Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 08:22:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227976 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  MTV's Greatest albums..(Updated with Results)..
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: MTV's Greatest albums..(Updated with Results)..  (Read 7547 times)
demanding_GNR_rock
Headliner

« on: March 04, 2009, 03:56:02 PM »

GN'R (Appetite) on the shortlist for greatest album of the MTv generation.

Vote here http://www.mtv.co.uk/entertainment/greatest-album-ever/competition/mtvs-greatest-album-ever

Not in bad company really remembering this is MTV Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:47:56 PM by demanding_GNR_rock » Logged
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 05:51:27 PM »

This is a vote people.... so get on it.  ok

Half those albums I would dismiss as out of their league, but some of them are obvious gems.
It's clearly an MTV generation list only, and clearly UK. Either way, let's get Appetite to win!  Cool
Josh
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 06:12:45 PM »

This is a vote people.... so get on it.  ok

Half those albums I would dismiss as out of their league, but some of them are obvious gems.
It's clearly an MTV generation list only, and clearly UK. Either way, let's get Appetite to win!  Cool

Yeah I agree.  Nirvana, Radiohead, U2, MJ and several others belong there, but who the fuck are the Arctic Monkeys?  And two Oasis albums?  lol only in the UK. 
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 06:39:46 PM »

Hmmm... I voted for Appetite but, if Chinese Democracy was on this list as it really fucking should be (If the media would  be honest for one fucking moment and pull their head out of their ass) I would have voted for that instead. Yea, you just read that right. I think Chinese Democracy, is a more timeless masterpiece. Appetite is the greatest Hard Rock album ever. Chinese is the best overall.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 06:52:05 PM »

Hmmm... I voted for Appetite but, if Chinese Democracy was on this list as it really fucking should be (If the media would  be honest for one fucking moment and pull their head out of their ass) I would have voted for that instead. Yea, you just read that right. I think Chinese Democracy, is a more timeless masterpiece. Appetite is the greatest Hard Rock album ever. Chinese is the best overall.

To each their own, but 'Appetite' changed my life. 'Chinese Democracy', while a very good and solid album in its' own right, doesn't have the same emotional "OOOOMPH" for me.

'Appetite' deserves to win that poll in a landslide, but who knows what those crazy Brits are thinking? It surprises me a little that Def Leppard's 'Pyromania' wasn't on there.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »

I would never try to tell u how to feel. As a Red Hot Chili Pepper fan, I get it all the time when I say I think By The Way and Stadium Arcadium are better than Blood sugar sex magik

So I understand liking CD better than Appetite.

However

U have to think on a global level though and which had the greater impact.

Biased Id say

Appetite
Purple Rain
Thriller

But its very hard to argue against Micheal Jackson's Thriller. Especially if we are talking MTV

Nevermind also..... Music sucks today and I blame it all on Nirvana cause what Nirvana did was, they made it cool for people with medicore talent to start bands and dumb down the guitar/melody and even vocals to a degree  which is why there are very few new rock guitar gods or awesome frontmen if any since the 80's early 90's.

whereas guitar player teens in the late 70's early 80's were influenced by legends like Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Iommi,Blackmore, Page, Richards, Perry, Van Halen etc etc etc

kids today are influenced by a lot of the medicore nu metalish stuff emo stuff and I trace it back to Cobain who was very influential.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:23:48 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 08:36:28 PM »

I would never try to tell u how to feel. As a Red Hot Chili Pepper fan, I get it all the time when I say I think By The Way and Stadium Arcadium are better than Blood sugar sex magik

However

Biased Id say

Appetite
Purple Rain
Thriller

But its very hard to argue against Micheal Jackson's Thriller. Especially if we are talking MTV

Nevermind also..... Music sucks today and I blame it all on Nirvana cause what Nirvana did was, they made it cool for people with medicore talent to start bands and dumb down the guitar/melody and even vocals to a degree  which is why there are very few new rock guitar gods or awesome frontmen if any since the 80's early 90's.

whereas guitar player teens in the late 70's early 80's were influenced by legends like Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Iommi,Blackmore, Page, Richards, Perry, Van Halen etc etc etc

kids today are influenced by a lot of the medicore nu metalish stuff emo stuff and I trace it back to Cobain who was very influential.

I don't think it's something we can blame on Nirvana, they were a talented band, but you're right about the scope of their influence and the change it signaled. Also because of Cobain, Axl was in many ways the last real rock star. The whole mindset shifted with Kurt, redefining what was cool (oddly enough, his suicide did nothing to alter this). I love Nirvana and thought Kurt was a great songwriter and vocalist, but I never really understood the shift in cool. I read a quote by Steven Tyler once in the 90s where he said something like that his band was into having sex and the newer bands were into masturbation... and i thought that kind of hit on the difference. Regardless of music it just became about rock star light. Everyman frontman. Interestingly, Axl was the last pre-cobain rock star and he may soon emerge as the first post-cobain rock star also.

I agree. Maybe it will hit these lists someday.
But yeah, Chinese is the first album in a long long time to have this effect on me. I hoped it would, but I'm still kind of shocked that it actually has.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:47:02 PM by Skunk » Logged
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 01:32:33 AM »

To each their own, but 'Appetite' changed my life. 'Chinese Democracy', while a very good and solid album in its' own right, doesn't have the same emotional "OOOOMPH" for me.

'Appetite' deserves to win that poll in a landslide, but who knows what those crazy Brits are thinking? It surprises me a little that Def Leppard's 'Pyromania' wasn't on there.

Dude look. I am certainly not disputing Appetite's impact. It changed your life. It saved my, at least as a dumbfuck teenager I thought it did. It was something I really needed at the time, and I was in a really confusing situation and was depressed as fuck. Appetite pulled me out of it. It helped to. I am not taking a thing away from it and what it means to me a personal level. But, when I listen to it now, and the place I am in my life, it sounds a bit dated. I can't relate to much of it that I did on a deep level, and felt this connection to it. I lived in L.A. and everything about the music just punched me in the face. It was an awakening. But, it sounds a bit dated. I think when Axl said he rerecorded it. I was never the purist that flipped the fuck out like these Watchmen purists screaming "Oh my god there isn't the ending with the squid!" I totally got what Axl said about some of the dated sound and mix. He gave a couple examples I know, and he is of course right.

Chinese Democracy is this timeless beautiful beast though. It is amazing to me it isn't being perceived like this for everyone.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Classic Case
Rocker

I know that I'm a classic case

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 01:38:51 AM »

voted!  ok
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 09:48:36 AM »

For what its worth, Ive voted  ok

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 09:56:14 AM »

Done.

yeah buddha me too would have voted for cd without a moment of hesitation if it had been there.

@Josh

Arctic Monkeys are a even better band than many that listed.
demanding_GNR_rock
Headliner

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 01:18:13 PM »

Arctic Monkeys were the wildest thing to happen this side of the millennium in the uk, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. The hype was massive and well deserved imo, Oasis...  proper classic. All brit rock mind you,

All that said i still voted GNR,

You can vote as many time as you want also..... 

Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 04:50:07 PM »

KEEP VOTING!  Angry

Grin
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 02:32:14 PM »

To quote how the show ended.  "Axl, Duff, Izzy, and slash have NEVER rocked that hard"  and they never will again.  Of course some on this board think CD is the best album ever written ever. But in reality, its a very good album, and thats about it.  The name will always be asscociated with that line up and that album. A few members on these boards will never change that.  Axl himself knows it.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 05:42:01 PM »

To quote how the show ended. 

the world will end in 2012, right? or was it in 1999?  hihi
PolarBearWitchHead
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 05:59:33 PM »

However

Biased Id say

Appetite
Purple Rain
Thriller

I don't think it's something we can blame on Nirvana, they were a talented band, but you're right about the scope of their influence and the change it signaled. Also because of Cobain, Axl was in many ways the last real rock star. The whole mindset shifted with Kurt, redefining what was cool (oddly enough, his suicide did nothing to alter this). I love Nirvana and thought Kurt was a great songwriter and vocalist, but I never really understood the shift in cool. I read a quote by Steven Tyler once in the 90s where he said something like that his band was into having sex and the newer bands were into masturbation... and i thought that kind of hit on the difference. Regardless of music it just became about rock star light. Everyman frontman. Interestingly, Axl was the last pre-cobain rock star and he may soon emerge as the first post-cobain rock star also.

I agree. Maybe it will hit these lists someday.
But yeah, Chinese is the first album in a long long time to have this effect on me. I hoped it would, but I'm still kind of shocked that it actually has.

not to be argumentative, but there have been more than a few post-cobain rock stars
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 02:26:51 AM »

not to be argumentative, but there have been more than a few post-cobain rock stars

I know, and i'm obviously over-simplifying in a big way. I just mean to say that Axl seemed the last of a certain type of frontman on a massive level of fame. His place in history is clear and chronological. Something happens in the 90s, and while Kurt doesn't do it by himself, it's interesting to ponder the role he played. At the same time was the emergence of hip-hop to it's mainstream media potential, and the beginnings of a media and communications boom that forever changes how fame works. I think the way media has changed and increased allows for more stars, but limits the height of the biggest ones. I think the kind of fame Michael Jackson had for example, is in some ways a thing of the past, and in the same way, I think Axl in the early 90s was about as big as any rock frontman could get, and bigger than any since.
A lot of the shift I'm imagining I think has to do with stage-presence. When I see Axl live, he commands the stage in a way that I only see from him and frontmen before him. Which isn't to say that there aren't huge rock stars who came after him and command a stage in a big way, but it's in a different way. Maybe that's just me, but to use examples I think Axl belongs in a group with Bono, Tyler, Jagger, etc. Then after him I think there's a shift and you get guys like Vedder, Grohl, Maynard, who are all great, but different in their approach. Less swagger, more pain maybe, it's hard to pinpoint what it is. I just know that it's the kind of thing that influence effects, like how Pete Townsend spawned generations of guitarists with windmill arms. So in that sense I think Axl was the culmination of a certain type of influence, and I think Cobain was the first fully mainstream, and therefore hugely influential, example of a different type of influence.

If that makes sense to anyone cool... if not then yeah, there have been rock stars since cobain, I just mean Axl rocks the best.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 02:29:19 AM by Skunk » Logged
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 04:47:22 AM »

Skunk has a point, I can see were he is coming from.  I generally hate when a frontman plays an instrument with the exception of a few such as Hetfield, phil lynott and maybe hendrix.  My favourite frontmen usually run all over the stage like Axl, ozzy, steven tyler etc

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 12:20:30 PM »

I love the fact only axl is who I'm kjeen on among your fav frontmen, jac.  rofl

nayhoo

it appears the voting's still on. vote people vote!
demanding_GNR_rock
Headliner

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 02:03:38 PM »

^Assuming its open till the 11th,

In response to earlier post Bono has gone way down hill as a frontman.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: