Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 10:45:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Duff McKagan On The Opie & Anthony Show; 30 Minute Audio Interview
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff McKagan On The Opie & Anthony Show; 30 Minute Audio Interview  (Read 8967 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: October 07, 2011, 03:06:12 PM »

Duff was recently interviewed on The Opie & Anthony Show.  They try pretty hard to get him to say something negative, but he doesn't.  He's a few things he talks about....

Opie & Anthony: Duff McKagan in Studio 10-05-2011

Duff: I came away from writing this book of how much I loved that band [Guns N' Roses] and loved the brothership and fellowship of that band.  It's a unique experience what the five of us went through.

They ask him about signing the "papers" and he says it was not Axl, but rather they were presented to them.  He says at the time there was a big disconnect between management and the band.  He thinks they really believed that Duff and Slash were going to die.

Duff: Writing this book made me really appreciate the bands and the friends and Slash and Axl and Izzy and Steven and Matt and Dave Kushner and Weiland and all these guys that I've gone through this journey and my band Loaded -- all these great players and guys I've traveled the world with and learned a lot from -- and God dammit created some great music too, amazing chemistries.

Audio here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJmpQoq5oPc

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Jbat81
Rocker

NY FOOTBALL GIANTS

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 03:37:40 PM »

nice interview. Thanx!

5-14-06 NY
5-15-06 NY
11-08-06 MA
11-17-11 NJ
11-19-11 CT
11-25-11 MA
12-30-11 NV
12-31-11 NV
2-10-12 NY
2-12-12 NY
2-15-12 NY
4-8-16 NV
4-9-16 NV
7-19-16 MA
7-20-16 MA
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 04:46:09 PM »

Duff was recently interviewed on The Opie & Anthony Show.  They try pretty hard to get him to say something negative, but he doesn't.  He's a few things he talks about....

Duff: I came away from writing this book of how much I loved that band [Guns N' Roses] and loved the brothership and fellowship of that band.  It's a unique experience what the five of us went through.

They ask him about signing the "papers" and he says it was not Axl, but rather they were presented to them.  He says at the time there was a big disconnect between management and the band.  He thinks they really believed that Duff and Slash were going to die.

Duff: Writing this book made me really appreciate the bands and the friends and Slash and Axl and Izzy and Steven and Matt and Dave Kushner and Weiland and all these guys that I've gone through this journey and my band Loaded -- all these great players and guys I've traveled the world with and learned a lot from -- and God dammit created some great music too, amazing chemistries.

FunkyMonkey, would you mind clarifying? By papers, does that mean the contract that gave Axl the rights to the band name if the partnership dissolved?

If so, I think that may be the first time he commented on that publicly.  Did he mention anything about the alleged backstage-before-a-show-blackmail issue?

Ali
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 05:48:03 PM »

FunkyMonkey, would you mind clarifying? By papers, does that mean the contract that gave Axl the rights to the band name if the partnership dissolved?

If so, I think that may be the first time he commented on that publicly.  Did he mention anything about the alleged backstage-before-a-show-blackmail issue?

Ali

He said the papers didn't dissolve the partnership or end his equity stake in the band. They just gave Axl the right to use the name Guns N' Roses in the future. He was also very careful to clarify that the papers were presented to him by management and not Axl. He says it was management who "implied" that Axl might not take the stage if they didn't sign. He puts it all on management. But who are we kidding?

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 05:56:22 PM »

Also, everyone should check out the book. It's a good read (and actually written by Duff and not a ghost writer). There's a good bit about the ineptitude of GNR's management at the time without ever mentioning Doug Goldstein by name of course.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 06:34:33 PM »

Ali

He said the papers didn't dissolve the partnership or end his equity stake in the band. They just gave Axl the right to use the name Guns N' Roses in the future. He was also very careful to clarify that the papers were presented to him by management and not Axl. He says it was management who "implied" that Axl might not take the stage if they didn't sign. He puts it all on management. But who are we kidding?

Big distinction. Slash went on record saying Axl handed them the papers personally. Slash and Duff's stories are different.  Slash:

''Before a gig one night in '92, [Axl] hands us a contract saying that if the band breaks up, he's taking the name,'' says Slash. ''Unfortunately, we signed it. I didn't think he'd go on stage otherwise.''

Ali
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 07:44:10 PM »

Wow-they should have had a lawyer look at it in any case, but the state of mind those 2 were in, God knows what else they signed.

libertad
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 10:09:20 PM »

He really is a class act.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 10:47:55 AM »

Big distinction. Slash went on record saying Axl handed them the papers personally. Slash and Duff's stories are different.  Slash:

''Before a gig one night in '92, [Axl] hands us a contract saying that if the band breaks up, he's taking the name,'' says Slash. ''Unfortunately, we signed it. I didn't think he'd go on stage otherwise.''

Ali

I'm not sure how literal Slash was being with that. Anything being "handed" to them from Axl was going through management at this point.

sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 11:32:32 AM »

Ali

I'm not sure how literal Slash was being with that. Anything being "handed" to them from Axl was going through management at this point.

Agreed why split hairs at this point. The fact is it went down Duff is just the latest to confirm it.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »

I haven't read his book yet, but this is what he says in the interview (@10:55).

Opie & Anthony: Did he [Axl] really come to you and Slash and wanted you to sign paper before you went on stage.

Duff McKagan: No no no.  I hope that part of the book is clear. In that part of our group, I don't think there was any connection between management and the band and all of that stuff. I do think people thought Slash and I were going to die. I think there were some safe guards...the point I was trying to make was our band had gotten so out of our control.

The papers were presented to us [by management].

Opie & Anthony: Do you think it was more of a management thing than from him [Axl] personally?

Duff McKagan: To this day I don't really know.

sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 12:15:40 PM »

I have the book it starts on page 221, I have no way of posting the pages. In short and this is not exact quotes form the book. But I will do my best.

The band was on the last leg of the tour in 93. They arrived in Barcelona Doug Goldstein sent Duff and Slash a request to meet with them. Duff said that this was an unusual thing to have happen. When he and Slash arrived there was one of the tour managers waiting for them. He presented the papers to them. They did not want to sign them the tour manger said they were not in good shape and could die. Then said if that happened that there would be legal problems with their families. Duff said that is not what was in the papers. He said the crowd was getting rowdy in the arena and then the guy implied Axl would not go on stage unless they signed. Duff said he pictured another riot so he signed.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:20:19 PM by sleeper » Logged
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 02:03:31 PM »

I have the book it starts on page 221, I have no way of posting the pages. In short and this is not exact quotes form the book. But I will do my best.

The band was on the last leg of the tour in 93. They arrived in Barcelona Doug Goldstein sent Duff and Slash a request to meet with them. Duff said that this was an unusual thing to have happen. When he and Slash arrived there was one of the tour managers waiting for them. He presented the papers to them. They did not want to sign them the tour manger said they were not in good shape and could die. Then said if that happened that there would be legal problems with their families. Duff said that is not what was in the papers. He said the crowd was getting rowdy in the arena and then the guy implied Axl would not go on stage unless they signed. Duff said he pictured another riot so he signed.

Thanks to Classicrawker from another site

http://i53.tinypic.com/ih5b1g.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/15etljl.jpg
Ali
Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 06:38:55 PM »

Ali

Agreed why split hairs at this point. The fact is it went down Duff is just the latest to confirm it.

Give me a break. There is a huge difference between someone making a direct threat to not go on stage and a third party implying that person may not go on stage, or implying they think he wouldn't go on stage. No one is disputing the ultimate outcome. The issue of blackmail is the one in dispute amongst the members. It looks like everyone has a different story. Duff's timeline is even different than Slash's.

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 01:16:56 AM »

Damn, thats fucked up

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Street of the Blues
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 07:44:18 AM »

who was the manager at the time these contracts were drawn-up? Alan Niven or Doug Goldstein?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 01:12:21 PM »

who was the manager at the time these contracts were drawn-up? Alan Niven or Doug Goldstein?

I think someone posted it was Doug Goldstein.

Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 03:56:37 PM »

Thanks.  That was a really cool interview.   They really liked the book and got along with Duff well.   They can sometimes be really mean,so I'm glad it worked out.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 03:58:38 PM by Trist805 » Logged
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 11:52:41 PM »

Ali

Give me a break. There is a huge difference between someone making a direct threat to not go on stage and a third party implying that person may not go on stage, or implying they think he wouldn't go on stage. No one is disputing the ultimate outcome. The issue of blackmail is the one in dispute amongst the members. It looks like everyone has a different story. Duff's timeline is even different than Slash's.

Ali

i don't think its that HUGE a difference in this case. the implication wouldn't have had any real force if Axl hadn't not gone on stage 1000 times in the past. They were papers clearly for Axl's benefit so he obv. knew (and has admitted to knowing) what was in them. Yeah it would have been a worse if he literally presented it to them, but still he's pretty much culpable for, if not truly blackmailing, then pretty much blackmailing.

I don't think any stories are different, i think Slash just sees it as one and the same - Axl just sending his minions - and duff is the one making the differentiation saying "well look axl didn't physically present it, just shows you that management were fucking with him so give the guy a break" - but they agree on what actually happened - management presented it.

Slash just hasn't said as much, probably cos' he's not going to make excuses for a guy who in the end was fucking him over either way. If anyone ever interviews him on this board, ask him "did axl physically hand it to you, or was it sent by management". I guarantee he will agree with duff.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 01:54:39 AM »

The stories are different because the timelines are different. If thing nothing else.

It's not blackmail if there is no threat. The truth is this: Duff doesn't have any direct proof that Axl ever made a direct threat. Hence, no claim of blackmail can be made.

I think the most likely scenario is that the management agent thought for some reason that Axl wouldn't go on stage if the papers weren't signed, or thought that implying that would help get the papers signed.

There is nothing in Duff's version of events that contradicts Axl's claims that he never made any threat.

Ali
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: