Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:25:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dj Ashba: There is "Absolutely" More Guns N' Roses Material In The Future
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dj Ashba: There is "Absolutely" More Guns N' Roses Material In The Future  (Read 12865 times)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 01:53:03 PM »

Why?

Are you guys afraid that the new material will sound like Motley Crue or Sixx:AM?

Axl will guide the sound of the album, as this is still GN'R.  I think what will happen is that Axl will incorporate DJ's contributions and musical personality into the sonic tapestry of what he wants the next GN'R record to sound like, as opposed to letting DJ control the sound of the new material. 

I think that's what happened with Bucket and Robin, too.  They added their distinct styles to the GN'R sound, but they didn't take it over, IMO.

Ali

If I'm being honest, that's exactly what I'm worried about. I didn't hate SoLA or the Sixx:AM albums but I didn't love either. I absolutely LOVE Chinese on the other hand. But I hear what you're saying too. I'm sure Axl wouldn't just give in and put something out that he wasn't totally about musically and emotionally.

I'll be going into any future Guns N' Roses material with open ears but I'm just slightly worried about DJ being heavily involved since I haven't liked any of his previous material much.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
AC
Rocker

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 02:04:07 PM »

Sixx AM and Motely Crue is not good music. Let's hope he can contribute by bringing a positive vibe (which he does) and keep it at that.

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
buymoreguns
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 02:04:37 PM »

i was under the assumption chinese democracy 2 would be all the songs not on the first album. has something changed? i don't see how dj ashba can make new music when new music is already in the can ready to go for the next chinese democracy album
gnrjanus
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 02:26:26 PM »

I just hope they don't throw away left over songs from the chidem era.

would love to hear each piece of music made by whomever was in the band at a certain point.

But I would love to hear a mix album with maybe disc 1 being all left over songs or at least the best of em and disc 2 being songs written by this band who is performing live today and not yesterday.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 02:34:51 PM »

Why?

Are you guys afraid that the new material will sound like Motley Crue or Sixx:AM?

Axl will guide the sound of the album, as this is still GN'R.  I think what will happen is that Axl will incorporate DJ's contributions and musical personality into the sonic tapestry of what he wants the next GN'R record to sound like, as opposed to letting DJ control the sound of the new material. 

I think that's what happened with Bucket and Robin, too.  They added their distinct styles to the GN'R sound, but they didn't take it over, IMO.

Ali

If I'm being honest, that's exactly what I'm worried about. I didn't hate SoLA or the Sixx:AM albums but I didn't love either. I absolutely LOVE Chinese on the other hand. But I hear what you're saying too. I'm sure Axl wouldn't just give in and put something out that he wasn't totally about musically and emotionally.

I'll be going into any future Guns N' Roses material with open ears but I'm just slightly worried about DJ being heavily involved since I haven't liked any of his previous material much.

I don't blame you or anyone else for having that thought.  It's completely understandable.  I just think that at the end of the day, Axl is the captain of this ship, and while every one contributes and has a say creatively, I think Axl will do what he did with Chinese Democracy:  make a GN'R record. 

I REALLY don't think we will hear a Sixx:AM style record with Axl singing over the tracks.  I also think that we should keep in mind there is material still recorded from the CD sessions that DJ may just be adding lead guitar parts for.

Ali
Silex
Headliner

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 02:55:20 PM »

If I'm being honest, that's exactly what I'm worried about. I didn't hate SoLA or the Sixx:AM albums but I didn't love either.
What about Beautiful Creatures? That's probably "most GNR-like" music DJ has been involved, yet.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 02:55:52 PM »

Can anyone point me to what they would consider to be a "great" song that DJ has written?   

yeah I think "Ballad of Death' is great, right up there with just about anything GNR has ever done guitar wise.  That's right I said ever.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 02:59:55 PM »

Sixx AM and Motely Crue is not good music. Let's hope he can contribute by bringing a positive vibe (which he does) and keep it at that.

Sixx A.M is really good, the last Motley Crue was decent, but one can only do so much with Vince Neil being your lead singer.
buymoreguns
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 03:10:24 PM »

I just hope they don't throw away left over songs from the chidem era.

would love to hear each piece of music made by whomever was in the band at a certain point.

But I would love to hear a mix album with maybe disc 1 being all left over songs or at least the best of em and disc 2 being songs written by this band who is performing live today and not yesterday.

is leftovers still the plan for chinese democracy 2? remember axl talking about song titles of songs recorded in the can like the general, atlas shrugged, jackie chan, and soul monster? i assume this is what the next guns n roses album will look like. with a new one with dj ashba down the line.........
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 04:40:20 PM »

if he plays solos, compose music, produce the monster, that's a lot for one man, and a huge influence on the finale record.

i honnestly prefer to see Bumblefoot producing it, because his abilities are in my opinion better, and I prefer his musical tastes and influences.

but we'll see

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »

Here's a little more of what he says in the interview, roughly...

Dj Ashba: I don't jump into anything just to jump into something.  When I got the phone call...it's the same way I co-wrote and co-produced the Motley Crue stuff.  I know I could bring something to the table.  I understand the music because I grew up on it.

I feel the same way with Guns, and Slash, you know, I grew up cutting my teeth on people like Slash.  I have the utmost respect for his guitar playing and his style. I feel I get where he's coming from on that. No one will ever replace him and that's not why I'm here. I felt I could do the gig justice as far as staying true to the vision where everything left off. 

That's really why I got involved.  I wanted to work with Axl -- I think I can bring something to the table. He [Axl] has a lot of material -- a ton or really good music just sitting there, and I've written a bunch of stuff for him too.  That's the goal...to put out hopefully the next best Guns N' Roses record.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:42:36 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 04:59:18 PM »

If I'm being honest, that's exactly what I'm worried about. I didn't hate SoLA or the Sixx:AM albums but I didn't love either.
What about Beautiful Creatures? That's probably "most GNR-like" music DJ has been involved, yet.

Haven't heard any of that material but I'd be open to listening to it.

Someone else mentioned Ballad of Death and I don't hear anything special there.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
gnrjanus
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2011, 05:20:39 PM »

Beautiful creatures is a truely great band.
it's def gnr type of music!

anyone who doesn't have that should listen to it and you know exactly why he is the mainman in gnr right now.

but besides that, he's done excelent work with sixx am and Crue.

bailyrose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »

DJ ASHBA is the best thing to happen to G N'R period everybody will see that with the next record.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 07:18:45 PM »

Beautiful creatures is a truely great band.
it's def gnr type of music!

anyone who doesn't have that should listen to it and you know exactly why he is the mainman in gnr right now.

but besides that, he's done excelent work with sixx am and Crue.

See, that's my point. You're saying Beautiful Creatures is great but you're also saying his work with Crue and Sixx is "excellent" and I find all of that work to be "meh" at best. I should and can track down some Beautiful Creatures to hear it for myself.

buymoreguns
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2011, 07:32:44 PM »

DJ ASHBA is the best thing to happen to G N'R period everybody will see that with the next record.

dj ashba i don't think will be on the next record. axl said the next record follows up chinese democracy. leftovers. the songs axl talked about in an interview. a chinese democracy trilogy. i don't think dj ashba can be on a guns record until chinese democracy 2 and 3 come out first. these records will credit brain, robin finck, buckethead, josh freese, paul tobias and various new members post slash, duff, izzy, and adler. maybe can expect dj ashba on chinese democracy 4 or something else guns n roses!
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »

dj ashba i don't think will be on the next record. axl said the next record follows up chinese democracy. leftovers. the songs axl talked about in an interview. a chinese democracy trilogy. i don't think dj ashba can be on a guns record until chinese democracy 2 and 3 come out first. these records will credit brain, robin finck, buckethead, josh freese, paul tobias and various new members post slash, duff, izzy, and adler. maybe can expect dj ashba on chinese democracy 4 or something else guns n roses!

Even if this is the case.....DJ will rerecord Buckethead or Finks parts, and also add in some of his own thoughts.

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
buymoreguns
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2011, 07:48:42 PM »

Even if this is the case.....DJ will rerecord Buckethead or Finks parts, and also add in some of his own thoughts.

i don't think axl wants dj to do that. it's like having bumblefoot re-record robin's parts on til and bucket's parts on twat. axl didn't go for this on chinese democracy. i don't think axl will go for it on chinese democracy 2 and 3. if there's songs which features even bigger solos than before from finck and bucket. you don't want to re-record that!
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2011, 08:14:09 PM »

i don't think axl wants dj to do that. it's like having bumblefoot re-record robin's parts on til and bucket's parts on twat. axl didn't go for this on chinese democracy. i don't think axl will go for it on chinese democracy 2 and 3. if there's songs which features even bigger solos than before from finck and bucket. you don't want to re-record that!

Either way, I haven't heard of CD 2 and 3 for a long time.  Don't think that's necessarily the case now

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2011, 08:15:42 PM »

Hard to know exactly what will happen here- it's GN'R afterall. It would seem odd (and particularly ill-advised) for DJ to be talking this way if he's been given a strict directive that he won't be appearing (or otherwise contributing) on the next Guns' album(s) in any way though IMHO. My guess (and nothing more) is that similar to Bumblefoot and Frank on Chinese Democracy- DJ might be afforded the opportunity to record some additions (e.g. some rhythm parts and perhaps a chance to re-work a solo or two al la Bumblefoot on CD) and saddle-up with Axl in the producer's chair a bit too before the next album(s) go(es) out. My additional guess is Axl's open (but not comitted) to the idea of seeing whether DJ can add a little "sunset strip" grime and grit to what is already in the can (which I assume is super slick and sheen like Chinese Democracy). I personally love both styles and feel Axl/GN'R have been successful with both- but am ultimately most interested in what combination of styles Axl finally settles on as best. We shall see... peace

All this aside- whatever happens- DJ has been a fantastic addition to the band from a live performance and overall "image" perspective IMHO. It's almost as if he's been there from the start sometimes. He certainly has a lot of reverence and respect for the history of the band- which is great to see. peace

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: