Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 02:39:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash on Howard Stern tomorrow May 22nd 7am Eastern
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash on Howard Stern tomorrow May 22nd 7am Eastern  (Read 29448 times)
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2012, 11:13:20 PM »

Axl is angry, but was willing to forgive and move on in 2001 and have Slash play on Chinese Democracy if Slash apologized for spinning that situation the way he did.  According to Marc Canter, that's exactly what Axl said after RIR III and when Marc told Slash about that, he balked at it completely.  The point is Axl was willing to mend fences in 2001, but that didn't happen. 

I've never heard this before..... anyplace I can find this interview with Marc Cantor where he says this?

Duff described the situation more completely, saying that there was an intermediary that was involved in passing along the contract documentation, and that to this day he wasn't sure who it was that pushed for the contract to be signed that night before the show.

The interesting thing about that is that it still contradicts Axl's story.  Axl claims that it happened when the band renegotiated with Geffen, and that Slash and Duff had to initial where it said that in the contract.  So when did the contract renegotiation occur?  Wasn't that in 1990?  In his book, Duff claims the incident transpired (just as you described above) before a show in 1993.

Maybe if Slash had handled the situation and talked about it more like Duff, things would be different now.

Maybe so, but Slash admits he was incredibly bitter towards Axl in 2001 and truly believed that he'd been forced to sign away ownership in the name (otherwise the band would instantly break up), which obviously proved to be a lethal combination.  I think Slash's biggest sin (as always with him) was his lack of foresight, in both signing those papers and letting his emotions get the better of him.

Besides, you also have to wonder if Axl truly would've been able to forgive, since the bad blood goes beyond that one incident.  These days, Axl seems to nit-pick every alleged flaw that Slash ever had, from making comments that "it was a war between Slash and myself since day 1" and all of those comments in his 2008 "tip of the iceberg" rant.  I suppose that one could rationalize that Axl's own bitterness is now doing the talking for him, and being perpetually pissed off at someone does make you constantly try and find faults within them.

Another way I could spin it is that things could also be different if Axl hadn't been so obstinate about communicating through management only.  Imagine if Axl actually walked up to Slash or Duff and presented the contract himself, or discussed the situation with them beforehand (which Axl obviously didn't, given Slash's and Duff's surprise to it).  Maybe a lot of things wouldn't have happened then.

That Behind the Music a few years back didn't help either. The voice over said "Axl forced the band to sign the name over to him or the group would be history" but they don't show Slash or anyone actually saying that

Yes they did.  Slash was shown saying, "if we didn't sign that paper, the band was gonna break up right there.  So we did what we always did, keep the fucking thing rolling."
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:32:16 PM by Bridge » Logged
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2012, 05:20:04 AM »

http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.com/2012/04/22/legendary-rock-interview-with-guns-n-roses-insider-and-author-marc-canter/

heres the marc canter interview. That site also has some interesting interviews with Alan Niven and Vicky Hamilton. author really knows his guns shit.
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »

Yeah the Marc Canter interview is amazing, but I don't think that link will be available for much longer on this site  ok

There is a reason why it was never posted in the main GNR section. 
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2012, 11:06:33 AM »

The Marc Canter interview is really fascinating stuff...

Nothing earth shattering as far as stuff we havent heard already....

but with his perspective from being close with all sides its really interesting to hear what he has to say

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2012, 01:39:32 PM »

Axl is angry, but was willing to forgive and move on in 2001 and have Slash play on Chinese Democracy if Slash apologized for spinning that situation the way he did.  According to Marc Canter, that's exactly what Axl said after RIR III and when Marc told Slash about that, he balked at it completely.  The point is Axl was willing to mend fences in 2001, but that didn't happen. 

I've never heard this before..... anyplace I can find this interview with Marc Cantor where he says this?

Duff described the situation more completely, saying that there was an intermediary that was involved in passing along the contract documentation, and that to this day he wasn't sure who it was that pushed for the contract to be signed that night before the show.

The interesting thing about that is that it still contradicts Axl's story.  Axl claims that it happened when the band renegotiated with Geffen, and that Slash and Duff had to initial where it said that in the contract.  So when did the contract renegotiation occur?  Wasn't that in 1990?  In his book, Duff claims the incident transpired (just as you described above) before a show in 1993.

Maybe if Slash had handled the situation and talked about it more like Duff, things would be different now.

Maybe so, but Slash admits he was incredibly bitter towards Axl in 2001 and truly believed that he'd been forced to sign away ownership in the name (otherwise the band would instantly break up), which obviously proved to be a lethal combination.  I think Slash's biggest sin (as always with him) was his lack of foresight, in both signing those papers and letting his emotions get the better of him.

Besides, you also have to wonder if Axl truly would've been able to forgive, since the bad blood goes beyond that one incident.  These days, Axl seems to nit-pick every alleged flaw that Slash ever had, from making comments that "it was a war between Slash and myself since day 1" and all of those comments in his 2008 "tip of the iceberg" rant.  I suppose that one could rationalize that Axl's own bitterness is now doing the talking for him, and being perpetually pissed off at someone does make you constantly try and find faults within them.

Another way I could spin it is that things could also be different if Axl hadn't been so obstinate about communicating through management only.  Imagine if Axl actually walked up to Slash or Duff and presented the contract himself, or discussed the situation with them beforehand (which Axl obviously didn't, given Slash's and Duff's surprise to it).  Maybe a lot of things wouldn't have happened then.

That Behind the Music a few years back didn't help either. The voice over said "Axl forced the band to sign the name over to him or the group would be history" but they don't show Slash or anyone actually saying that

Yes they did.  Slash was shown saying, "if we didn't sign that paper, the band was gonna break up right there.  So we did what we always did, keep the fucking thing rolling."
The link was provided.

I don't think Axl and Duff's accounts are different.  I think Axl's point was that the issue of the rights to the name were brought up during the contract renegotiation with Geffen and Duff is talking about when he and Slash finally signed off on the name issue.  I think the contract renegotiation took a while to conclude.

Of course, Axl was willing to forgive and move forward in 2001.  Look at Marc Canter's comments.  He was willing to have him play on Chinese Democracy, so of course he was willing to forgive and move forward then.  If he didn't want to make peace, I can't imagine any other explanation for why he would be o.k. with Slash playing on CD.

As far as "discussing the situation" beforehand, Axl did do that.  Even Slash said in his book that Axl brought up the issue of ownership of the band name when Steven Adler was fired, so this was nothing new.  Maybe if Axl had personally handed Slash and Duff the papers things would be different, but then again I've never heard of anyone personally handing someone legal documents like that. 

Ali
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2012, 07:03:34 PM »

I don't think Axl and Duff's accounts are different.  I think Axl's point was that the issue of the rights to the name were brought up during the contract renegotiation with Geffen and Duff is talking about when he and Slash finally signed off on the name issue.  I think the contract renegotiation took a while to conclude.

Maybe so, but my point is that from Duff's standpoint, he supported Slash's side, not Axl's.  The whole "it was presented before a show by someone who implied that Axl wouldn't go onstage unless we signed it right then." was Duff's account, which Axl claims never happened.  I think Canter had it right; there was a lot of misguided communication transpiring there.

Of course, Axl was willing to forgive and move forward in 2001.  Look at Marc Canter's comments.  He was willing to have him play on Chinese Democracy, so of course he was willing to forgive and move forward then. 

That was interesting reading as I hadn't seen that before.  But you said before that Slash "balked" at Axl's request and that was why they didn't reconcile at that time.  Marc Canter elaborates that the reason Slash balked at it was because, in Slash's mind, Axl really did blackmail them, and consequently Slash was incredibly pissed off about it.  If you couple that with Slash's admitted intense bitterness towards the situation around 2001, you have a guy who wasn't willing to apologize for anything because (as Canter said) Slash didn't believe he had anything to apologize for.

I have to say I enjoyed reading Canter's interview.  He seems to have a much clearer and more objective perspective on Guns N Roses than any single member, especially Slash or Axl.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:05:35 PM by Bridge » Logged
Ali
Legend

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2012, 05:09:44 PM »

Maybe so, but my point is that from Duff's standpoint, he supported Slash's side, not Axl's.  The whole "it was presented before a show by someone who implied that Axl wouldn't go onstage unless we signed it right then." was Duff's account, which Axl claims never happened.  I think Canter had it right; there was a lot of misguided communication transpiring there.

Of course, Axl was willing to forgive and move forward in 2001.  Look at Marc Canter's comments.  He was willing to have him play on Chinese Democracy, so of course he was willing to forgive and move forward then. 

That was interesting reading as I hadn't seen that before.  But you said before that Slash "balked" at Axl's request and that was why they didn't reconcile at that time.  Marc Canter elaborates that the reason Slash balked at it was because, in Slash's mind, Axl really did blackmail them, and consequently Slash was incredibly pissed off about it.  If you couple that with Slash's admitted intense bitterness towards the situation around 2001, you have a guy who wasn't willing to apologize for anything because (as Canter said) Slash didn't believe he had anything to apologize for.

I have to say I enjoyed reading Canter's interview.  He seems to have a much clearer and more objective perspective on Guns N Roses than any single member, especially Slash or Axl.

I'm sorry, but I think you are mistaken about what Axl is saying.  He's saying he  never threatened to not go on stage unless the contracts were signed.  He's not talking about what management did or did not do.  He's speaking for himself, about his own actions, or lack thereof in this case.

Ali
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2012, 07:16:48 PM »

I'm sorry, but I think you are mistaken about what Axl is saying.  He's saying he  never threatened to not go on stage unless the contracts were signed.  He's not talking about what management did or did not do.  He's speaking for himself, about his own actions, or lack thereof in this case.

I know that.  That's what I meant when I said that Axl's and Duff's accounts differ.  Axl says he didn't threaten to refuse to go onstage, and Duff and Slash both said that the person delivering the papers said or implied that Axl was threatening that.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2012, 08:59:43 PM »

I know that.  That's what I meant when I said that Axl's and Duff's accounts differ.  Axl says he didn't threaten to refuse to go onstage, and Duff and Slash both said that the person delivering the papers said or implied that Axl was threatening that.
That's not exactly true, either, I'm afraid.  Slash, whether or not it was intentional or he was intending to be literal, did not portray it as someone from the management team giving him and Duff the contract papers.  I know some people think that detail is insignificant, but  I happen to think that it has helped perpetuate the belief that Axl "blackmailed" Slash and Duff out of the name. 

Slash:  "Before a gig one night in '92, [Axl] hands us a contract saying that if the band breaks up, he's taking the name,'' says Slash. ''Unfortunately, we signed it. I didn't think he'd go on stage otherwise.''

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,389304,00.html

Ali
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2012, 08:15:57 PM »

Apparently Slash did Opie and Anthony right after Stern yesterday. Can't find that interview yet. But I listened to the end of O&A and they were talking about how Slash's "people" were difficult. He came on right after the band Train (who suck btw). The Train guys wanted a picture with Slash and his publicist or whoever wasn't having it. It sounded like it was a bit awkward from the way they were talking about it.
Took me awhile to find this, but I remember reading about this way back when.  Well Howard brought this up the other day.  He was a little miffed about Zeppelin going on Letterman and not doing his show.  Also they tried to get Neil Young on and he didn't want to get up that early to do the show and only did "The Daily Show" for promo.  So in his mini rant about the power of the show and such, he talked about how Slash did an about face recently.

A written review taken from http://www.marksfriggin.com/news12/12-3.htm#tue

Howard took a call from Tommy in Malden who asked if he saw the guys from Led Zeppelin on Letterman last night. Howard said he DVR'd it but hasn't seen it yet. Tommy said those guys are looking pretty old. Howard said some of these guys don't age very well. He said Joe Perry from Aerosmith is aging well but Jimmy Page and Robert Plant aren't aging well. Howard said if they made a deal with the devil the deal must be running out. Howard said they resemble nothing of the pretty boys they were. Howard said that Jimmy used tot be a rock god and Plant used to have his hair flowing but now you think you're visiting middle earth when you see them.

Howard said that all of these guys like Neil Young and Pete Townshend don't do his show. He said he goes nuts when he sees them on Letterman and Jon Stewart's show. Howard said it's a non-interview. He said he hasn't seen Letterman but he's sure there was no substance. Howard said he knows Dave just got the Kennedy Center Honors but he should get it. Howard said he actually asks questions. Howard said he is a rock DJ and he knows rock information. Howard said when he sees these guys on the other shows it's frustrating to him. Howard said if he could get a hold of Led Zeppelin he could do a great interview. Gary said they were out promoting and they tried to get them on the show. He said they tried to get Pete Townshend on the show. Howard said Pete hates him. He said that he asked about the internet and the boys and he walked out of the interview. Howard said these motherfuckers...they were his heroes.

Howard said he blames the publicists. Howard said they have 22 million listeners and they have 60-70 percent of that number listening to his channels. Howard said if you put all of the late night guys ratings together they still have more listeners there on his channels. Howard said Adrienne Curry comes on the show and she ends up the number one Google search. Gary said he gets the line ''He's not doing radio'' from the publicists. Howard said that you go where you can sell product. Howard said he goes on Letterman and he barely mentions the product he's selling. Howard said they come on this show to sell product. Gary said Kid Rock sold a lot of records after he was on Howard's show. Howard said of course he did.

Howard said Slash was on the show and they got a call from his publicist who said that they spent too much time talking about Guns N' Roses. Howard said that Slash called the show a few days later and he was sorry he said anything because he had the fans coming up to him and talking about how great the interview was. Howard said he was so glad to hear that. Howard said Billy Corgan came in and said that he was responsible for boosting the sales of his album.

Gary said the publicists are afraid of the show. He said he tried to get Mark Knopfler on the show. Howard said he's glad he didn't get him on the show. Howard said no one gives a fuck about him. Gary said Mark didn't do anything wrong in this story. It was 1987. Gary said he called the publicists and the publicist said he didn't want to do the show. Gary said he went to another show he was on and Mark said he wanted to be on the show. He said the publicist was afraid to ask Mark if he wanted to do the show. Howard said the publicists want him when they have some shitty artist that no one knows. Howard said Mark is a great guitar player. Howard told Gary to check with him before booking him. Gary said that was in 1987.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Siamese Democracy
Rocker

« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »

Ali - There is no sense dwelling on the past.  Different times back then, and things changed for the better.  Axl founded the band hence he owns and deserved the band name no matter how it was obtained.  If you are insuating perhaps management lied on Axl's behalf that would be incorrect.  Axl got the name during a renogotiation.  Plain and simple.  The rest is just fluff.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: