Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 06:59:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Any significance? Axl switches from ASCAP to SESAC
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any significance? Axl switches from ASCAP to SESAC  (Read 42616 times)
Spirit
Legend

« on: January 15, 2016, 12:43:45 PM »

Axl is no longer registered as an ASCAP writer/composer. As far as I can tell he was with ASCAP up until a couple of weeks ago.

Apparently he is now with SESAC.

Some info about SESAC:

Whereas ASCAP and BMI operate on a not-for-profit basis, SESAC retains some income as profit. While ASCAP and BMI distribute all income from performance royalties to their composer and publisher affiliates (less an administrative fee), SESAC retains an undisclosed amount of performance royalty income. SESAC is also unique among the U.S. performing rights organizations in that it does not offer open membership ? one must be approved to join.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 07:01:02 PM »

Didn't get it. What's the benefit to be with SESAC?

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 07:46:50 PM »

I don't have any clue what you're saying
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:29:12 PM »

Axl is considering how new songs written in the future are managed at a time when the band have reformed.

One would guess there is an intention to write new material, so, nice find Sherlock  ok

ASCAP / SESAC et al are music publishers. Educate yourselves here; http://www.ascap.com/Home/Music-Career/articles-advice/ascapcorner/corner1.aspx
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 08:39:59 PM »

Not to disagree with mysteron..but they really aren't publishers. We are likely disagreeing over semantics, though.  They are essentially clearing houses (along with bmi), called PROs (performing rights organizations), that grant use licenses to places like radio stations, music halls, restaurants, venues, etc. This allows those places to play any/all songs from that entities (ascap, sesac,bmi) catalog of authorized material...and pay one fee, rather than per song. The size of the fee corresponds to the reach of the entity...so a radio station, say, pays more than a restaurant.

The pros track this stuff by reviewing playlist (for radio stations, etc) and by polling about music type (restaurants, bars, etc) played.

The answer to the original question is: because seacs distribution schedule, even keeping a portion of the proceeds, is more advantageous than ascaps, largely. Especially if there is current (post 2005) music being considered.

http://www.artistshousemusic.org/expert/what+is+the+difference+between+ascap+bmi+sesac+music+reports

http://blog.songtrust.com/songwriting-tips/pros-whats-the-difference/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:41:38 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 08:49:34 PM »

Not to disagree with mysteron..but they really aren't publishers. We are likely disagreeing over semantics, though.  They are essentially clearing houses (along with bmi), called PROs (performing rights organizations), that grant use licenses to places like radio stations, music halls, restaurants, venues, etc. This allows those places to play any/all songs from that entities (ascap, sesac,bmi) catalog of authorized material...and pay one fee, rather than per song. The size of the fee corresponds to the reach of the entity...so a radio station, say, pays more than a restaurant.

The pros track this stuff by reviewing playlist (for radio stations, etc) and by polling about music type (restaurants, bars, etc) played.

The answer to the original question is: because seacs distribution schedule, even keeping a portion of the proceeds, is more advantageous than ascaps, largely. Especially if there is current (post 2005) music being considered.

http://www.artistshousemusic.org/expert/what+is+the+difference+between+ascap+bmi+sesac+music+reports

Not going to disagree. I was just keeping my post short (typing on my phone) Smiley

I always count on you for the educational additions
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 08:57:32 PM »

Not going to disagree. I was just keeping my post short (typing on my phone) Smiley

isnt he amazing? hes our resident genius. cant have a good forum without one.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 09:00:46 PM »

I thought that was my roll

Hahahhahaha
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 09:24:22 PM »

I thought that was my roll

Hahahhahaha

everybody knows bacon and geniuses are of equal importance. you lose either one and the world goes to shit. japanese bacon sucks.... no fat, no grease. you have to actually add oil to the pan to cook it.

i guess you would be canadian bacon, being from canada and all? canadian bacon is good, but i really miss that american bacon.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 08:46:25 AM »

So it's a hint that he may have changed to be better suited in case of new music?

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 09:03:37 AM »

good job Spirit....always interested in the business side of things....helps kill the time between albums!  hihi

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 09:14:56 AM »

So it's a hint that he may have changed to be better suited in case of new music?

Pilferk will know for certain, but I think swapping to SESAC will only benefit newly released songs. Any older songs will still be paid through ASCAP
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 09:37:30 AM »

Pilferk will know for certain, but I think swapping to SESAC will only benefit newly released songs. Any older songs will still be paid through ASCAP
Thanks. Hopefully it will be for a purpose. Smiley

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 11:31:33 AM »

I don't think so actually. Axl is registered as an SESAC writer now, meaning any royalties he gets when any of the old songs are played will be managed through them.

Sweetness is a virtue
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 12:06:47 PM »

I don't think so actually. Axl is registered as an SESAC writer now, meaning any royalties he gets when any of the old songs are played will be managed through them.

I think the older songs are still registered with ASCAP even though Axl has moved. I think he still gets paid through ASCAP as an expired artist. Again, not 100% on that, I could be completely wrong. Someone told about all this years ago and half of it went in one ear and out the other  hihi

I saw Bob Dylan listed on the SESAC related site, so I think Knocking on Heavens Door could be a SESAC song
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 12:08:49 PM »

I think the older songs are still registered with ASCAP even though Axl has moved. I think he still gets paid through ASCAP as an expired artist. Again, not 100% on that, I could be completely wrong. Someone told about all this years ago and half of it went in one ear and out the other  hihi

I saw Bob Dylan listed on the SESAC related site, so I think Knocking on Heavens Door could be a SESAC song

If you search up any GNR song on ASCAP's register, Axl is registered as an SESAC writer for all songs.

Sweetness is a virtue
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 12:12:28 PM »

If you search up any GNR song on ASCAP's register, Axl is registered as an SESAC writer for all songs.

But the songs are still on ASCAP I presume
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 12:13:31 PM »

But the songs are still on ASCAP I presume

Yes, because people like Slash is registered with ASCAP.

Also, Black Frog is still an ASCAP publisher.

Sweetness is a virtue
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »

Axl's publishing deal is probably expiring soon, the one he originally made with Sanctuary.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 09:21:33 AM »

Good Info Thanks Gunners

ok

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: