Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 08:47:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Tommy: "We want to make a new album, it's a good time"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tommy: "We want to make a new album, it's a good time"  (Read 40471 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2014, 11:13:37 PM »

Whatever our disagreements are about how to proceed and what is even possible, I trust we can all agree that the current course is no god damn good.

Ultimately, I do think we are all after the same thing.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
bicycle handgrenade
Headliner

« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2014, 02:09:58 AM »

The current course has resulted in GNR's brand being resurrected, their reputation rebuilt and their image restored.

The media left them for dead after the release of Chinese Democracy.

The current course has resulted in headlining slots on major festivals all over the world, giving the band a great chance to expose the general public to the current lineup.

The current course has resulted in highly publicized residencies, giving the band a great chance to expose the general public to the current lineup.

The current course has generated a few years of positive momentum for the first time in decades.

So no, we don't all agree that the current course is no good. The current course has been very good for the band and very well could turn out to be very good for fans that would like this band to thrive for years to come.

Makes no sense to release an album if nobody is going to care. The current course is making sure that when they do release a new album, a lot more will care than would have if a record had just been thrown out there a year or two ago.
NCrazy
Headliner

« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2014, 05:04:51 AM »

The current course has resulted in GNR's brand being resurrected, their reputation rebuilt and their image restored.

The current course has resulted in headlining slots on major festivals all over the world, giving the band a great chance to expose the general public to the current lineup.

The current course has resulted in highly publicized residencies, giving the band a great chance to expose the general public to the current lineup.

The current course has generated a few years of positive momentum for the first time in decades.

So no, we don't all agree that the current course is no good. The current course has been very good for the band and very well could turn out to be very good for fans that would like this band to thrive for years to come.

Makes no sense to release an album if nobody is going to care. The current course is making sure that when they do release a new album, a lot more will care than would have if a record had just been thrown out there a year or two ago.

This.  I turn blue in the face trying to explain to the average casual GnR fan how successful they continue to be & they have an amazing, cohesive band that consistently plays 2.5+ hr amazing shows all over the world with. I have only met a handful of fans, unless they are hardcore that even are aware there currently is a Guns n Roses band that are very much active and successful beyond what they remembered in the early nineties- the most I've heard from a few casual fans are vague comments about how Buckethead took Slash's place. Most people just assume I'm seeing the original band when I tell them I'm gonna see them in a couple months just a couple hrs. away in PA.  confused

The minority of people who are aware of what's up with GnR though are always blown away by this lineup & amazing shows!  peace 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:12:09 AM by NCrazy » Logged

Greensboro 91'
Greensboro 06'
Monterrey 07'
Hamilton, 09'
London, 09'
UK, 10'
SC 10'
SC 10'
CT,NJ,WB
UK 10'
SC 10'

O2' 10'
SC 10'
CT,NJ WB 11

O2 Arena UK, 10'
Birmingham, UK 10'
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2014, 07:14:50 AM »

So you see a lot of people talking about Guns N' Roses in 2014?  And not just the same few hundred of us on the same few internet message boards?

What you are describing here is an operation with a good marketing plan that is succeeding.  That's your read?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2014, 07:30:58 AM »

You want people talking about GN'R?

What's your recipe to get that to happen?
Let me guess, does it have something to do with the release of an album?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2014, 08:19:41 AM »

You want people talking about GN'R?

What's your recipe to get that to happen?
Let me guess, does it have something to do with the release of an album?

No, that would obviously be crazy.

Look, I'm just reacting to the premise MSL laid out.  It's certainly not mine.  I don't really know how to react, other than to say it sounds familiar.

Like Mitt Romney's campaign in the the last week.  Who assured us to not believe any of those other polls (the ones they didn't control) telling us bad things.  Victory was at hand. 

Or Vince McMahon talking about the XFL.  Dismissing every inconvenient truth that Bob Costas threw at him.  Insisting everyone was missing the point, because they were "brand building".

We know how things turned out for Mitt Romney and the XFL.

If you honestly and truly believe that anything done in the past 5 years has led to the "GNR brand being resurrected, their image rebuilt, and image restored", or that they are laying the groundwork for a better reception to a new album, then nothing I say will make a dime's bit of difference.  All I can bring to the party is facts on the ground.  If the bouncer has been instructed not to let such people in the door, I guess I'm stuck.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2014, 08:28:58 AM »

What's your definition of "people talking". What kind of magnitude are we talking about here?

Because correct me if I'm wrong, but when a rock band releases an album, only a small part of the world talks about it. If you want to engage the rest, you need scandals....

If you honestly and truly believe that anything done in the past 5 years has led to the "GNR brand being resurrected, their image rebuilt, and image restored", or that they are laying the groundwork for a better reception to a new album, then nothing I say will make a dime's bit of difference.  All I can bring to the party is facts on the ground.  If the bouncer has been instructed not to let such people in the door, I guess I'm stuck.

Let me ask you this. Would you say the last few years of successful touring has damaged GN'R in the public eye?
For example, every time you encounter somebody saying GN'R always cancels shows and are not reliable, you can tell them the facts and prove them wrong.
Is that a bad thing in terms of an image?

Some of us can see the difference while you refuse.

For example, the Governors Ball gig did a lot of good for GN'R. It was just one gig, but the way it went showed a lot of naysayers how wrong they were. Just one example of one gig making a difference.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2014, 09:55:47 AM »

What's your definition of "people talking". What kind of magnitude are we talking about here?

Well, that's pretty much my question too.  Where is this happening?

Let me ask you this. Would you say the last few years of successful touring has damaged GN'R in the public eye?
For example, every time you encounter somebody saying GN'R always cancels shows and are not reliable, you can tell them the facts and prove them wrong.

For example, the Governors Ball gig did a lot of good for GN'R. It was just one gig, but the way it went showed a lot of naysayers how wrong they were. Just one example of one gig making a difference.

Truthfully, I don't think the general public has given GNR much thought in the past few years : good, bad, or indifferent.

Its why I made the example about the political campaign.  Campaigns often exist in their own bubble.  If you never venture outside it, you will always only accept the truth you want to hear.  Which tends to be a bit more rose colored glasses than just about everywhere else.

MSL says the GNR brand has been resurrected, its reputation rebuilt, and its image restored.  That's his premise.

Really?  Because I'd invite he or anyone that shares that belief to call up any GNR Youtube video and read the comments.  Or the comments under any GNR article.  Its a bloodbath.  And these are people that were already Guns N' Roses fans.  If you've lost the majority of them, is there a great argument that the public at large is way onboard?  Or that something new has happened in the past 5 years to bring people around?

Ultimately, I am not making the argument that they have done anything to hurt themselves in the past 5 years.  But I very much challenge the assertion they have laid all this great groundwork and has people fired up about Guns N' Roses in 2014 and beyond.  Its just not reality.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2014, 10:23:32 AM »

Do you really think a new album of songs done by people out of the band for over 10 years is really going to get things going in a real way ?

I want it... because i love Axl's work , but is CD 2 gunna change the music scene? not at all, its gunna get the same criticisms the last album had

with that said I just cant understand the process on their part of the label's part.... status quo cant be good in any way for either of them

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2014, 10:29:32 AM »

Truthfully, I don't think the general public has given GNR much thought in the past few years : good, bad, or indifferent.

Its why I made the example about the political campaign.  Campaigns often exist in their own bubble.  If you never venture outside it, you will always only accept the truth you want to hear.  Which tends to be a bit more rose colored glasses than just about everywhere else.

MSL says the GNR brand has been resurrected, its reputation rebuilt, and its image restored.  That's his premise.

Really?  Because I'd invite he or anyone that shares that belief to call up any GNR Youtube video and read the comments.  Or the comments under any GNR article.  Its a bloodbath.  And these are people that were already Guns N' Roses fans.  If you've lost the majority of them, is there a great argument that the public at large is way onboard?  Or that something new has happened in the past 5 years to bring people around?

Ultimately, I am not making the argument that they have done anything to hurt themselves in the past 5 years.  But I very much challenge the assertion they have laid all this great groundwork and has people fired up about Guns N' Roses in 2014 and beyond.  Its just not reality.

You are correct. The general perception of GNR sucks... is it fair... yes and no

but they do puts on lots of shows outside of the U.S. that sell lots of tickets... so the GNR name still carries a lot of weight

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2014, 10:33:57 AM »

with that said I just cant understand the process on their part of the label's part.... status quo cant be good in any way for either of them

Its often suggested that Axl feels betrayed by the label and whatnot.  Fine, let's accept that premise.

Logically, the first thing that has to happen is a conversation about the future.  An airing of grievances on both of their parts.  Axl's frustration at things he didn't feel were done, and the label's unhappiness he ran off and pouted for a year after the album came out. 

That first conversation is going to suck, no matter when you have it.  But have it and get it out of the way.  How else will you ever move forward?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2014, 10:48:09 AM »

I'm asking you, what you're expecting.

Your goal seems to be to get people talking because in your opinion there's no talk.
I'm just curious where this talk would appear. CNN? Talks shows on radio? TMZ?

There you go again. The general public might not care about anything that's not on TMZ.
It's a veeeery broad group of people.

But I very much challenge the assertion they have laid all this great groundwork and has people fired up about Guns N' Roses in 2014 and beyond.  Its just not reality.

The reality is that some people don't give a fuck about facts.
I don't know how often I see comments like "if Axl even shows up" regarding shows being announced. That's not based on facts. That's based on somebody being so thick headed or lazy that they just refuse to take in new information.

GN'R is in a better place today than it was say five years ago. To deny it is just ignorant.
Just because part of the general public refuses to see it doesn't mean they're right.

GN'R putting out a new album isn't gonna make the Youtube trolls and their online buddies stop having wet dreams about their high school days.... Wink

Smiley

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2014, 11:07:04 AM »

I'm asking you, what you're expecting.

Your goal seems to be to get people talking because in your opinion there's no talk.
I'm just curious where this talk would appear. CNN? Talks shows on radio? TMZ?

I don't think you can. 

Let me clarify.  I don't think our boy is willing.

Suggestions?  How about a proper interview with a legit outlet about the future of the operation?  In other words, no more circle jerks with Del where you hand him a list of pre-prepared questions to read back to you.  And even more importantly than that, talk about the now and the future.  No more talking about Slash.  About all the people that done you wrong way back when.  None of that is forward thinking or productive

Talk about the current band.  What they will be doing.  How excited you are to be working with them.  Why you, the home reader, should be interested in what is to come.  This is marketing 101.  All it takes is some willingness to give a shit about your own business.

There you go again. The general public might not care about anything that's not on TMZ.
It's a veeeery broad group of people.

Never once have I said a word about TMZ. 

The reality is that some people don't give a fuck about facts.
I don't know how often I see comments like "if Axl even shows up" regarding shows being announced. That's not based on facts. That's based on somebody being so thick headed or lazy that they just refuse to take in new information.

GN'R is in a better place today than it was say five years ago. To deny it is just ignorant.
Just because part of the general public refuses to see it doesn't mean they're right.

Ah, but MSL's argument is that is exactly what they have done.  I didn't introduce such an indefensible premise.  Go yell at him.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2014, 12:37:28 PM »

You mean an interview with something like the L.A. Times? USA Today?

I'm surprised you missed all the people talking in 2011 and 2012 because he did those interviews.
Or maybe the "impact" you're expecting is not necessary a possibility in today's age when people get their news from so many places....

You still act like he hasn't made any interviews since 2009....

No, you didn't mention TMZ. I did. As an example of what the "general people" you want attention from, is paying attention to.
Is the general public talking about Motley Crue's new album? No, there's no new album. They're talking about Nikki getting married....

/jarmo

Ja5oN
Rocker

Maybe I'll get it right next time

« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2014, 12:44:49 PM »

WOW....lots of opinions in this thread.

GNR is playing shows, which in my mind means the machine is still rolling.  = a GOOD THING!!

I would love to hear new stuff, and continue going to shows and then hear more new stuff and continue going to shows.
However the way the industry/contracts/record companies work is not for me to decipher.  I just love hearing new stuff and old stuff as much as I can and....
I just hope the machine keeps going!

The DVD would have been (or will be) a real nice way to show people who GNR is now and how amazing those Vegas shows were and will hopefully be again.

I think the TMS and Kimmel interviews were also examples of some buzz....

Toronto11/29/02 Ottawa11/17/06 London2/25/10
Vegas11/23&24/12 Toronto7/15/13(mic) Vegas5/28(whistle),30&31/14
Toronto7/16/16 Montreal 8/19/17 Ottawa 8/21/17
Toronto 10/29&30/17
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2014, 12:49:13 PM »

The enthusiasm he feels for this band is evident on his face, which lights up when talking about working with former Replacements bassist Stinson, guitarists Fortus, DJ Ashba, and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and the rest of the '11 Roses.

It's a far contrast to his demeanor when Slash's name comes up. Despite requests from Rose's publicist that he not be asked questions about the former GNR guitarist, Rose himself mentions his ex-bandmate's name minutes into the conversation and locks onto the subject.

Slash was a late arrival into the Guns N' Roses fold, Rose loves reminding people, and apart from a few key riffs, says Rose, the guitarist was much less involved in the songs than Rose and Stradlin.

"It was really a fight with me and Slash," says Rose of the forces that took down the band. "Izzy was doing the same thing, but the fight with me and Slash started the day I met him. He came in, popped my tape out and put his in and wanted me in his band. And I didn't want to join his band. We've had that war since Day 1."

Look at that bit on bold.  Is that productive?

To paraphrase John Bender, Axl couldn't ignore him if he tried.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2014, 12:51:44 PM »

I just really think due to the history of the GNR name it doesn't matter what they do going forward as far as changing perceptions or having an impact in mainstream culture

the past is just impossible to match in any way ...not that they need to... but its just natural to always compare, especially since the name is the same

you just gotta hope some how some way we squeeze another record out of our guy

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2014, 12:52:37 PM »

The DVD would have been (or will be) a real nice way to show people who GNR is now and how amazing those Vegas shows were and will hopefully be again.

I don't know now much business it would have done, but it would have been nice if we had a product that showed the current band and what they can do.

Hopefully, it will come out eventually. 

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2014, 12:55:14 PM »

I just really think due to the history of the GNR name it doesn't matter what they do going forward as far as changing perceptions or having an impact in mainstream culture

the past is just impossible to match in any way ...not that they need to... but its just natural to always compare, especially since the name is the same

you just gotta hope some how some way we squeeze another record out of our guy

The average guy in the street will always consider Guns N Roses to be the guys we grew up with.  That will never, ever change.

About the best Axl can do is stop talking about those days and shift his focus to his current guys.  Tell me about them.  Tell me about what you are working on.  Tell me about the chances of me hearing an honest to god new song for the first time in 10 years.

Please, for the love of God, no more segues into stories about when Slash said that meant thing to you that time in 1989.  That's over and done with.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2014, 12:58:44 PM »

The enthusiasm he feels for this band is evident on his face, which lights up when talking about working with former Replacements bassist Stinson, guitarists Fortus, DJ Ashba, and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and the rest of the '11 Roses.

It's a far contrast to his demeanor when Slash's name comes up. Despite requests from Rose's publicist that he not be asked questions about the former GNR guitarist, Rose himself mentions his ex-bandmate's name minutes into the conversation and locks onto the subject.

Slash was a late arrival into the Guns N' Roses fold, Rose loves reminding people, and apart from a few key riffs, says Rose, the guitarist was much less involved in the songs than Rose and Stradlin.

"It was really a fight with me and Slash," says Rose of the forces that took down the band. "Izzy was doing the same thing, but the fight with me and Slash started the day I met him. He came in, popped my tape out and put his in and wanted me in his band. And I didn't want to join his band. We've had that war since Day 1."

Look at that bit on bold.  Is that productive?

To paraphrase John Bender, Axl couldn't ignore him if he tried.

I dont care if he bashes Slash in an interview.... blaming him 20 years later for his inability to write lyrics....Ha i mean...I dont know..

i dont think any of that matters...but ur right..he would be better served pumping up the newer players rather than that... because thats what will get the headlines...
the cloud of Slash is just overbearing sometimes over what they are trying to achieve... even if you hate the guy because Axl does ... you cant deny the cloud he brings over the whole operation due to his immense fame

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: