagan-2009042811698/

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2009, 02:57:43 PM »

EX-GUNS N' ROSES AND VELVET REVOLVER'S DUFF McKAGAN LOADED

May 01, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w9DrdRC2YI

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2009, 03:17:07 PM »

Duff McKagan tends to Loaded, search for Velvet Revolver singer continues

Published May 1, 2009

After rising to fame as a member of Guns N' Roses, and co-founding Grammy-winning rock outfit Velvet Revolver, bassist Duff McKagan is now focusing on his solo band, Loaded.

"We made a great record and that's success to me," McKagan said during an interview with LiveDaily while discussing Loaded's recently released album, "Sick." "If this band can get to the point where we're selling out 500-, 800-seat clubs in the States, that would be something. The bar is attainable. I'm not nervous. I know this band. I know the guys in the band. We're best friends and we're going to have a killer time on the road."

"Sick" marks the first full-length studio album in eight years from the band McKagan formed in 1998 and grouped up with again in 2001. Duff McKagan's Loaded [ tickets ] released "Live Episode" in 1999 and "Dark Days" in 2001, before other commitments meant Loaded was put on the back burner to some extent, although the band never split up. McKagan, who co-penned the new album with the rest of his punk-influenced band, named the album "Sick" simply because it was the first song that was written.

"'Sick' is an older song we wrote back in 2002," McKagan said. "That was sort of the cornerstone for us to start the record on. It kind of gave us a direction. We sort of go in that direction, but we veer off on 'Mother's Day' and 'Wasted Heart.' But all of the songs have a theme. It's hard, but it's also kind of dark and melancholy. There's glimpses of hope on the record. It's just like life."

McKagan said he is always writing, whether it's music for his bands or his columns that he writes for SeattleWeekly.com or Playboy.com.

"I always write songs, that's what I do," he said. "While people are thinking about going to work the next day, I'm thinking about what song I'm going to write. I'm in a very creative period in my life. I have two columns that I write every week and I'm writing music all the time. "

While he is pushing Loaded, McKagan and Velvet Revolver are continuing to look for a new lead singer for that band. Scott Weiland exited Velvet Revolver on bad terms a year ago.

"It's OK that we haven't found somebody right now because I'm able to do this," McKagan said. "But, yes, we certainly are looking. We will find the right guy."

http://www.livedaily.com/news/18948.html

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2009, 03:24:01 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SQQNn4f5hU&feature=related

FULL Dust N Bones

Fucking amazing

metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2009, 01:56:34 AM »

Got the CD today, and it came with a poster and bonus DVD featuring a live gig and the webisodes.

Gotta hand it to Duff too, the packaging and artwork is all very fuckin' cool. As for the CD itself, I've only listened through once, and it's probably Duff's strongest work out of all of his solo stuff. Some very catchy melodies there and the production is top notch.

I highly recommend it to anyone who'd thinking about picking it up. ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
mojoeye
Banned
Headliner

Everything is true, always.

« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2009, 09:37:10 AM »

Solid rock n' roll record.
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #138 on: May 04, 2009, 10:08:47 AM »

Bought it on iTunes this morning, and I like it, but how come we don't get a digital booklet or something ?

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2009, 09:38:55 AM »

Duff McKagan a rock 'n' roll renaissance man

May 4, 2009

By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Duff McKagan is a good advertisement for the benefits of drug rehab.

Trim and toned, with a full head of blond hair and a perfectly alert brain somewhere underneath, the former Guns N' Roses bass player is lucky that he made it to 45.

In the early 1990s, when Guns N' Roses were arguably the biggest rock group in the world, McKagan participated in the requisite debauchery with his hell-raising bandmates. There are lots of good stories, but he can't remember many of them.

"I've heard great stories of (stuff) I've done, told by some pretty fascinating people," he said in a recent interview with Reuters. "(Queen guitarist) Brian May (said), 'Hey man remember that time?' Elton John told me this great story."

As the band's punk-rock spirit, McKagan bore an eerie resemblance to Sid Vicious, the former Sex Pistol who died of a heroin overdose in 1979. It looked as if McKagan might go the same way, especially after his pancreas exploded in 1994.

But McKagan cleaned up his act, and quit the crumbling band a few years later.

When it occurred to him that he was a wealthy man with no financial experience, he enrolled for a business degree at Seattle University. He remains a couple of credits shy of graduating, but has put his knowledge to good use. He writes a finance column for Playboy called "Duffonomics," and expounds easily on the big economic issues of the day.

"OLD SCHOOL" INVESTOR

Rock 'n' roll's version of American personal-finance guru Suze Orman describes his investment style as "old school," aimed at providing him with a comfortable retirement.

"People probably assume I have a lot more money than I have, and I think that's true with a lot of musicians who've been successful," he said. "We've generated a ton of dough. A ton! But nobody knows exactly how much I'm taking home, or anybody else is taking home."

His advice for shell-shocked investors? Real estate, and beaten-up sectors such as the Pacific Rim and financials.

But there's more to life than spreadsheets and textbooks, and McKagan is seeking a third shot at rock 'n' roll glory.

After Guns N' Roses imploded he formed a new band with fellow Guns survivors Slash and Matt Sorum. Velvet Revolver's debut album sold millions and won a Grammy. The follow-up was less successful, and the band fired vocalist Scott Weiland a year ago amid long-simmering tensions.

With Velvet Revolver on hiatus, McKagan has teamed up with three little-known musicians from his Seattle hometown to resurrect his side project, modestly dubbed Duff McKagan's Loaded. The band is now touring clubs to promote its new album "Sick" (Century Media Records).

McKagan has swapped his bass for a guitar, and takes on the lead vocals. During Guns N' Roses concerts, he would often perform an old punk song for the masses, and he sings a wistful tribute to dead punk rocker Johnny Thunders on their 1991 double album "Use Your Illusion."

With its aggressive riffs, "Sick" inevitably bears some Guns residue, as well as traces of McKagan's punk-rock heroes like Iggy Pop. The lyrics seem to fall into two camps: either he loves you or hates you.

DRUG RELAPSE

Before anyone asks, McKagan assures that none of the venomous songs are directed either at Axl Rose, the sole original member left in Guns N' Roses, or at Weiland.

"I am a grown-up, sort of. I'm not that vitriolic. When they (bad things) happen I try to deal with them as they happen, and exorcise that demon as it goes."

One song is particularly personal. McKagan got hooked on prescription drugs three-and-a-half years ago, and "Boom! I was off to the races. It knocked me off my feet, man. Guys like me, once you start thinking you're bulletproof that's when it gets really dangerous. I learned a great lesson from it. I let myself down. I let my whole family down. It killed me."

He teamed with his friend Trey Bruce, a Nashville songwriter, to write "Wasted Heart," in which he pays tribute to his wife, Susan, for saving his "outlaw soul."

The album was recorded in just nine days for $20,000, but McKagan sees his band as more than a fun diversion. He still lives for that perfect concert, that perfect song.

"Have you ever seen that picture of Iggy standing on top of people? That's the gig you have every once in a while that keeps you. I'm still kind of a young whippersnapper and I can go out and do it."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUKTRE5435OC20090504?sp=true

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: