Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 02:49:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GUNS N' ROSES NAMES DJ ASHBA AS BAND'S NEWEST AXEMAN
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GUNS N' ROSES NAMES DJ ASHBA AS BAND'S NEWEST AXEMAN  (Read 247431 times)
Pinball Wizard
VIP

Hey, Apple!

« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2009, 10:21:14 PM »

Well, so far I didn't like it.

I've heard SoLA and BC and I think they are a huge piece of shit.

But I know very little about his guitar playing and, judging by what I know, I think his a regular guitar player, you can find others like him anywhere. Robin, on the other hand, he has a different style, a different approach that you don't see very often, IMHO. He's kinda like Slash on that matter.

Anyways, I wish him all the best on GN'R, and, even though they don't have nothing to prove to anyone, I hope to be proven wrong about this

Welcome onboard, dude! See you on the road!  beer

1 song in ten years dude!!!!!!!!! JESUS CHRIST. Robin wrote one song in 10 years.

hum...I'm reading my post and I didn't find anything about Robin's writing skills...

I do see something about his style and approach, and I think I saw enough to say what I said.

Plus, since you're talking about writing, did you hear everything he wrote in the past 10 years? Is everything he wrote in the past 10 years out there so everybody can listen? DID HE write anything else in the past 10 years for that matter? We don't know...that's why I didn't say anything about his writing skills.

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2009, 10:21:39 PM »

Well, so far I didn't like it.

I've heard SoLA and BC and I think they are a huge piece of shit.

But I know very little about his guitar playing and, judging by what I know, I think his a regular guitar player, you can find others like him anywhere. Robin, on the other hand, he has a different style, a different approach that you don't see very often, IMHO. He's kinda like Slash on that matter.

Anyways, I wish him all the best on GN'R, and, even though they don't have nothing to prove to anyone, I hope to be proven wrong about this

Welcome onboard, dude! See you on the road!  beer

1 song in ten years dude!!!!!!!!! JESUS CHRIST. Robin wrote one song in 10 years.

If I'm not wrong, Axl said Robin recorded material for upcoming albums.

With that said, how can you be so sure? What if there are other Robin's songs in the next albums?

Now you can breath deeply and quit bashing Robin. He's gone. Relax.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2009, 10:22:05 PM »

and fortus didn't write a single one in 7!!!!!!!!!!!!  Wink

I never claimed Fortus was great either.

What made Robin and Fortus great, is that they go nuts when playing the songs. Finck is all over the stage and Fortus has un real energy.

no doubt, they have great stage presence, but stage presence doesn't sell albums.  DJ has stage presence and can write the fuck out of a song.

I am absolutely excited, ecstatic, and extremely pleased with this  *If u couldn't already tell*

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2009, 10:23:59 PM »

Unfortunately I missed those too.
I'd say you can make a fairly accurate prediction of how/what he writes by listening to previous records. Thats at least what we were basing our arguments WITH D.

He hasn't written anything with GN'R yet, so I'd wait until he has before judging.

If D thinks DJ can write hits and shows you proof of that, you can't really deny it.

But you can't really say he's not good for GN'R for the above stated reason!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2009, 10:24:07 PM »

I guess we were talking about him writing for GN'R. Writing songs, which he has done previously.
Maybe I missed the gig...

Oh, I guess you heard the results of those supposed writing sessions?  Tongue

GN'R isn't Motley Crue.
I'd say you can make a fairly accurate prediction of how/what he writes by listening to previous records. Thats at least what we were basing our arguments WITH D.

I get where u are coming from Makane, but u can't cancel out the Axl factor. When writing for Motley, he has to write in the MOTLEY style.

so what if he writes in the GNR style?

My point is, the guy is an accomplished songwriter something very much lacking in GNR. now this isn't a diss on GNR guitar players, but lets be real about their Resumes for a moment.

no gnr guitarist has a hit to their credit in their entire careers.

DJ does and u put Axl's influence with him and it is untelling what kind of stuff we can get.

D, what you are saying is a slippery slope, should Axl have gotten Angus Young or Slash because they have been involved in a lot of hits too?  
GNRFAN20
« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2009, 10:24:17 PM »

It's on the official website

http://web.gunsnroses.com/index.jsp
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2009, 10:25:46 PM »

Listen guys

Its cool u are Robin fans

BUT

I live in a world of absolutes and what I know.

I know that Robin has ONE songwriting credit to his name.

Sure, maybe he has written 2000 songs, but if none are released, or none are hits, it really doesn't matter because GNR are a mainstream rock N Roll band.

GNR are not underground, GNR are not some coffee shop, indy, Cult band.

GNR are a mainstream BRAND

GNR need a guy who can be creative with Axl and reach the masses and help write some fucking hit songs.

Recording on a future album and Writing are two separate things.

Axl said in 99 when Robin left that they were able to push the music further.

u mix that with Tommy's interview and I just think Robin is a great live guitar player but not necessarily the big time riff writing song craftsman a band like GNR need to be on top of the world.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2009, 10:26:34 PM »

He hasn't written anything with GN'R yet, so I'd wait until he has before judging.

If D thinks DJ can write hits and shows you proof of that, you can't really deny it.

/jarmo

Jarmo, lets face it, D loves DJ because he has some decent chops and played with Nikki Sixx from Motley Crue, a band D loves, much like Bon Jovi.  Had Axl called on Richie Sambora all hell would have broken lose with D.  Right D?   Tongue  beer
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2009, 10:28:12 PM »

All this talk about song writing is taking things a bit ahead, don't you think?

The band hasn't toured in support of Chinese Democracy yet.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2009, 10:31:10 PM »

/jarmo

Agreed, just be glad we have a touring member so we can SEE GNR live.  I like the pick up, but I am just looking to the tour right now. 
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2009, 10:31:20 PM »

I guess we were talking about him writing for GN'R. Writing songs, which he has done previously.
Maybe I missed the gig...

Oh, I guess you heard the results of those supposed writing sessions?  Tongue

GN'R isn't Motley Crue.

I get where u are coming from Makane, but u can't cancel out the Axl factor. When writing for Motley, he has to write in the MOTLEY style.

so what if he writes in the GNR style?

My point is, the guy is an accomplished songwriter something very much lacking in GNR. now this isn't a diss on GNR guitar players, but lets be real about their Resumes for a moment.

no gnr guitarist has a hit to their credit in their entire careers.

DJ does and u put Axl's influence with him and it is untelling what kind of stuff we can get.

D, what you are saying is a slippery slope, should Axl have gotten Angus Young or Slash because they have been involved in a lot of hits too?  

I had a theory for years, that the reason CD took so long, was partly due to the material not being up to Axl's liking.

I still believe that, maybe I am wrong, maybe I am not, but I feel Axl made diamonds out of gravel pretty much and that is a honest to god testament of how talented Axl is to be able to do that.

Chinese Democracy, and I have said it since day one, lacks the big headbanging, hooky riffs that make u just throw your fist up and jump and get down.

This guy writes THOSE kinds of riffs and u throw in the Axl influence and it just has gold written all over it.

U mix in the guys stage presence, chops, looks and the fact he is somewhat under the radar.

People don't know of the hits he has written but he passes the eye test. This guy has that rockstar IT factor that will jive extremely well with Axl onstage.

he also has a shit load of credibility and I can see DJ on the radio doing interviews,press etc. This guy is also a super amazing nice cool dude.

This is strictly based on his writing skills for me and his tone/guitar style which I do love

He is very versatile and has a nice tone/melody to his playing

Richie Sambora would not fit in GNR hihi hihi
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:33:19 PM by D » Logged

makane
Legend

« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2009, 10:31:23 PM »

Yeah, maybe he could write hits, but does it in 2009 mean a "hit" song is actually a GOOD song?
Saying Life is beautiful and SoLA sold like hell, doesn't really imo prove that he has some magical writing skills.

At this point im dissapointed with him, but maybe he has some "superior GN'R abilities".

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2009, 10:31:30 PM »

The best player out there that would have "fit" is Doug Aldrich.  Period.  End of story.  If you don't know who he is, look him up, he has it all. Everything D could ever dream of. 

Doug could handle all three guitars and still blow away everyone! he is by far the best guitar player in the genre out there! and such a nice guy...

DJ Ashba is nothing compared to doug!

Chinese Democracy!
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2009, 10:31:48 PM »

/jarmo

Jarmo, was it Robin's decision not to return ?  

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2009, 10:34:16 PM »

The best player out there that would have "fit" is Doug Aldrich.  Period.  End of story.  If you don't know who he is, look him up, he has it all. Everything D could ever dream of. 

Doug could handle all three guitars and still blow away everyone! he is by far the best guitar player in the genre out there! and such a nice guy...

Maybe Doug didn't want the job?

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »

Meanbone, fuck yeah, you know who he is.  He is a MONSTER and on of the nicest guys in Rock today, bar none.  Doug in GNR would make GNR as big as they could be.  He smokes on the new Whitesnake album too.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2009, 10:35:55 PM »

WTF are you people babbling about writing for?  You just got an album and have an upcoming tour for crissakes.  Frankly, I don't care if they teach Bubbles the Chimp to do the parts as long as they start listing some dates soon! Grin
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2009, 10:36:57 PM »

/jarmo

Jarmo, was it Robin's decision not to return ?  

Good question. But I'm sure it was Robins and only on Robins decision to tour with NIN. The only thing I would like to know is why leave GN'R for NIN again? but if someone has lack of faith you just have to move on, it happens all the time. GN'R will move on and tour.

MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2009, 10:40:52 PM »

Meanbone, fuck yeah, you know who he is.  He is a MONSTER and on of the nicest guys in Rock today, bar none.  Doug in GNR would make GNR as big as they could be.  He smokes on the new Whitesnake album too.

hell yeah i know him, i opened for whitesnake 4 years ago and got to meet him and hang out with him, i was blown away, i'm a huge fan ever since.

That guy is amazing!

Chinese Democracy!
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2009, 10:42:19 PM »

I can't wait for this tour to get rolling, really looking forward to seeing this guy with GnR. I have every bit of confidence in him doing an awesome job.
It is dissapointing though that Robin won't be playing on the ChiDem tour though. Like him or not he is a big part of that album, and now that it's out it's a shame he wont be touring for it.
But I really feel DJ is an awesome choice. It may be looking ahead, but I'm already looking forward to hearing him collaborate with Axl and Guns. Like I've said before, this guy is a pretty diverse player, he has experience and knows what he's doing. I urge anyone to listen to the Heroine Diaries. That was a project that could have easily failed and been a mess, but the guys, including DJ, really pulled it off.
This guy is good.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: