Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:42:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Enjoy the read: Chinese Democracy leak story
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Enjoy the read: Chinese Democracy leak story  (Read 15194 times)
velve
Opening Act

Here Today...

« on: January 09, 2014, 12:07:23 AM »

http://www.uproxx.com/music/2014/01/blogger-leaked-chinese-democracy-wrote-8000-words-explaining/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+uproxx%2Ffeatures+%28Uproxx%29&utm_content=FaceBook
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 12:32:07 AM »

A long article, but really interesting. Thanks for posting.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
Siamese Democracy
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 07:36:53 AM »

I wish people who steal could be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. 
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 08:52:29 AM »

That dick practically brags his way through that 'story' - he is just another TMZ wannabe...he should have done hard time, just another internet punk who thinks he has a right to 'share' other peoples work...work he was quite obviously aware was stolen.

Nice to see a Jarmo mention though...policing beyond the borders of HTGTH!!  Good looking out Dude!

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 09:32:36 AM »

I found it amusing how the feds came after him at his house like he was a fugitive mob boss

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 09:45:30 AM »

It was an interesting read.

Question is, does Axl take this as a learning experience?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 12:50:55 PM »

After reading this (yes, I read it all), I've come to the conclusion that Mr Skwerl is a sensationalist. Just the way he describes things makes me feel like the guys an arshole, dunno just the feeling I get.  hihi

Interesting read though, very surprising that he went through all of that for the sake of a few mp3's. I think he is damn lucky that he streamed the songs rather than to offer downloads, as I think he would of been done over like the thief he is...
Princess Leia
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 01:05:25 PM »

I read it. I agree that guy should not be given 15 minutes of fame. After all the record company is responsible for not protecting music. But I also find it pathetic that the F.B.I. is wasting time and money in some idiot leaking music when they should be concerned about terrorists and organized crime
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 01:06:10 PM »

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
gnrfan1797
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 01:19:24 PM »

Chinese Democracy starts NOW!!!!  Smiley
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 02:00:49 PM »

For what?  For who to trust GN'R's copyrighted creative work with?

I certainly hope so.  But, if the source was his record label head, even inadvertently, I'm not sure what recourse there is so long as GN'R is under contract with UMG.

Ali
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 02:06:23 PM »

I certainly hope so.  But, if the source was his record label head, even inadvertently, I'm not sure what recourse there is so long as GN'R is under contract with UMG.

Leaks happen due to sticky fingers.  We all know this.

And the longer you mix, remix, arrange, re-arrange, record, re-record...its all the more chance you give someone with sticky fingers a chance to burn you.  When the liner notes on your album show a list like 300 people long, you are pretty much opening yourself up to greater exposure.

We all heard the leaks and we all heard the finished products.  Was it worth further entire years of delays?  Not really.  But the long drawn out process brings too many people into the fold.

So if there is something to learn, its get the fuck on with it already.  If some of the claims about what is in Axl's magic vault is to be believed, these are largely ready to go.  I don't happen to believe those claims, but let's assume for a second they are true.

Just get them out there.  They are done.  Done as they are going to be and done as they need to be.  A songs does not need a further 2 year delay so Bumble can cut and paste a few riffs over top of an already finished song.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 02:20:35 PM »

And the longer you mix, remix, arrange, re-arrange, record, re-record...its all the more chance you give someone with sticky fingers a chance to burn you.  When the liner notes on your album show a list like 300 people long, you are pretty much opening yourself up to greater exposure.

We all heard the leaks and we all heard the finished products.  Was it worth further entire years of delays?  Not really.  But the long drawn out process brings too many people into the fold.

So if there is something to learn, its get the fuck on with it already.  If some of the claims about what is in Axl's magic vault is to be believed, these are largely ready to go.  I don't happen to believe those claims, but let's assume for a second they are true.

Just get them out there.  They are done.  Done as they are going to be and done as they need to be.  A songs does not need a further 2 year delay so Bumble can cut and paste a few riffs over top of an already finished song.

You don't know what's going on behind the scenes blah blah fucking blah.  Axl could very well be trying ::insert desperate & naive claim about how the evil label is holding up future releases here::

In all seriousness, you're 100% correct.  The songs that leaked were recorded before Bucket left in early 2004.  Assuming the last round of recording was done while Bucket was still around in 2003, that's still 4-5 years that they were collecting dust or being tweaked before someone finally hit the "leak" button.

Now we're back at square 1, with a bunch of songs that are, again, collecting dust in Axl's proverbial vault.  It's just a matter of time before the same shit happens again.  And those involved will cry foul as if it wasn't completely preventable.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:22:37 PM by sofine11 » Logged
gnrfan1797
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 02:24:16 PM »

Yes, okay let's assume Axl has his magic vault full of songs. Maybe they will be released maybe they won't. I honestly feel horrible for artists who don't own there songs. Yes i know some big names got the rights back to there songs but most signed there rights away when they were first signed. Maybe it's exciting in the beginning and maybe it isn't.  We all know Axl's disdain for the music industry. Does anyone else think part of the reason not much has been released is because he doesn't want to deal with record companies anymore? I for one would grow tired of releasing songs i write but don't actually own.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 02:27:33 PM »

The songs that leaked were recorded before Bucket left in early 2004.  Assuming the last round of recording was done while Bucket was still around in 2003, that's still 4-5 years that they were collecting dust or being tweaked before someone finally hit the "leak" button.

Now we're back at square 1, with a bunch of songs that are, again, collecting dust in Axl's proverbial vault.  It's just a matter of time before the same shit happens again.  And those involved will cry foul as if it wasn't completely preventable.

And I've tried bringing this up before because I think it has merit.  Excessive delays and lack of action can lead to delays.

Right now, I am willing to bet there are songs in people's hands already.  Maybe they are involved in the album making process, maybe they are just a friend of a guy that was and swiped it.

The longer Axl makes everyone wait, the greater the chance one of these guys will just say "fuck it" and leak it, because it might not come out any other way.

Is this "right"?  Of course not.  But its human nature.  Why not get out in front of it?

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 02:27:44 PM »

Yes, the long drawn out process brings more people in the fold.  

But, if the CD with the leaks really came from off of Jimmy Iovine's desk, I'm not sure why you think the length of time had any effect on the probability of a leak.  This wasn't some person brought on to work on the project.  This is the head of GN'R's record company.  The record could've been worked on for two years with someone walking into Jimmy Iovine's office while he was in the process of listening to the record and made or taken a copy, which subsequently leaked.

Given the alleged source of the leak, and the fact that there is no way around dealing with the head of the label so long as you're contractually tied to said label, I think the time issue is irrelevant in this case.

Ali
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 02:31:33 PM »

The songs that leaked were recorded before Bucket left in early 2004.  Assuming the last round of recording was done while Bucket was still around in 2003, that's still 4-5 years that they were collecting dust or being tweaked before someone finally hit the "leak" button.

And I've tried bringing this up before because I think it has merit.  Excessive delays and lack of action can lead to delays.

Right now, I am willing to bet there are songs in people's hands already.  Maybe they are involved in the album making process, maybe they are just a friend of a guy that was and swiped it.

The longer Axl makes everyone wait, the greater the chance one of these guys will just say "fuck it" and leak it, because it might not come out any other way.

Is this "right"?  Of course not.  But its human nature.  Why not get out in front of it?

Precisely.  No one's justifying leaks here.  Only saying that it's utterly naive to think that, with all the people involved, sitting on "finished" tracks for nearly a decade won't lead to eventual leaks.  We saw that with "Going Down" this summer, and as surely as God made little green apples, we'll see it again so long as this non-activity persists.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:34:29 PM by sofine11 » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 02:38:03 PM »

But, if the CD with the leaks really came from off of Jimmy Iovine's desk, I'm not sure why you think the length of time had any effect on the probability of a leak.  This wasn't some person brought on to work on the project.  This is the head of GN'R's record company.  The record could've been worked on for two years with someone walking into Jimmy Iovine's office while he was in the process of listening to the record and made or taken a copy, which subsequently leaked.

But that article only talk about the Antiquiet version of the leaks.

We got 3 leaks right before the Hammerstein shows in early spring of 2006.  I had those leaks on my iPod for over 2 full years before I even heard of Skwerl or Antiquiet.

The overall point is that the long wait produces too many variables.  Get on with it already.

If you wrote and record a song in 2003...what is the hold up here?  It needs an (up to this point) 11 year delay in getting released?

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 02:42:38 PM »

But that article only talk about the Antiquiet version of the leaks.

We got 3 leaks right before the Hammerstein shows in early spring of 2006.  I had those leaks on my iPod for over 2 full years before I even heard of Skwerl or Antiquiet.

The overall point is that the long wait produces too many variables.  Get on with it already.

If you wrote and record a song in 2003...what is the hold up here?  It needs an (up to this point) 11 year delay in getting released?

Per Axl, the first round of leaks from February 2006 (Better, IRS, TWAT) came from that time he pre-viewed tracks at The Crazy Horse Too in Las Vegas during the summer of 2003, when he played them for someone he was considering working with.   

The MSL leaks from May, 2007 (Chinese Democracy, The Blues, & Madagascar) came from someone in Portugal who claimed they got it from Fernando. 

2007 is also when the 1999 Sean Beaven produced versions of TWAT & IRS were leaked anonymously.

The Skwerl leaks in June, 2008 were something completely different.

Not to mention the still ongoing round of leaks from MSL's hacked emails.  Who knows what else is out there?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:52:39 PM by sofine11 » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »

Per Axl, the first round of leaks from February 2006 (Better, IRS, TWAT) came from that time he pre-viewed tracks at The Crazy Horse Too in Las Vegas during the summer of 2003, when he played them for someone he was considering working with.   

And this is really just my case in point.

Those leaks in 2006 were pretty much good to go.  A few minor tweaks were made, but nothing radically different. 

But he got someone involved in in the process a full three years earlier that burned him.  And from there, he waits ANOTHER 2 years.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: