Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 05:47:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Tommy: "We want to make a new album, it's a good time"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tommy: "We want to make a new album, it's a good time"  (Read 40837 times)
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »

a new album would be so great Grin

If the first concert has CD-WTTJ-ISE-MB opening the show, I think we will likely be able to pretty much guess the rest of the setlist, in order.

wished wttj came back as an opener, beside the lack of new songs I think gnr has a fairly varied setlist.

Motley Crue (I love them) has also been playing a summat predictable setlist the last decade.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:32:32 PM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 04:14:36 PM »

Motley Crue (I love them) has also been playing a summat predictable setlist the last decade.

Already got my ticket for the farewell tour.

But I consider them a total nostalgia act.  I have always been a fan.  But I got a group of people going with that couldn't tell you anything about the Crue since 1989, and don't care to know.

In theory, GNR is still a viable band.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »

What would be cool if they was more creative doing old songs. Take 'their law' with The Prodigy.

Listen to how the intro (it last about a minute) has changed:

Original from the 90's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l62UTsRQ6qY
Live from the 20k's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GdAhopK8kY

That rocks \m/ headbanger
You can't do that much to wttj or scom-intro of course, but it would still be cool if they 'renewed' the repetoir.

Axl actually re-recorder afd and I am sure Tommy (punkrocker originally  Grin ) wouldn't mind.

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 03:49:22 AM »

The argument you can sometimes get around here seems to be an insistence they are not referred to as a nostalgia act, a touring band, or a greatest hits concert type of operation.  Despite all the evidence pointing to just that, and no evidence to refute any of it.

If GNR is just a greatest hits nostalgia act, why don't they play more of their hits?

And they don't have that many hits to begin with, so why do they play for so long? Why don't they just go through the motions, play hits for 90-120 mins and go home? Why the marathon shows?

When they were finally touring the states and the album was 3-4 years old, why were they still playing 7 songs from Chinese Democracy every night? Isn't that the exact opposite of what a greatest hits nostalgia act would do? Most bands with a 25-30 year history that are just living off their hits will only play 1-2 songs off their new album, tops. Why has GNR made their latest album such a focus of their shows if they're a greatest hits nostalgia act?

If GNR is just a greatest hits nostalgia act, why do they play so many deep cuts? And so many obscure covers? And b-sides? And songs from the band members' solo albums? Etc etc.

None of this seems like the behavior of a greatest hits nostalgia act.

Why not just admit that they haven't released a follow up to Chinese on a timetable that you deem acceptable, and therefore you choose to paint them in the most negative light possible?
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 09:10:55 AM »

What are these "deep cuts" they are digging out?  I'm curious.

Oh, and most bands with a 25-30 year history tend to have more than 4 proper albums worth of original material, which is a whole other argument.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:14:38 AM by D-GenerationX » Logged

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 09:28:22 AM »

The argument you can sometimes get around here seems to be an insistence they are not referred to as a nostalgia act, a touring band, or a greatest hits concert type of operation.  Despite all the evidence pointing to just that, and no evidence to refute any of it.

If GNR is just a greatest hits nostalgia act, why don't they play more of their hits?

And they don't have that many hits to begin with, so why do they play for so long? Why don't they just go through the motions, play hits for 90-120 mins and go home? Why the marathon shows?

When they were finally touring the states and the album was 3-4 years old, why were they still playing 7 songs from Chinese Democracy every night? Isn't that the exact opposite of what a greatest hits nostalgia act would do? Most bands with a 25-30 year history that are just living off their hits will only play 1-2 songs off their new album, tops. Why has GNR made their latest album such a focus of their shows if they're a greatest hits nostalgia act?

If GNR is just a greatest hits nostalgia act, why do they play so many deep cuts? And so many obscure covers? And b-sides? And songs from the band members' solo albums? Etc etc.

None of this seems like the behavior of a greatest hits nostalgia act.

Why not just admit that they haven't released a follow up to Chinese on a timetable that you deem acceptable, and therefore you choose to paint them in the most negative light possible?

What are the "obscure covers"?  You mean The Rolling Stones and The Who?

And they don't have that many hits to begin with???  Really???  I'm somewhat perplexed by that.  They have many hits, all of which are played on tour.  Note: I'm not complaining about that, it's just a fact.

Last year, they played on average 3-4 songs from CD (CD, Better, TIL, Catcher).  That's not really a focus of the show. 

And why do they play so many solos, other band members songs?  I don't know.  To give Axl a break, showcase the other members.  They've been doing that forever so that actually points towards them being more of a nostalgia act.

Name one song the current lineup plays that they created?  Answer:  none.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »

All correct.

And yeah, I find the solos a bit tedious, but its obviously to give Axl a breather.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 12:24:42 PM »

Ugh. How discouraging in regards to them putting out new music in any form "soon".  Fuckin' weak.  Cry
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 12:54:16 PM »

Well, I think you'd need your head examined if you thought we were getting anything soon.

Even as we go round and round and round on things they are doing poorly, or not even doing at all, I don't feel its ever done with a real thought the finish line is close.

Every single discussion about a new album could basically finish with "not like this is ever going to happen, of course."

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 12:56:37 PM »

Well there's your answer to the "they don't want to make a new album" statements made by some...

You go from "there's no new album and they don't even want to make one" to "there's no new album soon enough".  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 01:31:46 PM »

What's the problem? They haven't even started touring yet and people are already complaining about the set-list? crying
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 01:35:58 PM »

Well, I think you'd need your head examined if you thought we were getting anything soon.

Even as we go round and round and round on things they are doing poorly, or not even doing at all, I don't feel its ever done with a real thought the finish line is close.

Every single discussion about a new album could basically finish with "not like this is ever going to happen, of course."

In my opinion, there are two sides to the coin of possibilities of what the next album would/could be.  First is that it will consist of the rest of the Chi Dem era tracks, or the album that (per Axl) was supposed to drop in fall 2009.  This album would have likely had The General, Atlas Shrugged, Soul Monster, Seven, Zodiac, ect. on it.  The other side is that it will consist of all the music that this lineup has been allegedly writing over the past 5 years.

I've never bought into the theory that the next album could be a mixture of both.  It just wouldn't make sense, from a sound/style perspective.  Tommy's comments here do not bode well for either scenario.  It's nice that he's hopeful about getting together and making something happen, but good intentions an album does not make.

The best case scenario here, is that these guys are not remotely privy to Axl's dealings with the label, and that he's negotiating to get the rest of the Chi Dem era tracks out under the radar.  Not very likely, but again, best case scenario for new music.

Otherwise, going by Tommy's statement, we're no closer to a new album than we were in fall of 2009, when again, the next album was supposed to drop.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:06:45 PM by sofine11 » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 02:30:23 PM »

What's the problem? They haven't even started touring yet and people are already complaining about the set-list? crying

Let me ask you this.

If you want to say that's premature, fine.  If you want to say wait and see before you criticize, fine.

HOWEVER...

If the shows start up and it is the same old, same old...are we good then?  And will you, and others, deem its OK to then be critical?

Because, to be completely honest, I'm having trouble visualizing getting that go ahead from some here.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:33:53 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 02:33:09 PM »

In my opinion, there are two sides to the coin of possibilities of what the next album would/could be.  First is that it will consist of the rest of the Chi Dem era tracks, or the album that (per Axl) was supposed to drop in fall 2009.  This album would have likely had The General, Atlas Shrugged, Soul Monster, Seven, Zodiac, ect. on it.  The other side is that it will consist of all the music that this lineup has been allegedly writing over the past 5 years.

I've never bought into the theory that the next album could be a mixture of both.  It just wouldn't make sense, from a sound/style perspective.  Tommy's comments here do not bode well for either scenario.  It's nice that he's hopeful about getting together and making something happen, but good intentions an album does not make.

I agree.

I think if we ever get anything (big if) its more of the same.  Tracks largely done by guys long gone with a few flourishes cut and pasted over top by guys like DJ, Ron, and Frank.

And while not my preference, I'll take it.  At least its something.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »

Well there's your answer to the "they don't want to make a new album" statements made by some...

You go from "there's no new album and they don't even want to make one" to "there's no new album soon enough".  hihi

I'm actually encouraged Tommy was even talking about it.

But I'd hold off on this whole "there is your answer" routine you are trying to run on us here.  Its encouraging talk, yes.  At this point, just talk.  But a start.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 02:36:37 PM »

I agree.

I think if we ever get anything (big if) its more of the same.  Tracks largely done by guys long gone with a few flourishes cut and pasted over top by guys like DJ, Ron, and Frank.

And while not my preference, I'll take it.  At least its something.

Agreed.  Thing is, that "if" gets bigger with every new year and every new leg that is not in support of an upcoming album.  

But, yes, if it ever miraculously materializes I see it consisting of many of the aforementioned song titles touched up by DJ, Ron & Frank.
bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 04:14:01 PM »

D-Generation X -

Appetite and Chinese only had a few singles each, so when you're playing 7-10 songs a night from each of those albums like GNR did from 2009-2012, many of them are deep cuts, not the hits. Same goes for Lies. It only had one single, so when they were playing 3-4 songs from it a night in 2012, that means a few were deep cuts, not singles or hits.

They don't play deep cuts from the Illusions, but over the last few years they've brought back songs the fans demanded like Don't Cry, Estranged and Civil War. All were singles, but hadn't been played in many years and sure enough were the songs fans were demanding the most in terms of Illusion songs that weren't being played on the 02 or 06 tours.

Yet if they give the fans what they want, suddenly they're accused of just playing the hits. Some people are just going to complain no matter what.

You claimed there was "no evidence" to refute your position that GNR is a greatest hits nostalgia act. I provided plenty of evidence, all of which you've now ignored. GNR's behavior is not consistent with that of a band content to play the hits and little else.

You see these bands all the time. Going on co-headlining tours, playing their biggest hits for 75 minutes and then going home.

The bottom line is that you want a new album and until you get one, you will complain about anything they do.

And the thing is, if you're not happy with how long it's been since Chinese, that's fine. Express that gripe. You're entitled to any opinion you wish. But let's not lie about the kind of show GNR puts on. It's a far cry from what a greatest hits nostalgia act would play.

Ginger King -

GNR plays plenty of covers that have never been released on any of their albums. They also brought back a cover that was a b-side on a 1988 EP that was only released in Japan (which would be considered fairly obscure).

GNR has a platinum selling covers album with several hit singles, not to mention Sympathy for the Devil was a hit as well. Yet, instead of playing one of those four hits, they opt instead to play other cover songs. Is that behavior consistent with what a greatest hits nostalgia band would play?

You say they play all of their hits on tour, but they don't play Civil War anymore, they don't play Yesterdays, they don't play Ain't It Fun, Hair of the Dog, Since I Don't Have You or Sympathy for the Devil, all of which were hits. Dead Horse, Garden of Eden, etc also received major airplay on MTV, yet aren't played.

GNR could very easily play 90 mins of hits and go home, but they don't. They play twice as long and play plenty of other material. This just doesn't seem like something a greatest hits nostalgia act would do.

Last year they were only playing 4 songs from chinese, but the album was five years old at that point. Any greatest hits nostaglia band would have been playing ZERO songs from their latest album at that point, yet GNR still insisted on playing four.

You say name one song the current lineup plays that they created . . . if that invalidates the band, then the UYI tour is invalidated by your logic as well.

And if the only thing that is valid to you is a band playing songs every current member helped write, that would mean GNR has never played a worthy show in their entire history based on your logic as Adler never had a hand in songwriting.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2014, 05:03:36 PM »

Appetite and Chinese only had a few singles each, so when you're playing 7-10 songs a night from each of those albums like GNR did from 2009-2012, many of them are deep cuts, not the hits. Same goes for Lies. It only had one single, so when they were playing 3-4 songs from it a night in 2012, that means a few were deep cuts, not singles or hits.

I would say just about every GNR concert, no matter who is on stage, from now until the end of time will include :

Jungle
Brownstone
Paradise
Sweet Child
Patience
Live And Let Die
November Rain
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
You Could Be Mine

And they should be.  People want to hear those tunes.  And all bands have songs that never leave.  You aren't going to go see the Stones and not hear 'Jumpin Jack Falsh' or 'Brown Sugar'.

But your defintion of "deep cuts" is pretty liberal here, come on.  'It's So Easy' and 'Nightrain' are not deep cuts.  'Think About You', now there is a deep cut.

They don't play deep cuts from the Illusions, but over the last few years they've brought back songs the fans demanded like Don't Cry, Estranged and Civil War. All were singles, but hadn't been played in many years and sure enough were the songs fans were demanding the most in terms of Illusion songs that weren't being played on the 02 or 06 tours.

Yeah, encouraging to see some of those brought back in 2011 onwards.  After being totally ignored in 2002, 2006, 2007, 2009, and 2010.

Yet if they give the fans what they want, suddenly they're accused of just playing the hits. Some people are just going to complain no matter what.

This is so tired.  Seriouly, come up with something new already.  Its boring.

You claimed there was "no evidence" to refute your position that GNR is a greatest hits nostalgia act. I provided plenty of evidence, all of which you've now ignored. GNR's behavior is not consistent with that of a band content to play the hits and little else.

When they first started touring in 2009 and 2010, a larger number of CD songs were played.

Which makes sense, I think, as these were the songs the current band worked on.  It has to be more rewarding for them to play 'Shackler's Revenge' than it does 'Rocket Queen', no?  Its something you had a hand in creating versus covering a song done by others.

But, facts are facts.  As the neverending tour wears on, CD songs get sacrificed.  'If The World', 'Sorry', 'Shackler's Revenge', 'Scraped'.  These were the first cuts.  Removed for a few more random covers, and never at the expense of the older stuff.

Did this not happen?

You see these bands all the time. Going on co-headlining tours, playing their biggest hits for 75 minutes and then going home.

The bottom line is that you want a new album and until you get one, you will complain about anything they do.

And the thing is, if you're not happy with how long it's been since Chinese, that's fine. Express that gripe. You're entitled to any opinion you wish. But let's not lie about the kind of show GNR puts on. It's a far cry from what a greatest hits nostalgia act would play.

First part : agreed.

Second part : tired, let it go already.

Third part : I can make a better argument they are looking more in the rearviewmirror that you can tell me they are glancing through the windshield.  Like it, don't like it, learn to love it, because that's the way it is.

Betting man?  They aren't coming back next month with "7-10 songs" from CD (using your own figures).  If I'm wrong, I'll say it.  If you are wrong...well, we shall see, hmm?

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 05:33:25 PM »

You say name one song the current lineup plays that they created . . . if that invalidates the band, then the UYI tour is invalidated by your logic as well.

And if the only thing that is valid to you is a band playing songs every current member helped write, that would mean GNR has never played a worthy show in their entire history based on your logic as Adler never had a hand in songwriting.

These weren't to me, but interesting nonetheless.

I believe the argument was that its hard to view the current group on stage as a viable band in the traditional sense because the current line-up has not written, recorded, or released anything. 

I'm not sure the point was ever made that the guys onstage can only play stuff they were all involved in creating.  I know I certainly never made that point, and I can't recall anyone else that did either.

GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »

D-Generation X -

Appetite and Chinese...<snip>
MSL, shouldn't you be blackmailing the band, giving out their personal information, or leaking their copyrighted material?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: