Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 10:32:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227992 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dizzy Reed Reveals Details Of New GNR Album (from Triple M Sydney)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dizzy Reed Reveals Details Of New GNR Album (from Triple M Sydney)  (Read 76725 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2014, 04:22:40 PM »

The only way they could sort out the mess is if (and we truly are dealing with 'ifs' here) they put out a boxset as a sort of house clearance and tour off that for only a short burst, then begin anew.

Our man ain't exactly Johnny Ambition.

He's had 8 years to do ONE SONG with those fellas.  Can't see an argument if he cleared the decks, he'd get right to work.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
mortismurphy
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2014, 04:27:08 PM »

I did say we are dealing with 'ifs'.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2014, 04:27:36 PM »

Hahahaha.

True.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2014, 04:50:46 PM »

So what if it's songs from late 90's/early 20k's. I gladly have more of it.  ok

Talking of TWAT, I don't think the musicianship on that particular track has gotten its due credit yet.

Kinda. If they cut off (fade out) the song at around the 3min mark it would have been up there I think.  /flameshield on. The rest is ambitious but ends up too bland. The song is too long and repetive, and Axl's voiceacrobatics and additional soloing here mostly mean anything to targeted rockmusicfans. Axl's high notes merge diferently in the music than in WTTJ. He don't stand out. If they were gonna keep the ending then I'd focus more on the killswitchparts and made it less loose.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:56:57 PM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »

Kinda. If they cut off (fade out) the song at around the 3min mark it would have been up there I think.  /flameshield on. The rest is ambitious but ends up too bland. The song is too long and repetive, and Axl's voiceacrobatics and additional soloing here mostly mean anything to targeted rockmusicfans. Axl's high notes merge diferently in the music than in WTTJ. He don't stand out. If they were gonna keep the ending then I'd focus more on the killswitchparts and made it less loose.

I love the song, but think its more a guitar song than an Axl song. 

Bucket's outtro is awesome, but really, really like the one in the middle too.

norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2014, 05:00:35 PM »

Yeah, I didn't mean to say the guitar (and vocals) on the outro is anything less than awesome. The devil is in the mix.

Half the song is an outro btw Tongue

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
mortismurphy
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2014, 05:00:58 PM »

So what if it's songs from late 90's/early 20k's. I gladly have more of it.  yes

But we are never going to know what an 'Axl song' from a period, just before the first time we hear the song, sounds life - never again. Does this not strike you as a thoroughly illogical and frustrating method? When we heard Appetite, we knew those were lyrics reflected Axl's life, 1985-86. Neil Young has released six albums since Axl released Chinese Democracy- six. You simply know that each one of those albums represents Neil, there and then.
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2014, 06:27:12 PM »

Why is it important that the lyrics reflect what is currently going on in his head? Is it really relevant to how good the album is? Good lyrics are good lyrics in my opinion. They don't depreciate over time or anything like that.

Also, CD did not sound dated. It was unlike anything I've ever heard before, very refreshing at the time. Just my two cents, but yeah. It is actually aging really well.

Take the very beginning of the album. All those primeval noises and the Chinese chattering... that is some trippy sounding shit. Doesn't sound dated at all. When I think dated, I think something that isn't necessarily old but something that is boring, corny, redundant, or that has already been done better by someone else. You know, something obsolete.

If I had to pick something in CD that seems a little dated to me, the only thing I could really think of would be the speech in Madagascar. I don't mind it but it does take a while and you can't really sing along with it. I feel like maybe I would have liked to have heard more lyrics or a guitar solo from whoever awesome guitarist, something along those lines. Y'know, why focus on the speech and quotes when you have some of the world's best musicians to work with? Sometimes that part of the song can be a little redundant. Sometimes I like it though. Ultimately you could say I'm on the fence with it. If the remix album contains a version of the song that loses the speech and quotes or that utilizes them in a different way, I would be interested to see how it affected the overall flow of the track. Has Axl ever said anything about his intentions behind the remix album? Like why he decided to make it or whatever? I'm a little curious about that.

Besides that, I got nothin'. I am literally listening to CD as I type this and everything sounds really polished and state of the art as far as I can tell. IRS sounds like a space age classic rock song.

I cannot wait for the next GNR album! The anticipation is killing me! At least I'll have the dvd to tide me over once Christmas comes along (my fiance bought me a copy of the plain dvd at Target for around fifteen bucks!). But who knows, the next album could already by out by then.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 11:08:10 PM by redneckrudy » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
mortismurphy
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2014, 08:07:45 AM »

Why is it important that the lyrics reflect what is currently going on in his head? Is it really relevant to how good the album is? Good lyrics are good lyrics in my opinion. They don't depreciate over time or anything like that.

Also, CD did not sound dated. It was unlike anything I've ever heard before, very refreshing at the time. Just my two cents, but yeah. It is actually aging really well.

Take the very beginning of the album. All those primeval noises and the Chinese chattering... that is some trippy sounding shit. Doesn't sound dated at all. When I think dated, I think something that isn't necessarily old but something that is boring, corny, redundant, or that has already been done better by someone else. You know, something obsolete.

If I had to pick something in CD that seems a little dated to me, the only thing I could really think of would be the speech in Madagascar. I don't mind it but it does take a while and you can't really sing along with it. I feel like maybe I would have liked to have heard more lyrics or a guitar solo from whoever awesome guitarist, something along those lines. Y'know, why focus on the speech and quotes when you have some of the world's best musicians to work with? Sometimes that part of the song can be a little redundant. Sometimes I like it though. Ultimately you could say I'm on the fence with it. If the remix album contains a version of the song that loses the speech and quotes or that utilizes them in a different way, I would be interested to see how it affected the overall flow of the track. Has Axl ever said anything about his intentions behind the remix album? Like why he decided to make it or whatever? I'm a little curious about that.

Besides that, I got nothin'. I am literally listening to CD as I type this and everything sounds really polished and state of the art as far as I can tell. IRS sounds like a space age classic rock song.

I cannot wait for the next GNR album! The anticipation is killing me! At least I'll have the dvd to tide me over once Christmas comes along (my fiance bought me a copy of the plain dvd at Target for around fifteen bucks!). But who knows, the next album could already by out by then.

It would certainly matter if he was a topical songwriter, and, Axl is no stranger to topical songwriting (Chinese Democracy, Riad). Hasn't Axl got a song called Oklahoma in the vaults? The Oklahoma bombing was 1995. If that song came out in 1999, it would be far more pertinent to us than, if it came out in, say, 2015! But to answer your question more generally, no, it does not really matter in itself (although, I happen to like the fact that albums reflect the artists as they are, now). I just think it is sad that all these songs have to be stored away for a decade before being released; as I said, unless there is a house clearance, presumably the process will repeat itself, with songs written 2015 not destined to be released for 2025. Axl's whole methodology is a mess.

I suppose I have to disagree about Chinese. There are some terrific songs on there but the production was a mess. It is ironic because the greatest album Axl ever recorded was recorded in thirty days.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #129 on: November 20, 2014, 08:14:11 AM »

Hasn't Axl got a song called Oklahoma in the vaults? The Oklahoma bombing was 1995. If that song came out in 1999, it would be far more pertinent to us than, if it came out in, say, 2015!

Doesn't mean the lyrics are about the incident itself....

Another song, called ''Oklahoma'' - heard tonight only as an instrumental - was inspired by a court date with ex-wife Erin Everly. ''I was sitting in my litigation with my ex-wife, and it was the day after the bombing,'' Rose remembers with a wince. ''We had a break, and I'm sitting with my attorneys with a sort of smile on my face, more like a nervous thing - it was like, 'Forgive me, people, I'm having trouble taking this seriously.' It's just ironic that we're sitting there and this person is spewing all kinds of things and 168 people just got killed. And this person I'm sitting there with, she don't care. Obliterating me is their goal.''

Rolling Stone, January 2000

/jarmo

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:16:43 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #130 on: November 20, 2014, 08:48:06 AM »

Rooted in opinions is right. All the gripes from people were based on that from their armchair quarterback positions, they thought they could call the plays better. Others were merely upset that the band didn't do things to suit them.

Both ridiculous premises. hihi

I agree.  Which makes it a good thing no one has ever put them forth. 

The only time those premises have ever been introduced are by "loyal fans" who felt the need to crush dissent.  So they project, and put a bunch of words in the mouths of the people saying thing they didn't like, and then just pretended it all was real.  That it all really happened.

All any of us want is to see the bad succeed as much as they can.  Knocking down various strawmen is just what we do in the interim.

So, in your opinion what are the complaints and constant gripes, as well as unsolicited amateur advice rooted in?

I'm certain we view things very differently, but I'm interested to hear this.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2014, 08:56:06 AM »

I love the speech part (I don't want to lose HEART!!!) and I love the guitar solo that's played with it.  That solo gives the effect of something coming to a boil. 
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2014, 09:36:39 AM »

I love the song, but think its more a guitar song than an Axl song. 

TWAT is a masterpiece in the truest sense of the word.  Whenever I show one of my friends who haven't heard much of Chinese, it's a toss up between TWAT & Better.  My two personal favs.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2014, 10:04:04 AM »

So, in your opinion what are the complaints and constant gripes, as well as unsolicited amateur advice rooted in?

I'm certain we view things very differently, but I'm interested to hear this.

Any sort of talk about how things are or were done have NEVER included the following stances :

- I know everything, I should be listened to all times
- I believe something I am saying on the internet will affect change in the band's operation
- I am an expert in the music business
- I will withhold support if things are not done my way

No one with a supposedly controversial opinion has ever said those things, not one time.  These are projections put forth by people who don't ever want to hear that everything is not sunshine and puppy dog tails.  Far too much time is wasted knocking down these strawmen positions.

mortismurphy
« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2014, 10:09:54 AM »

Hasn't Axl got a song called Oklahoma in the vaults? The Oklahoma bombing was 1995. If that song came out in 1999, it would be far more pertinent to us than, if it came out in, say, 2015!

Doesn't mean the lyrics are about the incident itself....

Another song, called ''Oklahoma'' - heard tonight only as an instrumental - was inspired by a court date with ex-wife Erin Everly. ''I was sitting in my litigation with my ex-wife, and it was the day after the bombing,'' Rose remembers with a wince. ''We had a break, and I'm sitting with my attorneys with a sort of smile on my face, more like a nervous thing - it was like, 'Forgive me, people, I'm having trouble taking this seriously.' It's just ironic that we're sitting there and this person is spewing all kinds of things and 168 people just got killed. And this person I'm sitting there with, she don't care. Obliterating me is their goal.''

Rolling Stone, January 2000

/jarmo

Presumably there is some sort of lyrical connection with the Bombing. Regardless, it doesn't invalidate what I said. A large proportion of Chinese's lyrics concern Stephanie Seymour, Axl's former girlfriend from 16 years ago prior, (to the release of Chinese).
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2014, 10:12:01 AM »

When I played people certain songs, I had people tell me they sounded a bit dated.

One that comes to mind is 'Shackler's Revenge'.  I still remember my brother saying it sounded like the kind of thing he was listening to 7-8 years prior.

mortismurphy
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2014, 10:21:17 AM »

To me, you can hear the influence of the nu metal genre.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2014, 10:23:51 AM »

To me, you can hear the influence of the nu metal genre.

I agree.

Doesn't make it bad though.

mortismurphy
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2014, 10:28:37 AM »

I do not care for the song.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2014, 10:33:43 AM »

I do not care for the song.

That song really seems to divide people.

I like it a lot, and think its one of the catchier songs on the album.  But I have also heard people just bury it.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: