Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 05:21:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228009 Posts in 43257 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash To Mentor American Idol Rock Week
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash To Mentor American Idol Rock Week  (Read 68241 times)
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2009, 09:53:35 AM »

He's a musician.  It's his job to play music... who he plays with is none of our concern.
Appearing on a TV show (especially one such as this) in any capacity other than as a performer or interviewee is completely different.

So its ok for Richard to perform with whoever he likes but not Slash?  Slash also gets bashed for performing with Fergie but i never hear GNR fans say "He's a musician.  It's his job to play music".

I've never bashed Slash for performing with people like Fergie.  And I'd have said the same thing to the people who have bashed him if I posted here more. Wink
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2009, 09:54:58 AM »

Fuck you Saul. When your solo album comes out, maybe you can fulfill your dream of opening for Bon Jovi you fucking wanker. In a million fucking years, I never would have guessed that the cool motherfucking half man half beast guitar player in Guns N' Roses would have turned out like this. You have got to be fucking kidding me D. Actually you like Jovi so I am not surprised. That should not have surprised you that that sorry pretty boy douche would have appeared on this show. He is as safe as a marsh mellow puff. I guess Slash is now too. Good riddance.

A bit much methinks.

Yeah, I'd say some people are taking this a little personally. It amazes me how these "true" fans of the current lineup are so hung up and angry about what Slash does. Kind of reminds me of some interviews I read a few months ago.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2009, 09:57:12 AM »

I've never bashed Slash for performing with people like Fergie.  And I'd have said the same thing to the people who have bashed him if I posted here more.

Cool man!  Smiley

I wasnt just aiming that at you by the way. Smiley

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2009, 10:03:14 AM »

It amazes me how these "true" fans of the current lineup are so hung up and angry about what Slash does.

It's more a case of amusement I think.

What's gonna be the last straw....

On the other hand, of course some can be angry when they see people defend a show like American Idol.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2009, 10:06:20 AM »

The last straw would be if Slash came out drinking from a pimp cup. Then he's gone the full Snoop Dogg whore route.  hihi

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2009, 10:13:41 AM »

It amazes me how these "true" fans of the current lineup are so hung up and angry about what Slash does.

That amazes me too.  If you don't like him, read about something else.

I also believe its because of the lack of news from the GNR camp.  If GNR had just announced tour dates, no one would be bothered about this at all.

But they havent and because there isnt much news, they negatively comment on every little thing that Slash does.  Which is kinda pathetic.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2009, 10:19:03 AM »

maybe because we used to love the guy when he played interesting music instead of doing shit ?

Slash is artistically dead right after the first Snakepit album.

if his solo album will be good I'll be the first one to admit it and enjoy it.

but this kind of AI stuff...is just wrong.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2009, 10:30:22 AM »

Some photos of Slash/Perla with Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Slash's son holding an Adam Lambert sign.

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&language=en-US&family=editorial&p=slash%20american%20idol&assetType=image&src=quick

New photos have been added at Getty...

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #188 on: May 07, 2009, 10:33:37 AM »

maybe because we used to love the guy when he played interesting music instead of doing shit ?

Slash is artistically dead right after the first Snakepit album.

if his solo album will be good I'll be the first one to admit it and enjoy it.

but this kind of AI stuff...is just wrong.

Thats just a matter of opinion though.  Lots of people love Velvet.  
People complained that CD wasnt promoted properly yet people complain when you do promote something.  Crazy world.

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2009, 10:46:42 AM »

This is a quote from Matt Sorum about an entirely different subject but answers a lot of questions about so called "media whoring".  lol

"But sometimes you have to put your name on the popcorn bag; you have to get people to see you and identify you with the cause. That's just the way it is."

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2009, 11:04:24 AM »

Some of you are absolutely clueless about what it is to be a fan. If I didn't fucking love Slash, then him going on American Idol and Hannah Montana wouldn't bother me in the least. But I loved him. I fought tooth and nail back in the day when motherfuckers said he wasn't that great compared to whoever it was they thought was better. I a am hardcore old school gunner. Fucking old school. I also love the original Black sabbath and seeing Ozzy doing this fucking reality show disappoints the hell out of me. I hate seeing Ozzy like this. I hated seeing his perm in the 80's too. Also more recently this new Wolverine movie pisses me off to no end. Yea its just a movie but, Wolverine was the one who got me into comics in the first place. He has one of the more interesting origin stories and is a total fucking badass second to no one. This movie takes a huge fucking shit on the character. Hollywood actually managed to make Wolverine completely kid friendly and changed every aspect hat made him cool in the first place. As a fan it broke my heart.

I am sure most who aren't as emotionally invested in Wolverine or as connected to the character from early childhood, can enjoy the film. But the movie is fucking bullshit. I can say these things because I am a fan, and I fucking care. Seeing what has become of the characters in my life who I cherish is important to me.

I see Axl now, present day. The dude is maybe even actually cooler now then he was 15 years ago. His music is even more artistic and poignant. Fuck me, I can't say that about many others who I have enjoyed over my lifetime. If Axl was to show up on Idol, I would be fucking devastated. The show, along with most other reality shows represents everything that is wrong with TV and much of society today. If you (and you know who you are), disagree, then me and you are done professionally.

I will say that Slash's solo album better be pretty fucking spectacular. He has greatly disappointed over the years. I am of the mind that it is better to release nothing, then to release something average or worse. I will finish this rant by responding to the comment about Axl wanting the over the top videos. That was a sign of the times, and GN'R didn't do small back then. But just understand this one fact. It was Slash, who wanted the horn section.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2009, 11:06:07 AM »

This is a quote from Matt Sorum about an entirely different subject but answers a lot of questions about so called "media whoring".  lol

"But sometimes you have to put your name on the popcorn bag; you have to get people to see you and identify you with the cause. That's just the way it is."

That's not media-whoring... that's doing work for charity.  Big difference.

And yes, it was annoying that Chinese Democracy wasn't promoted properly, but there is a right way to go about promoting something and a wrong way.  Conducting interviews, performing live, releasing singles and music videos... that's the right way.
Can you guess the wrong way?  Here's a hint... it's the way that gets your name heard, but also compromises your art.  Like forever having what you are promoting associated with a certain car/phone/etc. Wink

PS - I was more pissed off by the raping of Deadpool than Wolverine.  At least it wasn't as bad as Batman & Robin, though.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 11:09:07 AM by MrRedfield » Logged
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #192 on: May 07, 2009, 11:26:16 AM »

That's not media-whoring... that's doing work for charity.  Big difference.

Slash doing charity work was seeing as "media Whoring" by some on here.  There was a whole thread on it.

Promotion is promotion.

When the CD is out and he has something more solid to promote, then he'll do the interviews and performances etc.

Although that may be hard since there will be so many different artists on it.

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #193 on: May 07, 2009, 11:29:43 AM »

It was Slash, who wanted the horn section.

Yep, i know that.  But there was some other stuff.  The piano coming up from the ground, backing singers and dancers, keyboard players, the couch in 1993.  I think Slash wanted 12 additional musicians including horn players to increase the sound.  But it became a lot more bloated. 

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #194 on: May 07, 2009, 11:42:08 AM »

From Slash's twitter

Alison didn't deserve to be voted off AI so soon, she has amazing potential. #fb

BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #195 on: May 07, 2009, 12:05:43 PM »

If I didn't fucking love Slash, then him going on American Idol and Hannah Montana wouldn't bother me in the least.

Zuh??

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #196 on: May 07, 2009, 12:10:30 PM »

If you call too much attention to the amount you do for charity, there's a real danger of it going from putting your name on a cause to help it out to self-congratulatory "look how much I do for charity!  Aren't I awesome!" bullshit pretty quickly.  Still a big difference to media whoring, but it can and does sometimes look like with some stars that they're doing stuff for charity more for their own image than because they want to be nice.  It's a very fine line.
Wasn't the topic referred to after Perla set up a profile on some website specifically to talk about how much she and Slash do for charity?  If so, then I'd said it crossed the line into the self-congratulatory bullshit around about that time.  But there's nothing wrong with attaching your name to a cause you believe in.
jak0lantern01
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #197 on: May 07, 2009, 12:24:25 PM »

Buncha little girls on this forum. Slash went up there and did what he does best, and you all complain. Pretty pathetic. The one thing that makes him a great player is his diversity and willingness to step outside what is expected. It keeps him relevent. Keeping a narrow mind will keep your guitar playing narrow.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #198 on: May 07, 2009, 12:51:57 PM »

Buncha little girls on this forum. Slash went up there and did what he does best, and you all complain. Pretty pathetic. The one thing that makes him a great player is his diversity and willingness to step outside what is expected. It keeps him relevent. Keeping a narrow mind will keep your guitar playing narrow.

Going on the modern day Brady Bunch musical hour is doing what he does best? And you are calling us little girls? What, did your balls drop off? This incarnation of Slash is farther removed from the old Slash as the new GN'R is to the old GN'R. I think you would have to be a little girl or an old person to enjoy Slash presently. He is another one who needs to find his balls.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #199 on: May 07, 2009, 12:53:38 PM »

Yeah and Richard has played with everyone from NSync to now Rhianna......

oh how everyone forgets

He's a musician.  It's his job to play music... who he plays with is none of our concern.
Appearing on a TV show (especially one such as this) in any capacity other than as a performer or interviewee is completely different.

I did not know about Brain being on The Apprentice, but my respect for him just went down a bit, too.

Like I said before, I'm not saying musicians can't do what they want... but I'm certainly not going to pretend it doesn't bother me when a musician I like decides to piss on his art by cashing in on it like that.  I'm not going to respect someone who pisses on their art, either.

It's funny how in one topic you rejoice at Duff hating the idea of going onto a reality show, but in this one you're acting like going on a reality show is a fantastic idea.  At least be consistent.

If u watched the Duff interview, u would see he was against a reality show to find a singer for VR a la Rockstar Inxs or those shows. that was what I was referring to.

Slash did well on AI and although I hate AI, I thought Slash made it cool for a couple nights.

The singers on SChool's out did shitty though.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: