Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 08:57:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Tommy: "We want to make a new album, it's a good time"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tommy: "We want to make a new album, it's a good time"  (Read 40474 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2014, 05:41:21 PM »

D-Generation X -

Appetite and Chinese...<snip>
MSL, shouldn't you be blackmailing the band, giving out their personal information, or leaking their copyrighted material?

Holy shit, is that really him?

Come to think of it, the split up responses to different people is how he posts.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2014, 05:59:52 PM »

lol

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 06:18:05 PM »

I believe the argument was that its hard to view the current group on stage as a viable band in the traditional sense because the current line-up has not written, recorded, or released anything. 

Your argument. Using that same logic, the original band wasn't a band until December 1986 when they released their debut EP and the Gilby lineup wasn't a band until after the tour in November 1993 when they released a cover album with no material written by said line up.... Interestingly enough, Gilby re-recorded Izzy's parts for many of the songs.

Anyway, I love the fact that you guys need to bring up the same fucking arguments into every other thread. There was one about a Facebook post which you managed to bring this up in and now here. Didn't have enough yet? I mean, you stopped replying in the other thread, I thought you were done, but no.... You just moved on to the next thread with the same "it's not a real band" shit.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2014, 06:27:19 PM »

I believe the argument was that its hard to view the current group on stage as a viable band in the traditional sense because the current line-up has not written, recorded, or released anything. 

Your argument. Using that same logic, the original band wasn't a band until December 1986 when they released their debut EP and the Gilby lineup wasn't a band until after the tour in November 1993 when they released a cover album with no material written by said line up.... Interestingly enough, Gilby re-recorded Izzy's parts for many of the songs.

No, I just specifically told you what my point was.

You not liking it and then putting words into my mouth I never said...well, there isn't a whole lot I can do about that.

But I'm damn sure not going to take it all that seriously.

Anyway, I love the fact that you guys need to bring up the same fucking arguments into every other thread. There was one about a Facebook post which you managed to bring this up in and now here. Didn't have enough yet? I mean, you stopped replying in the other thread, I thought you were done, but no.... You just moved on to the next thread with the same "it's not a real band" shit.

I was responding to a question asked of me. 

If that steams your clams, tell people to stop asking me questions you don't like.

Side note, is that really MSL?  And you let him post here, after what he did??  Would not have figured that.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 06:28:56 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2014, 06:55:12 PM »

You not liking it and then putting words into my mouth I never said...well, there isn't a whole lot I can do about that.

I'm not "liking" something that makes no sense. The same way you don't make sense when you credit an old manager for a tour in the 90s, but won't do the same in 2012-3! It makes no sense!
Because it just looks like you have double standards. One line up gets way with something while you criticize the current for the a very similar thing.

Side note, is that really MSL?  And you let him post here, after what he did??  Would not have figured that.

Excuse me?

I let an user whose identity I don't know post here? Gee...  For a person who hides behind an username, you should know how these things work.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2014, 07:08:05 PM »

I'm not "liking" something that makes no sense. The same way you don't make sense when you credit an old manager for a tour in the 90s, but won't do the same in 2012-3! It makes no sense!
Because it just looks like you have double standards. One line up gets way with something while you criticize the current for the a very similar thing.

See...this puts me in a bad spot.

If answer all these points you choose to re-litigate (for whatever reason), I prolong a conversation that only seems to upset you.  But if I don't, I'm what...ducking them?  At best, I'm pretty rude, just ignoring a guy.  These are shit options.

Give me something to work with here.  And here I thought we had such a nice day the other morning. 

I believe the first post I made in this thread was countering a feeling of pessimism and saying I found Tommy words encouraging.  And subsesquent posts were made in the same vein.

But 'cha don't quote any of THOSE suckers, do ya?

Excuse me?

I let an user whose identity I don't know post here? Gee...  For a person who hides behind an username, you should know how these things work.

I'm asking if "bicycle handgrenade" is MSL.  If it is, I'd be pretty shocked you let him post here, after what he did.

So...him, not him, who cares, for a second.  Question : would you let MSL post here openly after what went down way back when? 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:10:57 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2014, 07:19:41 PM »

I just pointed out the fact that people change what the so called issue is depending on what's said. Tommy says they want to do something, it's bad. If somebody says it's not happening soon, it's bad. For some, it doesn't really matter what's being said, it's bad because the album's not out soon enough.

I mean, if the album was out last year, you'd still have people pointing out how long it took!

I'm asking if "bicycle handgrenade" is MSL.  If it is, I'd be pretty shocked you let him post here, after what he did.

So...him, not him, who cares, for a second.  Question : would you let MSL post here openly after what went down way back when? 

And as I pointed out, it's not always easy to identify people.
We don't exactly cater to the people wanting attention and whose claim to fame is to steal and fuck things up for the band. That's my opinion.
The reason falls under the phrase "supporting GN'R". I don't see that as supporting a band like GN'R. Sorry all Robin Hoods of the Internet.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2014, 07:28:04 PM »

I just pointed out the fact that people change what the so called issue is depending on what's said. Tommy says they want to do something, it's bad. If somebody says it's not happening soon, it's bad. For some, it doesn't really matter what's being said, it's bad because the album's not out soon enough.

I mean, if the album was out last year, you'd still have people pointing out how long it took!

Eh, that's a defeatist mindset.  Not a fan.

Look, I said on this thread's first page, I at least think its encouraging he answered and didn't just laugh it off.  I think that's a good thing.

And as I pointed out, it's not always easy to identify people.
We don't exactly cater to the people wanting attention and whose claim to fame is to steal and fuck things up for the band. That's my opinion.
The reason falls under the phrase "supporting GN'R". I don't see that as supporting a band like GN'R. Sorry all Robin Hoods of the Internet.

That's what I would think would be your stance. 

Hey, I don't know if its him either.  I've posted with that dude on 3 boards.  Yet I still answered the last "bicycle handgrenade" post without even seeing the connection.  Those split up posts are how he posts.

If its not him, it's someone doing a homage.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:30:13 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2014, 07:34:34 PM »

Look, I said on this thread's first page, I at least think its encouraging he answered and didn't just laugh it off.  I think that's a good thing.

Maybe but a similar thing happened to Chinese. It was "never coming out" and then it did so it was changed to how long it took....

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2014, 07:39:46 PM »

Maybe but a similar thing happened to Chinese. It was "never coming out" and then it did so it was changed to how long it took....

Well, it took a little long.  That's wasn't exactly the most unsupported criticism of alltime.

But Tommy talking about new stuff is good.  Who cares what someone said on the internet 6 years ago? 

I think any of the other guys lighting a fire under Axl is nothing but a good thing.  No downside in those comments. 

bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2014, 07:53:14 PM »

DX--

You list nine songs that GNR has to play. They choose to play far more than that. They choose to play far longer than any nostalgia act would play. They choose to focus on their latest album far more than any nostalgia act would. They focus on non-singles far more than any nostalgia act would. They focus on covers, b-sides, solo material, etc far more than any nostalgia act would.

Which of those do you disagree with?

My claim is that anything short of a new record will disappoint you, do you deny that? It's okay to be impatient. There is no rule that you must be happy with the length of time between records.

But that doesn't mean GNR is mailing it in with a lame by the numbers hits package. Which is the agenda your pushing. The facts don't support your premise.

As for the "viable band" thing, by your logic, you're also suggesting the UYI tour was not a viable band either. I'm just looking for some consistency.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2014, 08:00:39 PM »

As for the "viable band" thing, by your logic, you're also suggesting the UYI tour was not a viable band either. I'm just looking for some consistency.

The UYI band worked on a 30 song collection they released before their tour.  Before that, the creative force behind the albums did AFD and the Lies EP.  This was was constituted their live show.  It was all them.

The current band, as in the guys onstage right now, haven't done anything like that yet.  We have half a band that worked on one album and 2 others that threw in some flourishes over top of their work on that one album.  The bulk of their their live set are songs they had zero to do with.  Its all still potenetial with this current band.

I find the comparison strained, frankly.  But Jarmo and I just went through this the other day and I'd just be repeating myself.

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2014, 08:07:59 PM »

The current band, as in the guys onstage right now, haven't done anything like that yet.  We have half a band that worked on one album and 2 others that threw in some flourishes over top of their work on that one album.  The bulk of their their live set are songs they had zero to do with.  Its all still potenetial with this current band.
So by this logic, you'd preferred that they scrap ALL the CD material and we'd never have gotten an album in 2008.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2014, 08:13:39 PM »

So by this logic, you'd preferred that they scrap ALL the CD material and we'd never have gotten an album in 2008.

Can you point to an instance where I have said that?  Nyet.

Ideally, I'd like an album done by these guys, yes.  These are the guys in our band right now.  Not Bucket, Robin and that crew.

Will that happen?  No.  There is no way in hell that is going to happen.  The best are we are going to do are CD era songs, primarily done by the same crew that did CD.  The only difference this time around would be DJ joining Ron and Frank throwing in a few flourishes here and there on those songs.  That's best case.

And you know what?  I'll take it.

But will an album like that speak to this current's band's potential and what they can do?  I'd argue no.  An album written and recorded by these guys would tell us that. 

bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 12:13:30 AM »

DX--

Why did you absolutely refuse to respond to the following:

You list nine songs that GNR has to play. They choose to play far more than that. They choose to play far longer than any nostalgia act would play. They choose to focus on their latest album far more than any nostalgia act would. They focus on non-singles far more than any nostalgia act would. They focus on covers, b-sides, solo material, etc far more than any nostalgia act would.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »

DX--

Why did you absolutely refuse to respond to the following:

Page 11 of the Facebook Update thread, MSL.  Its all there, me and Jarmo hashing this all out.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 09:20:16 AM »

The best are we are going to do are CD era songs, primarily done by the same crew that did CD.  The only difference this time around would be DJ joining Ron and Frank throwing in a few flourishes here and there on those songs.  That's best case.

But will an album like that speak to this current's band's potential and what they can do?  I'd argue no.  An album written and recorded by these guys would tell us that. 

In this is an issue because?

I keep reminding you, your "it's not a band" theory doesn't make sense.

Gilby re-doing some guitar parts were already done by Izzy on cover songs made that line up a real band? Your defense seems to be "but the majority of the band that created Use Your Illusion was there".
Many of those songs were created before Matt joined the band. So, when Gilby joined, the people who were still in the band that created the Use Your Illusion material was Axl, Duff and Slash. Izzy was gone.

Matt and Dizzy had joined the band after many of those songs were created. How is that different to Bumble and Frank joining? Gilby joined after the albums were released, just like Dj.

Using your logic, the Gilby line up wasn't a band until they released a cover album because "real" bands play shows, create music and release it. Well, they didn't create music.... But I'm sure you'll be lenient on that considering this is the 1990s.

/jarmo

sandman
Legend

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 09:38:11 AM »

i had been assuming the band was having problems with the label, but based on these comments, tommy seems to imply that it's on the band to get it done.

total speculation of course, but it doesn't seem like they have been trying to get an album out. so if the band does decide to make a new album a priority, hopefully the record label will not do anything to delay it.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »

The best are we are going to do are CD era songs, primarily done by the same crew that did CD.  The only difference this time around would be DJ joining Ron and Frank throwing in a few flourishes here and there on those songs.  That's best case.

In this is an issue because?

I was asked a question and responded to it.

I keep reminding you, your "it's not a band" theory doesn't make sense.

No, you keep telling me you don't share my opinion.  Which is fine.  It ain't no bad day.  People disagree.  Way of the world.

Nowhere in anything I have said is there an edict all must bow down and accept my belief.  If you don't share it, you best change your damn mind right quick. 

Interestingly, I could make an argument you are doing just that, however.  Just some food for thought.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2014, 10:33:54 AM »

i had been assuming the band was having problems with the label, but based on these comments, tommy seems to imply that it's on the band to get it done.

total speculation of course, but it doesn't seem like they have been trying to get an album out. so if the band does decide to make a new album a priority, hopefully the record label will not do anything to delay it.

I agree.

As I, and several others have said, the label as boogeyman routine seems to be an excuse for the inactivity. 

But Tommy, Ron, or whoever else lighting a fire under Axl to get the show on the road is a good thing, and should be seen as such.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: