Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:45:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Billboard Exclusive: Axl Rose Speaks
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billboard Exclusive: Axl Rose Speaks  (Read 77424 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: February 06, 2009, 12:19:42 AM »

Axl Rose Speaks

In his first major interview in nine years, the Guns N' Roses frontman talks about his band, his label and finally releasing "Chinese Democracy."

By Jonathan Cohen

It's been nine years since Axl Rose gave a substantial print interview. For all that time and more, he's been working on the album "Chinese Democracy," which finally arrived in late November.

It was an arduous process, to say the least. Guns N' Roses haven't released a new song since 1999 or an album since a 1993 set of covers. Since then, Rose has toured sporadically, worked with a rotating cast of musicians -- he owns the Guns N' Roses name, according to his attorney, Laurie Soriano -- and recorded numerous versions of the same new songs. According to a 2005 article in the New York Times, Universal Music Group had spent $13 million on "Chinese Democracy" by then.

The album came out in the United States as a Best Buy retail exclusive and debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 261,000, according to Nielsen SoundScan. To date, it has sold 537,000 copies in the States, far fewer than the 1.3 million that Best Buy bought upfront, according to the Wall Street Journal. But the album has sold 2.6 million copies worldwide, according to Universal -- a number that counts only retail purchases -- and the company plans to start promoting another single soon.

Some industry executives have blamed the album's disappointing sales on Rose, who hasn't made a video, announced a tour or given interviews. Others point to Best Buy, claiming the chain didn't make the album as visible as last year's other major retail exclusive, AC/DC's "Black Ice," which was sold only at Wal-Mart. Until now, Rose himself has remained silent, except for a series of postings on some Guns N' Roses fan Web sites.

That doesn't mean he doesn't have plenty to say -- about his new album, his former bandmates and his label, Interscope, a subsidiary of Universal. (The label declined to comment.) Rose answered two series of questions via e-mail, in which he discussed for the first time the events surrounding the release of "Chinese Democracy" and his frustrations with Interscope.

In a separate phone interview, longtime Guns N' Roses (and former Replacements) bassist Tommy Stinson echoed Rose's sentiments. Rose's answers appear here almost exactly as he sent them, edited only for grammar, length and clarity.

The obvious question: Why talk now? Rose says he "felt it was a good time to address some of these issues publicly."

Some people thought "Chinese Democracy" would never come out. Were there times during the making of the album when you felt that way yourself?

Axl Rose: Not so much that it wouldn't come out but that we could in some way legally be forced to release it either incomplete or with so many business areas unresolved that the beginning would be the end as well.

Without sounding presumptuous, what took so long to get the album out?

And without sounding facetious, what didn't? There aren't too many issues of the hundreds [we ran into] that happened as quickly as anyone would have preferred, from building my studio; finding the right players; never did find a producer; still don't have real record company involvement or support; to getting it out and mixed and mastered.

All that aside, it's the right record and I couldn't ask for more in that regard. Could have been a more enjoyable journey, but it's there now. The art comes first. It dictates if not the course [then] the destination artistically.

For me, once the real accompanying artwork is there with a few videos and some touring, the package was achieved and delivered.

And to do so at this level in terms of quality, both artistic and performance-wise, both on record and live, is something that's a miracle at minimum and something that wouldn't have happened, no matter how anyone tries to convince others, with old Guns, regardless of anyone's intentions. It was just as ugly in old Guns, regardless of our success.

What were your expectations in terms of what Best Buy would do to promote the album?

Best Buy has been great. Going with Best Buy was a way to work out a deal with Universal and we were fortunate enough to work with Irving [Azoff, as manager] and deal more directly with Universal. I've asked for information regarding their role in working the record but that hasn't come yet so I'm not able to tell what Universal has or hasn't done, although Zach [Horowitz, Universal Music Group president/COO], or whoever's behind the international efforts, is doing great. It's more than appreciated and a welcome relief.

Unfortunately [going with Best Buy] didn't change us having to rely on Interscope as much as we'd hoped. The opinions expressed or "jumped" on publicly regarding promotion seem to be [about] my or our involvement with mainstream media -- talk shows, rock magazines and dot-coms -- which have generally held negative public stances toward myself or the band for years, [and they] unfortunately have not been resolved. Efforts are being made to understand the relationships and evaluate how best to proceed.

Our focus was in getting the record deal done while finishing the album, which hit many an unexpected bump or sinkhole in the road right up until the actual release. We never intended a huge public rollout, especially without resolving certain issues, and no one ever suggested us doing so, though Interscope's communications with Best Buy in these areas may not have been as clear as anyone would have preferred.

Our approach, for better or worse, has always been to work the record over the course of the following tour cycles, with attempts to forge new or better and hopefully redefined relationships with the different forms of media that may be interested along the way. In regard to our promotion, it was based around certain agreements with Universal, Interscope, our management and legal [teams] that unfortunately never happened. I won't get into specifics but am beginning to address some of those issues in my own way as opposed to "working together," and we'll see how that plays out.

Continue reading: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/specials/axl-speaks/interview.shtml

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 12:28:43 AM »

Nice find, did that just appear?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 12:31:29 AM »

Nice find, did that just appear?

It's up on their homepage

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/index.jsp

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 12:36:07 AM »

Thanks man.  You are always on top of the news with GN'R.  Do you have Google Alerts or something? Smiley

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 12:43:01 AM »

They mentioned a Tommy interview as well.  I hope they put that up.  I'd like to hear the General's thoughts on all this.

Ali
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 12:43:50 AM »

I love out of nowhere press releases. some interesting stuff

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 12:54:19 AM »

Axl said theres no plans for tour so i guess we wont be seeing them in the summer like brain said
efish
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 12:54:47 AM »

That was great to read. So that settles it, no slash and axl reunion for life... ever. Hopefully this will shut down the reunion nonsense for good. Gotta love the way Axl speaks, the man's brilliant.

Looking forward to more of these interviews, hopefully some talk shows.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 12:55:22 AM »

You tell 'em, Axl!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 12:57:50 AM »

Axl said theres no plans for tour so i guess we wont be seeing them in the summer like brain said
I would take the comment from Brain as tentative plans, nothing concrete.  Axl said the tour plans were being discussed but nothing is set.  So it's possible Axl could've asked Brain if he'd like to tour when the time comes, aka Summer.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 12:58:15 AM »

He said he would consider doing something with Duff other than Izzy. Thats a new piece of info. Sounds like the record company has fucked the band over the years. Hopefully they can eith repair their relationship or find a new company that can work with them. Sounds like Axl wants to properly promote the album and not hide.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Ali
Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 12:58:27 AM »

I wouldn't assume that.  Brain may have jumped the gun, but I'd be willing to bet that when GN'R hits the road later this year, he'll be there.  I highly doubt he would've sent the e-mail otherwise.

Ali
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 12:59:23 AM »

Correct. Just like I mentioned a few hours ago, it was only a rumor...kinda sucks, right?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 01:02:42 AM »

Correct. Just like I mentioned a few hours ago, it was only a rumor...kinda sucks, right?
It was always just a rumor.  I don't think anyone was claiming otherwise.  And it's still a rumor, nothing has changed.

ecwfan
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 01:10:35 AM »

It seems like things could be happening re-release wise. Like whoever the fuck is moving the album overseas  (2.6 million copies) seems to have made the label think...ok this needs more promotion. its amazing they didn't wanna do a video til this happened.
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 02:19:57 AM »

rofl  slash is sickening!  gotta love axl man.  that guy just tells it like it is, and doesn't give a fuck what anybody thinks.  god bless him.

and universal can serioiusly go to hell.  just like the members of the press, they have worked their hardest to sabotage axl and tear him down.  i don't think there's much i hate in this world, but i officially hate universal (domestic, not international who did a good job).
Ali
Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 02:24:58 AM »

rofl  slash is sickening!  gotta love axl man.  that guy just tells it like it is, and doesn't give a fuck what anybody thinks.  god bless him.

and universal can serioiusly go to hell.  just like the members of the press, they have worked their hardest to sabotage axl and tear him down.  i don't think there's much i hate in this world, but i officially hate universal (domestic, not international who did a good job).

I took that comment to mean that he finds it sickening that some "fans" would want him to reunite with Slash for their entertainment regardless of the history between the two men.

Ali
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 02:28:32 AM »

I took that comment to mean that he finds it sickening that some "fans" would want him to reunite with Slash for their entertainment regardless of the history between the two men.

Ali

yeah, maybe.  but i can see why fans of those two would want to see them play together.  that just makes simple sense.  i'm a fan of axl, finck, pitman, frank, fortus, bbf, dizzy and tommy so i want to see them play together.  even if one day they got mad at each other.  they're still my favorite band.

i choose to read it as axl saying slash is sickening, which honestly i can understand axl feeling that way since slash has lied about him and tried to manipulate the media to be critical of him.
sworrm
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 02:40:26 AM »

Im pleased there wont be a reunion . I think future music will be more interesting with the new guys , than any old school 80s rock that Slash writes
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 02:46:44 AM »

"In regards to Slash, I read a desperate fan's message about, what if one of us were to die and looking back I had the possibility of a reunion now, blah blah blah. And my thoughts are, "Yeah, and while you're at the show your baby accidentally kicks a candle and burns your house down, killing himself and the rest of your family."

Give me a fucking break. What's clear is that one of the two of us will die before a reunion and however sad, ugly or unfortunate anyone views it, it is how it is. Those decisions were made a long time ago and reiterated year after year by one man."

that was (still!) fucking bitter, so there goes any re-union!!

Re-Union time, baby!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: