Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:21:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Do we as Guns N Roses fans have it that bad?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do we as Guns N Roses fans have it that bad?  (Read 18487 times)
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« on: November 30, 2015, 05:56:26 PM »

The basis for my questions is think about bands like led zeppelin and pink floyd bands who are arguably more popular or more famous then Guns N Roses. I see daily on here people complaining as to what GNR has or hasn't done. Now for Led Zeppelin outside of the one off show they did a couple years ago and Pink Floyd when Roger & David appeared together at Live 8 i think it was do you think those fan bases clamor for a reunion like we do on here or do they just accept the fact that those bands will not perform together for whatever the reasons.

Now whether people liked the most recent line up or not is up to each persons own personal opinion but when you consider how popular the GNR name is and you look at other bands like the ones i mentioned who also have chosen not to get together for whatever the reasons i think we have actually been very fortunate we complain about only 1 album in 20 years how many has led zeppelin or pink floyd come out with and i know pink floyd recently did but i don't consider that pink floyd without Roger Waters.

So really think about what we have had in the past few years and whatever comes next whether its a reunion or a remodeled gnr we could have it much worse then what we have had.
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 06:09:25 PM »

yeah, that's it

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 06:21:57 PM »

You can't please everybody.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 06:36:06 PM »

No... we dont have it "THAT BAD"....

As Axl said, go on and live your life.  Wink

Honestly.... if not a scerick of new music was released.. id actually be ok with it.

I'd just be happy with some UYI shows on blue ray being released so i can relive the old days a bit more. lol
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 06:48:54 PM »

How many albums did Led Zep put out?  Like, 8?  In what, 10 or 11 years?  And one's a double.

We got an album, an EP, a double album and a covers album.  Do they match up, really?

Do we have it bad?  Well, I don't think we have it good. 

Here's what I mean by that.

I look at the other bands I am big fans of and see far better managed careers.  More productive careers.  I look at some other fanbases and think they have a good thing going.  Conversely, I don't think one fanbase anywhere looks at us with anything resembling envy. 

We're a cautionary fuckin' tale.  The ultimate case of what might have been in the hard rock genre.

End of the day, just a lot of wasted time with this band.  What we have is great stuff, but its impossible to really put a good spin on all this inactivity unless you are REALLY emotionally invested in thinking that. 

And if you are, you have a ready made list on how bands that are productive are doing something wrong, bands that find a way to stay together are sellouts, or whatever else you have to try and put the best face on.

To each their own though.  No matter what side you come down on, you are fairly certain you are right.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Thiago
Headliner

To all you idiots out there, in cocaine land!

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 06:58:20 PM »

to be a GNR fan sucks, but in a beautiful kind of way  Grin
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 07:08:42 PM »

How many albums did Led Zep put out?  Like, 8?  In what, 10 or 11 years?  And one's a double.

We got an album, an EP, a double album and a covers album.  Do they match up, really?

Do we have it bad?  Well, I don't think we have it good. 

Here's what I mean by that.

I look at the other bands I am big fans of and see far better managed careers.  More productive careers.  I look at some other fanbases and think they have a good thing going.  Conversely, I don't think one fanbase anywhere looks at us with anything resembling envy. 

We're a cautionary fuckin' tale.  The ultimate case of what might have been in the hard rock genre.

End of the day, just a lot of wasted time with this band.  What we have is great stuff, but its impossible to really put a good spin on all this inactivity unless you are REALLY emotionally invested in thinking that. 

And if you are, you have a ready made list on how bands that are productive are doing something wrong, bands that find a way to stay together are sellouts, or whatever else you have to try and put the best face on.

To each their own though.  No matter what side you come down on, you are fairly certain you are right.

The window of opportunity for more awesome music with the line ups that most fans respect has probably passed. Thats the sadness of it all. If we get a reunion, the odds of those guys putting an album together are 1 in 1000000 IMO. 
AHUGEAxlFan
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 08:51:04 PM »

Yeah, it sucks to have 6 albums of the best vocalist (IMO). I guess we have it bad when it comes to being treated as a fan. They don't really try to keep us satisfied on a consistent basis. Not complaining, I guess becuase their songs don't really age. CD is still ahead of its time

Join the new GNR forum. GNRnow.com we need help.

I love gnr, I hope you do to! Great band

-HugeAxlfan
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 09:06:10 PM »

One album of original material in around 24 years.
Yes, if records are what matter to you, it sucks. Particularly when we've been told however many times that there are a dozen or two 'amazing' songs just sitting there.

No you can't please everybody. But you can at least try to please the people who've stuck with you through the years and not treat them like the enemy. This band's persecution complex is like nothing I've ever seen in all of music.

I suppose it can only suck as much as you're invested in it. I always thought if CD did eventually come out, it'd probably be Axl's last album. When the reception was mixed and the promotion botched I thought that seemed fairly inevitable. Like it was something he really wouldn't want to put himself through again. So far, that seems to be the case.

At least from 2006 onwards, live shows have happened fairly consistently. If any other music ever comes out, to me it'll be a bonus. But I don't expect it to happen, however much jabbering we hear that it's right around the corner or this and that are being worked on. The Boys cried Wolf too many times a long time ago for me to put any stock in that.

The day I see a new GnR or Axl Rose album in store, I'll pick it up. But it's highly unlikely that will ever happen.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:13:07 PM by raindog » Logged
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 12:49:37 AM »

Between 1987-1991, Guns N Roses gave us music that was so incredible that we've clung to their every breath since then.  They did more in 4 years than most bands could give if they lived 1000 lifetimes.

I'd say we have it great, as long as we know when to let go.  I guess that's the key, some people just don't.
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 01:22:26 AM »

I don't think it's about knowing when to go. It's about wanting that late era masterpiece from Axl, which nobody would be expecting or hoping for if Axl and his associates/bandmates etc. hadn't repeatedly told us exists and is always right around some corner that we all never seem to turn.

Whether it's an author, singer or filmmaker, you can't allude to some great masterwork existing without fans of the existing stuff being hungry for it. To be honest I think Guns have capitalised on that idea very successfully.
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 02:23:35 AM »

I don't think it's about knowing when to go. It's about wanting that late era masterpiece from Axl, which nobody would be expecting or hoping for if Axl and his associates/bandmates etc. hadn't repeatedly told us

Ah, but if you had it within your personality to let go, you wouldn't be sitting around waiting for anything, regardless of what they told you.  You'd be (as Axl said himself) living your life, because that's your responsibility, not Axl's.  Fans sitting around waiting have only themselves to blame for not disconnecting themselves from the words, whims, and promises of total strangers.

Who the fuck's sitting around waiting? Seriously, where do you get that shit, baby?

I already said I don't expect him to release anything again. Jesus dude, take your smug condescension and stick it. You're hanging out on this forum too. What image do you have of your peers, they're all sitting around in empty rooms wearing bandanas and AXL sneakers and clutching their vinyl copy of Chinese crying over whether Axl Rose puts out a song or not? News flash: people like discussing entertainment for kicks, for a lark, for light relief. It doesn't mean they have nothing else going on in their life. Honest to God, if that's what you think you're way off base. I think I can speak for the vast majority here when I say the people who make the music I rock out, party, chill or make out to are a somewhat far secondary consideration in my life to say the least.

'If you had it in your personality to let go'  rofl

You do know you're on a moderately popular forum for a possibly defunct rock band, right? I don't think we all need to go lie down on the couch and talk about our mommies here. In fact the only person in this thread who seems to be taking this shit way too seriously is you.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 02:36:32 AM by raindog » Logged
Princess Leia
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 02:24:19 AM »

The basis for my questions is think about bands like led zeppelin and pink floyd bands who are arguably more popular or more famous then Guns N Roses. I see daily on here people complaining as to what GNR has or hasn't done. Now for Led Zeppelin outside of the one off show they did a couple years ago and Pink Floyd when Roger & David appeared together at Live 8 i think it was do you think those fan bases clamor for a reunion like we do on here or do they just accept the fact that those bands will not perform together for whatever the reasons.

Now whether people liked the most recent line up or not is up to each persons own personal opinion but when you consider how popular the GNR name is and you look at other bands like the ones i mentioned who also have chosen not to get together for whatever the reasons i think we have actually been very fortunate we complain about only 1 album in 20 years how many has led zeppelin or pink floyd come out with and i know pink floyd recently did but i don't consider that pink floyd without Roger Waters.

So really think about what we have had in the past few years and whatever comes next whether its a reunion or a remodeled gnr we could have it much worse then what we have had.

Well in the case of Zeppelin Bohan is dead so a full reunion is impossible. They decided to part ways. Page and Plant have done things together and on their own. Also as Led Zeppelin, during their pick they made a lot more albums than GN?R, same for Pink Floyd. Keep in mind that Waters kept doing things. Just a couple of years ago he came up with that musical The Wall and he tour around the world.

So if you compare catalogues, well Zeppelin and Pink Floyd (when they were all together) it is by far a lot bigger than when GN?R old band were together. And the one album Axl made with New GN?R didn?t make a big impact.  Too much soap opera, drama and comedy went on in the last 20 years with GN?R
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 02:29:52 AM »

Between 1987-1991, Guns N Roses gave us music that was so incredible that we've clung to their every breath since then.  They did more in 4 years than most bands could give if they lived 1000 lifetimes.

I'd say we have it great, as long as we know when to let go.  I guess that's the key, some people just don't.

How many songs do we have again?
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 02:34:45 AM »

How many songs do we have again?

I'd suggest reading Bridge's last response and possibly reconsidering attempting to engage on a rational level. Wink
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 04:44:41 AM »

I dont know what GNR fans really want.. I have Appetite, Lies Illusions, Incident and Chinese on Vinyl, CD and on my iphone.. Plays it mostly on Vinyl after my kids are in bed.. or in the car through BT. I also have the other releases, some bootlegs and DVDs... This is why i am a GNR fan... Dont dwel with the future.. its not our problem, its the band.. but i sure get excited when things happens... but until then.. be GNR fan you are.. not the one you want to be..
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:46:32 AM by Nytunz » Logged

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 07:04:43 AM »

Kudos to the original poster for starting this topic to remind people it's not as bad as it seems.

The usual suspects are of course here telling us it really s that bad or worse to be a GN'R fan. Poor poor them.
Have you noticed how many new threads have turned into them complaining about something lately? Reunion speculation is now about them complaining about Axl's interviews, CD seven years anniversary is about them complaining about the lack of the next album...

Poor us!

/jarmo
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 07:08:28 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 09:00:43 AM »

Truly strange that a 7 year anniversary thread for the last album should remind people that it's been 7 years since the last album.  ok
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 09:02:45 AM »

No you can't please everybody. But you can at least try to please the people who've stuck with you through the years and not treat them like the enemy. This band's persecution complex is like nothing I've ever seen in all of music.

I would say that persecution complex is evident more in some of their fans. 

But would also strongly suggest they are just taking that cue from their leader.  So, ultimately, I guess you are right.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 09:05:54 AM »

But is a topic like this a referendum on the quality of the work in their prime?  I think there is universal agreement that 4-5 years run was awesome.

This has nothing to do with the merit of the music produced.  I'd wager any of us would say we like the GNR material more than we like other bands stuff.

To me, this question comes down to what other fanbase trades places with us?  And the answer, I would think, is no one.

Is there some other fanbase that wishes their band was run like this one?  Are there other fanbases that opine, that Axl...man, that dude has the right idea.

Who?  Who is saying that?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: