Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:34:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227941 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses at 2014 Golden Gods & Axl to receive Ronnie James Dio award
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses at 2014 Golden Gods & Axl to receive Ronnie James Dio award  (Read 135664 times)
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #320 on: April 24, 2014, 10:06:23 AM »

Yeah, what's up with DJ lately? I thought he was great when I saw them a couple of years ago and was kinda eating my words about him a bit, but with the Patience solo and SCOM intro he's really looking a bit useless at the moment IMO. Nevermind the Monster Energy tops and the Slash-esque top hat!

I find those hating on him to typically way the hell over the top.  But that's because I don't care what he wears, or how stands, or any of that other dopey shit.

But whatever the hell he did on 'Patience' at that one show was just bad.  It was bad guitar playing.  And while I think his guitar tech clearly fucked him over for SCOM last night, ultimately, its on him.  He's gotta have that shit in order.

he looks so much cooler without the hat and the make up.....like in those soundcheck pics... but ur right i dont care about that....

i just want him to play the songs properly.... lately its been bad

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
billsguy
Rocker

« Reply #321 on: April 24, 2014, 10:07:07 AM »

I don't think some of you have listened to too many shows lately.  That was a pretty good performance overall from Axl.  Thought he held a lot of notes well.  A fair portion of his range has been nearly gone for years.  I think he's actually picked up some rasp in the lows and highs that he hasn't used for years in the last SA tour, carried over to this show.  He is 52 years old.  For a guy who has tortured his voice for years on 3+ hour shows and years+ touring straight, he is what he is.  A golden god who I still go see.  Can't wait for Rock on the Range.

Regarding SCOM, that is NOT on DJ.  You trust your guitar tech to tune the guitar bc you are out there playing.  It's too bad bc it did sound terrible.  I just listened to the show on youtube and thought they sounded great overall.  Richard was a star.  

In the day and age of everything being recorded, it's very easy to judge every note and every move, but they are still an extremely tight performing band and Axl sounds great for his age.  Go listen to any great frontman that doesn't sing within one octave, this is the norm.  Listen to Steven Tyler.  Very few guys can keep that voice.

Mike
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #322 on: April 24, 2014, 10:17:33 AM »

Yeah, I found Axl's vocals to be pretty much what he gives us these days.

I think trying to label them especially horrible is pretty forced.  And if you are saying that today, let's face it, you were going to say it regardless of how it went last night.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #323 on: April 24, 2014, 10:28:41 AM »

Besides This i Love, Axl put in a solid and at times great vocal performance

Dj again fucked up the intro to sweet child, didn't he do that on the vegas stream from a while back (the video one)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #324 on: April 24, 2014, 10:29:30 AM »

'This I Love' was pretty shaky, yes.

Though, to be honest, I even find it a little grating on the album.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Axlspants
Rocker

« Reply #325 on: April 24, 2014, 10:29:45 AM »

Yeah, I found Axl's vocals to be pretty much what he gives us these days.

I think trying to label them especially horrible is pretty forced.  And if you are saying that today, let's face it, you were going to say it regardless of how it went last night.

Very true
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #326 on: April 24, 2014, 10:30:36 AM »

i think its becoming clearer and clearer that Richard is the most consistent, reliable and least high maintenance of a performer of the three of them.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #327 on: April 24, 2014, 10:49:34 AM »

So all those slagging negative comments about recent vocals because 'you can't judge by a youtube clip' are going to apologize now??.

Anyway I saw this band in 93, 07 and 2010. For me the 2010
Performace was vocally the most oustanding. A night where I turned to my friends with a 'wow' look on my face. I really REALLY hope Axl finds the inspiration and motivation to work very hard on his vocals and fitness. Was a little sad to watch. Perhaps its time to go solo and make less 'stadium' style of music, more low keys songs that suit his range now? Songs that rely more on melody and lyrics than bombast and screaming.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:51:46 AM by carmiedisco12 » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #328 on: April 24, 2014, 10:51:46 AM »

So all those slagging negative comments about recent vocals because 'you can't judge by a youtube clip' are going to apologise now??.

Oh yeah.  I'm sure they are getting right on that.

gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #329 on: April 24, 2014, 11:11:33 AM »

So all those slagging negative comments about recent vocals because 'you can't judge by a youtube clip' are going to apologize now??.

Anyway I saw this band in 93, 07 and 2010. For me the 2010
Performace was vocally the most oustanding. A night where I turned to my friends with a 'wow' look on my face. I really REALLY hope Axl finds the inspiration and motivation to work very hard on his vocals and fitness. Was a little sad to watch. Perhaps its time to go solo and make less 'stadium' style of music, more low keys songs that suit his range now? Songs that rely more on melody and lyrics than bombast and screaming.

Interesting point!
I recently saw Billy Joel in MSG and he sings almost every song in a lower key so his voice is spot on.  Not sure if any of axl's songs would sound right lowering the key.

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #330 on: April 24, 2014, 11:12:48 AM »

'This I Love' was pretty shaky, yes.

Though, to be honest, I even find it a little grating on the album.

I hated the album version and rarely listened to it.  Then when I heard it live in 2010 I was blown away.

sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #331 on: April 24, 2014, 11:15:31 AM »

I thought it was a awesome show.  Was it perfect no but hey it is rock n roll.  Axl is well deserving of the award. It is long overdue. It is about time some of his peers give him the respect he deserves.  Everyone seems to also miss the nice gesture Axl gave to all the line ups when he received the award.   Lets face it he is the last real front man of Rock.   Axl still is who he has always been.  He does things his own way, in a world that is so politically correct and predictable, it is refreshing to see Axl / GNR do there own thing.  I have been following the band since the 80's. 

Everyone likes to bust his balls for not sounding perfect. Fucking guy is 52 and is kicking ass putting on 3 hour plus shows.  I cant wait a few more weeks to Bethlehem  peace It is going to be awesome  yes 

I will take GNR doing 3 plus hour shows minus perfection any day over silence!!! Name another band and singer of like age of that caliber putting on a show that is better.  When their shows are over there is nothing else to give, they gave everything they got that night at every show to the fans.  peace

Do I want more sure, who doesn't. we would not be fans if we did not want more.  I'm thankful for what we do have.  He is human like the rest of us. A man of free will, I'm just thankful he shares his music with us!!

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #332 on: April 24, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »

I don't think some of you have listened to too many shows lately.  That was a pretty good performance overall from Axl.  Thought he held a lot of notes well.  A fair portion of his range has been nearly gone for years.  I think he's actually picked up some rasp in the lows and highs that he hasn't used for years in the last SA tour, carried over to this show.  He is 52 years old.  For a guy who has tortured his voice for years on 3+ hour shows and years+ touring straight, he is what he is.  A golden god who I still go see.  Can't wait for Rock on the Range.

Regarding SCOM, that is NOT on DJ.  You trust your guitar tech to tune the guitar bc you are out there playing.  It's too bad bc it did sound terrible.  I just listened to the show on youtube and thought they sounded great overall.  Richard was a star.  

In the day and age of everything being recorded, it's very easy to judge every note and every move, but they are still an extremely tight performing band and Axl sounds great for his age.  Go listen to any great frontman that doesn't sing within one octave, this is the norm.  Listen to Steven Tyler.  Very few guys can keep that voice.

Good post.   Correct on DJ.  Tuning is done by the roadie.  Axl def has his lower register in old school form for many songs.  I always wonder how on the last "Knock Knock Knockin" how he goes old school on the rasp on those notes.  I wonder what allows him to rasp and not rasp.  On Better, he had some powerful rasp on high notes.  Paradise, almost none.  

gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #333 on: April 24, 2014, 11:16:42 AM »

I thought it was a awesome show.  Was it perfect no but hey it is rock n roll.  Axl is well deserving of the award. It is long overdue. It is about time some of his peers give him the respect he deserves.  Everyone seems to also miss the nice gesture Axl gave to all the line ups when he received the award.   Lets face it he is the last real front man of Rock.   Axl still is who he has always been.  He does things his own way, in a world that is so politically correct and predictable, it is refreshing to see Axl / GNR do there own thing.  I have been following the band since the 80's. 

Everyone likes to bust his balls for not sounding perfect. Fucking guy is 52 and is kicking ass putting on 3 hour plus shows.  I cant wait a few more weeks to Bethlehem  peace It is going to be awesome  yes 

I will take GNR doing 3 plus hour shows minus perfection any day over silence!!! Name another band and singer of like age of that caliber putting on a show that is better.  When their shows are over there is nothing else to give, they gave everything they got that night at every show to the fans.  peace

Do I want more sure, who doesn't. we would not be fans if we did not want more.  I'm thankful for what we do have.  He is human like the rest of us. A man of free will, I'm just thankful he shares his music with us!!

Well Said!!!!!

gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #334 on: April 24, 2014, 11:19:06 AM »

Axl's voice, especially on This i Love, is horrible.
Anyone who says otherwise is either deaf or lying to himself

I thought it wasnt bad.  I thought NR and PC was worse.

GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #335 on: April 24, 2014, 11:33:08 AM »

I thought he sounded fine on PC, I didn't see anything else.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #336 on: April 24, 2014, 11:35:07 AM »

Did anybody catch our favorite singer get an lifetime achievement award and thanking all the line ups of the band?
Did anybody realize this was promoting the current band? Did anybody realize that they played some songs from Chinese Democracy?
Did anybody miss that the set didn't start with the songs you expected?

Sometimes it seems like it's easy to forget what you got because you're solely focused on the same discussion in every thread about every show.
I feel kinda bad for those of you who have to go through these times with that mindset.

Highly successful tour in South America, a tour where some said nobody would show up.
Having Duff fill in for Tommy. Historic event in itself.
Having Axl get acknowledged for what he's done.
Having GN'R play for an hour at the biggest heavy metal award show.
GN'R wlll be on VH1 on the near future.

ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #337 on: April 24, 2014, 11:39:32 AM »

Did anybody catch our favorite singer get an lifetime achievement award and thanking all the line ups of the band?
Did anybody realize this was promoting the current band? Did anybody realize that they played some songs from Chinese Democracy?

Holy shit, no.  When did this happen?  Is there a link?

sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #338 on: April 24, 2014, 11:48:48 AM »

Sometimes it seems like it's easy to forget what you got because you're solely focused on the same discussion in every thread about every show.
I feel kinda bad for those of you who have to go through these times with that mindset.

Highly successful tour in South America, a tour where some said nobody would show up.
Having Duff fill in for Tommy. Historic event in itself.
Having Axl get acknowledged for what he's done.
Having GN'R play for an hour at the biggest heavy metal award show.
GN'R wlll be on VH1 on the near future.

ok

/jarmo

I did  hihi 

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #339 on: April 24, 2014, 12:01:46 PM »

Axl sounded horrible last night. It was like he could barely squeak the words out.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: