Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 06:35:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion  (Read 188688 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #740 on: January 25, 2010, 02:04:35 PM »

Brett Favre!

Oh whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

He should have at least let Longwell choke on the kick rather than having that be his last pass ever.  Yes, he has slowed down considerably and was badly abused and hurting during the game, but I'm guessing he could have gotten 5 yards on a run.  It's better than nothing!

That 5 yards takes them from edge of FG range, to within FG range.  The announcers had just talked about the fact they were in range...and then they lost 5 yards and were right back out of it.  He scrambles...he's got 10 to 15 yards of daylight all around.  He's going to get at least 5, maybe 7 and still have time to scramble out of bounds.

He does that, I'd put my money on them winning that game.  They'd at least have a damn site better chance than they did.

And that's coming from a freaking GIANTS fan!!

But the fumbles cost the Vikings a trip to Miami.  There are no excuses for what they did.

Agreed. Somebody either buttered their gloves, smeared motor oil all over the ball when the Vikings were on offense, or their coaching staff needs to work MIGHTILY on hand strength and coordination in the off season.

But what sunk them, at the end of the day, was Favre regressing to "Favre of old" instead of sticking with "reinvented Farve".

I will give the Saints some credit for capitalizing on the mistakes, but they didn't play well AT ALL.  The Vikings were saying, "Here you go guys, take this game.  We don't want it."  The Saints were replying with, "Nah dawg, we straight."

They DID do that...mostly on offense (again, the D only recovered 3 of the 6 fumbles and one of the INT's was, IMHO, a "gimmie").  But when the Vikings turned the ball over, the Saints managed to put up points.  And that's why they're playing in their first Super Bowl and Favre will be watching it from his farm.

The reviews were highly questionable!  The lack of a flag for the hit on Favre that sent him on the trainers table made me furrow my brow.  The PI in OT was definitely one of those WTF? moments.

The reviews during the OT were just bad.  The Pass Interference call was somewhat bogus (no way that pass was catchable).  The First Down review looked like he obviously lost possession and regained it BEHIND the down marker.  No forward progress should have been awarded, since he didn't have control of the ball when he crossed the line.  The "catch" was the only one that looked like it might be legit.  On first watch, it looked like a trap.  On review...he might have trapped it against his leg FIRST, then hit the ground.  It was a close enough play that I can see how you couldn't reverse it based on the video evidence.

Oh well, it was a great season.  And 2 trips to the championship game in 3 years is darned good. 

Go Colts, I guess.  Undecided

Let's help maintain the status quo and quash the WHO DAT contingency. 

I don't know who I'm going to root for.  Eli's brother (the Mannings seem to own the championship trophy, lately) or the city of New Orleans.  It's a tough call......

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #741 on: January 25, 2010, 05:05:49 PM »

To me, no way the defense gets credit for an "unforced error".

There were, IMHO, WAY more drops than strips/hard hits.  Of the six, I can think of two that the defense might have had a (literal) hand in.  I'll have to look back, but I don't think they actually recovered either one of them....maybe one, though.

With 6 fumbles, it's hard to keep track, but as far as the 3 the Saints recovered, I think the 2 other than AP's handoff muff were strips. 

Favre made a bad play at the end there, but I thought he played well overall considering he was getting absolutely murdered out there (was it 15 hits in all?).  I also wouldn't go so far as to say that last play cost them the game.  With a seriously injured ankle, he's getting 5 yards on a scramble tops.  That would be a 52-yarder for Ryan Longwell, who... let me check... is 61% for his career over 50 yards.  Wow... nevermind.

I think this was Bill213 --- http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/shocker_cops_taser_jet_fan_h3GlWKllBM6uplf0dOyc5K
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #742 on: January 25, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »

First off Joe buck is a fucking idiot. Favre in no way had 15 yards of daylight, so please people, stop spouting that bullshit
2nd.. did u guys forget that the man could barely walk off the field? How the hell is he going to run 15 yards?

Watch the final play on Youtube, a Saint linebacker is parked on the 30 yard line, watching Favre and ready to pursue the first hint of a scramble. Granted Bernard Berrian was open on the sideline at the 30 but he was out of Favre's line of sight and Sidney Rice has been Favre's go to guy all season. I think they should've ran a screen pass personally.

I hear people talking about Favre's pick like it was a damn pick 6 or something....... Lets say Favre throws an incomplete pass there.. They aren't trying a 55 yard FG cause if they miss, NO would have time to complete one pass and kick a game winning FG, so chances are, it goes to OT anyway.

If Peterson doesn't close his arms too early they have a TD.. If Harvin doesn't fumble, NO don't score an easy TD, if Berrian Doesn't fumble, Minnesota get an easy TD
that is 3tds off the board that were not Favre's fault.

Also, don't forget that 1st and 10 on the 33, if Adrian Peterson and his overrated ass can gain any yardage on 1st and 2nd down, Favre isn't in that position to pass anyway, not to mention the 12 men in the huddle penalty.

so blame Favre all u want, it just isn't fair or right to do so. He gets some blame don't get me wrong, but not this BS.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 05:59:38 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #743 on: January 25, 2010, 06:00:49 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smhiIIekc8g&NR=1

Pause at 1:30 and tell me where Favre had 15yrds of daylight.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #744 on: January 25, 2010, 06:52:25 PM »

I agree Favre doesn't deserve blame for the loss, but you can't deny how awful a pass that was that he made.  And it's one he's made throughout his entire career.  Before the game in his interview with Pam Oliver she asked him what the difference was this season and why he had his best statistical season.  He replied that he's learned a thing or two over the years and has gotten smarter.  That play nullified that statement as it was the same STUPID pass he's tried to make his entire career.  He never learned that it's not a smart throw to make.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #745 on: January 25, 2010, 06:53:30 PM »

I agreed till I watched replays

watch it again real real close

sidney is OPEN but when he goes to get the football, he slips allowing the NO defender to go in front and pick it.

watch what I posted above.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #746 on: January 25, 2010, 06:54:52 PM »

I hear people talking about Favre's pick like it was a damn pick 6 or something....... Lets say Favre throws an incomplete pass there.. They aren't trying a 55 yard FG cause if they miss, NO would have time to complete one pass and kick a game winning FG, so chances are, it goes to OT anyway.

No, they'd definitely attempt the kick, they'd be crazy not to, especially with Longwell's history.  Saints had no timeouts.  With 13 seconds left, all NO would have been able to do was try a 30-yard sideline completion and a field goal.  Attempting a sideline pass in that situation when they know that's all you can do (other than a Hail Mary) is almost impossible and has Pick-6 written all over it.

You're right about all the fuck-ups leading up to that play.  And, yes, the game was still tied, going into OT, upon which (1) the coin toss, (2) kickoff coverage, and (3) the refs killed them.  But, as far as that play goes, Favre's pick killed Minny's chances of winning the game in regulation.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #747 on: January 25, 2010, 06:57:32 PM »

yeah but saying that excuses everything that happened before that pick.

that play was bad, but to solely blame Favre for the loss is wrong cause many others had just a big a hand in that loss.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #748 on: January 25, 2010, 06:58:20 PM »

Id be very happy if people would watch that YouTube video and just post and admit that Joe Buck is a fucking retard and there is no way Favre had 10 to 15 yards of daylight

Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #749 on: January 25, 2010, 07:00:07 PM »

It sucks that Brett Favre threw the interception. Somehow I just thought he was going get the win and head to the Superbowl. It's looking doubtful right now, but I do hope he return next season and go for it again.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #750 on: January 25, 2010, 07:01:54 PM »

just post and admit that Joe Buck is a fucking retard and there is no way Favre had 10 to 15 yards of daylight

D, it takes looking at the video to realize and admit that he's a retard? No way! You have my vote already!

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #751 on: January 25, 2010, 07:05:11 PM »

just post and admit that Joe Buck is a fucking retard and there is no way Favre had 10 to 15 yards of daylight

D, it takes looking at the video to realize and admit that he's a retard? No way! You have my vote already!

dude, u have no idea how many people I've heard spew that garbage at me verbatim what Joe Buck said when trying to argue with me about this, it makes me want to put my fist through my computer.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #752 on: January 25, 2010, 07:21:06 PM »

I agreed till I watched replays

watch it again real real close

sidney is OPEN but when he goes to get the football, he slips allowing the NO defender to go in front and pick it.

watch what I posted above.
He still threw across his body to the other side of the field.  QB 101 itells you to NEVER do that.  More often than not, bad things will happen.  And that's exactly what happened, regardless of who was open, who slipped, what have you.  That pass should not have been thrown.  He's gotten away with some of those in his career, but that's bound to happen when you take as many chances and make as many stupid decisions as he has.  Unfortuantely he was put in a position where he needed to try and make a play, so he did.  Just didn't work out.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #753 on: January 25, 2010, 07:24:59 PM »

My point is, people are acting like that INT lost the game and in reality it didnt

Favre had Berrian open at the 30 but lets be honest, he was out of Favre's peripheral vision... and at that point, he has to throw the ball. Rice was open when it left his hand.

If Favre gets sacked, throws an incomplete pass or tries to run.. Minnesota still have to attempt a super long FG which i doubt they'd make anyway

people seriously are acting like Favre threw a pick 6

Minnesota had ample tries in OT to stop NO on third down.. that pass interference call was criminal.

I said on Twitter and Skip borrowed it from me today on First and Ten.. FG's should be outlawed in the playoffs in OT. make the team score a TD.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #754 on: January 25, 2010, 07:28:32 PM »

That's because a lot of people LOVE to HATE Brett Favre.  His haters have been waiting all season to say, "see, I told you so."  And this is their moment to bask in the glory.  Obviously there was a lot more that went into the Vikings losing that game yesterday, but the lights always shine brighter on a guy like Favre.  Any mistakes he makes are going to be magnified.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #755 on: January 25, 2010, 07:33:30 PM »

That's because a lot of people LOVE to HATE Brett Favre.  His haters have been waiting all season to say, "see, I told you so."  And this is their moment to bask in the glory.  Obviously there was a lot more that went into the Vikings losing that game yesterday, but the lights always shine brighter on a guy like Favre.  Any mistakes he makes are going to be magnified.

Favre got the credit on the fumble but peterson clearly muffed the handoff. Harvin fumblng and Berrian fumbling were just horrible plays

on another drive NO scored on, the defensive back Johnson had a pick bounce right into his hands and he dropped it. Minnesota had one of their best CB's get hurt on Special Teams........... 12 men in the huddle

fuck, i am gonna blame Brad Childress and the coaching staff for a lot of that.

The play calling when they got to 1st and 10 on the 33..... they went completely conservative. Had NO on the ropes.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #756 on: January 25, 2010, 08:32:25 PM »

he has to throw the ball.
wrong. dead wrong. he didn't have to throw the ball. he should never have thrown that ball. even he said that.

he would have picked up AT LEAST 2 yards with a slide. he would have picked up AT LEAST 4 yards with some effort (running hard and diving). if he picks up 2 yards, the clock is still running, they call TO with 1 second left, and they have a 52 yard FG try. indoors. with a great K.

the saints deserve some credit. they got to farve and beat him up pretty well and him being tired was a factor at the end. also, they forced some of those fumbles, and a couple times this year Peter King has stated how the saints work on creating turnovers more than any other team in the league. one of the few teams to practice stripping the ball and picking up loose balls even during non-contact drills. berrian had that ball punched right out of his hands.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #757 on: January 25, 2010, 09:35:51 PM »

Well said...It's a tough call...he would have been the hero and #1 quarterback of all time instantly if buddy had of caught it and didnt slip...btw...Favre should come back and try for it again...he looked great this year and so did the Vikings

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #758 on: January 25, 2010, 10:11:17 PM »

once again Sandman, how could he have ran the ball? He was back at the 40 two Saints were at about the 31.. so yeah, maybe he makes it to the 35.. but Favre saw a wide open Sidney Rice... so a 52 yrd FG for the win? or a 40 yrd FG? Rice slipped, Porter made a great play on the ball.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #759 on: January 25, 2010, 11:01:03 PM »

Well said...It's a tough call...he would have been the hero and #1 quarterback of all time instantly if buddy had of caught it and didnt slip...btw...Favre should come back and try for it again...he looked great this year and so did the Vikings
I think Favre should come back too.  I think he has even more of a reason to than the past couple of years.  He had possibly his best season ever and was pretty much injury free until yesterday.  The Vikings seem to be a team on the rise, so they should be a contender again next season.  I don't see why he wouldn't come back.  Granted he is a year older and eventually Father Time is going to have the final say.  I just think he's in a better spot than he was the past 2 years, if he didn't retire then, why now?

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: