Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 07:39:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227983 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 89 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 256740 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #280 on: April 29, 2015, 02:27:04 PM »

Went to the Sox game last night, a backdated Christmas gift from my wife. Of all the years going to Fenway, probably over 40 games, I don't think I've ever actually seen the Red Sox ace pitch. No Clemens, no Pedro, no Schilling, no Beckett. And I swear Wakefield pitched like half of those. Well last night I got to see their "ace". THIS year is the year I get to see their ace? Clay Buchholz looked like anything but that. Staked to a 4-0 lead in the 2nd, he gave them all back plus one and failed to make it out of the 3rd. And then every single reliever who entered the game except for one gave up at least 1 run. Every time the Sox would cut into the lead, the Jays would answer. I know they have a good offense, but come on. The Sox pitching was a definite concern going into the season, but they're on a historically bad run right now. Their starters routinely give up 5 runs or more and every other game fail to make it through 3 innings. Just awful!

Other than that, it was a great night at the Fens!  peace

This article is on point... they put together a god awful rotation... and paid a number three pitcher a lotttttt of cash in Porcello. I know thats their model.. pay more on a short term deal... but that pitching staff is just not good enough.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/is-the-red-sox-front-office-just-plain-stupid/

It's a bad staff, and I don't think anybody expected it to be real good. But nobody expected it to be THIS bad. The guys they have in the rotation have "proven" track records. Sure they may all be a bunch of #3's, 4's, and 5's, but they're not even getting that at this point. They've all had moderate success pitching in the majors. It's not like they constructed a staff of guys off the streets. That's basically what they're pitching like right now though. I have to assume it will get better. I mean, it HAS to. But I'm just not sure by how much.

The thought on paying Porcello that much too, is that a few years into his contract with the ever expanding salaries, that deal won't look like a gross overpayment. He's been one of the most consistent starters for them, if you had to pick one. He also hasn't had a great start yet, and all the others have. He's been consistently mediocre. And his ERA sits at 6.48, so that's saying something. Needs to keep that ball down and stop giving up so many long balls. His career ERA is 4.35.

Joe Kelly has had flashes of brilliance. He looks dominant for a few innings at a time, but aside from his start against the Yanks he hasn't put it all together for a full outing. The other night he struck out 10, but gave up 5 runs in 6 innings. His 2nd straight start wher he gave up 5 ER. He leads the staff in ERA off the strength of his 1st 2 starts at 4.94. For his career, 3.51.

Miley has been God awful in 2 of his starts, failing to get out of the 3rd. He's been decent his other 2 starts, but hasn't gotten out of the 6th. Leaving him with an ERA of 8.62. I expected the least out of him coming from the NL West, but at least he could get through 6 full innings once. Is that too much to ask? Apparently so. His career ERA 3.91.

Masterson has struggled with his velocity so far, but he doesn't seem concerned. And it hasn't effected his strikeout numbers, so his ball must be moving well. He's had 3 decent starts, 1 bad. Actually he's probably been a little more consistent than Porcello, with a nice 5.16 ERA. Career is 4.26.

Then there's the de facto ace. Clay Buchholz has had 3 really good starts, and 2 horrible ones. Heard these astounding stats on the ride home today. Batters are hitting .193 against him with no runners on. With runners on, .417. With RISP, .444. That explains the inconsistencies in his season so far. Once it starts to snowball out of control for him, he can't limit the damage. His ERA is 5.76 after last nights awful performance. Career is 3.97.

So by the numbers, they're all far underperforming. Not something you hope for or expect when constructing your staff. They just have to sit back and hope for the best in the meantime. Luckily the division is filled with flawed teams, so they may be able to withstand these early season struggles. If it lingers much longer though, then they'll be in trouble territory.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #281 on: April 29, 2015, 02:30:30 PM »

Baltimore is playing in front of an empty stadium right now

Wtf is going on in that city

One of my favourite shows is The Wire.  Sure doesn't paint Baltimore in the best picture.  Now with these riots.  The city is decently very low on my list of places to travel to see a ball game live

I wish they were broadcasting it, live, nationally. I'd be watching that (and yes, I know..there's a Yanks game on). It must be sorta surreal for the players.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #282 on: April 29, 2015, 02:31:20 PM »

Well it seems the injury news isn't done yet. Brandon McCarthy is done for the season with a UCL tear for the Dodgers.
Homer Bailey may need TJ surgery too. It seems like injuries are more prevalent than ever. Or is it just affecting guys on my fantasy teams?  rant

I wonder if the Bailey and McCarthy injuries will spark debate about adopting "designated pitchers" Wink

Unfortunate for both (and your fantasy teams Tim  Smiley) but as we all know, pitchers break - it's not if it's when.

I'd have no problem with NL adopting DH, not at all because of pitcher injuries, but because pitchers can't hit or baserun for shit.  In what other sport is such a level of incompetence accepted as part of the game? 
That's my take on the subject too. Obviously biased as an AL fan, but I don't get the whole beauty of the game and carefully managing the roster with double switches, etc. I'd much rather see 9 competent hitters, for the most part, than 1 nearly automatic out in the lineup at least 2 or 3 times a game.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #283 on: April 29, 2015, 02:34:46 PM »

One of my favourite shows is The Wire.  Sure doesn't paint Baltimore in the best picture.  Now with these riots.  The city is decently very low on my list of places to travel to see a ball game live
Baltimore is actually a fun city, and Camden Yards is a great ballpark. I've been down there a few times. Had a lot of fun down there. Oh the crab cakes.  ok

Terrible what's going on there now, but I wouldn't condemn the whole city over it. Then again, I wouldn't be rushing to take a trip there anytime soon.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #284 on: April 29, 2015, 02:38:07 PM »

Then there's the de facto ace. Clay Buchholz has had 3 really good starts, and 2 horrible ones. Heard these astounding stats on the ride home today. Batters are hitting .193 against him with no runners on. With runners on, .417. With RISP, .444. That explains the inconsistencies in his season so far. Once it starts to snowball out of control for him, he can't limit the damage. His ERA is 5.76 after last nights awful performance. Career is 3.97.

Yesterday, when he was pitching with runners on, I SWEAR TO GOD, I think he was tipping his pitches.  I'm not an expert, but I was calling his pitches about 70% of the time, as he went through his motions.  There was a hitch with his fast ball, and a double clutch with his breaking stuff.

Maybe it was just me.  Maybe it was just my imagination and some luck.....but...that might explain the discrepancy if other clubs have picked up on it.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #285 on: April 29, 2015, 02:39:38 PM »

Baltimore is actually a fun city, and Camden Yards is a great ballpark. I've been down there a few times. Had a lot of fun down there. Oh the crab cakes.  ok

Agree.  It used to be considered Yankee Stadium South (and, I know, the Sox fans considered it Fenway South, too).

I love the city, and the park.

Just hope everybody is safe.....

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #286 on: April 29, 2015, 02:51:17 PM »

Yesterday, when he was pitching with runners on, I SWEAR TO GOD, I think he was tipping his pitches.  I'm not an expert, but I was calling his pitches about 70% of the time, as he went through his motions.  There was a hitch with his fast ball, and a double clutch with his breaking stuff.

Maybe it was just me.  Maybe it was just my imagination and some luck.....but...that might explain the discrepancy if other clubs have picked up on it.
That would explain a few things. Hope that's the case, because that would seem to be correctable on some level. His pace slows so much with runners on base. That certainly doesn't seem to be helping. Although it did against Baltimore. He worked out of a number of jams in that outing, but it was at a painfully slow pace. They need a pitch clock on him. The O's openly complained about it after the game. As for the O's, when did they become the official policemen of baseball? Jim Palmer spouted off on Ortiz for getting ejected for arguing a called check swing. I guess Showalter and the boys never do anything untoward in the game of baseball.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #287 on: April 29, 2015, 03:50:02 PM »

Well it seems the injury news isn't done yet. Brandon McCarthy is done for the season with a UCL tear for the Dodgers.
Homer Bailey may need TJ surgery too. It seems like injuries are more prevalent than ever. Or is it just affecting guys on my fantasy teams?  rant

I wonder if the Bailey and McCarthy injuries will spark debate about adopting "designated pitchers" Wink

Unfortunate for both (and your fantasy teams Tim  Smiley) but as we all know, pitchers break - it's not if it's when.

I'd have no problem with NL adopting DH, not at all because of pitcher injuries, but because pitchers can't hit or baserun for shit.  In what other sport is such a level of incompetence accepted as part of the game? 
That's my take on the subject too. Obviously biased as an AL fan, but I don't get the whole beauty of the game and carefully managing the roster with double switches, etc. I'd much rather see 9 competent hitters, for the most part, than 1 nearly automatic out in the lineup at least 2 or 3 times a game.

I hate the DH with the fire of 1000 suns, (how's that for drama?) I find AL (and interleague in AL parks) virtually unwatchable.

I'm into managerial (both on field and front office) strategy, roster/bullpen management et al.

When the NL is forced to adopt the DH, I'll still remain a fan but it will go from a day to day obsession to a casual affair for me, not looking forward to it...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #288 on: April 29, 2015, 05:41:50 PM »

I wish they were broadcasting it, live, nationally. I'd be watching that (and yes, I know..there's a Yanks game on). It must be sorta surreal for the players.

It's was on national TV here in Canada.  Bumped the Yankees game

The players were saying they could here the TV announcers/play by play guys from the field

Sorta looked like the Yankees home opener against the jays.  With nobody in the stands.  Hahaha
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #289 on: April 29, 2015, 05:43:30 PM »

How many runs will the jays need to win tonight.  I would say 9
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #290 on: April 29, 2015, 10:44:11 PM »

How many runs will the jays need to win tonight.  I would say 9
Dickey was actually pretty good tonight. That knuckleball was dancing. Hanley's 5th HR in 6 games was the difference though, as Porcello was on his game tonight. Why couldn't I have had tickets to tonights game instead?  peace

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #291 on: April 30, 2015, 08:59:17 AM »

Camden yards and the surrounding area in the harbour is actually beautiful and a great place to spend a day/night. The remainder of the city is less than desirable. It's one of the nicer stadiums I have been to.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #292 on: May 01, 2015, 10:55:54 PM »

Hey everybody!! A-Rod tied Willie Mays tonight!!

*crickets*

Oh, never mind.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #293 on: May 01, 2015, 11:42:29 PM »

Lets see the Yankees try and not give him his bonus. That's gonna end badly for them.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #294 on: May 02, 2015, 02:51:28 PM »

Cashman says they're not, this is going to get ugly...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/12807079/brian-cashman-says-new-york-yankees-pay-alex-rodriguez-6-million-bonus-660th-home-run

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #295 on: May 02, 2015, 07:41:38 PM »

I see no scenario where this ends well for the Yankees.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #296 on: May 03, 2015, 04:37:31 PM »

7 runs scored by the jays and they still loose.   To the Indians!!!!!!

Brutal.   

The jays need pitching more than any other time.   Ever.   If they don't they will be in last place all year. 
Evil Ash
Dude, they peed on your fucking rug
VIP

GnR is unstoppable, but delay-able ;)

« Reply #297 on: May 06, 2015, 05:17:09 AM »

Quick question, as part of a trip through west-USA i've bought tickets for a baseball game.
D-backs vs Dodgers at dodgers stadium on 9/24

But the time on the schedule says TBD. While other games after that do have the time shown.
Why is this? What time can the game start, 1 pm or 7 pm? And when will it be announced?

I can see it's the last game in a series of 4 so I don't know if it can be decided before this game or something like that?

I bought MLB 15 The show on ps4 so that will help me learn the specifics about the game i hope  Grin

Like peeing clouds!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #298 on: May 06, 2015, 07:57:54 AM »

Quick question, as part of a trip through west-USA i've bought tickets for a baseball game.
D-backs vs Dodgers at dodgers stadium on 9/24

But the time on the schedule says TBD. While other games after that do have the time shown.
Why is this? What time can the game start, 1 pm or 7 pm? And when will it be announced?

I can see it's the last game in a series of 4 so I don't know if it can be decided before this game or something like that?

I bought MLB 15 The show on ps4 so that will help me learn the specifics about the game i hope  Grin

It will likely be a 1 PM or 7 PM start time. Could be 5 PM, conceivably, if ESPN or MLB has picked up the game for national television...but that's REALLY unlikely for a Thursday game. 

It IS late in the season, so if there are playoff implications, maybe that's why they keep it TBD.  Honestly, I'm surprised it is. If it had been a Sat or Sunday game, I'd get it (because ESPN and FOX can select their games VERY last minutes, and that would change start times). But a Thurs? Very unusual. Maybe there is something else going on in the area/stadium that they are waiting on so they can determine time.

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #299 on: May 06, 2015, 08:41:54 AM »

Really hoping Mikey Pine Tar stays healthy and leads the Yankee staff all year... I love the kid's ability... he pounds the strike zone.

So pleasantly surprised by the Yankee season so far.

If they continue to play well... they will need to add a middle infielder and an arm.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 89 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: