Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:08:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Can we put the name issue to bed...the man's words
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can we put the name issue to bed...the man's words  (Read 33277 times)
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2015, 11:45:52 AM »

Skydog, if you thought that your thread was going to be the end all on name discussion then you were foolish. No offense.  It's a hot topic. I said it once and I'll say it again. The name should have been retired. Period. Axl got the name. Fine, but then do something with it. If he didn't want to release albums or keep it as bluesy hard rock band then no need to keep the name. He could have had an Ozzy like career and do his own music. He knew the name would bring in money and headlines.

The arguments that I have seen on this thread have been a bit absurd. Both Axl and Slash are doing things for money. It's a bit obvious. I don't consider neither as a "sellout", though. I want to support both of them in their endeavors. Both founded this band. Both created one of the GREATEST albums of all-time. They should both be respected and not hated upon.  That's all.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #141 on: July 04, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »

I started the thread just to show Axl's opinion on the name...people like to tell everyone what Axl was thinking. I was just pointing out that this is actually what he said about the subject...everything we should want to know from his side. I guess my thread title is a little off from my point. I know they all have their side too. I just tend to go with Axl's side because, well, it makes sense...much more so than Slash and Duff's recollection.

Now, in hindsight, I too wish Axl would have done a solo project so we wouldn't have all this fan bickering. However, the economic reality of the situation at the time did not allow him too. He had too much invested in it. It was all or nothing.   Undecided

ps and don't say we got "nothing". I dig Chinese and am sure the leftover Chinese stew is damn good.  peace

« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:58:44 PM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #142 on: July 04, 2015, 02:35:25 PM »

The name is from Tracii Guns and Axl Rose (hollywood rose).

/thread  Grin

He could have had an Ozzy like career and do his own music. He knew the name would bring in money and headlines.

Now u are applying your self-constructed motivations on to Axl.  Not that fortune and fame isn't a motivation for all of us...

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #143 on: July 04, 2015, 06:45:27 PM »

Now u are applying your self-constructed motivations on to Axl.  Not that fortune and fame isn't a motivation for all of us...

The fortune bit might be right, but loads have walked away from being famous, arguably Izzy was the one person the rest have to be most gratful for, yet he was the one who who tried the hardest to remain out of the spot-light
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #144 on: July 04, 2015, 07:42:46 PM »

The name is from Tracii Guns and Axl Rose (hollywood rose).

/thread  Grin

He could have had an Ozzy like career and do his own music. He knew the name would bring in money and headlines.

I know how the name came about dude. Let me ask you this. Was the name well known when Tracii was in Guns N' Roses? Did they have any hit songs when he was in the band?

How am I applying my "self-constructed motivations"?
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #145 on: July 04, 2015, 08:03:28 PM »

Was the name well known when Tracii was in Guns N' Roses? Did they have any hit songs when he was in the band?

We're into popbands (and the rulesets therein) now? confused

Songs they wrote became classics on afd but thats a mute point to me. Respectively the name belongs to Axl and thats in imo justifiable in most aspects and the former line-ups are rightfully credited.

Gnr is not just the 'afd-band' just as nazareth is not just Love Hurts. You get my drift?

Looked as you indicated Axl mostly wanted the name for money and headlines, which was a motivation you yourself added.

GNR2014
Rocker

We've been through this such a long long time

« Reply #146 on: July 04, 2015, 10:05:02 PM »

In the current version of reality that we are all living in here, Axl Rose kept the name.
The next 20 years unfolded as they did.

Who knows how things might have been different if The Axl Rose Band, or W.A.R., or a new band called Chinese Democracy or something else emerged in the late '90s?
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #147 on: July 04, 2015, 10:27:18 PM »

Was the name well known when Tracii was in Guns N' Roses? Did they have any hit songs when he was in the band?

Songs they wrote became classics on afd but thats a mute point to me. Respectively the name belongs to Axl and thats in imo justifiable in most aspects and the former line-ups are rightfully credited.

Gnr is not just the 'afd-band' just as nazareth is not just Love Hurts. You get my drift?

Looked as you indicated Axl mostly wanted the name for money and headlines, which was a motivation you yourself added.

You are missing the point. No one cared for GNR when Tracii was in the band. The band became a  huge hit when Slash and Adler came on board.  The band became a household name with AFD, Lies, and UYI. It's definitely NOT a moot point since this is one of the reasons why Axl  wanted the name.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 09:04:01 AM by draguns » Logged
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2015, 03:32:49 AM »

You are missing the point. No one cared for GNR when Tracii was in the band. The band became a  huge hit when Slash and Adler came on board.  The band became a household name with AFD, Lies, and UYI. It's definitely NOT a mute point since this is one of the reasons why Axl  wanted the name.

Definitely not a "mute" point since so many people are determined to try and discuss Moot points.  hihi

GNR has had multiple lineups since conception, I have enjoyed something about each incarnation. GNR existed before Slash and exists after he quit .

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2015, 11:38:45 AM »

Well, I agree with you Emily but 3 months with Traci, Gardener, and Ole hardly constitutes an "incarnation". Honestly, there are only three lineups in my mind, and they center around the albums and who made the albums. Afd/Lies lineup...the UYI lineup...the Chinese lineup (the people who actually wrote and played on the record).

Touring and who has played live shows is a whole other matter.  hihi
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 12:02:27 PM by sky dog » Logged

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »

You are missing the point. No one cared for GNR when Tracii was in the band. The band became a  huge hit when Slash and Adler came on board.  The band became a household name with AFD, Lies, and UYI. It's definitely NOT a mute point since this is one of the reasons why Axl  wanted the name.

Definitely not a "mute" point since so many people are determined to try and discuss Moot points.  hihi

GNR has had multiple lineups since conception, I have enjoyed something about each incarnation. GNR existed before Slash and exists after he quit .

Ha. Funny Emily. Smiley I was tired when I wrote that. I had just got back from watching fireworks with my father and was heading off to bed. 
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #151 on: July 05, 2015, 11:11:20 PM »

Well, I agree with you Emily but 3 months with Traci, Gardener, and Ole hardly constitutes an "incarnation". Honestly, there are only three lineups in my mind, and they center around the albums and who made the albums. Afd/Lies lineup...the UYI lineup...the Chinese lineup (the people who actually wrote and played on the record).

Touring and who has played live shows is a whole other matter.  hihi

I usually classify lineups by years rather than labels, it is more precise.

I never saw the original lineup, but I saw the classic lineup and subsequent lineups quite a few times over the years.

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #152 on: July 05, 2015, 11:12:01 PM »

Ha. Funny Emily. Smiley I was tired when I wrote that. I had just got back from watching fireworks with my father and was heading off to bed. 

Just a joke, no harm intended  beer

"Shut the fuck up."
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2015, 02:05:05 AM »

Honestly, there are only three lineups in my mind, and they center around the albums and who made the albums.

Who made the songs?

No one cared for GNR when Tracii was in the band.

Compared to? Slash and Adler? Tongue

Many of the songs that guns is famous for (took years, afd wasn't an instant hit) derives from Izzy, Tracii, Axl.

The band became a  huge hit when Slash and Adler came on board.  The band became a household name with AFD, Lies, and UYI. 

I know Slash, Axl, Duff, Steven and Izzy was the guys who got a contract with Geffen. But who used the name before Adler and Slash got involved? Where does the name come from?

It was a simliar case in Norway where the original user of the bandname won in court. Short story: Guitarplayer makes the band >>> Bass and Singer joins >>> the band is more comercially successfull >>> wants to use the band without the guitarplayer >>> lost in court which I agree to.

Axl lived by the name first and justifiably has the legal rights.

It's therefore his property regardles of which members makes it a 'popular music band'.

Totally respect people who don't find the band relevant without Bucket, Slash, AFD-lineup or w/e, but still...

It's definitely NOT a moot point since this is one of the reasons why Axl  wanted the name.

'one of the reasons' ok. Wink but Axl Rose as a brand is basicly equally as big.

Letting comercial relevance and personal like decide who is the legitimate user of a name isn't valid imo.

I would insist tho, on the moot point, that 'Axl-guns' is more relevant to the public than 'no-axl guns' yes

no puns peace

It was a simliar case in Norway where the original user of the bandname won in court. Short story: Guitarplayer makes the band >>> Bass and Singer joins >>> band is more comercially successfull >>> wants to be the band without the guitarplayer >>> lost in court >>>I agree to that.

Gonna add that I like king/gaahl-era most btw. kthx, just talked 2 myself thar coffee
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 02:23:03 AM by norway » Logged

mortismurphy
« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2015, 06:43:43 AM »

Many of the songs that guns is famous for (took years, afd wasn't an instant hit) derives from Izzy, Tracii, Axl.

What songs are these exactly? The only song on Appetite that was written before Slash joined the band is Anything Goes which was a Hollywood Rose song.

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2015, 06:51:46 AM »

Reckless Life and Shadow of Your Love are Hollywood Rose as well. 2 other songs on official Gnr releases. Tracii has ZERO writing credits on any Gnr songs. Come on, let's call it like it is.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:57:19 AM by sky dog » Logged

mortismurphy
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2015, 07:11:21 AM »

He could be mixing Tracii Guns up with Chris Weber.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2015, 09:18:37 AM »

Just a joke, no harm intended  beer

I know. Smiley It was funny as well! Smiley
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2015, 09:22:06 AM »

Honestly, there are only three lineups in my mind, and they center around the albums and who made the albums.

Who made the songs?

No one cared for GNR when Tracii was in the band.

Compared to? Slash and Adler? Tongue

The band became a  huge hit when Slash and Adler came on board.  The band became a household name with AFD, Lies, and UYI. 

I know Slash, Axl, Duff, Steven and Izzy was the guys who got a contract with Geffen. But who used the name before Adler and Slash got involved? Where does the name come from?

It was a simliar case in Norway where the original user of the bandname won in court. Short story: Guitarplayer makes the band >>> Bass and Singer joins >>> the band is more comercially successfull >>> wants to use the band without the guitarplayer >>> lost in court which I agree to.

Axl lived by the name first and justifiably has the legal rights.

It's therefore his property regardles of which members makes it a 'popular music band'.

Totally respect people who don't find the band relevant without Bucket, Slash, AFD-lineup or w/e, but still...

It's definitely NOT a moot point since this is one of the reasons why Axl  wanted the name.

'one of the reasons' ok. Wink but Axl Rose as a brand is basicly equally as big.

Letting comercial relevance and personal like decide who is the legitimate user of a name isn't valid imo.

I would insist tho, on the moot point, that 'Axl-guns' is more relevant to the public than 'no-axl guns' yes

no puns peace

It was a simliar case in Norway where the original user of the bandname won in court. Short story: Guitarplayer makes the band >>> Bass and Singer joins >>> band is more comercially successfull >>> wants to be the band without the guitarplayer >>> lost in court >>>I agree to that.

Gonna add that I like king/gaahl-era most btw. kthx, just talked 2 myself thar coffee

I completely disagree with you on this. All 5 were important. Each contributed something to the band. That's why they were successful. All 5 plus Matt, Dizzy & Gilby will never reach those heights again.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2015, 10:05:29 AM »

what the hell did Gilby do? Play on a bunch of cover songs....please. The very definition of hired hand. Zero songwriting credits as well.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: