Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:36:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  2014 South America tour setlist
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 South America tour setlist  (Read 39850 times)
Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »

It would be an interesting experiment to have people on here pick their dream setlist, not for one show, but for five shows.  Then we could examine the variance in songs.  Factors to take into account are a set that lasts over 2.5 hours and the fact that of those five shows, about 95% of the people (or higher) are attending only one show and therefore wouldn't understand your attempt at varying the songs.

My thoughts....for what they are worth.

Would I trade KOHD for COMA....damn right, but if I had the almighty power to make that call, I am sure I would piss off more people attending than would be happy.

Us that attend multiple shows (sometimes consecutively) are the minority....

peace

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2014, 01:25:21 PM »

I really don't think anybody would or should miss KOHD if they replaced it with a CD song or a Coma or something like that...

same with live and let Die...i mean.. those are cover songs that were performed and made famous to larger audiences by the old band...not this one...id rather they play more of the songs these guys chipped in on

i dont need them... but obviously thats just my feel on it

i agree with jarmo on one thing... you simply cant please everybody with the setlist... especially a GNR setlist... where the catalogue and history is complicated to say the least....

Id prefer as many CD era songs as possible ... thats what represents the current group even a little bit

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Ja5oN
Rocker

« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »

So if you were outside the GNR concert asking people as they go in if they would rather hear KOHD vs Coma....you honestly think more people would say Coma?

I would say Coma, but I think I am in the minority here....

Note:  This is just for theoretical discussion purposes, because Axl can play what the fuck Axl wants and I'm still going and loving it. lol

Toronto 10/29&30/17
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2014, 02:09:06 PM »

So if you were outside the GNR concert asking people as they go in if they would rather hear KOHD vs Coma....you honestly think more people would say Coma?

I would say Coma, but I think I am in the minority here....

Note:  This is just for theoretical discussion purposes, because Axl can play what the fuck Axl wants and I'm still going and loving it. lol

I get it I get it....

my point was/is i dont think anybody would really miss those covers as long as the main GNR songs are played... play something from the newer versions of GNR over those covers ( i wont even say play a completely new song, cuz i know that makes me a whiner and a complainer)

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2014, 02:28:07 PM »

Too often people get their back up and start making ridiculous suggestions.

Like being told that anyone that dares question the setlist is actually suggesting they drop things like WTTJ or YCBM.  That's obviously ridiculous.  No one is saying that.

I don't even see people all that fired up about setlists mid-leg.  But, people will say, and I am one of them, that the exact same songs in the exact same order on different legs of the tour (some, quite literally, a year or more apart) is not a good thing.  It certainly does nothing to dispel the theory that this is little more than a nostalgia act these days and not terribly interested in doing anything new.

But, no, no one is suggesting they drop WTTJ.  Or do some too cool for the room setlist for the uberfan with a bunch of b-sides or deep album cuts.

And for what has to be about the 847th time, "the people in the crowd seemed to enjoy it" has nothing to do with what is being discussed here.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ja5oN
Rocker

« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2014, 02:36:17 PM »

What I believe your discussing is....
"Venus, Mars and Jupiter have alligned in the sky and GNR is coming over to my house for the sole purpose of playing my birthday party and have requested I put together a setlist of the songs, in order, I want them to perform.  And my answer would be...."

Right am I close?  Because otherwise we are back arguing the majority vs minority or tickets sales generation or as you quoted it
 "the people in the crowd seemed to enjoy it".

So Yes I would replace KOHD with Coma and a few other changes, but....I can still hardly wait for Vegas!

Toronto 10/29&30/17
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2014, 02:50:17 PM »

What I believe your discussing is....
"Venus, Mars and Jupiter have alligned in the sky and GNR is coming over to my house for the sole purpose of playing my birthday party and have requested I put together a setlist of the songs, in order, I want them to perform.  And my answer would be...."

Right am I close?  Because otherwise we are back arguing the majority vs minority or tickets sales generation or as you quoted it
 "the people in the crowd seemed to enjoy it".

So Yes I would replace KOHD with Coma and a few other changes, but....I can still hardly wait for Vegas!

I think they are 2 different conversations.

The first would be the "dream" setlist.  Which, I think even going in you acknowledge is a literal dream and fantasy and unlikely to ever happen.  Like the people that put together setlists including 'Locomotive' (played 3 times EVER), 'Coma' (played 4 times EVER), and 'Breakdown' (played 2 times EVER).  And most of the big singles left out.  Or a setlist that is 35 songs long.  These are not real world.

But the other conversation is about more realistic suggestions.  In this scenario, songs like WTTY, SCOM, PC, YCBM, NR...all are present.  But maybe you take a group like 'It's So Easy', 'Mr. Brownstone', 'Rocket Queen', and only play 2 each night.  Rotate both the songs themselves and where they are played.  Play something off the UYI albums that was not a single.  Play 'Catcher' one night, and 'Street Of Dreams' the next.  That sort of thing.

What some fans are actually suggesting in that second example is not all that hard to do.  But you spend so much time knocking down strawmen arguments, you eventually throw up your hands.  Which...seems to be the intention of the people building up those strawmen.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2014, 03:01:12 PM »

I think the point some seem to be missing is, for the majority of fans, GN?R has become and forever will be a nostalgia act.
Most fans attend shows in hopes to hear the radio hits they grew up with. This is true for most if not all bands after a point in time.
In this case it?s songs written by an entirely different band.
That band ended in the mid 90?s, and material introduced by post UYI incarnations has been met with lukewarm at best reception.
The world isn?t clamoring for new GN?R, and no one outside of this forum has any delusions they will be returning to the top of the charts.
Their time came and went, regardless of lineup.

Plenty of Axl?s decisions, actions or lacktherof leave me scratching my head, but setlist selection isn?t really one of them.
Adding deep cuts sounds cool to me. More CD era tracks sounds nice to posters at htgth.
The majority of the crowd couldn't care less about either.
Ja5oN
Rocker

« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2014, 03:10:27 PM »

I think they have delivered exactly what  D-GenerationX has described as

"But the other conversation is about more realistic suggestions.  In this scenario, songs like WTTY, SCOM, PC, YCBM, NR...all are present.  But maybe you take a group like 'It's So Easy', 'Mr. Brownstone', 'Rocket Queen', and only play 2 each night.  Rotate both the songs themselves and where they are played.  Play something off the UYI albums that was not a single.  Play 'Catcher' one night, and 'Street Of Dreams' the next.  That sort of thing."

Here is my GNR Experience as an example:

You can see things like I.R.S., Madagascar, Scraped, Catcher, Out to Get Me, My Michelle, 14 Years, Civil War all alternated.
Now granted that is 6 concerts, so obviously if you attend more = more repeats.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:19:09 PM by Ja5oN » Logged

Toronto 10/29&30/17
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »

I think the point some seem to be missing is, for the majority of fans, GN?R has become and forever will be a nostalgia act.
Most fans attend shows in hopes to hear the radio hits they grew up with. This is true for most if not all bands after a point in time.
In this case it?s songs written by an entirely different band.
That band ended in the mid 90?s, and material introduced by post UYI incarnations has been met with lukewarm at best reception.
The world isn?t clamoring for new GN?R, and no one outside of this forum has any delusions they will be returning to the top of the charts.
Their time came and went, regardless of lineup.

Plenty of Axl?s decisions, actions or lacktherof leave me scratching my head, but setlist selection isn?t really one of them.
Adding deep cuts sounds cool to me. More CD era tracks sounds nice to posters at htgth.
The majority of the crowd couldn't care less about either.

Yeah this is pretty spot on...

my hopes for the setlist are purely just my personal opinion... and I don't think it would upset the overall crowd if they added CD songs and took out a couple covers/illusion songs

if steven tyler got a new band and played 75 percent old aerosmith songs instead of the new songs his band made... wouldnt that be ...

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2014, 03:56:33 PM »

You can see things like I.R.S., Madagascar, Scraped, Catcher, Out to Get Me, My Michelle, 14 Years, Civil War all alternated.
Now granted that is 6 concerts, so obviously if you attend more = more repeats.

Oh, no doubt.

But here is more what I was getting at.  Before this tour, they had not played a show since mid 2013.  And that those 2013 shows were after a break from the ones in 2012.  Which were after a break from the ones done in 2011.

Yet over 3 years, and several months long break in between...what changed?  Not a hell of a lot.  One cover swapped out for another, a few instrumental solo swapped out for another, and a new song done by one Ron from his solo work.  None of which have to do with Guns N' Roses tunes.

People at over at MYGNR were posting setlists before this tour even started.  Were they doing it to be a smartass?  No question about it.  But the fact of the matter is that they were right.  All comedy comes from a grain of truth.  Because all they did was cut and paste the setlists from 2013. 

GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2014, 04:31:56 PM »

I'd really like to see There Was A Time become a staple

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2014, 04:46:17 PM »

I would too, because its far and away my favorite song on the album.  The only new song I think stands up with any of their classic stuff.

But if there is a good live version of it, I don't have it.  Axl has a bugger of a time with those vocals.

NCrazy
Headliner

« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2014, 05:20:26 PM »

.  That is at least 1 thing I think we can all agree on! I am so fortunate to hear it played in Canada sounding incredible then catching 2 of Franks's Drumstick's- amazing!  beer

Greensboro 91'
Greensboro 06'
Monterrey 07'
Hamilton, 09'
London, 09'
UK, 10'
SC 10'
SC 10'
CT,NJ,WB
UK 10'
SC 10'

O2' 10'
SC 10'
CT,NJ WB 11

O2 Arena UK, 10'
Birmingham, UK 10'
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2014, 07:00:49 PM »

The guitar work on TWAT is incredible, all the way through.

And Bucket's solo at the end is genius.  Sucks he didn't work out, but at least we have this brilliant track.

gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2014, 09:43:32 PM »

I would too, because its far and away my favorite song on the album.  The only new song I think stands up with any of their classic stuff.

I disagree.  There are plenty of classics that do not belong in the same league as "This I love" and "Catcher"  among others.  Just my opinion.  This I love in person blew me away!

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2014, 08:33:47 AM »

To me the 3 best live songs from CD are the title track, TIL and Sorry....
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2014, 10:43:35 AM »

This I Love is really good live....it was a surprise to me and got a very good reception from the crowd the 2 times I saw it performed.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2014, 12:11:31 PM »

Omg... I forgot about "Sorry"

Amazing live!

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
nick6sic6
VIP

Kindness is a treasure

« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2014, 05:47:53 AM »

Omg... I forgot about "Sorry"

Amazing live!

Yes it is.but I'd prefer not to hear it again.The venom is injected.It's time for that whole thing to drop.

Athens 1993,
Lisbon 2006,
Athens 2006,
Belgrade 2010,
Basel 2012,
Sofia 2012
Stockholm 2017
Prague 2022
Athens 2023
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: