Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 01:13:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Adler cancels show at the Whisky (was: Adler in)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adler cancels show at the Whisky (was: Adler in)  (Read 36066 times)
cc4sc
Opening Act

« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2016, 08:16:21 PM »

If it was GN'R, they wouldn't have announced it as Hollywood Roses - a real band.

They would either have used a fictional band name, called it a "surprise performer" or just plainly said it'll be GN'R.
Not necessarily so...don't know why people aren't considering the possibility that Hollywood Roses ARE going to play...but why can't the real GnR come on late into the night?  Maybe they come on at 1am and technically when the Whisky reiterated several times that Gn'R isn't playing on April 1st, they're technically being honest.

So, if their plan works and they get everybody to believe that GN'R won't be there, they end up selling a couple hundred tickets for the event.

GN'R then comes on to play for a half-capacity Whisky A Go-Go?

They are confusing the hell out of everyone, so I'm not even sure if they really want people to believe Gn'R won't be there. I think they know they need to keep a balance or things could get way out of hand. Of course, we are talking as of right now (today) no announcement has been made. They probably also realize on gig day, people will start to figure it out (example, the Gn'R equipment truck may be parked in the back parking lot or something).  They also realize fans are die-hard, so there will be plenty of people sticking around. Words spread fast.  This reminds of what Prince has been doing; announce on night of the show recently and come on stage at like 2AM.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2016, 08:21:42 PM »

If it was GN'R, they wouldn't have announced it as Hollywood Roses - a real band.

They would either have used a fictional band name, called it a "surprise performer" or just plainly said it'll be GN'R.
Not necessarily so...don't know why people aren't considering the possibility that Hollywood Roses ARE going to play...but why can't the real GnR come on late into the night?  Maybe they come on at 1am and technically when the Whisky reiterated several times that Gn'R isn't playing on April 1st, they're technically being honest.

So, if their plan works and they get everybody to believe that GN'R won't be there, they end up selling a couple hundred tickets for the event.

They are confusing the hell out of everyone, so I'm not even sure if they really want people to believe Gn'R won't be there. I think they know they need to keep a balance or things could get way out of hand. Of course, we are talking as of right now (today) no announcement has been made. They probably also realize on gig day, people will start to figure it out (example, the Gn'R equipment truck may be parked in the back parking lot or something).  They also realize fans are die-hard, so there will be plenty of people sticking around. Words spread fast.  This reminds of what Prince has been doing; announce on night of the show recently and come on stage at like 2AM.

That a strange game for them to play though. Using every opportunity they got to emphasize that GN'R won't be there, while still being very sure of themselves that people won't buy what they are saying.

I have more faith in them playing The Troubadour on the 30th.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
cc4sc
Opening Act

« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2016, 08:27:11 PM »

That a strange game for them to play though. Using every opportunity they got to emphasize that GN'R won't be there, while still being very sure of themselves that people won't buy what they are saying.

I have more faith in them playing The Troubadour on the 30th.
If I had to bet money, I'd say Gn'R won't be there. Then again, I also question why the Whisky would go through all this if NOTHING is in the works? I think they got excited, overstepped their bounce and gave out too many hints and have had to serious backtrack to appease someone (the band, management, AEG, who knows?). I also give credence to what Eddie Trunk had previously posted.... 
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2016, 08:36:52 PM »

If I had to bet money, I'd say Gn'R won't be there. Then again, I also question why the Whisky would go through all this if NOTHING is in the works? I think they got excited, overstepped their bounce and gave out too many hints and have had to serious backtrack to appease someone (the band, management, AEG, who knows?). I also give credence to what Eddie Trunk had previously posted.... 

This is what I think happened:

- Adler canceled for whatever reason (that might still be GN'R related).

- The Whisky didn't think it through when they teased a "big announcement" with the GNR hashtag. This was their first and biggest mistake.

- Hollywood Roses gets booked, and the Whisky tries to save themselves by saying "Come hear all the #GunsnRoses hits!!" in the announcement. Sort of justifying the hashtag they used in the teaser tweet from before.

- The gig gets sold out in record time, and the alarm goes off at the Whisky. Hollywood Roses is not expected to sell this well...

- They see they crazy social media activity about this being a secret GNR show. They panic.

- They start writing disclaimers everywhere, including mailing the ticket buyers informing them that this is NOT GNR.

- People still don't believe them, so they refund all the tickets and once again say that GNR won't be there, but Hollywood Roses will be and tickets can be bought at the door. I'm sure the people showing up on the night will once again be warned that this gig is not GNR before they buy the tickets.

Sweetness is a virtue
cc4sc
Opening Act

« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2016, 08:42:06 PM »

- The Whisky didn't think it through when they teased a "big announcement" with the GNR hashtag. This was their first and biggest mistake.

- Hollywood Roses gets booked, and the Whisky tries to save themselves by saying "Come hear all the #GunsnRoses hits!!" in the announcement. Sort of justifying the hashtag they used in the teaser tweet from before.

- The gig gets sold out in record time, and the alarm goes off at the Whisky. Hollywood Roses is not expected to sell this well...

- They see they crazy social media activity about this being a secret GNR show. They panic.

- They start writing disclaimers everywhere, including mailing the ticket buyers informing them that this is NOT GNR.

- People still don't believe them, so they refund all the tickets and once again say that GNR won't be there, but Hollywood Roses will be and tickets can be bought at the door. I'm sure the people showing up on the night will once again be warned that this gig is not GNR before they buy the tickets.

Agree with much of what you just said, but 2 other things happened and that was about a week prior, the Whisky had already posted a Gn'R hastag and a picture of Axl.  Furthermore, Eddie Trunk essentially corroborated what the Whisky posted at that time, then again saying he was happy for Steven Adler's good news despite Adler cancelling (and that he was giving out an obvious hint). 
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2016, 08:46:15 PM »

I think Eddie Trunk just read Whisky's Adler cancelation tweet the same way we all did. They made it sound like Steven canceled and there would be a big Guns N Roses announcement coming.

That announcement haven't come yet.

EDIT: If you read Eddie's next tweet he says: "I don't know anything about warm up shows? As far as I know the Vegas shows are the debuts which are public"
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 08:50:03 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
cc4sc
Opening Act

« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2016, 08:56:48 PM »

I think Eddie Trunk just read Whisky's Adler cancelation tweet the same way we all did. They made it sound like Steven canceled and there would be a big Guns N Roses announcement coming.

That announcement haven't come yet.

EDIT: If you read Eddie's next tweet he says: "I don't know anything about warm up shows? As far as I know the Vegas shows are the debuts which are public"
Your first point: I think Eddie Trunk is well respected and definitely knows what's going on...beside the fact that he's friends with the band.
2nd point: The way I read ET's quote is that someone was questioning his insider knowledge and he's replaying, you think "I don't know anything about warm up shows"?  Notice the question mark?  Then he says the Vegas shows are the debuts which are public, implying there is a private show that he IS aware of....
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2016, 08:58:50 PM »

Then he says the Vegas shows are the debuts which are public, implying there is a private show that he IS aware of....

It couldn't be this Whisky show then, because it's public.

Sweetness is a virtue
cc4sc
Opening Act

« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2016, 09:02:14 PM »

Then he says the Vegas shows are the debuts which are public, implying there is a private show that he IS aware of....

I think you are taking things a bit too literally.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2016, 09:03:04 PM »

What do you mean?

Sweetness is a virtue
aaronjcurtis
Headliner

« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2016, 10:25:15 PM »

Agree with much of what you just said, but 2 other things happened and that was about a week prior, the Whisky had already posted a Gn'R hastag and a picture of Axl.  Furthermore, Eddie Trunk essentially corroborated what the Whisky posted at that time, then again saying he was happy for Steven Adler's good news despite Adler cancelling (and that he was giving out an obvious hint). 

This is why it would be nice if the GN'R camp made some sort of official announcement. They must love watching all this go down. Never has one band been so secretive. Or, it's us.... Wink
cc4sc
Opening Act

« Reply #151 on: March 25, 2016, 12:19:06 AM »

What do you mean?
Meaning Trunk implied there is a PRIVATE show in the works, but if "Hollywood Roses" is suppose to be Gn'R and people are buying tickets, then it's really not a "private" show.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2016, 12:26:03 AM »

I don't think Trunk implied that.

He simply said as far as he knew the debut shows of GN'R are the Vegas ones, and they are public.

When he says debut shows, he means the very first shows.

This doesn't mean GN'R might play a club in LA before Vegas, just that Trunk didn't know of such shows.

Sweetness is a virtue
lostdream
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2016, 11:32:40 AM »

It would be SO GnR if they showed up...great in the best way imaginable 😂👍
If I lived in LA - I would definitely go. If it's "only"
the Coverband - would still be fun! 💃

...We take for granted we know the whole story. We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines...
ChiDem2010
Rocker

« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2016, 01:33:56 PM »

Don't know if this is relevant or garbage:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/report_steven_adler_is_definitely_joining_guns_n_roses_this_is_what_he_looks_like_these_days.html?no_takeover
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2016, 02:40:27 PM »

If he is "back in the band" i would imagine it is in a guest spot capacity, since the only semi confirmation we have a line up clearly shows Franks signature on the drum head.
dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2016, 02:48:56 PM »

If he is "back in the band" i would imagine it is in a guest spot capacity, since the only semi confirmation we have a line up clearly shows Franks signature on the drum head.

Very well could be Adler doing the Appetite songs and Frank doing Illusion and CD songs. Or Adler just doing 3 or 4 Appetite songs

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2016, 03:20:38 PM »

It would mess up the flow of the show switching drummers back and forth.

I could maybe see him coming out and doing the encore, but only if it were something like 'Mama Kin' and then 'Paradise City'.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Continental_Drift
Headliner

MaoAxl (98-12)

« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2016, 04:11:59 PM »

Yeah- not sure you can trade Steven/Frank in and out w/o irritating the audience- and quite possibly disrupting the band. Seems to me it's Frank's gig- but maybe you could structure in a "SCOM", "Patience" and "PC" encore or something with Steven on drums (and Izzy if ever available/willing). I think an Appetite-era section like that would probably need to be the "cherry on top" and pushed to the rear of the show though- or else your risk a "buzz kill" effect (and Frank's my favorite GNR drummer so no disrespect intended).

#GnFnR
Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2016, 04:21:50 PM »

Could be.

Or it could be that it was finalized sometime after the drum head was signed.

-KK
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: