Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 10:54:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227992 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Zakk Wylde: If GN'R came out today with WTTJ...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zakk Wylde: If GN'R came out today with WTTJ...  (Read 8045 times)
Spirit
Legend

« on: March 08, 2016, 09:43:29 PM »

Zakk Wylde says that it's a load of crap to say that younger bands don't have a chance in today's music environment.

The article:

Zakk Wylde: To Say that Younger Bands Don't Have a Chance Is a Load of Crap

Discussing his ridiculous cover of Adele's "Hello," Zakk Wylde touched on the matter of young bands, stressing it's "a load of crap" to say that the younger guys don't have a chance.

During the chat, he sang praises of Adele, calling her talent "undeniable."

The man tells Loudwire: "Everyone always says how the music business is shot, it's done, it's finished.

"But when you have somebody like Adele come along, that is just living proof that pure, god-given talent will always - like Freddie Mercury said, 'Talent will always out.' It always will.

"If Van Halen came out today, it would be as mind-blowing as when Eddie came out with 'Eruption' back in 1977. 'Cause it's undeniable. If Guns N' Roses came out today with 'Welcome to the Jungle,' it would still have the same crushing impact. Or Nirvana... I'm just saying, it's undeniably good.

"The music business is definitely different than back in the day, but to say that younger kids and younger bands will never have a chance - that's a load of crap. All they gotta to is keep working hard and they'll be heard, they'll be noticed for sure, without a doubt."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/zakk_wylde_to_say_that_younger_bands_dont_have_a_chance_is_a_load_of_crap.html

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 10:20:44 PM »

Much different for rock bands though, I think.

The days of being signed out of the clubs and given a 3-4 album deal to prove your worth...is that happening?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 10:51:11 PM »

I think in principle this is true.

But practically? Not so sure...

There is some good artists out there still having a crack... but 99% of what is making waves in the music scene these days is shit. I remember when Slash was last out here in Australia, he did an interview with Triple M... and they asked him about todays music and this was his answer, " The quality of todays commercial music is in the toilet". He then expanded on it and said something along the lines of all these talent shows like american idol and x-factor etc has fucked everything up. Not to mention youtube (thats another story). On top of that it depends what Genre you are speaking about... which leads to the next point....

It's hard to disagree with that opinion in my opinion. These labels are more willing to have a bunch of writers who have already written songs... then its a case of finding a face whos got sex appeal or a clean cut look (guys) or a heap of them and forming a boy or girl band and getting them to do the song..

You will always have an example of a supremely talented individual breaking through... that will always happen... but the way the business is today?Huh?? Not sure... the last rock band.. that kind of broke through was Kings of Leon... theyve had 2 mainstream albums now.. and not much since thats made any waves down our way.... since then? i dunno....

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 07:35:13 AM »

You will always have an example of a supremely talented individual breaking through... that will always happen... but the way the business is today?Huh?? Not sure... the last rock band.. that kind of broke through was Kings of Leon... theyve had 2 mainstream albums now.. and not much since thats made any waves down our way.... since then? i dunno....
QOTSA too (albeit they are a bit older).

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 08:43:05 AM »

Much different for rock bands though, I think.

The days of being signed out of the clubs and given a 3-4 album deal to prove your worth...is that happening?

I don't think those kind of album deals are happening today.

But on the other hand, there are cheaper and easier ways for rock acts to get their music out there today, reaching many people.

With this easiness comes the problem of over-saturation of course, you have to make sure you stand out among a bigger crowd of bands. I guess that was Zakk's point, if the true talent is there, you will stand out and make an impact. It is possible.

The trouble seem to be that the truly impactful bands are few and far between these days. Could it be a culture of not working as hard on your art as they did in earlier days? Not sure.

Sweetness is a virtue
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 09:40:34 AM »

I guess you have to make your own breaks a bit more today.

Freedom is great, but guess it does indirectly cost you some things like promotion and contacts.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 10:40:17 AM »

Back on booze zaKK?  Grin
EvilSmurf
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 01:50:09 PM »

Rock isn't the music dujour right now (but it will be back).

If a band builds a following both in live shows and with a strong online presence (Spotify, YouTube, Facebook, etc.) and the songs are awesome they will definitely have a career.

However, people's tastes are so fractured now thanks to all the various distribution channels that you may never have a "super" band like GNR or U2. I like it better today anyway because I can listen to the music I want when I want instead of waiting around for it on MTV or the radio.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 02:02:31 PM »

I agree somewhat.... not sure GnR or Nirvana would be big in today's music scene.  I think for them it was the right place, at the right time.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 08:44:43 AM »

The glam scene was cool because it was legit...The bands of the time were being outrageous and paying homage to their inspirations..GNR came out and were genuine with their tamed down glam look and auto-biographic songs..The changed the 80's glam genre and were the true introduction to the gritty grunge movement of the 90's...
Ringoturtle
Headliner

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 10:38:49 AM »

I don't think GNR would have nearly the same impact. Van Halen...hell no. people aren't interestetd in Hard Rock and guitar solos anymore. at least not the mainstream. I'd see better chances for Nirvana having a "impact" in todays music-scene. they always had that emovibe and Kurt was kind of a hipster.

All my statements represent MY OPINION. If not, I'll say so by posting references or the like
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 11:07:44 AM »

I agree somewhat.... not sure GnR or Nirvana would be big in today's music scene.  I think for them it was the right place, at the right time.

I agree to a certain extent.  I guess I'm being idealistic when I say this, but I think the GNR's and Nirvana's would catch on to some degree whenever they released music.  I believe that the time they hit the scene was a time when bands like that were much needed.  They might not be the mega stars today that both bands were back in their heyday, but you would still know of them. 
Annie
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 11:53:30 AM »

Zakk Wylde says that it's a load of crap to say that younger bands don't have a chance in today's music environment.

The article:

Zakk Wylde: To Say that Younger Bands Don't Have a Chance Is a Load of Crap

Discussing his ridiculous cover of Adele's "Hello," Zakk Wylde touched on the matter of young bands, stressing it's "a load of crap" to say that the younger guys don't have a chance.

During the chat, he sang praises of Adele, calling her talent "undeniable."

The man tells Loudwire: "Everyone always says how the music business is shot, it's done, it's finished.

"But when you have somebody like Adele come along, that is just living proof that pure, god-given talent will always - like Freddie Mercury said, 'Talent will always out.' It always will.

"If Van Halen came out today, it would be as mind-blowing as when Eddie came out with 'Eruption' back in 1977. 'Cause it's undeniable. If Guns N' Roses came out today with 'Welcome to the Jungle,' it would still have the same crushing impact. Or Nirvana... I'm just saying, it's undeniably good.

"The music business is definitely different than back in the day, but to say that younger kids and younger bands will never have a chance - that's a load of crap. All they gotta to is keep working hard and they'll be heard, they'll be noticed for sure, without a doubt."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/zakk_wylde_to_say_that_younger_bands_dont_have_a_chance_is_a_load_of_crap.html
I think he makes an excellent point. Great art will make people stand up and take notice. The musical HAMILTON is another example. Who would have ever thought that a hip hop musical about a foumding father would take Broadway and the country by storm. Personally I think the soundtrack to that musical could be described as the Love Child of Appetite for Destruction  and Staight Outta Compton.
TheSyxer
Opening Act

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 04:54:37 PM »

I don't think his point is valid.

Using Adele as 'proof' that talent always rises to the top is pretty laughable.  She's an ok vocalist, semi-decent songwriter who pairs up with professional songwriters to create nice ballads.  She's certainly no indicator that talent is always rewarded, as there are hundreds of better songwriters than her.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 05:02:03 PM »

She's certainly no indicator that talent is always rewarded, as there are hundreds of better songwriters than her.

Not sure how you'll back up this statement.

Is there any information to how big a part in the writing of each song she had? She has co-writing credits for almost all her songs.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheSyxer
Opening Act

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 05:13:07 PM »

Hard to back up.

I like Adele and like 21 ('Someone Like You' being the obvious stand out, 'Don't You Remember' and 'Lovesong' are good album tracks)

I am involved in the music scene and I actually know Dan Wilson(who co-wrote two of the above) so I'm aware of what she brought to those particular songs.

raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 10:18:12 AM »

There haven't been good memorable riffs and hooks in a rock song in a long time, that stick in peoples' heads. Rock riffs occasionally make their way into other genres.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »

There haven't been good memorable riffs and hooks in a rock song in a long time, that stick in peoples' heads. Rock riffs occasionally make their way into other genres.

Seven Nation Army is the last one I can think of that's now part of mainstream consciousness. 

Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 11:39:04 AM »

Just had a look and saw that Seven Nation Army came out 13 years ago now.  Meaning we are now further away in time from that song than that song is from Use Your Illusions  confused

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 12:05:14 PM »

Just had a look and saw that Seven Nation Army came out 13 years ago now.  Meaning we are now further away in time from that song than that song is from Use Your Illusions  confused

Yeah, that's nuts.  I'd throw in the 'Take Me Out' riff as a personal favorite from the 2000s, though obviously it's not as popular as SNA.  But even that was 12 years ago. 
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: