Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 10:37:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228062 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash To Mentor American Idol Rock Week
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash To Mentor American Idol Rock Week  (Read 68564 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2009, 09:25:18 AM »

EVERY star sells out.  Slash just does it more often than most.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2009, 10:03:11 AM »

People don't realize that Slash once he left GNR was basically starting over and had to promote himself to build his name and own brand up. without that GNR umbrella, doors are tougher to open

Fully agree with this.  Chinese Democracy would have been even more terrible commercially without the Guns name.  People forget that.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2009, 10:27:56 AM »

People don't realize that Slash once he left GNR was basically starting over and had to promote himself to build his name and own brand up. without that GNR umbrella, doors are tougher to open

Fully agree with this.  Chinese Democracy would have been even more terrible commercially without the Guns name.  People forget that.

so I guess if Slash's solo CD outsells Chinese Democracy in it's release week and overall, that will confirm that Slash is a sell-out? hihi
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2009, 11:33:21 AM »

so I guess if Slash's solo CD outsells Chinese Democracy in it's release week and overall, that will confirm that Slash is a sell-out?

I doubt a solo album will ever out sell a GNR album but it would be funny.  I don't see how promoting yourself is selling out but.... seems to be the logic these days

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2009, 11:36:32 AM »

I don't see how promoting yourself is selling out but....

I think the thing is that most sensible music fans understand promoting your product (the record), but they don't necessarily like when you just promote yourself for the sake of being noticed/seen.

That's the kind of things people like Paris Hilton do.

So when a musician steps into that whole "hey, look at me!" world, it'll get commented on.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2009, 01:05:58 PM »

and that's way more noticeable when we talk about rock n'roll.

the genre implies, in my opinion, some values like integrity, anti-establishment spirit....

I can't say it's very rock n'roll to promote a credit card....

the more funny thing, if I remember correctly (I'm not sure and I can't find this one online
at the moment) is Slash said that RHCP has lost their credibility after a Nike commercial or something...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2009, 01:39:55 PM »

I don't see how promoting yourself is selling out but....

I think the thing is that most sensible music fans understand promoting your product (the record), but they don't necessarily like when you just promote yourself for the sake of being noticed/seen.

That's the kind of things people like Paris Hilton do.

So when a musician steps into that whole "hey, look at me!" world, it'll get commented on.

/jarmo

the question remains, why is it OK for a star athlete to promote a product and not catch any backlash but for a musician, it's selling out.....too me it seems hypocritical

i mean living near NYC, one of the big "draws" to potential athletes for the NY teams is the endorsement possibilities
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2009, 02:07:18 PM »

Why do you feel the need to compare sports (something which isn't art or necessarily creative) to being a musician?

An athlete isn't really attached to his/her work like a musician. A musician creates art and often hopes that others will enjoy it. The art defines the musician and he/she will often be remembered for it by the public.

An athlete isn't really out to create something and hope others will like it. It's more about performing well so you can get signed to the best team, win as many games as possible etc etc.

So when a musician starts doing other things besides the music, the focus shifts. Ozzy is probably more known as a TV star than a musician among some people!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2009, 02:10:26 PM »

In all fairness, Slash will be playing music on a music based show and mentoring other musicians. While I don't think it's real cool or necessary, it's not the same as Kobe Bryant endorsing McDonald's.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2009, 02:21:58 PM »

Why do you feel the need to compare sports (something which isn't art or necessarily creative) to being a musician?

An athlete isn't really attached to his/her work like a musician. A musician creates art and often hopes that others will enjoy it. The art defines the musician and he/she will often be remembered for it by the public.

An athlete isn't really out to create something and hope others will like it. It's more about performing well so you can get signed to the best team, win as many games as possible etc etc.

So when a musician starts doing other things besides the music, the focus shifts. Ozzy is probably more known as a TV star than a musician among some people!

/jarmo

musicians, athletes.....they're all entertainers Wink
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2009, 03:24:27 PM »

If the Beatles can sell out, anybody can

I just find it ridiculous

u have one life to live on this planet. So if u are a rock legend, u should never do anything else and live the rest of your life in seclusion and live off your past work just because some fans will get upset u are ruining a 'Legacy"

fuck that. I feel Slash has earned the right to do whatever it is he wants to do. He hasn't crossed the line in my opinion. Had they done a Reality ROCK STAR show for a frontman, that would be fucking lame I admit.

What he has done doesn't qualify.

Guitar Hero isn't selling out. It is introducing a brand new generation of fans for years to come to u. that is smart

So what other things has he done? the car commercial kind of sucks, but at least he was jamming on a guitar in it.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 03:27:11 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
AC
Rocker

« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2009, 04:08:19 PM »

AI is actually a good show this year. The remaining 4 (and 5) are really talented. That guy Adam Lambert will kill the music scene when it's said and done. Using a show to get out there and publicize yourself (whether it be Slash or a contestant like Adam) is normal. Musician's are on shows all the time, from Top of the Pops to American Idol, to HDNET's live concert series. It's all good and all part of the game. I'm looking forward tonight to hear what Slash has to say to the contestants and to see him tomorrow perform. Would be nice to hear some new skool Slash stuff. His book was terrible, but his playing for the Wrestler soundtrack, albeit not technically hard, was killer.

a.

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2009, 04:38:55 PM »

If you think promoting your music by playing the songs live or doing interviews equals promoting yourself by doing commercials, appearing on day time TV shows etc., ok......

/jarmo

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2009, 04:59:19 PM »

I've got no problem with someone "getting out there" so to speak but I do think he needs to pick his spots more carefully..

Charity events and whatnot (Guitar Hero, selective commercial appearances), fine.  If his presence can help a cause (even by collaborating with the likes of Fergie)  - all good..

AI?

Not so much....

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2009, 05:40:09 PM »

Those AI kids can sing their asses off, especially Adam.

about 14 hours ago from txt

So this is the guy Slash is talking about...

http://www.americanidol.com/videos/season_8/performances/adam_lambert_feeling_good

I guess we'll see tonight....

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2009, 05:51:31 PM »

I'll be watching.  I like Lambert's voice.  It'll be interesting to see if he does any kind of song with Slash playing along.

About Slash...the path he takes is his to choose...I just wish he made better choices along the way. 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2009, 06:13:23 PM »

I've got no problem with someone "getting out there" so to speak but I do think he needs to pick his spots more carefully..

Charity events and whatnot (Guitar Hero, selective commercial appearances), fine.  If his presence can help a cause (even by collaborating with the likes of Fergie)  - all good..

AI?

Not so much....

I can see what your saying about AI; but, IMO, Slash thinks Lamberts an intriuging talent and what a way to skope him out and get to know him; I don't think Slash does this if lambert's not on the show.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 06:18:03 PM by oldgunsfan » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2009, 06:57:02 PM »

AI?

Not so much....

I can see what your saying about AI; but, IMO, Slash thinks Lamberts an intriuging talent and what a way to skope him out and get to know him; I don't think Slash does this if lambert's not on the show.

I haven't watched the show so I have no idea who Lambert is or why his presence would compel Slash to appear, just not the choice I'll make as a viewer or the choice I'd make as an
iconic guitar player.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2009, 07:15:47 PM »

AI?

Not so much....

I'm not so sure he knew how any of them sang prior to hearing them last week.  At least that's how his comments on twitter made it seem.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2009, 07:23:50 PM »

Its simple mathematics

Slash has a solo record coming out ,AI is seen by 30 million people, exposes Slash to a new generation of fans

I hate AI but its a SMART business move.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: